Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #79

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I thought my job was done! my husband has knee pain so he couldn't play golf or go to a "gathering"-- then- one of his buddies texts him after golf and says, come on down to the restaurant (outdoor but close seating- no masks)- "we miss you"-- I told him blame me, "the wife"--- so he texts his buddy back and says basically his wife won't allow him to go --makes me laugh but that's ok. I just was not comfortable with that type of "gathering"- you kinda think, oh, what is a few guys getting together on the patio of the restaurant, but I know there would be lots of people on that patio with no masks and no social distancing. It is unfortunate that we can't do those things: well, you can but i see it as too much of a risk for us vulnerable folks. Thanks for listening -----

glad you stuck to your guns
just tell him if he's careful now, he will be healthy enough to attend golf outings in the future

So you thought it would only be as bad as a high end flu death count?

Burden of Influenza

How many die from flu in 6 months? March to September?

The impression that we get is that NYC fell victim to the virus. In a bad way. Then the spread started. People kept travelling all over the place. The spread worsened.

My feeling is that if containment happened (stop travelling) this thing could have been localised and many, many deaths wouldn't have happened.

IMO

Last edited:
Reservations are required for bars/restaurants or all businesses? How is compliance/enforcement?

Our Governor and Health Director have been pretty clear that the State doesn't have near enough staff to monitor, and the police have never been involved in Covid enforcement. Our understanding is that the limited resources will be sent out for site visits if they receive multiple complaints, from different people, for the same violation. They won't hesitate to shut places down, but the focus really seems to be on high-profile venues.

Compliance seems to be the job of each establishment. My local hangout is run by people who aren't that concerned about Covid, and they have a clientele made up of regulars, so things are quite lax. The place I mentioned, last night, is hyper-compliant, hence closing up when the cook left, as bars have to run as restaurants in order to be open. On the flip side, there are a couple of joints, down the street, that have never served food, and their parking lots have been full, at all hours. I'd be interested to see what they could possibly be doing to convince anyone that they are now "restaurants." I think the issue is that they could never survive if they followed the rules to the letter, so they just take their chances.

It is too bad that compliance needs to be enforced everywhere. That people - all business owners and public - can't realise that they may contribute to virus spread by non-compliance.

IMO

O/T
I saw a funny sign yesterday, along the lines of "We can't survive on 1/3 capacity, so unless you can drink 3 beers instead of one, please go somewhere else".
(It was humour-based, I just can't recall the exact wording.)

Last edited:
How many die from flu in 6 months? March to September?

The impression that we get is that NYC fell victim to the virus. In a bad way. Then the spread started. People kept travelling all over the place. The spread worsened.

My feeling is that if containment happened (stop travelling) this thing could have been localised and many, many deaths wouldn't have happened.
The numbers I quoted are annual.

I was just curious about your initial guess about a toll of 60,000 people.

It reminded me of what some said during the early days of this pandemic. That this virus is no worse than the flu. I doubt you actually thought that. JMO

The numbers I quoted are annual.

I was just curious about your initial guess about a toll of 60,000 people.

It reminded me of what some said during the early days of this pandemic. That this virus is no worse than the flu. I doubt you actually thought that. JMO

No, I thought it was much, much worse than the flu. It is unprecedented for my country to close up the country and state borders.

Which is why I often don't understand that if we did that - take such a huge and unprecedented action in March - why didn't other places take it with the same level of seriousness and limit travel.

IMO

Last edited:
Ah, you beat me to it. At any rate, this new bit of information makes it clear that the WH was actively involved in thwarting mask distribution. We all know what has happened since, regarding the USPS.

CoVid cases worldwide hit 30,000,000 yesterday.

Germany experiences steady lowering of fatalities across all age groups:

Eurosurveillance | Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in children aged 0 to 19 years in childcare facilities and schools after their reopening in May 2020, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

The article details the back-to-school portion of Germany's response to CoVid.
This made me very, very upset this morning because at that time I was spending about 6 hours a day at the sewing machine and had to beg, borrow and steal elastic just to try to get nurses and chemo patients covered. People were begging for masks. I would think I was done and then another request would come in. I was exhausted. To think that each individual could have had at least one, and that I and others might not have felt like we were responding to an emergency all day long...

I still carry them in my car. I gave one to a gentleman who was just released from jail this afternoon and was waiting for a ride at our library. Cloth ones are easier to find now but not everyone has the money. He had a single, pitiful disposable mask from the jail.

Time to stock up again? The likelihood of empty shelves in a second coronavirus wave

in the picture in the article, it looks like all my favourite soups are left on the shelves lol

this surprises me:

For the worries about trick-or-treating during a pandemic, for example, people have so far been spending "unprecedented amounts" on Halloween candy and decorations, Maharaj says. (from the article linked)
We never stopped stocking up. It will all be used eventually. So we expanded our pantry.

This made me very, very upset this morning because at that time I was spending about 6 hours a day at the sewing machine and had to beg, borrow and steal elastic just to try to get nurses and chemo patients covered. People were begging for masks. I would think I was done and then another request would come in. I was exhausted. To think that each individual could have had at least one, and that I and others might not have felt like we were responding to an emergency all day long...

I still carry them in my car. I gave one to a gentleman who was just released from jail this afternoon and was waiting for a ride at our library. Cloth ones are easier to find now but not everyone has the money. He had a single, pitiful disposable mask from the jail.

You do good work, JE. You can always hold your head up high, knowing that you have personally done something to help others. That you have been doing your absolute best to help your community.

IMO

No, I thought it was much, much worse than the flu. It is unprecedented for my country to close up the country and state borders.

Which is why I often don't understand that if we did that - take such a huge and unprecedented action in March - why didn't other places take it with the same level of seriousness and limit travel.

IMO

I think the US did limit travel IIRC. None of us knew it was in Europe so early though. When did Australia ban European flights?

I have noticed some products disappearing here recently, in the last week from our Aldi .

A few days ago I bought a 200gm jar of Nescafe Original. Yesterday there were none. A few days ago I noticed that all the pain relief tablets etc were gone, apart from paracetamol.
I haven't been going out that much but yesterday I was surprised to see so many people around the CBD, shopping centre areas.
Then I realised it was Friday and it was a lovely warm day, the warmest so far here, in my small regional population 42,000 town.
It felt so nice to ditch the jumpers and coats.

Now I'm wondering if I should have bought more jars of the coffee. I don't need any of the pain stuff.
But what will go next. There was heaps of toilet paper lol. And hand sanitiser. I bought another bottle to stock up.
No Covid cases in this area, country New South Wales.

Last edited:
This appears to be a .gov page from India on coronavirus.

PIB’S DAILY BULLETIN ON COVID-19

India has recorded an unprecedented high of single day recoveries. 87,472 active cases have recovered and been discharged in the past 24 hours from home/facility supervised care and hospitals. India has been consistently reporting a very high level of daily recoveries of more than 70,000 since the past 11 days. The Recovery Rate has further escalated to 78.86% today

I have noticed some products disappearing here recently, in the last week from our Aldi .

A few days ago I bought a 200gm jar of Nescafe Original. Yesterday there were none. A few days ago I noticed that all the pain relief tablets etc were gone, apart from paracetamol.
I haven't been going out that much but yesterday I was surprised to see so many people around the CBD, shopping centre areas.
Then I realised it was Friday and it was a lovely warm day, the warmest so far here, in my small regional population 42,00 town.

Now I'm wondering if I should have bought more jars of the coffee. I don't need any of the pain stuff.
But what will go next. There was heaps of toilet paper lol. And hand sanitiser. I bought another bottle to stock up.

BBM. What's CBD in your context?

Minnesota Governor Tim Walz has sent a letter to BOTH political candidates to ask them to comply with state regulations. See below:
In order to comply with the relevant guidelines, the events generally must not exceed 25 percent capacity, not to exceed 250 people. The organizers may be able to increase total attendance if they choose a venue with multiple event spaces with separate capacity limits, as long as each separate space is limited to the lesser of 250 people or 25 percent capacity. Attendees must maintain social distancing of at least six feet at all times, including when entering and exiting the event. Face coverings are required indoors and strongly encouraged outdoors. Complete guidance is available at: https://staysafe.mn.gov/industry-guidance/

So, Boris is now saying that the 2nd wave in the UK is unstoppable.

Britain was reported to be considering whether to impose a new lockdown across the country, after new COVID-19 cases almost doubled to 6000 per day, hospital admissions rose and infection rates soared across parts of northern England and London.
That rise in cases was part of a second wave that was now unstoppable, the Prime Minister said.
The United Kingdom has reported the fifth largest number of deaths from COVID-19 in the world, after the United States, Brazil, India and Mexico, according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University of Medicine.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe...-covid-19-wave-coming-in-20200919-p55x65.html

I think the WH realised the dire shortage among health staff and cancelled the mask postings. Also issuing advice that masks weren't needed for the public, because of the shortage. Each mask you made meant all the more for the health workers. Sewn masks like yours clearly have saved many lives so don't be angry about media reports that are unverified and don't even have a named source. They are always unnamed when unverifiable IME/IMO.

Then I realised it was Friday and it was a lovely warm day, the warmest so far here, in my small regional population 42,000 town.

Have you tried Aussie shops? I am not sure that Aldi does its purchasing all from Aussie sources.
Aldi states that it gets 80-100% of its fresh stuff from Australia, but - despite its double-talk in the linked article - I have heard that it sources other products from outside the country due to economy of scale (and o/s cargo is not always arriving in Australia in a timely fashion due to covid). And that Aldi limits its product varieties for the same reason.

IMO

Supermarket produce and country of origin labelling | CHOICE'.
https://mrshearingbusinessstudies.weebly.com/uploads/1/0/3/0/10303678/aldi-lean_production.pdf

Last edited:
I think the WH realised the dire shortage among health staff and cancelled the mask postings. Also issuing advice that masks weren't needed for the public, because of the shortage. Each mask you made meant all the more for the health workers. Sewn masks like yours clearly have saved many lives so don't be angry about media reports that are unverified and don't even have a named source. They are always unnamed when unverifiable IME/IMO.
From my article

The documents showed that in early April, after public-health experts began recommending face masks to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, some officials at the Department of Health and Human Services suggested that the Postal Service, an agency that delivers mail to the entire country, could be uniquely positioned to deliver packs of reusable masks to every American household.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025