Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #78

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another 860,000 Americans filed for unemployment benefits last week

Weekly claims have improved since mid-August, when they briefly inched higher.

Continued jobless claims, counting workers who have filed for benefits for at least two weeks in a row, stood at 12.6 million, down significantly from last week.

Worse still, these numbers don't include claims filed under the government's various other jobless aid programs, such as the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program, which provides benefits for those who aren't usually eligible, such as the self-employed.

Mass and New Hampshire
More at links.
Not posted- so many Statewide school related issues

:(
Coronavirus Hot Spots: Map and List of Mass. Communities With High Rates of Cases

Cities and towns shaded red have the greatest risk levels. There are 17 in this map, an increase from the 13 in last week's map, which included data from Aug. 23-Sept. 5.

Over 100 BC Students Have Tested Positive for COVID-19. Now the Baker Administration Is Stepping in
After more than 70 Boston College students tested positive for coronavirus just last week, the Baker administration is stepping in to conduct contact tracing in the hopes of containing the outbreak.

In the past month, 115 students have tested positive. About 3.5% of the students who were tested last week showed positive results, according to the to the college's website as 80 undergrads are currently in isolation.
Officials attribute the spike in cases to two off-campus gatherings where students were not wearing masks or social distancing, according to The Boston Globe.
Since Boston College has campuses in three different communities, Gov. Charlie Baker said the state is better equipped to conduct contact tracing in multiple jurisdictions.

NH Fines Youth Football League for Violating COVID Regulations
Prosecutors say the New England Flag Football League was notified of the rules and violated them anyway, hosting teams from Pennsylvania, Ohio and Wisconsin in a New Hampshire tournament.
Read less
A youth football league in New England has been fined by the New Hampshire Attorney General's Office for violating safety regulations in place due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Ha! I just asked about our work (Hc facility) flu shot Yesterday - should be giving it to us Mid-late October to cover the worst of the season and also was mentioned by the doc that pharmacies do it early for financial reason

They’re starting to offer flu shots at the local state covid testing sites now.

From previous experience in HC, LTC, VA facilities and local health depts flu vaccines are available and widely distributed towards the middle to end of Oct. Most flu vaccines provide protection for 6 months, taking 2 weeks to become effective and protection decreasing with time. The goal to provide protection thru March or early April. Giving the vaccine late Oct provides optimum coverage thru April.

MOO...many pharmacies jump on the vaccines revenue source early each year. I saw signs from CVS and Walgreens in August offering the vaccine with $5 incentives. This is way to early and potentially leaving a person a risk during peak period. Another consideration is the type of vaccine given. As the article attached covers the different flu vaccines and protection. Not all flu vaccine protect against all strands of flu.

I understand your concern and share your feelings about the VA, whole heartily!!!!! I'm not surprised your husbands practitioner did not explain or discuss the most optimum time for the vaccine or the type of vaccine that would be offered. It might be worth a call to the medial director to discuss what vaccine and the best timing for your husband, if taking early would he require an additional dose, due to diminished efficiency. This year is probably the most important year that we look at the different flu vaccines and protection to prevent false security.

Ask the Experts about Influenza Vaccines - CDC experts answer Q&As

When should influenza vaccine be given?
Optimally, vaccination should occur before onset of influenza activity in the community. Because the timing of the onset, peak and decline of influenza activity varies, the ideal time to start vaccinating cannot be predicted each season. Healthcare providers should offer vaccination by the end of October, if possible, and vaccination should continue to be offered as long as influenza viruses are circulating and unexpired vaccine is available. To avoid missed opportunities for vaccination, providers should offer vaccination during routine healthcare visits and hospitalizations. Early vaccination of children younger than age 9 years who need 2 doses of vaccine can be helpful in assuring routine second doses are given before the influenza season begins.

How long does immunity from influenza vaccine last?
Protection from influenza vaccine is thought to persist for at least 6 months. Protection declines over time because of waning antibody levels and because of changes in circulating influenza viruses from year to year. For persons who require only 1 dose of influenza vaccine for the season, yearly vaccination (i.e. in July and August) is likely to be associated with suboptimal immunity before the end of the influenza season, particularly among older adults.

Last edited:
Got my flu shot this morning - anyone else getting one this season?

We're scheduled for a flu shot on September 27th. I am thinking of changing the appointment and going later so that the vaccine is effective longer into the winter, but on the other hand, last year they ran out of the high-dose vaccines early, so want to get the shots for myself and DH while they still have the high dose vaccines on hand.

Covid: WHO warns of 'a very serious situation unfolding' in Europe - BBC News

Haven't read this yet, just posting it here as it sounds ominous.

Summary
  1. The World Health Organization warns of "a very serious situation unfolding" in Europe
  2. It comes as cases exceed those seen at the peak of the pandemic in March
  3. New social restrictions are introduced for north-east England amid a spike of cases
  4. The temporary measures include restrictions on households mixing and pubs closing earlier at night
  5. Turnaround times to get test results back are getting longer in England, figures show
  6. US President Donald Trump contradicts the head of the main health agency over vaccines and masks
  7. Mr Trump says a vaccine would be available "immediately" - and not as late as mid-2021
  8. He also denied Centers for Disease Control director Dr Robert Redfield's suggestion that masks could be more important than a vaccine
  9. There have been nearly 30m confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the world, as well as more than 939,000 deaths.
Took me a while to find the "serious" news but here it is.

Posted at 11:4811:48
BREAKING'Very serious situation unfolding' warns WHO
The number of weekly coronavirus cases has exceeded the infections reported when the pandemic first peaked in Europe in March, the World Health Organization has warned.

"We have a very serious situation unfolding before us," the organisation's Europe director said in a press conference on Thursday.

Hans Kluge added that September's figures should serve as a "wake-up call" for European governments, as the region's weekly tally reached 300,000 patients last week.

Last edited:
Got my flu shot this morning - anyone else getting one this season?

I will, the later part of Oct. I need mine to last til at least March or April. March seems to be one of the worst months for flu in my area. We have a few warm pretty days, everybody gets out, starts socializing and BAM a major outbreak.

New York City mayor delays in-person learning for most students - CNN

More at link
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio on Thursday delayed in-person public school openings for most students for over a week amid ongoing safety concerns related to the Covid-19 pandemic.

De Blasio said in-person learning at K-5 and K-8 schools is delayed until September 29, and in-person learning at middle and high schools is delayed until October 1. Still, he said 3-K, Pre-K, and District 75 schools, which serve special education kids, will open for in-person learning on Monday as planned. Remote classes will also begin on Monday, officials said.
The decision was made in coordination with teacher union leaders and came after union and city leaders worked in a "respectful spirit" to address their concerns, de Blasio said.

So proud!!!
Dr. Deborah Birx visits Virginia Tech, praises University for COVID-19 research

(snip)
Today, however, she was solo as she made her way to Virginia Tech: her 12th university visit in the last few weeks. Wednesday morning she met with President Tim Sands, and then participated in a roundtable discussion, with both university leadership and students.

“We always have additional work that we would like universities to do, but I think the university has done an excellent job in testing both the symptomatic, contact tracing, testing and quarantining," said Birx, a physician ambassador. Birx is a medical expert in the HIV/Aids field, but was appointed to the White House Coronavirus task force.

Virginia Tech is now spending time on wastewater research to help identify the asymptomatic spread.

Birx also spoke on how droplet testing plays a role in the importance of mask wearing and physical distancing.

“There’s only a handful of institutions that have done this, and I really want to applaud Virginia Tech," said Birx.

So proud!!!
Dr. Deborah Birx visits Virginia Tech, praises University for COVID-19 research

(snip)
Today, however, she was solo as she made her way to Virginia Tech: her 12th university visit in the last few weeks. Wednesday morning she met with President Tim Sands, and then participated in a roundtable discussion, with both university leadership and students.

“We always have additional work that we would like universities to do, but I think the university has done an excellent job in testing both the symptomatic, contact tracing, testing and quarantining," said Birx, a physician ambassador. Birx is a medical expert in the HIV/Aids field, but was appointed to the White House Coronavirus task force.

Virginia Tech is now spending time on wastewater research to help identify the asymptomatic spread.

Birx also spoke on how droplet testing plays a role in the importance of mask wearing and physical distancing.

“There’s only a handful of institutions that have done this, and I really want to applaud Virginia Tech," said Birx.

Congrats Virginia Tech! And good for Dr. Birx for highlighting these efforts.

Former CDC Director Tom Frieden said the FDA and the CDC have been “unduly influenced by politics, when it comes to the emergency approvals, when it comes to recommendations.”

MAd63sZ8

https://twitter.com/WNCN/status/1306639056739196928

Frieden told “CBS This Morning” the FDA and the CDC have been “unduly influenced by politics, when it comes to the emergency approvals, when it comes to recommendations.”

He says its “very problematic, because we want to have a safe, effective, acceptable and trusted vaccine.”

President Donald Trump disagreed on Wednesday with current CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield about how soon a vaccine would be accessible, if one becomes available, and the effectiveness of protective masks.

Frieden says he’s alarmed some information on the CDC website isn’t “scientifically justifiable” and “written not at the CDC headquarters in Atlanta but in Washington by people with no special experience in public health.

“And it’s unfortunate because there are thousands of really good documents on that website. It’s had 1.6 million clicks and you need to be able to trust it.”

Ex-CDC leader concerned by politics in science | CBS 17

Last edited:
Coronavirus isolation killing thousands of Alzheimer’s patients

Some 13,200 more people than usual have died from dementia since March, and health care professionals are placing much of the blame on isolation intended to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Social and mental stimulation both play a critical role in slowing dementia, and doctors have reported increased backsliding in patients who had been stable for years.

what don't they comprehend?

Well, my doctor hadn't heard about several newish treatments for CoVid and hadn't heard about the MMR vaccine being valuable (that has research going back to April and certainly by May there were articles).

And as I've posted before, I have an email "interview" with a youngish doctor in an Atlantic seaboard state, wherein he works at his dad's practice and none of the staff wears masks except one front desk person. He and his dad see patients without masks (and he tested positive for CoVid - is still seeing patients, feels really guilty, is afraid to go up against his dad).

Humans are strange and complex creatures. Culture, habit and family are very important and can over ride common sense. Also, like everyone else, they can suffer from anxiety and depression, which makes for poor decision making. Depressed people often abandon self-care. They may also avoid information that's depressing or difficult or be unable to incorporate new information into their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member