Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Viral clip shows Biden lowering his mask to cough in his hand

Biden, who sported a mask and his iconic aviators at a voter drive-in event, had taken a moment to catch his breath while speaking to supporters.

However, the Democratic nominee lowered his mask and coughed into his hand before covering his face again.

Viral clip shows Biden lowering his mask to cough in his hand
If anyone cared to video me, they could get a couple of clips a week of me inadvertently doing something "covid stupid." Even those of us who take this very seriously and take precautions 99% of the time screw up out of habit. I would list all of last week's accidental screw ups but I don't want to bore you.

It certainly is possible that specific vocal sounds emit more particles than others. The volume of a singer or speaker is also very significant. The louder one speaks or sings, the more particles are emitted.

Aerosol emission and superemission during human speech increase with voice loudness | Scientific Reports

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15459620590918466

Will choirs survive this pandemic?

Thank you!

I sure hope choirs survive. DH and I sing in two groups, a community chorus and a church choir. We may be old and high risk for Covid but we're not ready to give up choral singing forever! Both groups are doing Zoom rehearsals, which are not at all satisfying compared to regular ones.

Our church choir has been having recording sessions in a parking deck. We spread out and are under a roof so that helps acoustically. And we sing wearing masks. The choir recordings (made with phones) are added to the recorded worship services aired on Sunday morning for online viewing.

We are thinking ahead to cold weather and hope to be able to move the recording sessions into the large church sanctuary. We would spread out and wear our masks, of course. Our choir is usually 18-24 people, so not huge. That would be great because we could have organ, piano, or other accompaniment.

If anyone cared to video me, they could get a couple of clips a week of me inadvertently doing something "covid stupid." Even those of us who take this very seriously and take precautions 99% of the time screw up out of habit. I would list all of last week's accidental screw ups but I don't want to bore you.

yep my transgressions include touching face/adjusting mask/being closer than 6 ft./going in for a hug - sigh ...

In a a bit over a week's time the adult education classes I go to, U3A, will be restarting.
It seems like forever since we last had a class, in early March. There went a huge chunk of my social life.
Class size is limited and the club where some of the classes are held is taking it all very seriously.

I am looking forward to it, but apart from just going out for coffee with a friend, it will be my first time in a very long time among a group of people.

It is nice feeling like it's one more step towards normal, but I worry because there are still cases in New South Wales, though none in my town since April, and no deaths. I worry that it only takes one person visiting a hot spot or coming from there and we're all restricted again.

I'm going to continue to take all precautions myself no matter how safe I feel the venue is.

So I'm sitting here at my computer crying and praying. My son is in the ER with Afib and I can't go in and see him because of Covid. My grandkids are home worrying and I can't be with them because of Covid. I hate this. Please pray.

I'm praying. I hope he will be okay and you can let us know how he's doing.

One thing about this is that despite sending out about 2,000 invitiations only a few hundred showed up for the event. Many of those few hundred already being in town for the other event.
This could help to reduce the spread that may very well happen after an event like this. IMO
Fingers crossed.

"One White House official said that about 2,000 invitations had been sent out. But the crowd on Saturday was made up of a few hundred attendees, many of whom were in town for a gathering of the so-called Blexit movement"

Trump Makes First Public Appearance Since Leaving Walter Reed
(If you sign up for a free account you will be able to access the article - sorry to keep repeating this, I just don't want people to forget and think the article is strictly paywalled)

Yes, my fingers are crossed that this doesn't turn out to be another 'super spreader' event. Sadly it seems that there was no social distancing enforced, it looks like they were packed in like sardines.

NC DHHS COVID-19: SlowCOVIDNC

“It’s easy. All you have to do is download SlowCOVIDNC and you can help slow the spread of COVID-19.

Download the SlowCOVIDNC Exposure Notification app, enable your Bluetooth and Exposure Notification settings, and be notified if you have been in close contact with someone who has shared a positive COVID-19 test result in the app.

Once you opt-in to the notification system, you can also anonymously share a positive COVID-19 test result in the app. SlowCOVIDNC protects your identity and privacy while empowering you to protect yourself, your family, and your community.”

No, it's not. And I was just reading in another article that - on Friday - the US had the highest numbers of cases since mid-July.

And that new cases are rising in 33 states.

On Thursday, White House coronavirus advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci said he’s “not comfortable” with the level of U.S. coronavirus cases, noting that it could become more difficult to deal with the virus as people increasingly move indoors during the colder months.
U.S. sees highest number of new coronavirus cases in nearly two months

Last edited:
One thing about this is that despite sending out about 2,000 invitiations only a few hundred showed up for the event. Many of those few hundred already being in town for the other event.
This could help to reduce the spread that may very well happen after an event like this. IMO
Fingers crossed.

"One White House official said that about 2,000 invitations had been sent out. But the crowd on Saturday was made up of a few hundred attendees, many of whom were in town for a gathering of the so-called Blexit movement"

Trump Makes First Public Appearance Since Leaving Walter Reed
(If you sign up for a free account you will be able to access the article - sorry to keep repeating this, I just don't want people to forget and think the article is strictly paywalled)

Agreed - could have been much worse.

No, it isn't. France, Germany, Italy, Czech Republic, Russia, Switzerland and many others in Europe are all reporting the same not good news.

It really is going to be at least another year or two before we get a handle on this, isn't it?

Vaccine, or race towards herd immunity. Meanwhile, we are hunkering down for a long winter, at home. We used to travel to Vegas a few times, to have some warm weather. Not going to be doing that this year.

No, it isn't. France, Germany, Italy, Czech Republic, Russia, Switzerland and many others in Europe are all reporting the same not good news.

It really is going to be at least another year or two before we get a handle on this, isn't it?

I feel really bad for my kids and well all the kids out there really. This is just such a disruption to the lives of children. I'm old and introverted I can handle it. I used to hate to go anywhere anyway. But I could just cry at the idea of another year of two of this and the constant weighing of risks.

Everyone around us is expecting most families to resume all these activities and well this is the result. This is exactly the result. If we don't make sacrifices and limit social interactions then this will continue to spread and overwhelm the healthcare system and most of us aren't going to get top of the line admit to the hospital as a precaution treatment.

So I'm sitting here at my computer crying and praying. My son is in the ER with Afib and I can't go in and see him because of Covid. My grandkids are home worrying and I can't be with them because of Covid. I hate this. Please pray.
I will pray. If it helps to know, I was hospitalized with Afib for 6 days after surgery. The doctors just waited me out, but one said, "Hey. There are people who live okay with it." Mine eventually stopped, did not return. But, I am sure your son's condition is not good. I will pray.

Vaccine, or race towards herd immunity. Meanwhile, we are hunkering down for a long winter, at home. We used to travel to Vegas a few times, to have some warm weather. Not going to be doing that this year.
I think herd immunity is a pipe dream. I see no valid scientific data as of yet that shows this coronavirus to be any different than the hundreds of others - immunity for 4-6 months, maybe a year. Endless numbers of recycled hosts, just like the common cold coronas. More data should start coming in early 2021 when people start getting reinfected. Maybe it won't be as bad as the first time? That would certainly help.

We need some good vaccines. And people will likely have to get them once a year or so. IMO

We will be shoveling snow rather than going to Texas. Virus too high there, plus my doctor is here, and my health care info is here. Gotta be careful.

What COVID-19 Reinfection Means for Vaccines

Why reinfection occurs so consistently across the coronavirus family, we don’t know. But what has become increasingly clear is that the defenses we mount against the virus during and after primary infection seem to fade relatively quickly—a disappearing act that doesn’t bode well for our prospects of achieving so-called herd immunity over a longer period of time. I’ve written before that, as a strategy, counting on herd immunity is reckless and ineffective. Immunity, we must remember, isn’t a switch the body can flip on and off at will. It consists of a complex series of reactions and interactions that are difficult to observe and detangle. One set of mechanisms is innate and at work constantly, irrespective of the threat at hand. Another is adaptive, chemically generated at the moment of encounter to attack a specific intruder in specific ways.

It is the case for many viruses, including those that cause most childhood diseases, that reasonably high levels of IgG antibodies persist for many years. This is not the case for human coronaviruses.

I feel really bad for my kids and well all the kids out there really. This is just such a disruption to the lives of children. I'm old and introverted I can handle it. I used to hate to go anywhere anyway. But I could just cry at the idea of another year of two of this and the constant weighing of risks.

Everyone around us is expecting most families to resume all these activities and well this is the result. This is exactly the result. If we don't make sacrifices and limit social interactions then this will continue to spread and overwhelm the healthcare system and most of us aren't going to get top of the line admit to the hospital as a precaution treatment.

UNICEF posted on FB today four ways to support a teen through covid. I will provide the header for each of these four ways, but the linked article goes into more depth and guidance on how to do this.
IMO much of it could be applicable for most ages of children, not necessarily just teens.

Encourage them to share their feelings
Take the time to support them
Work through conflict together
Care for yourself

"World Mental Health Day is a reminder that sometimes it can be difficult to know what to say and do when you or your loved ones are going through a hard time.
Here are four tips on how parents can support their teenager’s mental health during COVID-19."
UNICEF

This is the link to the referenced article:
Four things you can do to support your teen’s mental health

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics