Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #81

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump says he'll leave Walter Reed tonight

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

I will be leaving the great Walter Reed Medical Center today at 6:30 P.M. Feeling really good! Don’t be afraid of Covid. Don’t let it dominate your life. We have developed, under the Trump Administration, some really great drugs & knowledge. I feel better than I did 20 years ago!

We may have developed some really great drugs, but they are not all available to the general public.

Trump says he'll leave Walter Reed tonight

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

I will be leaving the great Walter Reed Medical Center today at 6:30 P.M. Feeling really good! Don’t be afraid of Covid. Don’t let it dominate your life. We have developed, under the Trump Administration, some really great drugs & knowledge. I feel better than I did 20 years ago!
I agree with the President. I'm not afraid of Covid and it doesn't dominate my life.

I respect the dangers of Covid and I take measures to avoid getting it. JMO

No White House contract tracing. Just wonderful (not).

Michael Shear, NY Times reporter:
"I have not been contacted by the White House," Shear said on CNN's "New Day" Monday morning. "Nobody from the White House has said 'boo' and asked anything about where I was or who I talked to or who else I might have infected."

New York Times reporter infected with Covid-19 says the White House is not doing contact tracing - CNN

In the wake of Trump's COVID-19 diagnosis, the White House has yet to mobilize a CDC tracing team to contact hundreds of people who were in the president's company

Apparently not. Even though resources are available. Perhaps people will self identify and quarantine, get tested, wear masks, and control the spread.

A Contrast in Trump and us. Reading this made me tear up.

There is little indication that the administration has undertaken a serious effort to contact and trace people who were at a Supreme Court nominating event nine days ago at the White House that appears to have infected multiple people. There are no official briefings warning Americans about what they need to do to mitigate the worsening situation. And the government experts who once were front and center are never seen alongside the President.

The newly diagnosed patients will not have the state-of-the-art facilities, experimental treatments and dedicated hospital suites that are afforded to the President of the United States. Many patients in the pandemic have died alone in crowded hospitals cut off from loved ones.

As Trump was dramatically flown to the hospital on Marine One, the US has recorded another 121,000 cases of Covid-19 and another 1,800 deaths. None of those new patients will get the dedicated round-the-clock medical care, experimental treatments, hospital suites and joy rides that are available to the President amid a national emergency in which many have died alone and patients are isolated from loved ones in crowded hospitals.

As Trump's condition makes headlines, America's pandemic is getting worse - CNNPolitics

This is what I feared. This statement is wrong. It is irresponsible. The rest of the nation will not and does not have access to aggressive, preventative treatments like the president and his inner circle do. We don't get to "check in" the hospital "as a precaution". We don't get compassionate use waivers for experimental medications when our symptoms are mild. We don't get steroids when we aren't severely ill, like Trump did. Many of us still have problems even getting a test!

We DO need to be reasonably afraid of this virus and take reasonable, sensible precautions like limiting who we are near and wearing our damn masks. I find this a very negligent statement to make to the American public. I think it is immoral and I'm upset:

“I will be leaving the great Walter Reed Medical Center today at 6:30 P.M.,” Trump tweeted. “Feeling really good! Don’t be afraid of Covid. ... I feel better than I did 20 years ago!”

Trump says leaving hospital for White House, feels great

This is what I feared. This statement is wrong. It is irresponsible. The rest of the nation will not and does not have access to aggressive, preventative treatments like the president and his inner circle do. We don't get to "check in" the hospital "as a precaution". We don't get compassionate use waivers for experimental medications when our symptoms are mild. We don't get steroids when we aren't severely ill, like Trump did. Many of us still have problems even getting a test!

We DO need to be reasonably afraid of this virus and take reasonable, sensible precautions like limiting who we are near and wearing our damn masks. I find this a very negligent statement to make to the American public. I think it is immoral and I'm upset:

“I will be leaving the great Walter Reed Medical Center today at 6:30 P.M.,” Trump tweeted. “Feeling really good! Don’t be afraid of Covid. ... I feel better than I did 20 years ago!”

Totally agree. ETA: and I was waiting for this too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/10/05/cdc-coronavirus-airborne-transmission/

CDC says airborne transmission plays a role in coronavirus spread in a long-awaited update after a website error last month

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention acknowledged Monday that people can sometimes be infected with the coronavirus through airborne transmission, especially in enclosed spaces with inadequate ventilation.

The long-awaited
update to the agency Web page explaining how the virus spreads represents an official acknowledgment of growing evidence that under certain conditions, people farther than six feet apart can become infected by tiny droplets and particles that float in the air for minutes and hours, and that they play a role in the pandemic.

The update follows an embarrassing incident last month when the agency removed a draft that had not gone through proper review and was posted in error. The draft’s wording included a reference to aerosols — tiny droplets that can stay in the air, potentially traveling a significant distance. Officials said the draft was removed because they feared the language could be misinterpreted as suggesting that airborne transmission is the main way the virus spreads.

(more at link)

A Contrast in Trump and us. Reading this made me tear up.

There is little indication that the administration has undertaken a serious effort to contact and trace people who were at a Supreme Court nominating event nine days ago at the White House that appears to have infected multiple people. There are no official briefings warning Americans about what they need to do to mitigate the worsening situation. And the government experts who once were front and center are never seen alongside the President.

The newly diagnosed patients will not have the state-of-the-art facilities, experimental treatments and dedicated hospital suites that are afforded to the President of the United States. Many patients in the pandemic have died alone in crowded hospitals cut off from loved ones.

As Trump was dramatically flown to the hospital on Marine One, the US has recorded another 121,000 cases of Covid-19 and another 1,800 deaths. None of those new patients will get the dedicated round-the-clock medical care, experimental treatments, hospital suites and joy rides that are available to the President amid a national emergency in which many have died alone and patients are isolated from loved ones in crowded hospitals.

As Trump's condition makes headlines, America's pandemic is getting worse - CNNPolitics
Agreed. My friend just lost her husband of 30+ years. He died alone in the hospital. The same hospital that she's worked at for most of those 30 years. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:

I have to admit I often wish twitter had never been invented.

I agree with the President. I'm not afraid of Covid and it doesn't dominate my life.

I respect the dangers of Covid and I take measures to avoid getting it. JMO

Yes but HE doesn't take the proper measures. And he pressures those around him not to either AND mocks those who do.

How is this right?

The gift of fear doesn't just apply to murderers. We have been told and shown by scientists and the medical establishment, over and over, that masks are necessary.

As long as I am wearing one and those around me are, I'm NOT afraid.

But thanks to irresponsible leadership that advocates mocking those who do as being "scaredy cats", I have to fear this virus.

Well, at least he's predictable. What to do when satire morphs into a reality that may negatively impact those who do not have access to all of the wonderful drugs available?

I was reading some predictions about how the most important patient in the country would react to his illness, and it is frightening to realize how the cynical satire has become real. Imo

I have to admit I often wish twitter had never been invented.

Yes but I mean it's not that hard for a leader to refrain from publishing any comment that they feel like making at a given moment. I refrain quite a bit on my social media. And I'm a nobody. And some of these detrimental statements we have seen were right in public, out of his mouth, like mocking Biden for wearing a mask.

I feel better than I did 20 years ago - famous last words?

We shall see.

Yes, that's probably the dexamethasone talking. I do wonder how long he'll be on it or whether he'll go off it once he leaves the hospital (probably not). But eventually, of course he will, due to side effects.

He may not feel so chipper at that point in time. Steroids really can aid in suppressing pain and inflammation - something that many of us would like to have, but as everyone should know, longterm steroid use is only for serious conditions and even then, people often have to take breaks from it. That can be accompanied by mood changes. "This medicine may cause changes in mood or behavior for some patients. Tell your doctor right away if you have depression, mood swings, a false or unusual sense of well-being, trouble sleeping, or personality changes while taking this medicine."

Dexamethasone (Oral Route) Side Effects - Mayo Clinic.

Not saying he has such a situation - but the longer a person takes it, the more likely it is to get this common side effect. It's more common in the elderly (all the side effects of steroids are more common in the elderly). I would assume that since he didn't have an over-reaction from his immune system that he's no longer on them, though,

Justice Scalia's Son Apologizes To His Parish For Not Wearing Mask At White House

Justice Scalia's Son Apologizes To His Parish For Not Wearing Mask At White House

"A son of the late Justice Antonin Scalia apologized to his parish Sunday for attending a White House ceremony without wearing a mask.

The Rev. Paul Scalia of the St. James Catholic Church in suburban Virginia said he attended the Rose Garden ceremony where President Trump named Judge Amy Coney Barrett as his next pick for the Supreme Court. Barrett clerked for the elder Scalia and remains a friend of the family."

He attended with his brother Eugene and his mother. They were given rapid tests and told they could remove their masks. He also said the three of them have tested negative so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm