Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #79

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hannah Durack was so certain she was only coming back to Australia for a short trip that she left her New York apartment entirely untouched.
She had been overseas for 11 years by this point, and was a leader in her field.
.... last week she called time, wrapping up her job there and turning her mind to what Australia now had to offer, and what she could bring to the arts scene here.

Hannah's story is repeated as almost 400,000 Australians return from abroad during the pandemic.

Not every Australian has come home, however, highlighting the enduring appeal of working abroad.
At any given time, about 1 million Australians live and work overseas, meaning the majority of those who were abroad before the pandemic have chosen to stay away.

'Water my plants': Hannah thought she was returning to Australia for a short trip. She was wrong

Most of us don't know if the US has a plan (LOL).l

Dr Fauci said today .....

The federal style of government in the US can act against the country’s best interest in a pandemic, Dr. Anthony Fauci said Monday.

States and territories cannot always go their own way, Fauci told CNN’s Brian Stelter.

“The federalist approach where you have a central government but you also have the 50 states and other territories that have the capability and are encouraged even to act independently on our own,” Fauci said.

“That works well a lot of times. But when you have an epidemic that grips the entire country, a pandemic where one part of the country influences another part of the country, it’s important to do things in a relatively uniform way while respecting the individual differences in states, in cities and in counties,” added Fauci, who is director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and a member of the White House coronavirus task force.

“You have to respect some of the differences but there are some things that you really want to do in common. It’s almost as if you look at the country as a large forest and when you have a fire in some of the trees in the forest, the entire forest is in danger — not just that section of the forest that has the fire.”

Coronavirus update: Latest world news for September 28

Wow, that’s awesome!
NC - no rapid tests available at CVS locally.
Family had to schedule via PCP-doctor or prescreened online with list of symptoms. We had three family members that did not pass the prescreening because they did not have a fever or cough. Two never got a test.
Also if you do not reside in the state - you do not qualify for a test. It took weeks for me to get approval since I wasn’t a resident and had no symptoms.
It seems to vary from state to state.
JMO
I checked CVS first and it was the next day before an available appointment.

I did have symptoms, tested at my family doctors office, drive by in parking lot. I sounded so bad on the phone the NP called me back and called in two inhalers and steroids and kept telling me to go to the ER if I got worse.

I tested negative, all of the above meds and a round of antibiotics and I still feel like crud.

Per the Virginia dash board we have tested thousands of out of state. I know those that live on the border may see a doctor in an adjoining state I still thought it seemed like alot.

I think you may be correct, its related to symptoms.

Sorry I don't know. I don't think it is a good idea at all because of the following:

We only presently have separate threads for countries. So would that mean a separate thread for care home cases for each country? That would be very cumbersome. If we are discussing one particular home and putting that on it's own thread, it would be a never ending task IMO.
And often when we make separate threads, no one sees the posts. Those smaller threads fall in between the cracks and the info is lost.

I don't see why 'care homes' should be a separate subject. It mirrors the problem we have in real life---of separating the elderly and ignoring their plight. JMO

Available does not mean the general public will get it.

Despite the president’s repeated claims that a vaccine will be available in October, scientists, companies and federal officials all say that most people won’t get one until well into next year.
Testing and producing a vaccine is a complex process with a lot of uncertainties. But the best guess for now, experts say, is this: If every aspect of the vaccines’ development and distribution goes exactly as planned — and history has shown that rarely happens — certain people in high-risk groups could get vaccinated this year. Most other Americans, however, will quite likely have to wait until well into next year.

When Will You Be Able to Get a Coronavirus Vaccine?
It is the high risk groups that need it the most. So I think this is still good news. JMO

Assuming this is followed by the President.
The president is not involved in the decision making process for vaccine distribution. It's an independent group of scientist that recommends vaccines distribution. They create a draft, post for public comment and the final recommendation.

The site I posted has a letter from the committee explaining the procedure.

It's was a very similar approach for the H1N1 vaccine. H1N1 was shipped to the states for distribution.

Fauci says it's 'very concerning' that Florida is re-opening bars and restaurants

Mon, September 28, 2020, 10:30 AM EDT

b5d82a0e7c87b0c9cfb64d5b302873e9

Fauci insisted he's not calling for universal shut downs, but just a dose of "common sense."

"When I say that, people get concerned that we’re talking about shutting down," he said. "We’re not talking about shutting anything down, we’re talking about common sense type of public health measures that we’ve been talking about all along."

Just jumping off your post, because it made me think of an Aussie show that I watched the other night, called Foreign Correspondent. A journo was travelling around the US, staying in an RV, viewing the state of things. He commented that Ohio is one of the 'richer' states filled with cornfields and other food sources, yet the many food banks there have long lines of people waiting for weekly handouts.
He said one food bank told him they give out 3,000-4,000 boxes of food each week, primarily to older people.

As unemployment remains high amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, more than 1 in 10 Ohioans say their household often did not have enough to eat because of difficulty affording food.
That’s a sharp increase from food-hardship levels before the crisis, hitting families with children and minorities the hardest.

The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities found:
  • 847,000 adults in Ohio, or 11%, reported their household sometimes or often didn’t have enough to eat in the last seven days.
  • 356,000 adults living with children in Ohio reported the children were not eating enough because they couldn’t afford food. That number is 13% of adults with kids in the house.
Hunger among Ohio families increasing as COVID-19 pandemic persists

I think you will find this across the nation. Communities working together to provide for those in need.

It's becoming harder for many with increase food cost. and I know my grocery bill is 10 to 15% higher since March, for the same products.

Just jumping off your post, because it made me think of an Aussie show that I watched the other night, called Foreign Correspondent. A journo was travelling around the US, staying in an RV, viewing the state of things. He commented that Ohio is one of the 'richer' states filled with cornfields and other food sources, yet the many food banks there have long lines of people waiting for weekly handouts.
He said one food bank told him they give out 3,000-4,000 boxes of food each week, primarily to older people.

As unemployment remains high amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, more than 1 in 10 Ohioans say their household often did not have enough to eat because of difficulty affording food.
That’s a sharp increase from food-hardship levels before the crisis, hitting families with children and minorities the hardest.

• 847,000 adults in Ohio, or 11%, reported their household sometimes or often didn’t have enough to eat in the last seven days.
  • 356,000 adults living with children in Ohio reported the children were not eating enough because they couldn’t afford food. That number is 13% of adults with kids in the house.
I think food banks are awesome. It cuts out the middle man and takes food right to the neediest sources.

We have been in a pandemic and many have lost much of their usual income. Thank goodness for the Ohioans who put together the food banks, donated their time, and thank goodness for the companies that donated the food. ❤️

I guess this is a global issue?

Foodbank Australia

September 7 at 12:31 AM ·

Catch up on what Foodbank has been doing to help vulnerable community members during this pandemic.
#ZeroHunger #HamperPacking #FoodRelief

[It looks like Australians are using the Food Banks as well.]

Australia is considered to be the Lucky Country, but the good life is not shared by all. More than one in five Aussies were food insecure at least some point throughout the past 12 months, a fifth of these being children. Working with the food and grocery industry and the public, Foodbank is the largest distributor of food and groceries to charities and community groups around the country who, in turn, provide assistance to people in need. You can help. Liking this page is an easy way to get behind Foodbank and show your support for the problem. Encourage your friends and family to do the same. You can also donate food, funds or your own time as a volunteer. Go to www.foodbank.org.au for m

And often when we make separate threads, no one sees the posts. Those smaller threads fall in between the cracks and the info is lost.

I don't see why 'care homes' should be a separate subject. It mirrors the problem we have in real life---of separating the elderly and ignoring their plight. JMO

That was never the proposal. It was to be a thread about crimes chalked up to CoVid (as there were two Grand Jury indictments).

Wasn't my proposal - but it wasn't a bad proposal. This thread is a very general thread, the vaccine thread is more interesting to me right now - and I'd follow a thread on crimes and lawsuits involving CoVid.

But the issue wasn't about the elderly - it was about criminal charges due to CoVid related issues.

That was never the proposal. It was to be a thread about crimes chalked up to CoVid (as there were two Grand Jury indictments).

Wasn't my proposal - but it wasn't a bad proposal. This thread is a very general thread, the vaccine thread is more interesting to me right now - and I'd follow a thread on crimes and lawsuits involving CoVid.

But the issue wasn't about the elderly - it was about criminal charges due to CoVid related issues.

Unfortunately, many crimes against people are increasing during these times of stress and worry caused by covid.

Amid the COVID-19 pandemic many countries have reported an increase in domestic violence and intimate partner violence. United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres, noting the "horrifying global surge", has called for a domestic violence "ceasefire".

Domestic violence and sexual exploitation, which is already an epidemic across the world, spike when households were placed under the increased strains that come from security, health and money worries, and cramped and confined living conditions. Prior to the pandemic, it was estimated that one in three women will experience violence during their lifetimes, a human rights violation that also bears an economic cost of US$1.5 trillion.

More domestic violence helplines and shelters across the world are reporting rising calls for help.In a number of countries, domestic violence reports and emergency calls have surged upwards of 25 per cent since social distancing measures were enacted. Such numbers are also likely to reflect only the worst cases.

Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on domestic violence - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members