Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
glad you stuck to your guns
just tell him if he's careful now, he will be healthy enough to attend golf outings in the future
Absolutely!

The thing is, people tend to simplify things to suit their agenda. It's an outdoor patio, no problem... So you won't need the bathroom at all? Or to get close to someone paying the bill (even contactless, you get a little close sometimes)? You and your mates will def be at least one metre apart round that table?

I'm glad for you @ilovewings that your OH is listening to you.

The count is going up, probably because people congregated over Labor Day. We are at about two weeks out.

Happy Holidays. This doesn't bode well for upcoming Jewish high holidays.

Yes and we'll probably see the same thing after Thanskgiving, which is just three weeks away. We won't know how schools are faring before we see a lot of travelling for family gatherings, so that's a high risk time

Thanksgiving weekend is a huge travel weekend in N. ON, when people head to their cottages for one last time to close down their summer places. The ferry stops after Thanksgiving and folks put their boats into storage, so our population drops by half. We're all holding our breath because if we can continue to be CoVid free through the coming month, then we'll likely be ok until next spring.

I spoke with one of the school teachers last night, who said that the kids are doing really well with the new guidelines. Although it's not the same as school life was before CoVid, it's immeasurably better than no school at all. The kids are happy.

Well I thought my job was done! my husband has knee pain so he couldn't play golf or go to a "gathering"-- then- one of his buddies texts him after golf and says, come on down to the restaurant (outdoor but close seating- no masks)- "we miss you"-- I told him blame me, "the wife"--- so he texts his buddy back and says basically his wife won't allow him to go --makes me laugh but that's ok. I just was not comfortable with that type of "gathering"- you kinda think, oh, what is a few guys getting together on the patio of the restaurant, but I know there would be lots of people on that patio with no masks and no social distancing. It is unfortunate that we can't do those things: well, you can but i see it as too much of a risk for us vulnerable folks. Thanks for listening -----

Good job! Once he's trained his friends to understand his house rules, then perhaps it will get easier to say no to risky outings.

The CFR between countries varies so enormously! I wonder why or if they are just missing a lot of cases to drive it up like that.

I can't speak for all countries, but Canada had huge outbreaks in LTC, right at the beginning of the pandemic, when protocols for infection control in LTC had not been good. It was a terrible tragedy that so many lives were lost.

In response to that, Canada took firm measures to stop the spread, and these measures were largely successful. Case numbers dropped and LTC outbreaks were reduced.

The death rate in Canada remains a high of 6.5% because of the terrible loss of life among our vulnerable seniors early in the pandemic.

This appears to be a .gov page from India on coronavirus.

PIB’S DAILY BULLETIN ON COVID-19

India has recorded an unprecedented high of single day recoveries. 87,472 active cases have recovered and been discharged in the past 24 hours from home/facility supervised care and hospitals. India has been consistently reporting a very high level of daily recoveries of more than 70,000 since the past 11 days. The Recovery Rate has further escalated to 78.86% today

There are two ways in which one recovers. One is that the sufferer is restored to health. The other way is that the sufferer is turfed out of the hospital because someone else, in worse condition than you, needs the bed.

But recovery rates are encouraging news.

Pharmacy COVID-19 testing on the way as Ontario sees highest daily count since early June

Province reported 401 cases Friday, two-thirds of which are among those under 40

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...iBio1DK8w09XxAGOORwmkbRAPzAwLQidBcD1eGEcorPC4

from your link,
"We have the pharmacies coming onboard and ramping up. Hopefully by this time next week, we'll have numerous pharmacies out there, helping out the system," Ford said Friday, specifically thanking Loblaws, Shoppers Drug Mart and Rexall.

"You'll be able to walk into a pharmacy and get a test," he said, adding the pharmacy option is specifically meant for people without symptoms of the novel coronavirus. Those with symptoms will still need to visit the province's traditional testing sites for an assessment.

Last edited:
Absolutely!

The thing is, people tend to simplify things to suit their agenda. It's an outdoor patio, no problem... So you won't need the bathroom at all? Or to get close to someone paying the bill (even contactless, you get a little close sometimes)? You and your mates will def be at least one metre apart round that table?

I'm glad for you @ilovewings that your OH is listening to you.

Thing is, the job is never done: it is ongoing--- he just doesn't see how risky that type of situation is-- i was freaking out just thinking about all those people gathered together on that patio oblivious to the risk- and these are old guys too!!!!

Unfortunately, meat packing and other packing plants and critical infrastructure in many states never received any PPE - and instead, head theirs confiscated when states tried to buy them on their own.

There's yet to be an accounting of exactly where all the PPE went. We know the military got some (I believe that was in WaPo).

Schools? What PPE ever got to schools? Find an actual incidence of that, outside of a WH press release. Money was given to states for schools and some schools purchased (or are still trying to purchase) PPE. We shouldn't open schools without PPE - and we're still waiting.

California should have seen some of this stuff, right? If they had been sent directly to people's houses, then all our packing house workers would have had them...and healthcare workers (especially care home workers).

Perhaps they are still in the mail somewhere en route to schools and hospitals (who do not typically use cloth masks nor does CDC recommend cloth masks in healthcare settings except in dire emergency - they are risking their lives at that point).
No school around here received PPE. My mom and I were just working on filling an order of 100 for some littles at a nearby school.

Ugh :confused:
I’m trying to stay a little optimistic still But the headlines I’m seeing about “Second waves” in Europe are imo concerning (disclaimer I’ve only scanned a few articles)

And coming flu/winter sick season. Hopefully people taking precautions will help those Particular numbers some. But Enough People are going to gather indoors (esp for holidays) IMO to keep the corona flowing around.

Latest trends on the US map:
30 states, Washington, DC, and Puerto Rico are showing upward trends
16 states are showing steady trends
4 states are showing downward trends

View attachment 264274
The US is approaching 200,000 Covid-19 deaths. Here's a look at where cases are rising across the country.

Last edited:
Jury trials to resume next month in Massachusetts courts
More at link
Jury trials will begin to resume on a limited basis next month, officials announced Thursday, a major step forward after the pandemic prompted courthouses to pause most in-person business and proceedings.

Under a new order from the Supreme Judicial Court, individual courts will start the first phase of reviving jury trials on Oct. 23. Juries will be limited to six people, and each participating court location will hold no more than one trial at a time to avoid excessive crowding that could render social distancing impossible.

Winthrop man fined $300 for hosting party with no masks, no social distancing, police say
More
“Our community has been hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic, and willful disregard of the precautions we’re all responsible for maintaining has consequences,” he said in a statement. “Winthrop residents have been doing their part to curb the spread in of the virus in town, and everyone has to remain committed to making these shared sacrifices for the greater good.”

After 80 students test positive for COVID in 2 days, a New England college switches to remote learning
Rhode Island
Providence College issued a stay-at-home order and moved to total remote learning after more than 80 students at the Rhode Island school tested positive for the coronavirus in a two-day period.

Rev. Kenneth Sicard, president of the college, told the campus community in a message Thursday that a large concentration of the dozens of students who tested positive for COVID-19 were living off campus.

Lawyer accuses Northeastern of creating 'private prison' with 'untenable rules'
More at link

Northeastern University has decided that the 11 first-year students who were dismissed earlier this month for breaking the school's COVID-19 rules will be credited the tuition portion of their fall semester expenses, partially reversing a controversial decision.

Ugh :confused:
I’m trying to stay a little optimistic still But the headlines I’m seeing about “Second waves” Europe are imo concerning (disclaimer I’ve only scanned a few articles)

And coming flu/winter sick season. Hopefully people taking precautions will help those Particular numbers some. But Enough People are going to gather indoors (esp for holidays) IMO to keep the corona flowing around.

You may be safer in winter, if you keep up your safe practises. We had a remarkable drop in flu this winter, due to social distancing, good hand hygiene, and staying home more. And there was a big uptake in the flu vaccine, as advised by our govt health sources.

There were only 208 laboratory-confirmed cases of influenza nationwide last month – compared to 30,567 at the same time in 2019.
Physical distancing and good hand hygiene: Australian flu cases drop by more than 99%

Hundreds of Australian flu deaths have been avoided because of the lockdown measures used to prevent the spread of COVID-19, experts say.
The latest national statistics, obtained by the ABC, reveal from January to June 2020, there were just 36 deaths from the flu.
That compares to 430 deaths in the same period for 2019.
This time last year 430 people had died from influenza. This year it's just 36

You may be safer in winter, if you keep up your safe practises. We had a remarkable drop in flu this winter, due to social distancing, good hand hygiene, and staying home more. And there was a big uptake in the flu vaccine, as advised by our govt health sources.

There were only 208 laboratory-confirmed cases of influenza nationwide last month – compared to 30,567 at the same time in 2019.
Physical distancing and good hand hygiene: Australian flu cases drop by more than 99%

Hundreds of Australian flu deaths have been avoided because of the lockdown measures used to prevent the spread of COVID-19, experts say.
The latest national statistics, obtained by the ABC, reveal from January to June 2020, there were just 36 deaths from the flu.
That compares to 430 deaths in the same period for 2019.
This time last year 430 people had died from influenza. This year it's just 36

I was thinking that if people wear masks and social distance, there should be many less cases of the flu. i hope i am right.

glad you stuck to your guns
just tell him if he's careful now, he will be healthy enough to attend golf outings in the future

I had to stick to my guns cause i was freaking out thinking of how he could expose both of us to the virus if he did what he wanted to do. It only takes one weak moment, one thoughtless moment, and your life could change forever.

How many die from flu in 6 months? March to September?

The impression that we get is that NYC fell victim to the virus. In a bad way. Then the spread started. People kept travelling all over the place. The spread worsened.

My feeling is that if containment happened (stop travelling) this thing could have been localised and many, many deaths wouldn't have happened.

IMO
From what I recall Governor Cuomo said it was the people from China who travelled to New York in droves that spread the virus there- it took a while to recognize that was the problem. By then it was too late. the genie was out of the bottle

There are two ways in which one recovers. One is that the sufferer is restored to health. The other way is that the sufferer is turfed out of the hospital because someone else, in worse condition than you, needs the bed.

But recovery rates are encouraging news.

Recovery from this nasty virus has lots of different meanings for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member