Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #79

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to stock up again? The likelihood of empty shelves in a second coronavirus wave

in the picture in the article, it looks like all my favourite soups are left on the shelves lol

this surprises me:

For the worries about trick-or-treating during a pandemic, for example, people have so far been spending "unprecedented amounts" on Halloween candy and decorations, Maharaj says. (from the article linked)

Lots of staying home and binge eating halloween candy? lol We bought a large bag yesterday but have told the kids we are not going to go trick or treat this year. We'll plan fun stuff at home.

It is too bad that compliance needs to be enforced everywhere. That people - all business owners and public - can't realise that they may contribute to virus spread by non-compliance.

IMO

O/T
I saw a funny sign yesterday, along the lines of "We can't survive on 1/3 capacity, so unless you can drink 3 beers instead of one, please go somewhere else".
(It was humour-based, I just can't recall the exact wording.)
Minnesotans are pretty respectful people. Most do what is required.

Thanks South!
I haven't been hoarding but always keep a good stock of things.
Nothing I need right now, I have other brands of coffee that I can use if the Nescafe one doesn't come back.
I like to alternate them.
I've never hoarded but mostly I keep enough stock even before the virus, enough to last me at least 2 or three months or longer depending on what the product is.

I'm very happy with Aldi.
I also get groceries delivered from Woolworths.

The only coffee that I can't stand the taste of is Moccona so if that ended up being the only one available I'd have to go back to drinking hot water like I did once, for two years.

Have you tried Aussie shops?

From my article

The documents showed that in early April, after public-health experts began recommending face masks to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, some officials at the Department of Health and Human Services suggested that the Postal Service, an agency that delivers mail to the entire country, could be uniquely positioned to deliver packs of reusable masks to every American household.

According to the link below (I could not access your link) the WH instead sent the cloth masks to critical infrasture, companies, healthcare facilities, faith-based and community organisations plus schools. I think that was a better decision than sending the PPE to households, because that was primarily where they were needed then because cases were at places like meat factories, care homes, health facilities etc.

"The Post said that in place of the planned effort to widely distribute masks, "HHS created Project America Strong, a $675 million effort to distribute 'reusable cotton face masks to critical infrastructure sectors, companies, healthcare facilities, and faith-based and community organizations across the country."

A spokesman for the department told the newspaper that "about 600 million of the 650 million masks ordered have been distributed ... including 125 million set aside for schools."

Washington Post: WH nixed plan to distribute 650 million face masks through USPS

Pharmacy COVID-19 testing on the way as Ontario sees highest daily count since early June

Province reported 401 cases Friday, two-thirds of which are among those under 40

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...iBio1DK8w09XxAGOORwmkbRAPzAwLQidBcD1eGEcorPC4

I see in an article linked through your linked article that cases in the waterfront district of Toronto are rising.

This is an area I am so familiar with, having spent many fun days there over many summers. Lots of people living in that area in medium and high rises. As well as being close to the CBD, tourist spots, and Yonge Street shopping district.

While this neighbourhood is facing increased levels of community spread of the virus, public health officials are having difficulties determining how roughly half of Ontario's new cases became infected.
"If we don't understand how and where people are getting infected, it's very hard to control this disease," said Tuite.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/waterfront-community-most-new-cases-1.5729100

According to the link below (I could not access your link) the WH instead sent the cloth masks to critical infrasture, companies, healthcare facilities, faith-based and community organisations plus schools. I think that was a better decision than sending the PPE to households, because that was primarily where they were needed then because cases were at places like meat factories, care homes, health facilities etc.

"The Post said that in place of the planned effort to widely distribute masks, "HHS created Project America Strong, a $675 million effort to distribute 'reusable cotton face masks to critical infrastructure sectors, companies, healthcare facilities, and faith-based and community organizations across the country."

A spokesman for the department told the newspaper that "about 600 million of the 650 million masks ordered have been distributed ... including 125 million set aside for schools."

Washington Post: WH nixed plan to distribute 650 million face masks through USPS

The thing is, if the masks had been delivered to every household in the US (as the bulletin said) then everyone working in those critical industries would have had re-useable masks anyway. Because they would have received them at home. I read yesterday that 5 re-useable masks had been allotted for each household in the planned USPS mailout.

And a much larger demographic would have had masks as well.

IMO

How many die from flu in 6 months? March to September?

The impression that we get is that NYC fell victim to the virus. In a bad way. Then the spread started. People kept travelling all over the place. The spread worsened.

My feeling is that if containment happened (stop travelling) this thing could have been localised and many, many deaths wouldn't have happened.

IMO

This link has all the US flu stats. There is also a link to the Covid stats in there too.

Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report | CDC

The thing is, if the masks had been delivered to every household in the US (as the bulletin said) then everyone working in those critical industries would have had re-useable masks anyway. Because they would have received them at home. I read yesterday that 5 re-useable masks had been allotted for each household in the planned USPS mailout.

And a much larger demographic would have had masks as well.

IMO

A lot of them would have been binned too so I don't think it was a good idea sending them to homes at all. Many people had lost their jobs and were at home not even needing masks in their states. Health, and critical infrastructure like transportation and meat packing factories needed them more and I think the WH made the right decision there IMO.

A lot of them would have been binned too so I don't think it was a good idea sending them to homes at all. Many people had lost their jobs and were at home not even needing masks in their states. Health, and critical infrastructure like transportation and meat packing factories needed them more and I think the WH made the right decision there IMO.
Binned? I thought that there's 100% acceptance to wearing masks in the US. JMO

Yes how many masks would've been wasted if they were sent to the anti maskers' homes? All the essential workers I know received free masks from the government at their place of employment. Washable, reusable masks. Hubby folds shop towels and adds them for more protection.

Yes how many masks would've been wasted if they were sent to the anti maskers' homes? All the essential workers I know received free masks from the government at their place of employment. Washable, reusable masks. Hubby folds shop towels and adds them for more protection.

I guess equality for all doesn't apply across the board.
People have equality for all in their movements and travel and potential spread of the virus, but not in the receipt of protective masks - as first intended.

IMO

Unfortunately, meat packing and other packing plants and critical infrastructure in many states never received any PPE - and instead, head theirs confiscated when states tried to buy them on their own.

There's yet to be an accounting of exactly where all the PPE went. We know the military got some (I believe that was in WaPo).

Schools? What PPE ever got to schools? Find an actual incidence of that, outside of a WH press release. Money was given to states for schools and some schools purchased (or are still trying to purchase) PPE. We shouldn't open schools without PPE - and we're still waiting.

California should have seen some of this stuff, right? If they had been sent directly to people's houses, then all our packing house workers would have had them...and healthcare workers (especially care home workers).

Perhaps they are still in the mail somewhere en route to schools and hospitals (who do not typically use cloth masks nor does CDC recommend cloth masks in healthcare settings except in dire emergency - they are risking their lives at that point).

Households focus of concern as Victoria's case numbers dive

Households focus of concern as Victoria's case numbers dive

9News Staff

2 hrs ago
Victoria has recorded a significant drop in the number of new coronavirus infections with 21 new cases identified in the last 24 hours.
"I'm sad you have to tell you that there are now 757 Victorians who have passed away due to this pandemic," Premier Daniel Andrews said.

Victoria's numbers 'lower than than the temperature'
Metropolitan Melbourne's 14-day rolling average is now 39.3, down from 42 yesterday.

Mr Andrews has said his government would make a decision on easing Melbourne's restrictions only when the 14-day average was under 50 "for a decent period".

"It is fantastic to have case numbers lower than the temperature in Victoria," Victoria's Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said today.

"It is the first time in a very long time. So we are absolutely trending on the right direction.
The numbers come as police prepare for anti-lockdown demonstrations across Melbourne today, which authorities fear will spark a resurgence of infections.

We met Alcery Marques Gabriel, a local indigenous leader, while supporting the COVID-19 response in Brazil's Aquidauana region.
He describes the devastation COVID-19 brought to their close-knit community:

"We were trying to contain it. When we least expected it, there was a case here. It hit us hard."
"Now what? CoVid-19 is here. And when it arrived, it arrived in full force. A week later, some of our relatives began to die. Beloved relatives."
"These are lives that are never coming back, there's no return."
“We lost elders who carried our history.”

"That's when Doctors Without Borders came to our community. There has already been an impact. It has already worked."
"If you have to go to town to buy something, wear a mask so we can try to, at least, prevent the contamination of our relatives."

MSF works to prevent spread of COVID-19 among indigenous people in Mato Grosso do Sul
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)

Last edited:
This made me very, very upset this morning because at that time I was spending about 6 hours a day at the sewing machine and had to beg, borrow and steal elastic just to try to get nurses and chemo patients covered. People were begging for masks. I would think I was done and then another request would come in. I was exhausted. To think that each individual could have had at least one, and that I and others might not have felt like we were responding to an emergency all day long...

I still carry them in my car. I gave one to a gentleman who was just released from jail this afternoon and was waiting for a ride at our library. Cloth ones are easier to find now but not everyone has the money. He had a single, pitiful disposable mask from the jail.
I remember you sewing until your hands were sore Jane. Just think of all those people you helped tho xX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member