Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #78

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How will this give Americans more sunshine ? It's the same amount of sunshine isn't it?
:)

It has to do with typical work hours and commute hours. Most people get home by 6 pm (pitch dark when there's no daylight savings time). That's the most common time for people to walk for exercise, go to the parks, trails, etc. It stays light where I am until after 8 during summer but gets dark at 6 pm in winter - this will give everyone time to be out in the light until 7 - for me, that means there's enough time to get to the beach for sunset and catch a few rays beforehand. In the far north, it won't make much difference, but almost the entire United States (save Alaska) is at moderate lattitude - so we still get quite a bit of light during winter.

We just can't enjoy it if we're not home until dusk. People with school age kids typically have to get them off to school/bus by 7:30 am. No one really cares if they're eating breakfast and it's just barely light - it's those early evening hours that are so precious to working families. And dogs.

The average latitude in the lower 48 is roughly that of Spain or Portugal. Even on the shortest day of the year, Oklahomans get almost 10 hours of sunlight - and I think most of us prefer our 10 hours to run until 6 pm instead of 5 pm. Even if we can't do daylight activities at 6, at least the commute seems less daunting at the end of the day. Sunrise at 8 am doesn't sound too bad, really. I think a lot of us sleep better on Daylight Savings Time.

It has to do with typical work hours and commute hours. Most people get home by 6 pm (pitch dark when there's no daylight savings time). That's the most common time for people to walk for exercise, go to the parks, trails, etc. It stays light where I am until after 8 during summer but gets dark at 6 pm in winter - this will give everyone time to be out in the light until 7 - for me, that means there's enough time to get to the beach for sunset and catch a few rays beforehand. In the far north, it won't make much difference, but almost the entire United States (save Alaska) is at moderate lattitude - so we still get quite a bit of light during winter.

We just can't enjoy it if we're not home until dusk. People with school age kids typically have to get them off to school/bus by 7:30 am. No one really cares if they're eating breakfast and it's just barely light - it's those early evening hours that are so precious to working families. And dogs.

The average latitude in the lower 48 is roughly that of Spain or Portugal. Even on the shortest day of the year, Oklahomans get almost 10 hours of sunlight - and I think most of us prefer our 10 hours to run until 6 pm instead of 5 pm. Even if we can't do daylight activities at 6, at least the commute seems less daunting at the end of the day. Sunrise at 8 am doesn't sound too bad, really. I think a lot of us sleep better on Daylight Savings Time.
Here where I am in England, it's almost 8pm and falling dark now.

When I went into the office, I left home at 8am and got home at 7pm. Straight into cooking dinner. I lunched in the cafe at work. Maybe had 10 mins outside.

Now I walk the dog before starting work. Today I walked round our village in the sunshine at lunchtime. Had a cold drink outside with Mr HKP mid afternoon. Put baked potatoes in the oven for dinner late afternoon. Picked tomatoes from the garden.

I have no stressful hour each way commute. I dont have a queue of needy people at my office door. I'm not irritated by co-workers eating offensive smelling food next to me all day. I'm not using a public loo. I'm on top of my work (that's a first in years!).

If you can find your way past the mental health side of working in what can be isolating circumstances, I think working from home is a heck of a lot more healthy generally.

And I think my dog loves it more than I do :)

Does my employer have to say if a coworker has the virus?

Employers are generally not required to tell workers when someone in the workplace has tested positive for the coronavirus.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that companies monitor employees for symptoms and alert those who may have been in contact with an infected person. Some states may order businesses to follow such guidance.

Employers have the right to take employees' temperature and ask about symptoms or if they have been exposed to or diagnosed with the virus. If an employee doesn't respond to those questions, they can be barred from the workplace.

There are also pending lawsuits against employers filed by workers who were exposed to or diagnosed with the coronavirus. In general, there's a high legal bar for finding an employer at fault for endangering employees and most claims are resolved via worker's compensation settlements. There has also been some debate over whether Congress should grant businesses liability protections during the pandemic.

Employers are generally not required to tell workers when someone in the workplace has tested positive for the coronavirus.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that companies monitor employees for symptoms and alert those who may have been in contact with an infected person. Some states may order businesses to follow such guidance.

Employers have the right to take employees' temperature and ask about symptoms or if they have been exposed to or diagnosed with the virus. If an employee doesn't respond to those questions, they can be barred from the workplace.

There are also pending lawsuits against employers filed by workers who were exposed to or diagnosed with the coronavirus. In general, there's a high legal bar for finding an employer at fault for endangering employees and most claims are resolved via worker's compensation settlements. There has also been some debate over whether Congress should grant businesses liability protections during the pandemic.

Here in the UK, if an employee tests positive anyone who has been closer than one metre from them has to self-isolate. Anyone who has been between one and two metres for 15 minutes or more, has to self-isolate. To manage this, we will have to share details of who has tested positive.

We dont have the same level of lawsuit culture here (yet). If an employer follows the guidance for their type of workplace which is published on the Gov UK website, and implements policies, risk assessments etc, I think it would be difficult here to claim for some kind of negligence.

I hope so anyway, as I write our policies!

Well, my doctor hadn't heard about several newish treatments for CoVid and hadn't heard about the MMR vaccine being valuable (that has research going back to April and certainly by May there were articles).

And as I've posted before, I have an email "interview" with a youngish doctor in an Atlantic seaboard state, wherein he works at his dad's practice and none of the staff wears masks except one front desk person. He and his dad see patients without masks (and he tested positive for CoVid - is still seeing patients, feels really guilty, is afraid to go up against his dad).

Humans are strange and complex creatures. Culture, habit and family are very important and can over ride common sense. Also, like everyone else, they can suffer from anxiety and depression, which makes for poor decision making. Depressed people often abandon self-care. They may also avoid information that's depressing or difficult or be unable to incorporate new information into their lives.

Thank you for your response: Oy Vay--- i would run out of any doctor's office where the doc and staff were mask-less--- a doctor testing positive and continuing to see patients- unbelievable------

Ha! I just asked about our work (Hc facility) flu shot Yesterday - should be giving it to us Mid-late October to cover the worst of the season and also was mentioned by the doc that pharmacies do it early for financial reason

They’re starting to offer flu shots at the local state covid testing sites now.

Interesting: i just saw a doctor on MSNBC said people should get their flu shots NOW--

Interesting, isn't it?
As opposed to looking for the positive outcomes of another western nation that has been trying really hard and has been sacrificing a great deal of travel that we have always been accustomed to.

IMO
It baffles me. We are really touched that people are so concerned about our civil liberties, our economy and the devastation the virus is causing when we have six more cases.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A fan who attended the season opening NFL game between the Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Texans has tested positive for COVID-19, the Kansas City Health Department announced Thursday.

After the fan tested positive the day after the game, which was held on Sept. 10, the health department and the Chiefs identified and contacted the 10 people who had close contact with the individual, and all of them have since been notified and told to quarantine.

Fan who attended Texans-Chiefs NFL opener tests positive for COVID-19

Parents send student to school while knowingly infected with coronavirus

A Covid-19 positive student attended class on Monday, but the school wasn't notified of their diagnosis until the next day, the Attleboro (MA) High School superintendent said in a letter sent out to families Tuesday night. Twenty-eight students who had close contact with the infected person have been notified and asked to quarantine for 14 days.

The parents told the city health department that while they found out their child tested positive on September 11, they thought that the child could go to school after quarantining for several days.

those parents should be charged and fined IMO

Last edited:
Former CDC Director Tom Frieden said the FDA and the CDC have been “unduly influenced by politics, when it comes to the emergency approvals, when it comes to recommendations.”

MAd63sZ8

https://twitter.com/WNCN/status/1306639056739196928

Frieden told “CBS This Morning” the FDA and the CDC have been “unduly influenced by politics, when it comes to the emergency approvals, when it comes to recommendations.”

He says its “very problematic, because we want to have a safe, effective, acceptable and trusted vaccine.”

President Donald Trump disagreed on Wednesday with current CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield about how soon a vaccine would be accessible, if one becomes available, and the effectiveness of protective masks.

Frieden says he’s alarmed some information on the CDC website isn’t “scientifically justifiable” and “written not at the CDC headquarters in Atlanta but in Washington by people with no special experience in public health.

“And it’s unfortunate because there are thousands of really good documents on that website. It’s had 1.6 million clicks and you need to be able to trust it.”

Ex-CDC leader concerned by politics in science | CBS 17
1.6 million clicks does not sound like many to me. Also, if the vaccine gets thru Phase III, what's the problem? We have already seen that once there are 150 Covid cases in the placebo group then P3 is over and could be ready for approval IMO.

Sweden is being discussed on The radio ATM so I want to post some details to discuss..

New country report: The COVID-19 Long-Term Care situation in Sweden

It’s not true that 58% of Covid-19 deaths in Scotland were in care homes

Countries where Coronavirus has spread - Worldometer

Total deaths
UK 41684
Sweden 5860

Less LTC from above links, UK 30% (47% Scotland) 12,200, Sweden 50% 2,930

Non LTC Deaths
UK 29,484
Sweden 2,930

Population 67million and 10 million
UK 440 per million
Sweden 293 per million

So if LTC deaths are removed, Sweden's death with no lockdowns and minimal restrictions can be seen in a more favourable light IMO.

If we do the same for US, remove 43% representing LTC deaths approx 86K, that would be 115k deaths for 331 million about 347 per million.

If I have made any calculation errors, please excuse.

You didn't make any math errors, but I'll point out that it's really best to compare deaths to the total case number - unless you're certain that most of the population has already had CoVid.

Please also be aware that in the US, Senior Living Apartments (for age 55 and older, sometimes age 50 and older) are a thing and they are included in the "care home stats." These are places where perfectly healthy, often working adults live.

Since you seem to be wanting to subtract the numbers of deaths attributable to "would have died in a few years anyway" group, that number is less than our total care home population.

People move into these facilities (sometimes buying into them) well in advance of their ultimate demise. 20-30 years ahead. They aren't nursing facilities, but are usually owned by the same companies. They do provide "care" (but see below)

There is one very near me. It's expensive, it's cute, it's classified under CA policy as a "care facility" but really only offers 24 hour concierge-like services (and a better chance. at a bed in a related nursing facility). There are also other senior living facilities that do not have any "care" and are not so classified - they too have been hit hard by CoVid. This is very popular with couples, as a big fear that people have is that "something will happen" to their spouse and there will be no one immediately nearby to help. Each apartment has a buzzer. There are always at least 2 employees on duty, one of whom has to be at least an LVN.

Anyway, we have about 200,000 deaths in the US with about 7 million known positive cases. Both numbers are under-reported, according to all the science. But, the ratio is roughly the same - so to be more meaningful (since CoVid isn't going away and frankly, the US isn't really locked down in any real sense - except for New York and New Jersey and Hawaii), we can expect the remaining 320,000,000 Americans to get CoVid at some point - as I posted yesterday. Actually, if we exclude the very old and the very young, one can argue that we're worried about approximately 220,000,000 Americans getting Covid, of whom...some will die (and we don't know exactly how many - for 50 somethings, it would be 1%).

To be really precise about our math, we'd use a total case number from about 3 weeks ago (since that's the pool from which 95-99% of the deaths are coming). So take your pick: 200,000 dead out of 6 million or out of 7 million (not a major difference).

My math says that of all Americans getting CoVid, almost 3% will die. If I were trying to back out the old people who would have died in the next 5 years anyway (as you're doing), I'd probably get nearly the same statistics as the scientists at the major medical research institutes (1% of 50 somethings, .03 percent of 35-49 year olds, .005 or less of 20 somethings, 3% for 65-75, etc. 20-25% of over 85, etc.

Yes, it clearly wouldn't work here in UK because of northern England and Scotland getting dark early afternoon and one more hour not making any difference. They have tried it and it was dark on both the morning and afternoon commute.

Covid: WHO warns of 'a very serious situation unfolding' in Europe - BBC News

Snipped for focus
Took me a while to find the "serious" news but here it is.

Posted at 11:4811:48
BREAKING'Very serious situation unfolding' warns WHO

The number of weekly coronavirus cases has exceeded the infections reported when the pandemic first peaked in Europe in March, the World Health Organization has warned.

"We have a very serious situation unfolding before us," the organisation's Europe director said in a press conference on Thursday.

Hans Kluge added that September's figures should serve as a "wake-up call" for European governments, as the region's weekly tally reached 300,000 patients last week.

Yeah, they kind of buried the lede there. This is not good. I bolded the really bad part.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A fan who attended the season opening NFL game between the Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Texans has tested positive for COVID-19, the Kansas City Health Department announced Thursday.

After the fan tested positive the day after the game, which was held on Sept. 10, the health department and the Chiefs identified and contacted the 10 people who had close contact with the individual, and all of them have since been notified and told to quarantine.

Fan who attended Texans-Chiefs NFL opener tests positive for COVID-19

Forgive my cynicism, but I expect we'll see these stories tied to every reopening milestone. Like Sturgis, it strikes me as "interesting." The demographic that would attend a football game is not the same demographic that will cough, get tested, and inform the authorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member