Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Donald Trump raises fears in latest coronavirus test admission

Donald Trump’s has raised fears he’s still contagious with coronavirus ahead of a massive public rally he has planned.

The US President has revealed he was tested for the coronavirus on Friday and while he did not know the exact results, he was “either the bottom of the scale or free” of the infection.

He expected to be tested again on Saturday.

But critics have been quick to react, saying they weren’t aware there was a “scale” for the virus, and questioning whether he’s contagious.

There is a way to determine a titer of LIVE viruses particles, (you make 10-fold dilutions of a sample and culture in cell lines such as VERO), and perhaps that is what he has had done? After all, I would think that POTUS would have the best diagnostics that others don't have access to. MOO
Virus isolation of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) for diagnostic and research purposes

It caught my attention too that he said that about a “scale” on the test. I’m sure you’re either positive or negative. I doubt he’s talking about being checked for antibodies, is he? If he’s been tested and is negative, I’m sure his doctor would be letting everyone know. So in this case I would say “No news is bad news.”

See above post of PCR vs. titer/culture to have a scale with LIVE virus (that titer can ALSO be done with PCR, but is picking up DEAD virions)

As to being tested for antibodies, POTUS doc released on Monday that he had IgG antibodies, (expected as that is what Regeneron is!) but no mention of IgM antibodies in the press release.. which is the FIRST type of antibodies that is produced by the body naturally. I found his lack of IgM mention interesting in the press release and mentioned such at the time in the threads.

According to this article it looks like the PCR test could measure viral load, but as I read this (sleepily), I’m not sure that labs would give that information to the President’s doctors or if this is just theoretical. But either way, results should be available that say whether the President is negative or positive. If it’s a scale as this article seems to imply, it would be a good opportunity for his doctor to educate the public about this new way of measuring...

The PCR test amplifies genetic matter from the virus in cycles; the fewer cycles required, the greater the amount of virus, or viral load, in the sample. The greater the viral load, the more likely the patient is to be contagious. This number of amplification cycles needed to find the virus, called the cycle threshold, is never included in the results sent to doctors and coronavirus patients, although it could tell them how infectious the patients are.

Standard Covid-19 tests may not give actual scale of infection in patients

Dr. Seheult has given quite a few videos on such research to support having cheap (less than $3 each.. down to $1 each) in home tests to put in the mix with PCR.

Here are short sweet ones with Dr. Mina who has been covering the tests on Medcram..
Paper Strip Tests for COVID-19: Should We Wait Until They Rival PCR Tests? Dr. Mina Responds
Self Testing for COVID 19 with Rapid Antigen Tests: Dr. Mina Q/A

Coronavirus Hit the U.S. Long Before We Knew
Months before travel bans and lockdowns, Americans were transmitting the virus across the country
By Rob Barry, Joel Eastwood and Paul Overberg
Published Oct. 8, 2020 at 11:30 a.m. ET

The Wall Street Journal interviewed disease detectives and reviewed hundreds of pages of new research to piece together how the coronavirus infiltrated the wealthiest nation on earth. The latest genetic, epidemiological and computational research suggests it was spreading inside the country before anyone started looking.

How did this happen?

Jan. 2, 2020
Retrospective testing in Ohio found that five women and a man who had developed Covid-like symptoms in early January had antibodies for the virus, qualifying as "probable" infections. They lived at opposite corners of the state, up to 200 miles apart. Though the findings aren't conclusive, modeling experts say they are consistent with the speed of the pandemic's later spread.

@margarita25 and others on the threads early on were following in real time the strains and phylogenic pathogen evolution at Nextstrain.

It's very crowded now the visual and takes drilling down into the global repository that has gene sequenced over 5,139 samples. Nextstrain ncov/global?c=region but if you want to drill down, the data is there in many visual formats.

nextstrain.JPG

ETA: fixing broken link to global view screen shot to
auspice

Well, he also said this, which I assume he said in jest, so I’ll wait for the doctors to say he’s immune...:D

“I’m back because I am a perfect physical specimen and I’m extremely young. And so I’m lucky in that way,” he said on Fox Business Thursday.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/08/trump-i-beat-covid-19-because-im-a-perfect-physical-specimen/

Yeah, he's "technically" immune at this MOMENT IN TIME because he was pumped full of Regeneron antibodies. And presence of antibodies = immune. MOO. Assumption is that his cells also should have been sensitized and his own immunity kicked in also to gear up with inate (T cells) and neutralizing (B cell antibodies). But since the doc didn't state IgM antibodies yet.. we don't know if he has such... but the assumption is by this date.. he should now have IgM antibodies being produced (which comes before IgG production by his body cells)

MOO

google defintion: im·mu·ni·ty
/iˈmyo͞onədē/

noun
noun: immunity
the ability of an organism to resist a particular infection or toxin by the action of specific antibodies or sensitized white blood cells.

:confused:
10,000 mink are dead in Covid-19 outbreaks at US fur farms after virus believed spread by humans

10,000 mink are dead in Covid-19 outbreaks at US fur farms after virus believed spread by humans
More at link
CNN) — Thousands of mink have died at fur farms in Utah and Wisconsin after a series of coronavirus outbreaks.

In Utah, ranchers have lost at least 8,000 mink to Covid-19 among the animals known for their silky, luxurious pelts.

The virus first appeared in the creatures in August, shortly after farmworkers fell ill in July, according to Dr. Dean Taylor, State Veterinarian of Utah. Initial research shows the virus was transmitted from humans to animals, and so far has not seen any cases of the opposite.

“Everything we’ve looked at here in Utah suggests its gone from the humans to the animals,” Taylor told CNN. “It feels like a unidirectional path,” he said, adding that testing is still underway. Utah’s was the first outbreak among mink in the United States.

On Friday, Kevin Hoffman, a spokesperson at the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection, told CNN 2,000 mink have died from the coronavirus at a Wisconsin farm as well. Officials have quarantined the farm, Hoffman said in a release, meaning no animals or animal products may leave the Taylor County premises.

Dr. Keith Paulson with the UW-Madison Veterinary School Diagnostic Laboratory told CNN affiliate WISN that he noted “significant mortality in the mink” and that three workers there had recovered from the virus after displaying “mild to moderate clinical signs.”

Other cases have been detected in the Netherlands, Spain and Denmark, according to the US Department of Agriculture.

President Trump says the treatment he received will be provided free to everyone. Is he talking about the drugs only, or the entire course of treatment? Hospital stay, labs, imaging, doctor fees, transportation? What's the plan, here? Is it published anywhere yet?

Experts say Trump's claim to have been "cured" of COVID-19 is absurd
MOO The OP @mickey2942 was not referring to Remdesivir which is mentioned as the drug (common now for folks getting these days MOO), but the OP was talking about the "special cocktail" that included Regeneron.

"Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who has been hospitalized for COVID-19 for nearly a week, told CNN that doctors have prescribed him remdesivir, an anti-viral drug that President Donald Trump took while he was recently hospitalized with the coronavirus."

And the world is running out of Remdesivir.... most is coming to the US.

More at link
CNN) — Thousands of mink have died at fur farms in Utah and Wisconsin after a series of coronavirus outbreaks.

In Utah, ranchers have lost at least 8,000 mink to Covid-19 among the animals known for their silky, luxurious pelts.

The virus first appeared in the creatures in August, shortly after farmworkers fell ill in July, according to Dr. Dean Taylor, State Veterinarian of Utah. Initial research shows the virus was transmitted from humans to animals, and so far has not seen any cases of the opposite.

“Everything we’ve looked at here in Utah suggests its gone from the humans to the animals,” Taylor told CNN. “It feels like a unidirectional path,” he said, adding that testing is still underway. Utah’s was the first outbreak among mink in the United States.

On Friday, Kevin Hoffman, a spokesperson at the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection, told CNN 2,000 mink have died from the coronavirus at a Wisconsin farm as well. Officials have quarantined the farm, Hoffman said in a release, meaning no animals or animal products may leave the Taylor County premises.

Dr. Keith Paulson with the UW-Madison Veterinary School Diagnostic Laboratory told CNN affiliate WISN that he noted “significant mortality in the mink” and that three workers there had recovered from the virus after displaying “mild to moderate clinical signs.”

Other cases have been detected in the Netherlands, Spain and Denmark, according to the US Department of Agriculture.

Yeah, it originally was reported/discovered in April in the Netherlands as they are the largest area for mink breeding

Two Dutch Mink Farms Infected With Coronavirus
April 26, 2020

Dutch Minks Contract COVID-19 — And Appear To Infect Humans
June 25, 20203:03 PM ET

It's part of an emerging pattern of animals getting infected with the novel coronavirus with a new concern: The minks are thought to have passed the disease back to humans. Since the discovery, more than 500,000 minks have been culled on fur farms in the Netherlands over worries that their mink populations could spread the virus among humans.

Emergency Use Authorization

There have been 30 EUA's issued in Sept and 14 already in October. The link above should take you to the full list. Scroll right down for the list that shows 10 items. Change it to view 50. Each item can be clicked on to view individually.

More at link

A third state, Michigan, confirmed that mink there had tested positive too.

At least 12,000 mink dead from coronavirus as the virus spreads among fur farms in Utah and Wisconsin

That would be a contact tracing nightmare! But on a positive note, would picking up the virus a little at a time cause immunity rather than symptoms? I’m interested in @10ofRods thoughts on this. It’s way above my pay grade. :D

yes.... the articles discussing these newer issues, though valuable, were too much for me on this Saturday am...have to get out to work in my gardens!!!
Looking forward to @10ofRods as usual!

Nine people who attended Trump rally in Minnesota contracted coronavirus

Nine people who attended a campaign rally for Trump in Bemidji, Minn. last month have tested positive for the coronavirus.

Health officials confirmed to MPR News that of the nine who contracted COVID-19, two have been hospitalized, one of whom required intensive care.

"It is not immediately clear that the people contracted the virus at the rally.

The Minnesota Department of Health did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Hill."

First documented cases in the US were around Aug 17th 2020 in Utah.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...s-on-utah-farms-test-positive-for-coronavirus

While it is the first time a mink has been found to have the virus in the U.S., minks have been confirmed to have the virus in the Netherlands, Spain and Denmark. This led to massive cullings of the animals to stop the spread of the virus.

More than 1.1 million minks have been culled on Dutch farms, according to the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority. The outbreak caused the Netherlands to shut down the industry years ahead of its existing plan to end it in 2024.

ETA: Could this be a driving force for the US to shut down the industry as the only reason for breeding is to kill for the pelts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove