Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #78

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
White House News Conference today on the federal government's distribution plan for vaccine(s) once the FDA approves safety of a vaccine or perhaps several vaccines. There will be 51,000 distribution outlets across the country (which includes 14,000 federally-approved health centers, if I heard this right), the military will be involved with the logistics, and the distribution will begin within 24 hours of the FDA's approval. IT is involved due to the need to trace the first dose in the event the vaccine that is approved requires a second dose. The priorities will be first responders and health care workers, and high risk elderly and others deemed at high risk. If the vaccine is approved this fall, vaccinations for these groups will be completed by January (with the caveat that this depends on FDA date of approval). They started working on the distribution plan months ago so they would be ready when a vaccine is approved, and the distribution plan is apparently available on HHS website. A reporter asked about refrigeration if it would be needed for one of the vaccine candidates currently in trials, and the response was that these logistics have been included in the distribution plan, and the military's logistics.

Very encouraging news conference.

President Trump News Conference | C-SPAN.org

Forgive me for excessive jaded cynicism. I had a flu shot two weeks ago at Costco. My husband, who is a disabled veteran, and gets his care at the VA clinic, I asked his VA doctor when the flu vaccine will be available at the VA. Her response floored me, she said that they have not yet received any flu vaccines.

Shouldn't veterans be first in line to get access to flu vaccines? This isn't even Covid, just flu. A majority of veterans are Vietnam era, Korean War, WWII, older, more disabled than the general population. They don't have access to a FLU SHOT! Here it is, middle of September, no flu vaccine at the VA clinics.

I am taking my husband to Costco for a flu shot next week. Forget the VA. This is an "example" of government "efficiency" for vaccines.

I said "heart and lungs," I believe. If I did not say heart and lungs, I apologize, but it was specifically the heart damage that constitutes the lingering problem.

The 80% is an estimate (due to the fact that asymptomatic populations often do not present for treatment, so of course that has to be taken into account).

In longterm studies in Wuhan (a place that has enough cases and enough longitude for this kind of thing), 77% of patients still had mild to severe lung pathologies after 3 months. 17% had abnormal heart rhythms not detected before CoVid. Not everyone had both - so about 80%).

Keep in mind that Wuhan tested its entire population, so the data include all ages. So far, not many studies on the correlation between mild cases and mild pathologies - but the null hypothesis (common sense) would say that milder or asymptomatic cases have fewer pathologies, and so far, each dip into the data seems to show that's true (so children have the mildest symptoms).

Still, those who watch this science think there's cause for alarm (please don't respond to me about whether or not you think China has good data - I've posted several times about why scientists think China has good data, you don't have to accept it, but I am giving you my professional opinion on this).

Data from Italy says similar.

Other things that may occur to asymptomatic or younger people that are of concern to medical researchers include new onset of diabetes, erasure of bone marrow immunity (T cells), and in several concerning new studies: stillbirths. It's too soon to say that the virus itself caused the stillbirths (naturally, not all of the mothers were tested for CoVid - the data is international). One hypothesis is that CoVid is doing something to the placent (it's a vascular/epithelial disease, after all, not a respiratory one) but another hypothesis is that mothers are not going to the doctor either out of fear or because medical systems are strained.

Milder cases cause less damage, it's clear - but still can have damage. We'd know more if we could study many more people, because those with few symptoms aren't going for testing - or lung pictures - in most cases. Certainly, in the US, no one is getting a lung x-ray just because they tested positive for CoVid. If they have mild to moderate symptoms, they'll be sent home. If their moderate symptoms get worse, unless their symptoms are severe, they will be sent home to self-quarantine and use mostly OTC meds for treatment (1 in 10 will end up hospitalized eventually, of that group).

But the question is, shouldn't the public have all the various data in front of them before they send their kids to school? And even if children aren't involved, we should all know that the risks are very much under study - and rather concerning.
I didn't disparage data from China - I posted data from China myself that I checked because of the 80% claim in your post mentioned by another poster which was misleading, as your post appeared to be saying 80% of all cases, rather than 80% of hospitalizations, that's all. The link I found does not support 80% of all cases.

Forgive me for excessive jaded cynicism. I had a flu shot two weeks ago at Costco. My husband, who is a disabled veteran, and gets his care at the VA clinic, I asked his VA doctor when the flu vaccine will be available at the VA. Her response floored me, she said that they have not yet received any flu vaccines.

Shouldn't veterans be first in line to get access to flu vaccines? This isn't even Covid, just flu. A majority of veterans are Vietnam era, Korean War, WWII, older, more disabled than the general population. They don't have access to a FLU SHOT! Here it is, middle of September, no flu vaccine at the VA clinics.

I am taking my husband to Costco for a flu shot next week. Forget the VA. This is an "example" of government "efficiency" for vaccines.
If the VA was the lead agency for a national distribution of the Covid vaccine I would be worried. There's still time for everyone to get the flu vaccine. It's still very early. JMO
In the United States, flu season occurs in the fall and winter. While influenza viruses circulate year-round, most of the time flu activity peaks between December and February, but activity can last as late as May.

The Flu Season | CDC

Deleted, wrong year

I said "heart and lungs," I believe. If I did not say heart and lungs, I apologize, but it was specifically the heart damage that constitutes the lingering problem.

The 80% is an estimate (due to the fact that asymptomatic populations often do not present for treatment, so of course that has to be taken into account).

In longterm studies in Wuhan (a place that has enough cases and enough longitude for this kind of thing), 77% of patients still had mild to severe lung pathologies after 3 months. 17% had abnormal heart rhythms not detected before CoVid. Not everyone had both - so about 80%).

Keep in mind that Wuhan tested its entire population, so the data include all ages. So far, not many studies on the correlation between mild cases and mild pathologies - but the null hypothesis (common sense) would say that milder or asymptomatic cases have fewer pathologies, and so far, each dip into the data seems to show that's true (so children have the mildest symptoms).

Still, those who watch this science think there's cause for alarm (please don't respond to me about whether or not you think China has good data - I've posted several times about why scientists think China has good data, you don't have to accept it, but I am giving you my professional opinion on this).

Data from Italy says similar.

Other things that may occur to asymptomatic or younger people that are of concern to medical researchers include new onset of diabetes, erasure of bone marrow immunity (T cells), and in several concerning new studies: stillbirths. It's too soon to say that the virus itself caused the stillbirths (naturally, not all of the mothers were tested for CoVid - the data is international). One hypothesis is that CoVid is doing something to the placent (it's a vascular/epithelial disease, after all, not a respiratory one) but another hypothesis is that mothers are not going to the doctor either out of fear or because medical systems are strained.

Milder cases cause less damage, it's clear - but still can have damage. We'd know more if we could study many more people, because those with few symptoms aren't going for testing - or lung pictures - in most cases. Certainly, in the US, no one is getting a lung x-ray just because they tested positive for CoVid. If they have mild to moderate symptoms, they'll be sent home. If their moderate symptoms get worse, unless their symptoms are severe, they will be sent home to self-quarantine and use mostly OTC meds for treatment (1 in 10 will end up hospitalized eventually, of that group).

But the question is, shouldn't the public have all the various data in front of them before they send their kids to school? And even if children aren't involved, we should all know that the risks are very much under study - and rather concerning.
Is the question in the last paragraph a trick question? The general public can scarcely comply with basic advice about Covid. They are not into this 24/7, especially those with children. I know some competent physicians (they haven’t killed me yet) that don’t comprehend this virus.

Last edited:
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/education/article245664870.html

“As Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools leaders weigh whether to allow some students to return for in-person learning after months of virtual-only class due to COVID-19, concerns linger about the air quality inside school buildings.

District officials, in response to questions this week from the Observer, said that school HVAC systems cannot accommodate the CDC’s prescribed filters. Another option — buying CDC-recommended portable filtration systems — would be too expensive, officials say. And last week, CMS released a list of 39 schools with HVAC systems incapable of bringing in outside air, a key reopening recommendation from the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers.”

One has to wonder where the CARES money went - and how to get those 39 schools HVAC systems (most schools here in SoCal are in the same situation - but we do mostly have windows that open for the K-12 set - unfortunately, up too high in most cases to really get airflow).

Our nation should have already addressed this issue - we spend money on so many other things, it would be good to have air quality measures for schools.

Is the question in the last paragraph a trick question. The general public can scarcely comply with basic advice about Covid. They are not into this 24/7, especially those with children. I know some competent physicians (they haven’t killed me yet) that don’t comprehend this virus.

You're right of course.

But it would be great if local school districts could find 1 or 2 public health nurses who could come in and talk about how various programs could be made safer. The recommendation that all would-be high school athletes now get an ECG as part of their pre-season medical exam, for example.

Wouldn't some parents opt for it, if they knew many doctors who specialize in athletic performance would recommend it?

(Am I being totally unrealistic??)

I'm really confused with all of the posts about schools HVAC systems.

Does air conditioning kill or prevent the spread of Covid-19?

Even with this horrible disease.
I have never seen such evil, unleashed in the United States.
In my opinion, Covid-19, Is a true and potentially deadly disease.
I cannot say much, although, I would like to.
Everything I say is monitored here.

Yet many want the federal government managing EVERYONE’s health care. It blows my mind, to be honest. They can’t even successfully manage a very small percentage of health care for our veterans. The horror stories coming out of the VA health care system are astounding.

Yet many want the federal government managing EVERYONE’s health care. It blows my mind, to be honest. They can’t even successfully manage a very small percentage of health care for our veterans. The horror stories coming out of the VA health care system are astounding.
Is the VA health system taking VA Covid patients? I would be surprised if they are Covid experts TBH but if you have any examples from MSM, it would help.

I have found this one which mentions how many Covid cases and deaths they have had across 50 states.

VA Coronavirus Deaths Hit 3,100; Cases Top 55,000

Last edited:
Even with this horrible disease.
I have never seen such evil, unleashed in the United States.
In my opinion, Covid-19, Is a true and potentially deadly disease.
I cannot say much, although, I would like to.
Everything I say is monitored here.

I hope we are not being monitored. Hope you are ok? How are the fires now? It must be dreadful with the threats of both Covid and wildfires.

FBI investigating embattled Brighton Rehab nursing home in Beaver County | TribLIVE.com

More search warrants by the FBI.

Investigators with the FBI served search warrants Thursday morning at Brighton Rehabilitation and Wellness Center, the Beaver County nursing home that was the site of one of the nation’s deadliest covid-19 outbreaks.

U.S. Attorney Scott Brady confirmed the FBI executed court-authorized warrants at Brighton Rehab as well as Mount Lebanon Rehabilitation and Wellness Center on Old Gilkeson Road, which has some of the same owners as Brighton Rehab.

Continued at link.

I think this is the case just about everywhere. Not sure why we're focusing on Australia's shortfalls.

Coronavirus Spending Pushes U.S. Budget Deficit to $3 Trillion for 12 Months Through June

WASHINGTON—The U.S. budget deficit reached $3 trillion in the 12 months through June as stimulus spending soared and tax revenue plunged, putting the federal government on pace to register the largest annual deficit as a share of the economy since World War II.

Interesting, isn't it?
As opposed to looking for the positive outcomes of another western nation that has been trying really hard and has been sacrificing a great deal of travel that we have always been accustomed to.

IMO

COVID-19 emails from Nashville mayor's office show disturbing revelation

The coronavirus cases on lower Broadway may have been so low that the mayor’s office and the metro health department decided to keep it secret.

Emails between the mayor’s senior advisor and the health department reveal only a partial picture. But what they reveal is disturbing.

The discussion involves the low number of coronavirus cases emerging from bars and restaurants and how to handle that.and most disturbingly how to keep it from the public.

The coronavirus cases on lower Broadway may have been so low that the mayor’s office and the metro health department decided to keep it secret.

Emails between the mayor’s senior advisor and the health department reveal only a partial picture. But what they reveal is disturbing.

The discussion involves the low number of coronavirus cases emerging from bars and restaurants and how to handle that.and most disturbingly how to keep it from the public.

Looking a little further, while they were not announcing the issues with bars and restaurants they were taking action that locals must have known was an indicator. Surely? Surely common sense would say that if bars are not allowed to sell alcohol past 10pm, there is an issue with the bars.

(Not trying to justify a cover up at all ... that is never a good thing. The public needs to know from their leaders when there is a serious problem. Just looking at their actions VS their words/silence.)

28th July
Last week, Cooper signed Public Health Order 9 requiring downtown businesses serving alcohol to shut down at 10 p.m. On Tuesday, Cooper said he is extending the order. However, there is no end date for that order.
"We're constantly going to evaluate that....the curfew did help," Cooper said. "More people are wearing masks, going to try and improve our way into a better health condition in Nashville."

"We don't want Metro employees to suffer. We don't want businesses to suffer. We don't want anybody to suffer," Cooper said. "We're just trying to manage together to get through this, and do this in as fair a way as possible."
Bars, restaurants that serve alcohol in Nashville must continue to close at 10 p.m.

One has to wonder where the CARES money went - and how to get those 39 schools HVAC systems (most schools here in SoCal are in the same situation - but we do mostly have windows that open for the K-12 set - unfortunately, up too high in most cases to really get airflow).

Our nation should have already addressed this issue - we spend money on so many other things, it would be good to have air quality measures for schools.

This is where it went by county in California. You can probably check with whichever county you are in as to what they spent it on.

I am sure every state probably has a list like this. But as California has such a large population, it is a good example to look at.

The CARES Act Allocates $15.3 Billion to California. Here’s How Much Cities and Counties Are Entitled To. | California City News

CARES Funding Available to California‘s Local Governments in Millions (LAO)
Alameda County $292.3
Contra Costa County $201.7
Fresno County $80.9
Fresno City $93.9
Kern County $157.4
Los Angeles County $1,049.1
Los Angeles City $706.5
Orange County $555.4
Riverside County $432.1
Sacramento County $182.6
Sacramento City $88.9
San Bernardino County $381.3
San Diego County $335.4
San Diego City $248.4
San Francisco $154.2
San Joaquin County $133.3
San Mateo County $134.1
Santa Clara County $154.7
San Jose $182.4
Stanislaus County $96.3
Ventura County $148.0

Below report indicates how money goes to colleges and schools from regular and CARES funding. Seems like they could use some of that funding to upgrade their HVAC systems IMO.

An Overview of Federal Higher Education Relief

Some doctors are still using HXC.

El Centro doctor used Hydroxychloroquine as treatment for COVID-19 patients -

Some restaurants refusing to close if they go back a stage.

Several San Diego restaurants will refuse to close if county moves back to Tier 1 -

@KALI are you one of the rebels?

Last edited:
Yesterday, I downloaded the US "Discussion Draft of the Preliminary Framework for Equitable Allocation of COVID-19 Vaccine".

It reviews things like how previous vaccinations have been distributed for infectious disease outbreaks (H1N1, Ebola).
It looks at things like
- lessons learned from those vaccination campaigns
- ethical arguments for distribution of a covid vaccine
- lessons learned during previous distributions of a scarce resource (the vaccines initially being considered a scarce resource as it takes quite a while to attain good levels of any vaccine)
- maximisation of vaccine benefits
- fairness and 'equal regard'
- allocation phases

It indicates that each state approaches vaccine distribution in different ways.
Eg: Pennsylvania has a weighted lottery system, Minnesota has an ethical framework.

If anyone wants to download and look at this paper, here is the download link. I downloaded it as a Guest, no sign up required.

Login | The National Academies Press

Last edited:
For a vaccine to be efficient, enough people have to take it, says Fauci

Dr. Anthony Fauci addressed the risks of too few people taking the vaccine. Even a third of Americans getting vaccinated against the coronavirus won't be enough.

"It's a combination of how effective a vaccine is and how many people use it," Fauci said.
If you have a vaccine that is highly effective and not enough people get vaccinated, you're not going to realize the full, important effect of having a vaccine."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nocturnal1