Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #83

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it had already been decided that blood type wasn't a factor?

Unfortunately, I am Type A and "a separate Canadian study found that among 95 patients critically ill with COVID-19, a higher proportion of those with blood Type A or AB had longer stays in intensive care than patients with Type O or B. Those ICU stays lasted 4.5 days longer on average."

Kicking that can down the road again: People with Type O blood may have lower risk of COVID-19 infection, severe illness

ETA: And just an OT aside with all the talk of chicken pox. I had a co-worker years ago who honestly thought it was "chicken pops". She also would set the margarines on her typewriter, lol.

Of course, that group of people (especially the newly retired) have disposable income. If they all stay home from restaurants and retail stores, it's going to reduce spending in those places considerably. Most businesses have a very narrow profit margin, and so we can expect that if 25% of the spending in some restaurants came from older people (which is true in my town, lots of breakfast places - the popular one near the hospital is mostly old people)...then those businesses will still go under.

A public space without older people is a different space. I can see it already.

And of course, all businesses that deal with older people must wear masks, have mitigation measures in place because older people still have to go to the doctor, the drugstore, lawyers. I suppose we'll be discouraged from visiting friends in nursing homes - but most people in nursing homes receive visits mostly from people their own age.

Elderly people who love church will be discouraged from going, etc. It'll be up to them to "decide" whether to get CoVid at church. Choirs will be all younger voice (frankly, a lot of 50-somethings are going to make a sober reassessment of their lives).

The work-from-home high tech businesses aren't going to reverse their decisions. Big cities that depended on lunch and dinner shopping/receipts from those workers aren't going to magically recover.

A big plan is needed. Re-ventilation of nursing homes and hospitals should of course be in the plan, as well as ongoing mandates for masks in public transportation and indoor businesses where eating/drinking aren't a factor.

It's interesting how much less we spend right now than when we were working on campus (gas, random stops at the drug store to purchase a greeting card and ending up spending another $50 on seasonal decor or skincare or whatnot, impulse purchases at the mall, going to the mall with granddaughters and buying kid things, taking granddaughters to the indoor play spaces - now all are closed permanently). Buying kites at the concession near the beach...giving the kids money to spend at the nearby kid arcade...

Lots of things we older people spend on that will now be absent from the economy. We've been giving more to political and social causes, as a result.

The county I live in is a great tourist and retiree destination. So plenty of old folks, and plenty of strangers all the time. But it also has a very broad based poor, middle and working class population. The vulnerable abound!!
My tiny church helps with many cooperative programs to help folks out, including a day-drop where we provide bagged breakfasts and lunches, and sundries and critically needed items like socks and boxer shorts!!! We are now collecting sweat shirts for them.

We serve the homeless and the underserved. A number of our "visitors" are older, and many had little part time jobs. Most have lost their little jobs. Some have chosen to not work, because they are scared healthwise. They are so appreciative of what they get from the day-drop, but they just have no idea what they are going to do long term.

Just sayin... there are so many with no disposable income, whose lives are very difficult.

But what you say here is just what is soooooooooooooooo needed.

A big plan is needed. Re-ventilation of nursing homes and hospitals should of course be in the plan, as well as ongoing mandates for masks in public transportation and indoor businesses where eating/drinking aren't a factor.

Planning and analytics could, and should be the Master American Plan that we all can see and understand.

I truly believe, if we had that, more American would understand that we all have to sacrifice to some degree for the good of the country.

A quote from the actual story:

"“Lockdowns are not something that WHO recommended, but they needed to be used in a number of countries because the outbreaks were growing so quickly,” Van Kerkhove said. “But we’re hopeful countries will not need national lockdowns again.”

More detail on how this idea is being taken out of context in the pandemic of disinformation/misinformation that we are suffering through, from a reputable source:

WHO Warning About Covid-19 Coronavirus Lockdowns Is Taken Out Of Context

"the way to tackle the Covid-19 coronavirus is through layering various policies and interventions in a coordinated, organized way."

That is, don't do absolutely nothing and then panic when the virus overwhelmes the health care system, and then be forced to shut everything down. This has never been the recommendations of the WHO.

Queen Elizabeth's Mask-less Public Appearance Has Sparked Concern — InStyle

“It has been months since we've seen Queen Elizabeth outside of a Zoom call, but today, the 94-year-old monarch is finally back on the scene.

She joined her grandson, Prince William, to visit the top-secret Defence Science and Technology Laboratory at Porton Down, in Wiltshire, U.K. The Queen wore a pink jacket with a matching hat and black loafers. Noticeably missing from her (and William's) ensemble was a face mask.”

“According to ITV News royal editor Chris Ship, Buckingham Palace said that the Queen's tour was private and therefore a mask was not required. "Buckingham Palace says the Queen was not wearing a face mask (and nor was Prince William) after consulting her own medics and those who work at @dstlmod," he wrote on Twitter.”

“Ship also added that people at the facility all tested negative for the virus before her visit. “

Good points. And true confession....there ARE a number of other critical issues that I am having to address for myself and others right now...they are the issues that more honestly have me worked up!!!
So confusing misinformation just gets magnified in my mind right now.
You are not alone, there are many people who feel the same way as you do. In the end, I think common sense will prevail over the opinions of, essentially, 3 people who nobody has ever heard of.

IMO, the problem is, many media outlets are attention hogs and drama queens. They want us to keep checking in for the latest 'earth shattering' news. Why? To get eyeballs on pages so the advertisers will pay their salaries. Do they care that they are wasting people's lives and inner peace, and IMO undermining the whole political system by distorting reality through airing every contrary opinion/grievance as though it deserves our full attention. NO, they do not care.

IMO, save your sanity. Most people who are actually in charge of running things are sensible people, they would not have been appointed to their jobs if they were not sensible people. It's the back seat drivers who do all the talking.

JMO

A quote from the actual story:

"“Lockdowns are not something that WHO recommended, but they needed to be used in a number of countries because the outbreaks were growing so quickly,” Van Kerkhove said. “But we’re hopeful countries will not need national lockdowns again.”

More detail on how this idea is being taken out of context in the pandemic of disinformation/misinformation that we are suffering through, from a reputable source:

WHO Warning About Covid-19 Coronavirus Lockdowns Is Taken Out Of Context

"the way to tackle the Covid-19 coronavirus is through layering various policies and interventions in a coordinated, organized way."

That is, don't do absolutely nothing and then panic when the virus overwhelmes the health care system, and then be forced to shut everything down. This has never been the recommendations of the WHO.

News

Here's another link too.

Update 12th Oct. "Dr. Tedros said health officials typically aim to achieve herd immunity by vaccination. "Herd immunity is achieved by protecting people from a virus, not by exposing them to it." He added that "allowing a dangerous virus that we don’t fully understand to run free is simply unethical."

"Posted 11 October: The World Health Organization’s special envoy on COVID-19 Dr. David Nabarro in an interview stated lockdowns are not helpful as the primary means to control COVID-19. He advocated a middle path which means holding the virus at bay whilst keeping economy and social life going........"

"This resonates with the "Great Barrington Declaration", a petition endorsed by numerous public health scientists and epidemiologists urging policymakers to take a focused approach called 'Focused Protection' instead of lockdown policies. They advocate promoting herd immunity while taking measure to protect the vulnerable groups."

IMO really strict lockdowns dealt with it in China but have not worked in the West. Italy had the strictest of lockdowns, as a really good example.

AJMOO.

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth's Mask-less Public Appearance Has Sparked Concern — InStyle

“It has been months since we've seen Queen Elizabeth outside of a Zoom call, but today, the 94-year-old monarch is finally back on the scene.

She joined her grandson, Prince William, to visit the top-secret Defence Science and Technology Laboratory at Porton Down, in Wiltshire, U.K. The Queen wore a pink jacket with a matching hat and black loafers. Noticeably missing from her (and William's) ensemble was a face mask.”

“According to ITV News royal editor Chris Ship, Buckingham Palace said that the Queen's tour was private and therefore a mask was not required. "Buckingham Palace says the Queen was not wearing a face mask (and nor was Prince William) after consulting her own medics and those who work at @dstlmod," he wrote on Twitter.”

“Ship also added that people at the facility all tested negative for the virus before her visit. “
Personally I think she should not do these visits at all. What are her advisors even thinking?

News

Here's another link too.

Update 12th Oct. "Dr. Tedros said health officials typically aim to achieve herd immunity by vaccination. "Herd immunity is achieved by protecting people from a virus, not by exposing them to it." He added that "allowing a dangerous virus that we don’t fully understand to run free is simply unethical."

"Posted 11 October: The World Health Organization’s special envoy on COVID-19 Dr. David Nabarro in an interview stated lockdowns are not helpful as the primary means to control COVID-19. He advocated a middle path which means holding the virus at bay whilst keeping economy and social life going........"

"This resonates with the "Great Barrington Declaration", a petition endorsed by numerous public health scientists and epidemiologists urging policymakers to take a focused approach called 'Focused Protection' instead of lockdown policies. They advocate promoting herd immunity while taking measure to protect the vulnerable groups."

IMO really strict lockdowns dealt with it in China but have not worked in the West. Italy had the strictest of lockdowns, as a really good example.

AJMOO.
I think what the WHO is trying to say is that lockdowns are not a solution to the problem; they are a symptom of the problem. The problem is the failure to control spread through the population using known, well established mechanisms until things become dire enough to require drastic measures.

Lockdowns are a consequence of inaction/insufficient action, not an answer.

Unfortunately, I am Type A and "a separate Canadian study found that among 95 patients critically ill with COVID-19, a higher proportion of those with blood Type A or AB had longer stays in intensive care than patients with Type O or B. Those ICU stays lasted 4.5 days longer on average."

Kicking that can down the road again: People with Type O blood may have lower risk of COVID-19 infection, severe illness

ETA: And just an OT aside with all the talk of chicken pox. I had a co-worker years ago who honestly thought it was "chicken pops". She also would set the margarines on her typewriter, lol.
back when they were big on the blood type I bought a blood type test (especially because my dim memory thinks i am AB) on amazon...then that theory was diffused, so i never did the test. Now, I have to go dig up where I stuck the test.
oy vey.

:) Heh! The chicken contact wouldn't protect you from chicken pox. Perhaps you were asymptomatic. Cow pox, which is what you might be thinking of, is super rare since the 18th century when it was used in the vaccine against small pox.

In any case, if an older adult hasn't had a shingles vaccine, at it might be a good time to do it asap.
Well we did have a milking herd too. :-)

When we wonder why people in some areas are so uninformed about Covid consider what they are being told. In Broken Arrow, OK (population 109,000) for instance they are being told by the Tulsa Health Department that the reason for wearing a mask is: to prevent positive asymptomatic COVID-19 individuals from spreading the virus if they were to sneeze, cough or touch their face.
Then they are shown this video:
Leaving the impression that masks are for positive asymptomatic people. The mask is worthless of course. No one could wear that!
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) information | City of Broken Arrow
Omg, I agree, a bad example of a mask. That thing is so thick, I couldn’t wear it, and it’s not even fully covering her nose. Rubber bands can break very easily too. I personally wear a mask to protect myself from others, being full aware it’s not full protection, but at least some. I know I don’t have the virus, (I just do)... so no reason for me to think I’m going to spread it to others.

Chicken pops and margarine. :-) I am A+.

We must not have been reading the same article. The crime against humanity is not about pursuing a vaccine, but against leaving a vulnerable population exposed to a deadly virus.

Crime against humanity means [...] acts when committed as part of a widespread or systematic attack directed against any civilian population, with knowledge of the attack: Inhumane acts intentionally causing great suffering, or serious injury to body or to mental or physical health.

United Nations Office on Genocide Prevention and the Responsibility to Protect

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it makes sense to me to protect the most vulnerable and allow those who are the healthiest to go about their lives in the hope that they become infected but not fall ill, and then they would contribute to the herd immunity.

Of course I'm not a virologist, but it just makes sense to me.

The actual declaration is here a whole lot of scientists have signed in support of it.

Great Barrington Declaration – An open letter and declaration from public health academics and professionals

I think what the WHO is trying to say is that lockdowns are not a solution to the problem; they are a symptom of the problem. The problem is the failure to control spread through the population using known, well established mechanisms until things become dire enough to require drastic measures.

Lockdowns are a consequence of inaction/insufficient action, not an answer.
I was showing the seemingly 3 different views there as an example not as an answer. I don't know the answer but lockdowns are still being used here in the UK with grandparents unable to see their grandkids again in a lot of situations.

:(
Coronavirus: 65% of Ohioans living in red counties, DeWine says
Ohio broke the state record for daily coronavirus cases for the second day in a row with 2,178. It is also the second straight day that the state has reported more than 2,000 new cases in 24 hours.

“We’ve gone up dramatically in a relatively short time,” DeWine said. In mid to late September, the state was averaging less than 1,000 cases reported each day.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it makes sense to me to protect the most vulnerable and allow those who are the healthiest to go about their lives in the hope that they become infected but not fall ill, and then they would contribute to the herd immunity.

Of course I'm not a virologist, but it just makes sense to me.

The actual declaration is here a whole lot of scientists have signed in support of it.

Great Barrington Declaration – An open letter and declaration from public health academics and professionals
My view regarding the students at Uni is let them socialize in their halls as they seem to be doing that anyway and by the time they head home for Christmas they would be clear of it.

My view regarding the students at Uni is let them socialize in their halls as they seem to be doing that anyway and by the time they head home for Christmas they would be clear of it.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea. It would allow them to develop herd immunity while the vulnerable populations were protected. When herd immunity is reached, everyone would be safer, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoftyGoalGirl