Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #85

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
North Carolina rally: 2 people who attended Trump's rally have tested positive for coronavirus - CNNPolitics

“The department stressed that the cases are "not thought to be an indication of spread from the rally at this time, but rather two independent cases among individuals who were in attendance." The event took place at Gaston Municipal Airport on October 21.“

[...]

“Health officials said that due to the number in attendance last week they are unable to properly contact trace those who may have been exposed.”

—-

More very maskless rallies / Record covid surges / Inside covid unit in hotspot Billings, Montana / PPE million dollar theft / Gloves shortage / 751,000 new jobless claims / New shortage fears of essential supplies and goods - second wave of stockpiling on the rise / How to make it a safe Halloween / Halloween superspreader risks

*observation: so many of the nurses on all these news broadcasts are crying. :(

Last edited:
The Government has ordered Air New Zealand to put a freeze on all international bookings to New Zealand as projections show the country’s Covid-19 quarantine facilities nearing capacity.

An Air New Zealand spokeswoman told Stuff it was instructed by the Government on Wednesday evening to put a hold on new bookings on international services until Tuesday to help ensure there was space available in quarantine accommodation for inbound passengers for the required 14-day period.

Airlines will not allow travellers to board a New Zealand-bound flight unless they have a voucher.

Air New Zealand ordered to freeze international bookings as Kiwis flock home for Christmas

Tens of thousands of Parisians last night caused massive traffic jams in a desperate attempt to flee the French capital ahead of the start of Emmanuel Macron's new national shutdown.

The night air was filled with the sound of blaring car horns while social media users estimated that Parisians had created 'hundreds of miles' of gridlock to escape to their second homes in the country.

Meanwhile French people emptied supermarkets in a repeat of the panic-buying that swept Europe in March as Parisians and other city dwellers prepared for a month in confinement.

Shoppers stocked up on pasta and toilet roll while people queued outside hairdressers for a final trim.

xx2.JPG

Coronavirus France: Gridlock as people flee Paris before lockdown | Daily Mail Online

''The researchers acknowledged, however, that increased caseloads could not be definitely linked to the rallies''

Good of them to clarify that.

ND has one of the highest # of cases per 100k right now and there haven't been any rallies there.

I don't believe the researchers are suggesting that the rallies have led to all virus spreads throughout the US. Just that the rallies have contributed to spreads in the areas in which they have been held.

North Dakota's infectious state is considered to be for other reasons.
- never fully closed down
- governor resisting issuing a stay-at-home order
- the virus was allowed to spread freely through bars, restaurants, parties, celebrations, rodeos, and other large gatherings
- some experts blame the Sturgis motorcycle rally for spread throughout the region (Upper Midwest)
- no mask mandate
- among the lowest rates of mask wearing in the US
- much of the public never saw the coronavirus as a major threat to the Dakotas, leading to less adherence to precautions

Why North and South Dakota are suffering the worst Covid-19 epidemics in the US

Last edited:
North Carolina rally: 2 people who attended Trump's rally have tested positive for coronavirus - CNNPolitics

“The department stressed that the cases are "not thought to be an indication of spread from the rally at this time, but rather two independent cases among individuals who were in attendance." The event took place at Gaston Municipal Airport on October 21.“

[...]

“Health officials said that due to the number in attendance last week they are unable to properly contact trace those who may have been exposed.”

—-

More very maskless rallies / Record covid surges / Inside covid unit in hotspot Billings, Montana / PPE million dollar theft / Gloves shortage / 751,000 new jobless claims / New shortage fears of essential supplies and goods - second wave of stockpiling on the rise / How to make it a safe Halloween / Halloween superspreader risks

*observation: so many of the nurses on all these news broadcasts are crying. :(

In normal times, the focus would be on the nurses who are crying. Instead, the focus is on rally goers who are adding to the public health crisis by flaunting the public health recommendations. In a couple of weeks, when, hopefully, the rallies are over, will there be a collective shake of the head as people reawaken and begin to wonder how things got so bad?

Can someone help me out? I used to check the covid19 health data page and I thought that was where they showed the actual raw numbers per state of how many icu beds were in use and how many were available. Now I'm only seeing graphs. Am I looking at the wrong site, or am I just not looking at the right place on the site to get those numbers?

Tens of thousands of Parisians last night caused massive traffic jams in a desperate attempt to flee the French capital ahead of the start of Emmanuel Macron's new national shutdown.

The night air was filled with the sound of blaring car horns while social media users estimated that Parisians had created 'hundreds of miles' of gridlock to escape to their second homes in the country.

Meanwhile French people emptied supermarkets in a repeat of the panic-buying that swept Europe in March as Parisians and other city dwellers prepared for a month in confinement.

Shoppers stocked up on pasta and toilet roll while people queued outside hairdressers for a final trim.

View attachment 269830

Coronavirus France: Gridlock as people flee Paris before lockdown | Daily Mail Online

Well, I will say that a lesson was learned about haircuts from the first shut down. :p:D

1 boy likely responsible for more than 100 cases at retreat: CDC

A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) case study released Thursday found that one ninth grade boy, who tested PCR negative before traveling, likely spread COVID-19 to over 100 people at a boys’ overnight summer school retreat in Wisconsin.

Among the 152 high school aged boys, counselors and staff members, there were 118 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 38 probable cases, the CDC said.

The tightly packed students, in session from July 2 to Aug. 11, didn’t wear masks and shared dorms with beds close together.

The ninth grade boy who likely set off the spread had a negative PCR test less than a week before the retreat, but he developed symptoms the day after arriving, according to the CDC. A family member of the boy tested positive while he was at the retreat.

Coronavirus live updates: One boy likely responsible for over 100 cases at retreat: CDC - WKKG

Can someone help me out? I used to check the covid19 health data page and I thought that was where they showed the actual raw numbers per state of how many icu beds were in use and how many were available. Now I'm only seeing graphs. Am I looking at the wrong site, or am I just not looking at the right place on the site to get those numbers?

Are you looking at IHME? Some states have graphs for ICU beds and some don't. I'm not sure they had numbers other than floating your cursor you could see the numbers?

ETA: Hmmmm, doesn't explain the change COVID-19 model FAQs

ETA2: Some great IHME related links and reads while I was looking for the above information

1. Great information (including stats on masks and how they input 40% reduction on data if masks are used... for anyone wanting information on such) Modeling COVID-19 scenarios for the United States | Nature Medicine
  2. This is the mobility tracker and I found very interesting. It shows % increases in park visitations etc. and is drilled down on a county level in the US COVID-19 Community Mobility Report
  3. More detailed info on modeling https://static-content.springer.com/esm/art:10.1038/s41591-020-1132-9/MediaObjects/41591_2020_1132_MOESM1_ESM.pdf
  4. Looking back at old forecasts, they projected more than 200,000 by November 1 on July 7th (We crossed 200,000 on September 22nd)
    July 7, 2020
    New IHME Forecasts Show More Than 200,000 US Deaths by November 1
    News Release
    In its first projections of COVID-19 deaths out to November 1, the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington is forecasting more than 200,000 deaths in the United States.
  5. And it turned out to be 206,000.........
    June 24, 2020
    New IHME COVID-19 Model Projects Nearly 180,000 US Deaths
    News Release
    In its first projections comparing different actions to control COVID-19 transmission, the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington is forecasting nearly 180,000 in the United States will die by October 1.

Last edited:
That’s why I said a proper nose wire. This is what I use inside the masks I make. Note that you can get them with adhesive on them so you can simply “glue” them on top of a surgical mask. I make my masks with a channel so it can be inserted and then removed for washing. These are more than a “wire”, really. Cheap enough for you to try.
https://www.amazon.com/Without-Adhesive-Sewable-Washable-Handmade/dp/B08BJRVX7J

Thanks! I just placed my order! That wire looks a lot better and I think I'll try my hand a making a mask with a channel for the wire as well. Anything to be able to see clearly through my glasses again.

---respectfully snipped for focus --

From the post:

"Among the 152 high school aged boys, counselors and staff members, there were 118 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 38 probable cases, the CDC said."

So, out of 152 people, 156 (118 plus 38) were either infected or thought to be infected. LOL

I wonder what the real numbers are.

Way too many at any rate. Large gatherings should be discouraged right now.

So, out of 152 people, 156 (118 plus 38) were either infected or thought to be infected. LOL

I wonder what the real numbers are.

Way too many at any rate. Large gatherings should be discouraged right now.

I guess it could mean there were 152 high school aged boys. With the counselors and staff being over and above that number. If so, it was not explained very well.

Didn’t....wear.... masks....:rolleyes:
I can see how this is going to go.
Maybe if this raging bs would stop....
We could achieve and sustain some sort of forward progress. Damn.

1 boy likely responsible for more than 100 cases at retreat: CDC

A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) case study released Thursday found that one ninth grade boy, who tested PCR negative before traveling, likely spread COVID-19 to over 100 people at a boys’ overnight summer school retreat in Wisconsin.

Among the 152 high school aged boys, counselors and staff members, there were 118 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 38 probable cases, the CDC said.

The tightly packed students, in session from July 2 to Aug. 11, didn’t wear masks and shared dorms with beds close together.

The ninth grade boy who likely set off the spread had a negative PCR test less than a week before the retreat, but he developed symptoms the day after arriving, according to the CDC. A family member of the boy tested positive while he was at the retreat.

Coronavirus live updates: One boy likely responsible for over 100 cases at retreat: CDC - WKKG

As virus surges, Trump rallies keep packing in thousands

“WASHINGTON (AP) — There are no crowds at Disneyland, still shut down by the coronavirus. Fewer fans attended the World Series this year than at any time in the past century. Big concerts are canceled.

But it’s a different story in Trumpland. Thousands of President Donald Trump’s supporters regularly cram together at campaign rallies around the country — masks optional and social distancing frowned upon.

Trump rallies are among the nation’s biggest events being held in defiance of crowd restrictions designed to stop the virus from spreading. This at a time when public health experts are advising people to think twice even about inviting many guests for Thanksgiving dinner.

“It doesn’t matter who you are or where you are, when you have congregate settings where people are crowded together and virtually no one is wearing a mask, that’s a perfect setup to have an outbreak of acquisition and transmissibility,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, recently told Yahoo News. “It’s a public health and scientific fact.”“

[...]

“Trump held a rally Sept. 25 in Newport News, Virginia, even though public health officials warned that it would violate Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam’s executive order generally banning gatherings of more than 250 people.

Zach Nayer, a resident at Riverside Regional Medical Center in Newport News, and a colleague later compiled county data on new coronavirus cases at Trump rally sites from late June to the Newport News event. They reviewed the number of cases for the 14 days before and after each event and published their findings on the health news site STAT.

They found that spikes in COVID-19 cases occurred in seven of the 14 cities and townships where rallies were held: Tulsa, Oklahoma; Phoenix; Old Forge, Pennsylvania; Bemidji and Mankato in Minnesota; and Oshkosh and Weston, Wisconsin.

The researchers acknowledged, however, that increased caseloads could not be definitely linked to the rallies.“

- much more at link
Trying to figure out WHY people are attending Trump rallies. Most who go are already Trump supporters so why are they putting their health on the line to attend?

If we did adequate tracing this could be proved or disproved. I guess the virus just stays at the door of schools? Our local public schools were openly pleading last week with the parents to have their children wear masks because mask usage was declining. And a local highschool shut down entirely this week for 2 weeks due to so much rampant covid.

I have small children. Thinking they will be super clean and wear their masks consistently for weeks and months on end and not be vectors of disease seems pretty ludicrous to me.

presumably they are now doing as much contact tracing as possible. every school district here decided whether to be virtual, hybrid or in person. some have flipped to more or all virtual if there have been cases. they also shut down and clean. the stats and contract tracing show most outbreaks were not from the school environment. where I live the younger kids are "hybrid" and go for half days- I think every other week- that allows social distancing- and divides the school population into two separate groups. agree that smaller kids take off masks... have seen them in stores wriggling out of them. It is a lot to ask them to understand the whole thing.

I don't believe the researchers are suggesting that the rallies have led to all virus spreads throughout the US. Just that the rallies have contributed to spreads in the areas in which they have been held.

North Dakota's infectious state is considered to be for other reasons.
- never fully closed down
- governor resisting issuing a stay-at-home order
- the virus was allowed to spread freely through bars, restaurants, parties, celebrations, rodeos, and other large gatherings
- some experts blame the Sturgis motorcycle rally for spread throughout the region (Upper Midwest)
- no mask mandate
- among the lowest rates of mask wearing in the US
- much of the public never saw the coronavirus as a major threat to the Dakotas, leading to less adherence to precautions

Why North and South Dakota are suffering the worst Covid-19 epidemics in the US
Dakotas are in a learning stage. A bit late.

I'm not sure who brought up the fogging glasses problem but I found these tips helpful. I use the tissue method (using tissue with lotion infused so it doesn't irritate the bridge of my nose) and the surgical tape method at work.
Yikes! I just scrolled by kind of fast and thought I glimpsed Jodi Arias wearing a mask. :Scary:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomenAmaterasu