Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #77

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it is like that expert said - I posted the link a couple of times way back in the threads - "It is not about whether most people will wear masks, it is about when most people will wear masks". How bad things have to be before that happens.
Or what others are doing. My brother went to a bar with friends. He had planned to wear one, but since no one else was wearing one, guess what...

True. Hard to get that bonding off eBay or Amazon. Not to mention that retail therapy is really a thing- even with no purchase. Along the same vein, I already miss the samples at Costco & Sam’s Club. And restaurants that have closed. We are going to have to reinvent how we bond, entertain, recreate, etc. in a post-covid world. I think some things are never coming back. Jmo

I feel that many of these venues will return after this virus is defeated and it will be defeated. JMO

One in Three Americans Would Not Get COVID-19 Vaccine

I in 3 Americans would not get a vaccine, even if free.

3 in 4 adults around the world say they would get a COVID-19 vaccine

This is a world survey which has 3 out of 4 accepting a vaccine.
I found these results suspect. That’s because they are old. A week or so later, less than half of Americans said they would get the vaccine. This article, updated September 4th (almost a month after yours), states that 2/3 will not get the vaccine as soon as it’s available.

A month ago, I would have answered yes, too. But many of us feel differently now that it feels like the timing is suspect. My answer now is no way. Not before 2021. Not until I feel its safety has been proven.

COVID-19: Two-thirds in US won't take vaccine right away, poll shows

I found these results suspect. That’s because they are old. A week or so later, less than half of Americans said they would get the vaccine. This article, updated September 4th (almost a month after yours), states that 2/3 will not get the vaccine as soon as it’s available.

A month ago, I would have answered yes, too. But many of us feel differently now that it feels like the timing is suspect. My answer now is no way. Not before 2021. Not until I feel its safety has been proven.

That is not correct. That figure comes from adding two categories together. Only 23% said they wouldn't get it at all. 44% would wait till others had taken it (so presumably after the Phase III trial finishes at end of September). That 44% plus the 33% remaining said yes or undecided comes to 77% would take it by my calculations. USA Today have spun it negatively. I've added the undecided onto the yes side - if MSM can add categories then so can I :)

"The USA TODAY/Suffolk poll found that about two-thirds of the 1,000 voters surveyed – 67% – would either not take the vaccine until others have tried it (44%) or not take it at all (23%)"

Also, the second link I posted was IPSOS from early September, so that was not a month old and it lists many countries. The US is on that list as 67% being interested in a vaccine. So all sources say at least two thirds.

I have never heard of the Suffolk poll before but Gallup and IPSOS are well known polling groups.

Last edited:
<snipped>

I have never heard of the Suffolk poll before but Gallup and IPSOS are well known polling groups.

Just an FYI .... Suffolk polls are pretty well known in the US. Suffolk University is in Boston, and their research centre has been conducting polls since 2002.

Gallup is probably the most known polling group. imo Having been around since 1935. IPSOS since 1975.

Polls - Suffolk University

Just an FYI .... Suffolk polls are pretty well known in the US. Suffolk University is in Boston, and their research centre has been conducting polls since 2002.

Gallup is probably the most known polling group. imo Having been around since 1935. IPSOS since 1975.

Polls - Suffolk University

They have only recently got into international polling so that's probably why I have never heard of them before. From the link -

"Starting in 2017 with France, SUPRC is moving toward expanding into international polling and survey research."

This article below is worrying. Anti vax rumours should be addressed as much as other Covid conspiracy theories. FB, Twitter etc need to step up or be accused of sabotaging the vaccine efforts.

Coronavirus: Facebook, Twitter and YouTube 'fail to tackle anti-vaccination posts'

"Social networks are failing to tackle coronavirus-related anti-vaccination posts containing "clearly harmful information" even after the material is brought to their attention, according to a campaign group.
It flagged more than 900 examples to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube via a team of volunteers.
It said the firms did not remove or otherwise deal with 95% of the cases.
The four platforms each have policies designed to restrict such content.
The Center for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH) said UK lawmakers should accelerate existing plans to hold the companies to account as a consequence.
The US firms were shown a copy of the report ahead of its publication."

Continued at link above.

New interview below.

Kamala Harris a COVID-19 vaccine before election: 'I would not trust Donald Trump'

" Democratic vice presidential nominee Kamala Harris, said she would not trust President Trump’s word on the effectiveness of a coronavirus vaccine, in an interview expected to air Sunday.

Harris voiced concerns that medical professionals would not be the ones to validate a vaccine, if it was pushed out prior to the Nov. 3 election.

“[T]hey’ll be muzzled, they’ll be suppressed, they will be sidelined, because he’s looking at an election coming up in less than 60 days, and he’s grasping for whatever he can get to pretend that he’s been a leader on this issue when he’s not,” Harris said during the CNN interview.

“I will say that I would not trust Donald Trump and it would have to be a credible source of information that talks about the efficacy and the reliability of whatever he's talking about,” she added.

CDC: CORONAVIRUS VACCINE COULD ARRIVE IN OCTOBER, NOVEMBER; ASKS STATES TO PREPARE

Reports of Food and Drug Administration (FDA) officials feeling pressure to produce a vaccine as soon as possible, surfaced earlier this week in a CNN article. The Trump administration also asked states to prepare vaccine distribution sites by Nov. 1 – even though the FDA has not yet approved a vaccine."

Continued at link

Last edited:
SEPTEMBER 4, 2020

35 Places You're Most Likely to Catch COVID | Eat This Not That

Threat levels are provided on a scale of one to 10, with one being the safest and 10 being the riskiest. These levels are estimated using CDC guidelines and the Texas Medical Association's risk rankings.

Staying at a Hotel Threat Level: 4
hotel-room-key.jpg

Going to an Art Museum Threat Level: 4
museum-culture.jpg

Getting Gas Threat Level: 2
pumping-gas.jpg

Going on a Trip With Friends Threat Level: 6
friends-roadtrip-selfie-car.jpg

At this point, everyone is getting antsy for a sense of normalcy. If your normalcy involves a fun end-of-summer trip with friends, it may seem safe enough to book a weekend beach getaway by now. But even if your friends are feeling fine, you could be putting yourself at risk.

As much as 40% of people infected with COVID-19 are asymptomatic and have no idea they're carrying the virus, according to the CDC. If you spend a long weekend in close quarters with a friend who's asymptomatic, chances are you'll contract coronavirus, along with your other friends.

Dinner at a Friend's House Inside Threat Level: 6 or higher
dinner-party.jpg

It's easy to assume that hanging out with a small group of friends at someone's house is safe. However, the two most important elements to stop the transmission of COVID-19 are mask wearing and social distancing, according to the CDC. If you're at a friend's house with someone who's infected, you're in a dangerous spot. Chances are your friends aren't socially distancing or wearing masks while having dinner inside, which may spread the virus to all dinner party attendees—not to mention, there may be poor ventilation. Golden rule: Eat outdoors. Outside is always better than inside.

Coronavirus: India now has the second highest number of COVID-19 cases in the world

India has surpassed Brazil to become the second-worst affected country in the world by the coronavirus pandemic.

A total of 90,802 new cases have been registered overnight, taking the total number of cases to 4,204,613.

It has taken just 13 days for India to go from three to four million cases, while it took Brazil 25 and the US 16 days.

I think you can tell how bad things are in India. Look at this pic of their usually-packed trains.

xx2.JPG

Coronavirus live news: France could face 'critical' winter, expert says; Oxford vaccine production under way

The number one reason given by US citizens as to why they are not wearing face masks “is that it is their right as an American not to do so”, according to a poll by Brookings.

The US research group says its latest findings suggest that “American individualism” is the perhaps the leading reason why about 20% of people in the country are still not wearing face masks in public.

The data reveals that a combined 64% of Americans believe that their right to not have to be inconvenienced by wearing a mask or scarf over their face is more important than reducing the probability of getting sick or infecting others.

You can read more on the Brookings website.

Coronavirus live news: France could face 'critical' winter, expert says; Oxford vaccine production under way

I don't think it affects vaccine development at all. And understanding the difference between cytokines and bradykines is beyond me - but I do know that cytokines are "toxic chemicals" that spill out of dead cells. When one's immune system attacks one's own cells as a last ditch effort to clear a virus, cells die and the residue can build up in the body and kill a person.

Bradykines are apparently more specific. They are part of the blood-pressure regulating system. Here's something from a pharmaceutical company that sells something to regulate them:

"Bradykinin is released from mast cells during asthma attacks, from gut walls as a gastrointestinal vasodilator, from damaged tissues as a pain signal, and may act as a neurotransmitter. It directly activates afferent neurons via G protein-coupled bradykinin B2 receptors."

IOW, bradykines are released by epithelial cells (the ones targeted by CoVid) and apparently CoVId upregulates (causes over production) of ACE-2 receptors and of bradykines.

Interestingly, they are involve in the neurochemistry of pain, and as the article states, can cause deterioration of blood vessels (hence the clotting problem) but also reduction of the effectiveness of the brain/body barrier.

It's possible that we're seeing neuro and neuropsychiatric symptoms in some of the milder cases - I'd like to think some of the strange behavior we've seen could be related to that (paranoia in particular).

The loss of sense of smell/taste is taking place outside the gray cells of the brain (apparently). Losing sense of smell/taste is not a sign that the brain barrier has been breached, but some of the symptoms in the very ill are caused by insult to the brain.

Also explained by bradykines would be the heart wall thickening as well as the cardiac arrhythmias.

it is always hard for me to retain such complex data--but the statement about the "bradykinis having been overlooked" struck me. My guess is the newest research will be addressing it more, and answering more questions.

I am wondering if people still feel the need to stockpile for the second wave?

It seems to me that it is not so urgent now.

What do you all think?

I dunno ... France is afraid of a 'critical winter' ... the UK is concerned about all the new cases in the 17-21 demograph. Will that mean imminent/future lockdowns?

France:
Today, we have a rise in the number of new cases a week of 30% and a 15% increase in the number of hospital admissions a week. If this rhythm continues, we will reach a critical situation in several regions of France in December.
It is better to act now, the earlier we act the less strict the measures will be and the fewer will be … if we wait 15 days it will be harder and longer.

UK:
After almost 3,000 people tested positive for Covid-19 on Sunday, a 50% rise in a single day and the highest daily total since May, Hancock said the UK could soon start to see a renewed rise in hospital admissions.
The rise in the number of cases we’ve seen over the last few days is largely among younger people – under-25s, especially between 17 and 21. The message to all your younger listeners is that even though you’re at lower risk of dying from Covid if you’re under 25, you can still have really serious symptoms and consequences.

I'm sure many here are wondering if, and how, vaccines will be allocated ethically throughout the world. This article, in the Journal Science, (3 Sept. 2020) gives an excellent run down about the issue.

An ethical framework for global vaccine allocation

The Fair Priority Model is primarily addressed to three groups. One is the COVAX facility—led by Gavi, the World Health Organization (WHO), and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI)—which intends to purchase vaccines for fair distribution across countries (5). A second group is vaccine producers. Thankfully, many producers have publicly committed to a “broad and equitable” international distribution of vaccine (2). The last group is national governments, some of whom have also publicly committed to a fair distribution (1).

These groups need a clear framework for reconciling competing values, one that they and others will rightly accept as ethical and not just as an assertion of power. The Fair Priority Model specifies what a fair distribution of vaccines entails, giving content to their commitments. Moreover, acceptance of this common ethical framework will reduce duplication and waste, easing efforts at a fair distribution. That, in turn, will enhance producers’ confidence that vaccines will be fairly allocated to benefit people, thereby motivating an increase in vaccine supply for international distribution.

This mad dash among all these research organizations is just going to keep pumping out promises. It is the name of the game, when the prize is so valuable. I doubt some countries will live by a "Fair Priority Model".......

Bars are not open in NC.
(although there are ones that are secretly open, word of mouth via locals)

In our county in FL, all bars just started serving food. That got their doors open. Though there are special laws addressing % of sales for food vs booze, no one is really checking. And the bars are, again, are experiencing a boom in business.

Thanks for the updated clarity. This is what i have seen around me as well.... earlier probability to accept a vaccine, but now not so much. This is a relatively small study, but the trend is significant. And it says "much older" and "very young adults are more likely to take it. hmmm???

This article is basically quoting the USA Today article, but shows how the pubic mistrust is not isolated to a vaccine, people are wary of the executive order on plasma too.

Two-thirds of Americans say they won’t get a coronavirus vaccine

I am wondering if people still feel the need to stockpile for the second wave?

It seems to me that it is not so urgent now.

What do you all think?
I’ll prob do moderate stockpiling of necessary or favorite things. Only because bizarre sections of grocery & pharmacy aisles are laid bare still- as if pre-hurricane. Which aisles are hit varies week to week. One day there’s no meat, the next no dairy, the next no baking. And to get my ONE allowed per customer tub of disinfecting wipes, I have to be at Walmart, in line, before 7AM & make a beeline for the cleaning section. So yeah- I don’t see cold & flu season, the tail end of hurricane season, election chaos, plus the holiday season helping with any of that. I plan to complete the last ⅔ of my Christmas shopping online by Halloween. Because you won’t see me anywhere near black Friday, malls, or mail centers come Nov 1. But that’s just me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member