Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #79

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I guess things are getting back to normal somewhat here in my little South Carolina town. Had to stop by Walmart on my way to work and noticed that both main doors (pharmacy side of the store and the grocery side) were open. For weeks now we've had the pharmacy side locked and everyone had to go through a metal maze on the grocery side past masked, customer-counting employees to enter the store. All of that is gone now. I figured the 'face coverings' sign would be gone too. It was still there although I saw customers and employees alike without masks.

I work in a large church office and we've had on-site services for a few weeks now, although 2/3rds of the congregation still stays home to watch the livestream. Starting September 27, on-site Sunday School classes and the morning nursery will start back up again. Curious to see how that's going to go. But here I am, still wearing a mask in my office all day, keeping a baby gate up to block my doorway, lol. :p

Was at Wal-Mart this am, no cattle gates, all entrances open. The shop/tire center is closed (Covid) and Woodforest Bank closed (Covid).

I did my returns, never touched anything and was out the door. Everyone wearing mask.

Last edited:
Well, I guess things are getting back to normal somewhat here in my little South Carolina town. Had to stop by Walmart on my way to work and noticed that both main doors (pharmacy side of the store and the grocery side) were open. For weeks now we've had the pharmacy side locked and everyone had to go through a metal maze on the grocery side past masked, customer-counting employees to enter the store. All of that is gone now. I figured the 'face coverings' sign would be gone too. It was still there although I saw customers and employees alike without masks.

I work in a large church office and we've had on-site services for a few weeks now, although 2/3rds of the congregation still stays home to watch the livestream. Starting September 27, on-site Sunday School classes and the morning nursery will start back up again. Curious to see how that's going to go. But here I am, still wearing a mask in my office all day, keeping a baby gate up to block my doorway, lol. :p

We need a thread for CoVid and Worship so we can compare notes and get ideas from one another.

Our church is planning to start on Oct 10th, which is Thanksgiving Sunday, if we can figure out all the public health recommendations and put them into effect. We won't have a nursery because workers need full PPE and the cleaning is just too much for our volunteers. We might have something for the Sunday School kids, probably in families of kids seated on mats in the gym where there's a lot of room, or outside as we are able. Our classrooms are too small to social distance.

Everyone will be expected to wear a mask and seating is assigned by preregistration. We'll have no more than 50 people in the building, including the nurse who screens at the door, the ushers, techie guys etc.

We've prepared a video that is welcoming and inviting, but tells people exactly what to expect when they come. It's nicely done and gives you the information you need to decide whether in house worship is for you at this time. Livestream is probably here forever. People love it.

We don't have any local cases of CoVid, but that could change anytime.

We need a thread for CoVid and Worship so we can compare notes and get ideas from one another.

Our church is planning to start on Oct 10th, which is Thanksgiving Sunday, if we can figure out all the public health recommendations and put them into effect. We won't have a nursery because workers need full PPE and the cleaning is just too much for our volunteers. We might have something for the Sunday School kids, probably in families of kids seated on mats in the gym where there's a lot of room, or outside as we are able. Our classrooms are too small to social distance.

Everyone will be expected to wear a mask and seating is assigned by preregistration. We'll have no more than 50 people in the building, including the nurse who screens at the door, the ushers, techie guys etc.

We've prepared a video that is welcoming and inviting, but tells people exactly what to expect when they come. It's nicely done and gives you the information you need to decide whether in house worship is for you at this time. Livestream is probably here forever. People love it.

Oh, man, we are so lame compared to this, lol!! :eek:

Our pastoral staff is pattin' themselves on the back because we offer masks, gloves, and hand sanitizer at the doors. No screening whatsoever and our limit in the building is 175. Masks aren't even mandatory (granted, they're not mandatory on a state or county level here either). When I say I work at a 'large' church, I mean large for our rural county. We averaged about 325, pre-Covid. I'm not sure what our 30 year old nursery director has planned. She's been in and out of the office several times over the summer with her kids and has never worn a mask (in fact, she and her unruly kids are the very reason I keep a baby gate in my office doorway, lol). Several of our older adult Sunday School classes plan to keep zooming their class from home - turns out, they really like it!

Last edited:

CDC has a toolkit with guidance to consider for community based faith organizations.

Guidance and Checklists

Apparently we all could have had masks in April!

The White House blocked the US Postal Service from sending face masks to every US household in April

A draft press release obtained by The Post showed that the Postal Service was preparing to send out 650 million face masks in April to supply every household with them.

However, a senior administration official told The Post that the White House nixed the plan because officials thought "receiving masks might create concern or panic."

Ah, you beat me to it. At any rate, this new bit of information makes it clear that the WH was actively involved in thwarting mask distribution. We all know what has happened since, regarding the USPS.

CoVid cases worldwide hit 30,000,000 yesterday.

Germany experiences steady lowering of fatalities across all age groups:

Eurosurveillance | Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in children aged 0 to 19 years in childcare facilities and schools after their reopening in May 2020, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

The article details the back-to-school portion of Germany's response to CoVid.

Sounds like your church has covered it all. My church has not reconvened yet but my minister is high risk, having quadruple bypass last year. Plus, we have a fairly large group of senior citizens in the congregation. We have opened the sanctuary during designated times for individual prayer, with a size limit of ten per time frame. My state’s covid numbers have decreased (but so has testing) over the past few weeks so we may start meeting again, with restrictions, in the near future. I am not on the worship committee so I don’t really know. I assume we will continue to livestream indefinitely.

This all sounds good. After 16 families in our church have recovered from Covid, I could fill the thread with things NOT to do. Day care workers, pastor, youth pastor, worship team, audio and video techs OMG and now they're open again :mad:

They thought it was ok after quarantining a few days. This makes me curious what the doctor that diagnosed him said.

It's possible there was no doctor. The parents may have simply taken the child for testing and got the results directly (that's the most common thing here where I live). I wonder if the school had mandated tests for the kids (that should be a basic requirement - although it's pointless if the school doesn't mandate weekly or even biweekly tests for kids).

Before I hate on the parents, I'll just go to my hypothesis that many people really don't know much about 1) viruses, 2) the novel CoVid virus, 3) that children can also fall ill and suffer serious consequences from CoVid and 4) that kids are ready transmitters to vulnerable adults.

Because deaths among kids are so rare, there hasn't been much focus on kids and CoVid.

“Don’t compare country strategies until at least one more year has passed,” he said. “Maybe five.”

(quote from one of WHO's top epidemiologists, see link to article, below)

While it is tempting to compare countries on how they are doing with regard to the pandemic, top epidemiologists and others note that it will take time to evaluate the success of different countries' strategies in fighting the pandemic.

They also emphasize that "When we are facing a novel threat that affects the whole planet, it is impossible to avoid a certain amount of experimentation."

“Don’t compare country strategies until at least one more year has passed,” he said. “Maybe five.”

From Australia to India and the Philippines, are lockdowns working?

Article also points out impact of lockdowns on economy and other health issues, such as cancer, heart attacks, suicide, etc. and the impact of lockdowns on the increase in these death rates now and in the coming year(s).

In the US state of Colorado, researchers at Denver Health found the imposition of a stay-at-home order in March was followed by a 2.2-fold rise in heart attacks at home, with those deaths exceeding the total number of fatalities from Covid-19 in the two weeks following the order.

At the University of Toronto, researchers estimated that unemployment resulting from “containment measures” could see suicides in Canada rise by about 28 per cent from 2018.

We know that undetected cancer will be a problem as people had to cancel visits with doctors during lockdowns and hospital closures for these kinds of check ups and appointments and tests during the spring of 2020.

Any word on how long those closures lasted? For most of California, no hospitals closed and diagnostic tests were still run as usual. Nearly all doctors went telemedicine - and many gained patients during the last six months.

I'm guessing that it was New York, New Jersey and maybe a few other states on the Atlantic, in March-April who had to close hospitals to non-CoVid patients. If they hadn't shut down, they'd still have their hospitals closed, IMO.

Ah, you beat me to it. At any rate, this new bit of information makes it clear that the WH was actively involved in thwarting mask distribution. We all know what has happened since, regarding the USPS.

CoVid cases worldwide hit 30,000,000 yesterday.

Germany experiences steady lowering of fatalities across all age groups:

Eurosurveillance | Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in children aged 0 to 19 years in childcare facilities and schools after their reopening in May 2020, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

The article details the back-to-school portion of Germany's response to CoVid.
I believe governments didn't want the public to take all the PPE because they couldn't even get enough for health and care staff. Even WHO did not recommend masks initially. There was a global shortage. We already know all about the situation early on. It was nothing nefarious IMO. All the home mask making came as a result of this shortage.

This all sounds good. After 16 families in our church have recovered from Covid, I could fill the thread with things NOT to do. Day care workers, pastor, youth pastor, worship team, audio and video techs OMG and now they're open again :mad:

When you have time, I'd like to hear your advice. We absolutely don't want any cases, ever.
We're only going to have just one techie, one usher takes you from the door to your seat, ditto for going out, no food service, no singing (boo), no wind instruments, assigned mics, no volunteers over 70, no passing anything around, byo communion elements, use online donations, bulletins have been replaced by our app., no coat racks, chatting outside, etc

Doesn't that sound awful! However, folks are used to this drill from other community interactions now, so it won't be a huge shock. We also don't want people to get the idea that just because we are doing this, it must be safe.

I have been livid since early morning. A FB post casually asked if you had unlimited $, where would you go. I usually don't answer such things, but today I posted I would not go anywhere, would not fly, would not stay in a hotel or take a group tour. Well, a return post laughed and told me I needed to get out and that it was safe.

Well, little does this person know I have bicycled 6100 miles in a year (not this year), ridden self-contained solo half-way across the US, hiked the West Coast Trail, one of the hardest in North America, and hiked part of the Appalachian Trail. I have also canoe raced and kayaked. I have visited every state and have biked in 13 countries. AND, I need to get out???

And, it's safe? Minnesota is reachinging 2000 deaths. On Sep 17 there were 909 new cases. It's safe? Where do these people get information?

I am still bicycling - around my state in areas of less traffic, not in cities. I am hiking. BUT, no, I will not fly, will not stay in a hotel, will not eat inside at a restaurant, will not go to a theater or church or a party until I am certain it is safe, which I feel it is not right now.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yes, that is the important piece of this horror: 200,000 deaths in 6 months- as far as i can recall (at least here in Michigan), the first deaths were at the beginning of March.
BBM

If even half of those deaths could have been prevented, how would you feel? Because it seems they could have been prevented, without a lockdown, or businesses closing or any of those things that most of us have had to go through.

MOO

ETA 30% of Michigan Covid deaths were in LTC. I think they are one of the states being investigated IIRC.

42% of COVID-19 Deaths in Nursing Homes & Assisted Living Facilities

Department of Justice Requesting Data From Governors of States that Issued COVID-19 Orders that May Have Resulted in Deaths of Elderly Nursing Home Residents
BBM

@tresir2012 It would have been wonderful if almost half of our 200,000 deaths (those that occurred in the U.S. nursing homes) had been prevented. No one is disputing that many/most of those deaths should not have happened. We would still feel awful about the remaining 100,00 citizens lost outside the nursing homes, and it is still an enormous loss of life.

Several posts back, in the previous thread, you disputed the word “enormous” regarding the 200,000 the U.S. has lost. You focused only on the number being small compared to our population, which of course it is. In my reply to you (post 21), partially quoted below, I pointed out that it is the short time frame in which those 200,000 individuals died that makes the number “enormous” in its impact on U.S. citizens and the world. Even “only” 100,000 deaths would still have been an enormous number given the short time frame of seven months compared to wars and conflicts lasting many years, if you look at the graphic I linked in my post.

I don’t think we will ever know how many of the 200,000 deaths in the U.S. could have been prevented, other than better management of the nursing home mess. Certainly, it is now very clear to me that better management overall and sooner could have prevented thousands of deaths beyond those who died in nursing homes.

However, my focus in my reply to you regarding your dispute of the word “enormous” is solely focused on what that word means in the emotional impact of losing 200,000 individuals in a short span of seven months, not how many were preventable or what percentage of our population they are. I think most would agree that this is an enormous loss of life in that sense, as is the number lost in the world, which is now very close to all the wars lasting many years shown in the graphic in the link below.
JMO

Now we are at about 200,000 deaths in seven months. No war or conflict shown on this graphic even approached that number in this short time frame. And that’s why we are reeling from this enormous loss of life. It’s a gut punch, almost as intense as the loss of 2,997 in one day on 9/11. And the loss of approximately 946,000 who have died in the entire world in about nine months is also enormous in its emotional impact. At least it is for me...and I’m sure it is for many others. :(
JMO

U.S. coronavirus deaths now surpass fatalities in the Vietnam War

Please forgive me for belaboring this point so that the U.S. Covid-19 death toll is clearly seen as enormous. In connection to my post (#78) about the enormous loss of life in the U.S. due to Covid-19....Just to illustrate how “enormous” a loss can be if it occurs in a short period of time, three communities in my area here in Southern Oregon with a population of approximately 35,000 lost almost 2500 residences (counted so far) in one day on Sept. 15 during a fast-moving fire. Had those losses occurred gradually over a span of 10 years, they probably would barely have been noticed. But in one day? About 15 of my friends/acquaintances lost their homes in one day. That’s not an “enormous” number in my large circle of friends and acquaintances, but in one day, yes it is, both numerically and emotionally.
JMO

Quoting:

The count of homes lost to the Almeda fire has skyrocketed to at least 2,357 residential structures destroyed and 57 damaged after an urban search-and-rescue team provided more detailed on-the-ground information about the destruction.
The Phoenix-Talent School District has estimated 50% of its students’ families have lost their homes.

More than 2,350 residential structures destroyed by Almeda fire in Jackson County

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members