Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #78

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indonesians caught without a mask forced to dig graves for Covid-19 victims

... in the hopes that a little bit of manual labor and empathy will convince others to do their part to help stop the pandemic.

Three middle-aged men and five minors in Cerme district of Gresik Regency, East Java, were given the unique punishment on September 9.

Though mask-wearing is mandatory in public throughout Indonesia, there has been a vocal segment of the population that has been reluctant to wear masks and practice social distancing.

200917002728-indonesia-grave-diggers-exlarge-169.jpg

Last edited:
Parents send student to school while knowingly infected with coronavirus

A Covid-19 positive student attended class on Monday, but the school wasn't notified of their diagnosis until the next day, the Attleboro (MA) High School superintendent said in a letter sent out to families Tuesday night. Twenty-eight students who had close contact with the infected person have been notified and asked to quarantine for 14 days.

The parents told the city health department that while they found out their child tested positive on September 11, they thought that the child could go to school after quarantining for several days.

Indonesians caught without a mask forced to dig graves for Covid-19

Villagers who refuse to wear masks are being forced to dig graves for victims of Covid-19 by local authorities in one part of rural Indonesia, in the hopes that a little bit of manual labor and empathy will convince others to do their part to help stop the pandemic.

Three middle-aged men and five minors in Cerme district of Gresik Regency, East Java, were given the unique punishment on September 9, authorities said.

Though mask-wearing is mandatory in public throughout Indonesia, there has been a vocal segment of the population that has been reluctant to wear masks and practice social distancing.

Well that's one way to get cooperation LOL

Is the question in the last paragraph a trick question? The general public can scarcely comply with basic advice about Covid. They are not into this 24/7, especially those with children. I know some competent physicians (they haven’t killed me yet) that don’t comprehend this virus.

what don't they comprehend?

COVID-19 emails from Nashville mayor's office show disturbing revelation

COVID-19 emails from Nashville mayor's office show disturbing revelation

The coronavirus cases on lower Broadway may have been so low that the mayor’s office and the metro health department decided to keep it secret.

Emails between the mayor’s senior advisor and the health department reveal only a partial picture. But what they reveal is disturbing.

The discussion involves the low number of coronavirus cases emerging from bars and restaurants and how to handle that.and most disturbingly how to keep it from the public.

What is interesting is how this kind of activity winds up seeing the light of day despite
all efforts to keep it hidden. That part of the story is the good news.

Indonesians caught without a mask forced to dig graves for Covid-19

Villagers who refuse to wear masks are being forced to dig graves for victims of Covid-19 by local authorities in one part of rural Indonesia, in the hopes that a little bit of manual labor and empathy will convince others to do their part to help stop the pandemic.

Three middle-aged men and five minors in Cerme district of Gresik Regency, East Java, were given the unique punishment on September 9, authorities said.

I have been trying to find out why they won't wear masks.

The only thing I could find was that even their national airlines, Garuda, was going to stop their staff wearing masks. Because the passengers were complaining that they couldn't tell if the staff were smiling or frowning. o_O

Garuda Indonesia Will Stop Cabin Crew Wearing Face Masks Because of Passenger Complaints

Sweden is being discussed on The radio ATM so I want to post some details to discuss..

New country report: The COVID-19 Long-Term Care situation in Sweden

It’s not true that 58% of Covid-19 deaths in Scotland were in care homes

Countries where Coronavirus has spread - Worldometer

Total deaths
UK 41684
Sweden 5860

Less LTC from above links, UK 30% (47% Scotland) 12,200, Sweden 50% 2,930

Non LTC Deaths
UK 29,484
Sweden 2,930

Population 67million and 10 million
UK 440 per million
Sweden 293 per million

So if LTC deaths are removed, Sweden's death with no lockdowns and minimal restrictions can be seen in a more favourable light IMO.

If we do the same for US, remove 43% representing LTC deaths approx 86K, that would be 115k deaths for 331 million about 347 per million.

If I have made any calculation errors, please excuse.

Last edited:
I have been trying to find out why they won't wear masks.

The only thing I could find was that even their national airlines, Garuda, was going to stop their staff wearing masks. Because the passengers were complaining that they couldn't tell if the staff were smiling or frowning. o_O

Garuda Indonesia Will Stop Cabin Crew Wearing Face Masks Because of Passenger Complaints

Geez, Indonesia goes to extremes again...

Indonesian officials had an idea: What if they build coffins, put dummies inside them — then display them around the capital city of Jakarta? They hoped it would scare people into following the pandemic rules so they wouldn't end up ... in a coffin.

On Sept. 1, Jakarta officials, wearing full hazmat suits, paraded the coffins through busy streets before displaying them in strategic locations in the city's 267 subdistricts.

Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan hopes the effort comes across to the public as a warning. "I hope the public would stay on alert and always practice the social distancing guidelines, wear masks and wash hands."

gettyimages-1228237685-55_custom-59aaf3f57ae41c64b93d743809f08e788a936bba-s1600-c85.jpg

Can A Parade Of Coffins Scare People Into Wearing Masks?

Yesterday, I downloaded the US "Discussion Draft of the Preliminary Framework for Equitable Allocation of COVID-19 Vaccine".

It reviews things like how previous vaccinations have been distributed for infectious disease outbreaks (H1N1, Ebola).
It looks at things like
- lessons learned from those vaccination campaigns
- ethical arguments for distribution of a covid vaccine
- lessons learned during previous distributions of a scarce resource (the vaccines initially being considered a scarce resource as it takes quite a while to attain good levels of any vaccine)
- maximisation of vaccine benefits
- fairness and 'equal regard'
- allocation phases

It indicates that each state approaches vaccine distribution in different ways.
Eg: Pennsylvania has a weighted lottery system, Minnesota has an ethical framework.

If anyone wants to download and look at this paper, here is the download link. I downloaded it as a Guest, no sign up required.

Login | The National Academies Press

I'm providing a link to the work group that created the draft, a copy of the draft, and included is a form for public comment. Doesn't require a log in.

Overview and form for public comment
https://www.nationalacademies.org/n...ion-of-a-covid-19-vaccine-seek-public-comment

The draft..
Front Matter | Discussion Draft of the Preliminary Framework for Equitable Allocation of COVID-19 Vaccine | The National Academies Press

One has to wonder where the CARES money went - and how to get those 39 schools HVAC systems (most schools here in SoCal are in the same situation - but we do mostly have windows that open for the K-12 set - unfortunately, up too high in most cases to really get airflow).

Our nation should have already addressed this issue - we spend money on so many other things, it would be good to have air quality measures for schools.
I’ve seen a breakdown by county for NC but have been unable to find a breakdown by school for Meck County.
The schools vary widely in each district, some new and others that were built in the early 1950’s and need a complete renovation.
JMO

Senators introduce bill to keep US on Daylight Saving Time through Nov. '21

Senators Rick Scott and Marco Rubio introduced legislation that would keep the U.S. on Daylight Saving Time through Nov. 7, 2021, because of the pandemic.

The senators say the bill would “help provide stability for families who are already dealing with enough change with virtual learning, work from home, and other disruptions the COVID-19 pandemic has placed into our daily lives.”

After months of staying inside amid the coronavirus pandemic, families across the nation could use a little more sunshine and time to enjoy all that Florida has to offer,” Scott said. “I signed legislation as governor to continue Daylight Saving Time year-round for Floridians, and I’m glad to join Senator Rubio to lead this effort in Congress.”

If the bill is enacted, Americans would avoid changing clocks in March 2021 when the U.S. typically springs forward an hour.

Forgive me for excessive jaded cynicism. I had a flu shot two weeks ago at Costco. My husband, who is a disabled veteran, and gets his care at the VA clinic, I asked his VA doctor when the flu vaccine will be available at the VA. Her response floored me, she said that they have not yet received any flu vaccines.

Shouldn't veterans be first in line to get access to flu vaccines? This isn't even Covid, just flu. A majority of veterans are Vietnam era, Korean War, WWII, older, more disabled than the general population. They don't have access to a FLU SHOT! Here it is, middle of September, no flu vaccine at the VA clinics.

I am taking my husband to Costco for a flu shot next week. Forget the VA. This is an "example" of government "efficiency" for vaccines.

From previous experience in HC, LTC, VA facilities and local health depts flu vaccines are available and widely distributed towards the middle to end of Oct. Most flu vaccines provide protection for 6 months, taking 2 weeks to become effective and protection decreasing with time. The goal to provide protection thru March or early April. Giving the vaccine late Oct provides optimum coverage thru April.

MOO...many pharmacies jump on the vaccines revenue source early each year. I saw signs from CVS and Walgreens in August offering the vaccine with $5 incentives. This is way to early and potentially leaving a person a risk during peak period. Another consideration is the type of vaccine given. As the article attached covers the different flu vaccines and protection. Not all flu vaccine protect against all strands of flu.

I understand your concern and share your feelings about the VA, whole heartily!!!!! I'm not surprised your husbands practitioner did not explain or discuss the most optimum time for the vaccine or the type of vaccine that would be offered. It might be worth a call to the medial director to discuss what vaccine and the best timing for your husband, if taking early would he require an additional dose, due to diminished efficiency. This year is probably the most important year that we look at the different flu vaccines and protection to prevent false security.

Ask the Experts about Influenza Vaccines - CDC experts answer Q&As

When should influenza vaccine be given?
Optimally, vaccination should occur before onset of influenza activity in the community. Because the timing of the onset, peak and decline of influenza activity varies, the ideal time to start vaccinating cannot be predicted each season. Healthcare providers should offer vaccination by the end of October, if possible, and vaccination should continue to be offered as long as influenza viruses are circulating and unexpired vaccine is available. To avoid missed opportunities for vaccination, providers should offer vaccination during routine healthcare visits and hospitalizations. Early vaccination of children younger than age 9 years who need 2 doses of vaccine can be helpful in assuring routine second doses are given before the influenza season begins.

How long does immunity from influenza vaccine last?
Protection from influenza vaccine is thought to persist for at least 6 months. Protection declines over time because of waning antibody levels and because of changes in circulating influenza viruses from year to year. For persons who require only 1 dose of influenza vaccine for the season, yearly vaccination (i.e. in July and August) is likely to be associated with suboptimal immunity before the end of the influenza season, particularly among older adults.

Last edited:
Senators introduce bill to keep US on Daylight Saving Time through Nov. '21

Senators Rick Scott and Marco Rubio introduced legislation that would keep the U.S. on Daylight Saving Time through Nov. 7, 2021, because of the pandemic.

The senators say the bill would “help provide stability for families who are already dealing with enough change with virtual learning, work from home, and other disruptions the COVID-19 pandemic has placed into our daily lives.”

After months of staying inside amid the coronavirus pandemic, families across the nation could use a little more sunshine and time to enjoy all that Florida has to offer,” Scott said. “I signed legislation as governor to continue Daylight Saving Time year-round for Floridians, and I’m glad to join Senator Rubio to lead this effort in Congress.”

If the bill is enacted, Americans would avoid changing clocks in March 2021 when the U.S. typically springs forward an hour.

How will this give Americans more sunshine ? It's the same amount of sunshine isn't it?
:)

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

How will this give Americans more sunshine ? It's the same amount of sunshine isn't it?
:)

No.

On November 1, we will move our clocks back one hour to reflect U.S. standard time. The result will be painfully short days, with the sun setting in many states before 5 p.m. Each year, we see higher rates of depression associated with less exposure to sunlight; higher energy consumption across the country; higher traffic fatalities with more Americans driving in the dark; higher incidence of crime; and a steep decline in retail sales with fewer consumers willing to shop at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neil Patrick Harris Reveals His Entire Family Had Coronavirus Earlier This Year

Neil Patrick Harris revealed that he and his husband David Burtka, as well as their 9-year-old twins Gideon and Harper, contracted COVID-19 earlier this year when cases in the United States had just started climbing.

Earlier this month, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson also revealed that he and his entire family got sick with coronavirus, too.

No.

On November 1, we will move our clocks back one hour to reflect U.S. standard time. The result will be painfully short days, with the sun setting in many states before 5 p.m. Each year, we see higher rates of depression associated with less exposure to sunlight; higher energy consumption across the country; higher traffic fatalities with more Americans driving in the dark; higher incidence of crime; and a steep decline in retail sales with fewer consumers willing to shop at night.

Daylight Saving Time Should Be Permanent
Just get up earlier and you still have the same amount of daylight hours and sunshine.

We have tried this in the winter before and it makes the winter mornings darker and more dangerous for children heading to school.

Here's a BBC article that discussed it some years ago.

BBC - Have Your Say: Should we stay permanently on British Summer Time?

Been there, done there, didn't work. MOO.

Last edited:
Just get up earlier and you still have the same amount of daylight hours and sunshine.
Lol!
I’m not sure the kids would like getting up an hour earlier to play outside in the dawn light. Before school and work - I’d probably need a big cup of coffee!

Even something as small as an extra hour of daylight to enjoy during these difficult days would be a plus for mental health.
JMO

Lol!
I’m not sure the kids would like getting up an hour earlier to play outside in the dawn light. Before school and work - I’d probably need a big cup of coffee!

Even something as small as an extra hour of daylight to enjoy during these difficult days would be a plus for mental health.
JMO
I agree it may be ok for Southern areas but the states to the north would have very dark mornings when people are going to work and school. I guess if folks are not back at work and school it would be ok. But the essential workers still have to go in to drive buses and trains etc for the health care workers and others to get to work. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member