Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #79

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fauci says it's 'very concerning' that Florida is re-opening bars and restaurants

Mon, September 28, 2020, 10:30 AM EDT

b5d82a0e7c87b0c9cfb64d5b302873e9

Fauci insisted he's not calling for universal shut downs, but just a dose of "common sense."

"When I say that, people get concerned that we’re talking about shutting down," he said. "We’re not talking about shutting anything down, we’re talking about common sense type of public health measures that we’ve been talking about all along."

You just have to shake your head in wonderment-- does DeSantis understand the concept of a pandemic and how this virus is transmitted, or is he so jaded he simply doesn't care if people get sick and/or die? I don't get it. My husband says well, we have to get the economy going--- I look at him in wonderment too and don't feel like arguing about how you need to contain the virus before you can get the economy going.

Dr Fauci said today .....

The federal style of government in the US can act against the country’s best interest in a pandemic, Dr. Anthony Fauci said Monday.

States and territories cannot always go their own way, Fauci told CNN’s Brian Stelter.

“The federalist approach where you have a central government but you also have the 50 states and other territories that have the capability and are encouraged even to act independently on our own,” Fauci said.

“That works well a lot of times. But when you have an epidemic that grips the entire country, a pandemic where one part of the country influences another part of the country, it’s important to do things in a relatively uniform way while respecting the individual differences in states, in cities and in counties,” added Fauci, who is director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and a member of the White House coronavirus task force.

“You have to respect some of the differences but there are some things that you really want to do in common. It’s almost as if you look at the country as a large forest and when you have a fire in some of the trees in the forest, the entire forest is in danger — not just that section of the forest that has the fire.”

Coronavirus update: Latest world news for September 28

Gotta love Dr Fauci... He tries so hard

I really don't think they still understand how children catch, spread or become symptomatic or not show symptoms at all. This is good news and I think that UK primary schools (younger ages) have not reported enormous problems either AFAIK.

There's a ton of research on the topic. It's perfectly clear that children get CoVid the same way everyone else does (through inhaling virions).

The reaction of the mucous membranes in children's noses is much more robust than in older noses (and this response wanes at around age 12-14, at the same time the lungs become more adult-like). Children tend not to get infections in their lungs, mostly due to this.

Many adults are asymptomatic, and the causes are likely similar to those in children, with fatigue and a runny nose often being overlooked or regarded as so frequent by a parent that they pay it no mind.

Children do not transmit CoVid at the same rates as adults - I've posted quite a few links in the past, but it's easy to google (scholar.google.com would be my recommendation).

Children do not typically die of CoVid either (because it never takes hold in their longs). After around age 12-14, they become more symptomatic, but due to the T cell issues (kids have tons of unused T cells) they are much more resilient in their immune response.

Unfortunately, some children do have lasting effects from CoVid, still under study (with a fear that kids who have had it may have some lasting effects to their immune systems - as it may be that CoVid triggers an immune response starting with the nasal membranes, and that response may inhibit T cell memory). Jury is out on that part - for everyone, not just kids.

Anyway, those kids that do get very ill from CoVId (the inflammatory syndrome) may have experienced a CoVid attack on the marrow-based part of the immune system.

Kids can transmit CoVid, but when they are small (say under 7), their lungs can't propel the virions as far as when they're older. By aged 12-13, kids are nearly as able to transmit CoVid as most adults are.

Perhaps you have a link for that otherwise I will go with the links I have posted. Dr. Fauci has been ok'd by mods as a highly reputable source. Any reason you don't agree with him?

The Olympics are planning to go ahead in 2021 also. I'll find the link I read today. The torch has begun it's journey. From Greece to Japan.

Olympics will proceed in 2021 'as proof of pandemic's defeat', says Japan's PM

But will Japan allow in athletes from the nations who are on its no-go list? Any word on that?

Fauci says it's 'very concerning' that Florida is re-opening bars and restaurants

Mon, September 28, 2020, 10:30 AM EDT

b5d82a0e7c87b0c9cfb64d5b302873e9

Fauci insisted he's not calling for universal shut downs, but just a dose of "common sense."

"When I say that, people get concerned that we’re talking about shutting down," he said. "We’re not talking about shutting anything down, we’re talking about common sense type of public health measures that we’ve been talking about all along."

You just have to shake your head in wonderment-- does DeSantis understand the concept of a pandemic and how this virus is transmitted, or is he so jaded he simply doesn't care if people get sick and/or die? I don't get it. My husband says well, we have to get the economy going--- I look at him in wonderment too and don't feel like arguing about how you need to contain the virus before you can get the economy going.

This is some good news regarding younger school age children in Florida.... Florida does have an advantage of having many or most high schools set in an "outside corridor" style of architecture. College students cases are still surging, but school age doing pretty well!!

Florida schools reopened en masse. Feared COVID surge hasn't followed.

How is FL accounting for its very high per capita rates in adults? I understand that hardly any kids are tested - so how would anyone know if they are the vector?

Also, I can't find much about contact tracing in FL - so again, how would anyone know? FL is definitely on the short list of places with lots of active cases.

Most FL counties are not submitting active case data to the national database (which becomes international of course).

Florida Coronavirus: 701,302 Cases and 14,043 Deaths (COVID-19 ) - Worldometer

I guess this is a global issue?

The article I posted was specifically about the state of Ohio during the pandemic. As the TV show I watched, Foreign Correspondent, was looking at the USA during the pandemic and noticed the many congested food banks throughout Ohio, during their travels.
And I guess I was surprised because the impression I had from previous posts was that current food deprivation in Ohio was primarily a student issue, and that colleges/Universities were catering for that through their own food banks.

But I guess we had not explored that senior residents and others may be suffering, too.

I know in my own country, outside of the pandemic, the govt has been exploring ways to stop unemployed parents and the retired from using their govt funds at the 'pokies' (poker machines placed in many pubs to raise pub revenue) by issuing govt pension cards that can only be used for food/essentials.
And during the pandemic they have increased (doubled) unemployment payments - for about 6 months - and a lesser increase in govt payments for the next 3-6 months.

Pre-pandemic:
The Australian Government is considering the best possible ways to support people, families and communities in places where high levels of welfare dependence co-exist with high levels of social harm.
The Cashless Debit Card is testing whether reducing the amount of cash available in a community will reduce the overall harm caused by welfare fueled alcohol, gambling and drug misuse.
While it is not the only solution, it is a useful tool operating alongside other reforms to address the devastating impacts of drug and alcohol misuse and problem gambling.
The Cashless Debit Card looks and operates like a regular bank card, except it cannot be used to buy alcohol or gambling products, some gift cards or to withdraw cash.

Cashless Debit Card | Department of Social Services, Australian Government

Last edited:
But will Japan allow in athletes from the nations who are on its no-go list? Any word on that?

I know that Japan is considering limiting the audience and the delegations from each country that is permitted to participate.
But it is also said that 3 in 4 Japanese do not want the 2021 Olympic Games in Japan to happen.

In July, Tokyo 2020 chief executive Toshiro Muto said it was possible that the Games be held to a "limited" audience, but said they wanted to avoid the possibility of having no spectators at all.
Instead, he added that the Games could potentially "simplify" its opening and closing ceremonies, as well as reduce the number of staff and delegations from each country.
Tokyo Olympics will happen 'with or without Covid'

This is not true for the Japanese people — we do not have such an option. Visitors will be coming regardless of how we feel. According to a survey done by Kyodo in July, only one in four Japanese welcome the idea of hosting the Olympics next year.
The Tokyo Olympics should not be held amid coronavirus pandemic

Last edited:

Well, there is a point of view that says everyone should just get Covid. Predictions are that about 3% of people overall would die in that case. Then it would be pretty much over - unless of course CoVid really does attack T cell immunity, as currently theorized by several reputable scientists. And unless we can get it over and over until we die from it.

I hate to try to state it, but it has its own internal logic, I guess.

It is in this model that 15-25% of those 85 and over die (whether in care homes or not, just to make that clear).
4-5% of those aged 75-84 (all figures in this post are approximate), 3% for those aged 65-84, 1-2% of those 50-74, 1% of those 30-49. Less than half a percent of the rest.

That's a lot of dead people. However, as I am frequently told by younger people, "Old people are going to die soon anyway." Relatively speaking, that's true. It's rather heartless, but it's true.

I don't think I'll be taking my retirement fund and spending it on bars and restaurants though. I think I'll donate it to a worthy cause after splitting a good chunk between my offspring.

It's only about 2-5 million more Americans who die in this model - and our only control at this point seems to be whether it will be fast (Florida style) or slow (New York style).

We don't know the real rates because so many Americans have known comorbidities that make figures from other nations less useful, we have terrible data here on the home front (if we consider the nation as a whole), and, well, a lot of people won't know they have some comorbidity (such as an electrical issue with their heart) until they get CoVid that affects their heart. It's always that way with infectious disease.

I hope those young people have enough coin to take the wheel of the economy and pay enough taxes to support the government and its expenses, as well as themselves and all the businesses they are going to visit. I wonder how many of them will inherit much if their parents are the unlucky ones who die (that would be about 3% of their parents, on average).

Most Americans are in debt, they don't have a lot of savings. House payments are real (and young people may not even know what the house payment is - much less taxes and upkeep).

Anyway - there's a view that says just bite the bullet, get it over with and move on. All of this is very eye-opening. DeSantis has let the genie out of the bottle. I think it's also the case that FL has more old people than many other states...

Dr Tom Frieden says:

"Blaming CDC for their failures is like blaming someone who has been tied up and encased in cement for failing to swim. Our premier public health agency hasn't been allowed to play the role that it usually plays: Keeping Americans safe."

He draws attention to this article.

Dr Tom Frieden says:

"Blaming CDC for their failures is like blaming someone who has been tied up and encased in cement for failing to swim. Our premier public health agency hasn't been allowed to play the role that it usually plays: Keeping Americans safe."

He draws attention to this article.

Am I to understand that no one from the CDC can speak up this administration and say no, this is not right- we won't say that----

I think food banks are awesome. It cuts out the middle man and takes food right to the neediest sources.

We have been in a pandemic and many have lost much of their usual income. Thank goodness for the Ohioans who put together the food banks, donated their time, and thank goodness for the companies that donated the food. ❤️

Don't forget the people who donate tons of food to food banks. Here in NC our community donates a huge amount of food to the local food pantry, and a lot of money too.

Don't forget the people who donate tons of food to food banks. Here in NC our community donates a huge amount of food to the local food pantry, and a lot of money too.
YES, our local markets do FOOD DRIVES where we can purchase a bag of food to be donated to shelters and food banks.
And our mail deliverers do a smilier drive, where we fill up bags of our canned or boxed goods to be donated to food bank.

Am I to understand that no one from the CDC can speak up this administration and say no, this is not right- we won't say that----

Yes - and those of us who have worked within governmental agencies know the game all too well (those scientists in the basement of the CDC are quitting, they're livid, it's hard for the CDC to recruit).

On forums devoted to medical doctors, everyone is incensed and feeling hopeless. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025