Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #87

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
U.S. reports record 153,400 new Covid cases as Dr. Fauci urges Americans to be careful: 'It is not futile'

“The United States reported another record one-day spike in Covid-19 cases on Thursday as the outbreak grows more severe and overwhelms some hospitals.

The country reported more than 153,400 new cases on Thursday, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. That’s the third-straight record one-day spike in cases in the U.S and has pushed the seven-day average of new cases over 131,400, up more than 32% compared with a week ago, according to a CNBC analysis of Hopkins data.

It’s not just cases. There are currently more than 67,000 people hospitalized with Covid-19 across the country, more than at any other point during the pandemic, according to data from the COVID Tracking Project, which is run by journalists at The Atlantic. The number of people dying every day from the disease is ticking upward as well.”

106796078-1605274892617-20201113_us_new_cases_curve_updated.png

—-

Premarket stocks: The post-Covid economy will leave some workers behind - CNN

“"Even after the unemployment rate goes down and there's a vaccine, there's going to be a probably substantial group of workers who are going to need support as they're finding their way in the post-pandemic economy," Powell said.“

Coronavirus update: Latest world news for November 13

“Dr. Vivek Murthy told the ABC's “Good Morning America” on Friday that restrictions would be tightened or loosened depending on the local situation. The approach is one that several European countries had taken before implementing nationwide lockdowns.

“Right now, the way we should be thinking about this is more like a series of restrictions that we dial up or down depending on how bad [a] spread is taking place in a specific region,” Murthy said.

He gave New York City as an example, where interventions are being targeted down to the ZIP code.

“We’re not in a place where we’re saying shut the whole country down,” he said. “We’ve got to be more targeted.”

If this doesn’t happen, Murthy said, people will become more fatigued, schools won’t be open to children and the economy will be hit harder.

“So, we’ve got to follow science, but we’ve got to also be more precise than we were in the spring,” he said.”

Last edited:
Last edited:
German health authorities say they plan to speak to the studio where the latest Matrix film was shot after a party allegedly attended by the Hollywood actor Keanu Reeves was held to mark the end of filming, despite coronavirus restrictions.

About 200 people were at the party disguised as a film shoot, with the guests invited to come as extras in an apparent attempt to bypass health regulations, according to the German tabloid Bild.

Parties of up to 50 people are allowed in Berlin and the neighbouring state of Brandenburg, where the party reportedly took place at the Babelsberg film studios, west of the German capital. But they have to be registered in advance along with the submission of a “hygiene concept” that has to be approved by authorities. Guests have to abide by distancing rules, and to wear a mask when not eating and drinking.

A 39-year-old female guest at the party told Bild: “The mood was exuberant. Everyone was given a corona PCR test in advance. Everyone needed to come wearing a mask but many people didn’t wear them as the party wore on.”

Matrix party ‘disguised as film shoot’ to bypass German Covid rules

I remembering wondering whether the virus was moving around before the first California case. I've mentioned before that my sister is a national Hospice nurse, and in January, she was jetting all over the country, visiting various Hospices. She flew in and out of Atlanta (an international hub), and at the end of January, she got really sick with a fever and respiratory infection that kept her home for over a week.

There were no tests available back then but she said it was "different" from previous times when she got the flu. Plus, she had a flu shot last year. The other Hospice nurse she travels with was also sick at the same time with the same thing so they probably picked it on while traveling. Maybe just a strong flu. Who knows? But, we've wondered.
It’s possible. Especially at that airport with people packed into that “plane train” that takes you to the various terminals/gates.

And if you think they were doing “extra cleaning” of seats or any shared surfaces at the gates at night by the janitorial staff during the first quarter of this year...nope.

German health authorities say they plan to speak to the studio where the latest Matrix film was shot after a party allegedly attended by the Hollywood actor Keanu Reeves was held to mark the end of filming, despite coronavirus restrictions.

About 200 people were at the party disguised as a film shoot, with the guests invited to come as extras in an apparent attempt to bypass health regulations, according to the German tabloid Bild.

Parties of up to 50 people are allowed in Berlin and the neighbouring state of Brandenburg, where the party reportedly took place at the Babelsberg film studios, west of the German capital. But they have to be registered in advance along with the submission of a “hygiene concept” that has to be approved by authorities. Guests have to abide by distancing rules, and to wear a mask when not eating and drinking.

A 39-year-old female guest at the party told Bild: “The mood was exuberant. Everyone was given a corona PCR test in advance. Everyone needed to come wearing a mask but many people didn’t wear them as the party wore on.”

Matrix party ‘disguised as film shoot’ to bypass German Covid rules
It’s different for Hollywood actors, reality stars, etc.
Heaven forbid the Kardashians can’t have their mega annual Christmas party.
Khloe Kardashian slammed by fans for saying annual Christmas Eve party might happen amid pandemic — Fox News

I remembering wondering whether the virus was moving around before the first California case. I've mentioned before that my sister is a national Hospice nurse, and in January, she was jetting all over the country, visiting various Hospices. She flew in and out of Atlanta (an international hub), and at the end of January, she got really sick with a fever and respiratory infection that kept her home for over a week.

There were no tests available back then but she said it was "different" from previous times when she got the flu. Plus, she had a flu shot last year. The other Hospice nurse she travels with was also sick at the same time with the same thing so they probably picked it on while traveling. Maybe just a strong flu. Who knows? But, we've wondered.

Yes, IMO, Covid has been around since before the first officially known case. For example, iirc, there were deaths in Santa Clara County which were much later on attributed as covid deaths, which occurred before the first known case in CA. We also know that Covid in China can be traced back to at least Nov. 17, iirc. (There was also a report that stuff was hinky in China even well before then, increased hospitalizations - there was a report that examined satellite images of hospital parking lots or something like that...I’ll have to find and look at that article again, as I’m not sure how much value there is in that). We do know the extreme measures and lengths China went to suppress information about the disease.

Anyway, considering the Nov. 17 first officially known case, and considering our interconnected world, I think it was here well before January, JMO. I also think some people in the States had it in December, including friends of mine, also JMO.

Last edited:
I agree no one NEEDS pizza but you might be surprised at how many young people don't have a clue how to make food. Some older people, too.

Since grocery stores seem to be hot spots, maybe it's safer to just order take out or delivery.

I hear you. I havent been to a grocery store in literally months. My shopping is delivered every Friday morning at 10am. Guy leaves it outside in boxes, fridge stuff is ice packed. He rings the bell and goes on his way. No interraction needed.

The supermarkets were freaking me out. People not following direction arrows, coming too close to me, coughing... Plus the checkout handling all the items annnnnd not forgetting the elevator to the car park.

hmmmm ... Can you explain more. Sounds interesting....
It's supposed to clean 456 cubic feet per hour. I'm hoping by placing them within 16 inches from the doors they'll catch and kill possible viruses before they could circulate throughout the house.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OLBR0H0/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

About this item
  • Pluggable air sanitizer: Provides cleaner air and helps reduce airborne germs and reduce household odors caused by bacteria, pets, and cooking fumes
  • Compact design: This 7 inch wall pluggable sanitizer is perfect for the kitchen, litter box room, bathroom, or children’s room
  • Reduces odors: Reduce unwanted odors from pets, smoke, cooking fumes, and more
  • Kills germs: UV-C light helps kill airborne viruses such as influenza, staph, rhinovirus, and works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce volatile organic compounds

Not so random musing: I really look forward to the day when I can eat my lunch and watch the news without a visual of someone getting a nasal swab.

* “new grocery limits” discussed in above broadcast at 15:54

Last edited:
Haven't got today's full South Carolina report yet, but it's going to be over 1,000 new cases again, maybe close to 1,400.

ETA: Today's numbers:
181,243 confirmed positive cases (+1,348)
3,835 confirmed deaths (+17)

Total Tests Received - 2,261,465
Percent Positive - 14.7%

S.C.'s daily new COVID-19 case count surpasses 1,000 for 5th time this month

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Meanwhile, South Carolina teachers are resigning, at least in the Midlands.
Midlands teachers resign due to COVID-19 concerns | wltx.com

COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina has faced a teacher shortage crisis in recent years, and the pandemic might be holding the state back from improving.

"Last school year, our schools had 555 teaching vacancies across South Carolina. We don’t have the data yet for this year yet, but given recent trends, it's likely we’re going to see some number in that ballpark again," said Patrick Kelly with the Palmetto State Teachers' Association.

SC for Ed board member Lisa Ellis said teachers are at their lowest in terms of morale right now. "First, we are concerned about our health and safety," Ellis said. "Second, most of us are having to teach in person and virtual students at the same time. This is extremely difficult to do, and we feel we are not meeting the needs of any of our students with this expectation.”

Last edited:
It's supposed to clean 456 cubic feet per hour. I'm hoping by placing them within 16 inches from the doors they'll catch and kill possible viruses before they could circulate throughout the house.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OLBR0H0/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

About this item
  • Pluggable air sanitizer: Provides cleaner air and helps reduce airborne germs and reduce household odors caused by bacteria, pets, and cooking fumes
  • Compact design: This 7 inch wall pluggable sanitizer is perfect for the kitchen, litter box room, bathroom, or children’s room
  • Reduces odors: Reduce unwanted odors from pets, smoke, cooking fumes, and more
  • Kills germs: UV-C light helps kill airborne viruses such as influenza, staph, rhinovirus, and works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce volatile organic compounds
How loud is it?

I haven't seen much research on grocery stores as hot spots. Do you have a link you could share?

I don't know what kind of 'proof' you want ... but I can say that when we were in lockdown there were strict limits on the number of people in grocery stores - due to the risk there of spreading the virus.

Woolworths says it will be "limiting the number of customers allowed in store from time to time" in an attempt to enforce social distancing.
The number of customers allowed in any one store will depend on its size.
Woolworths says it will work with "centre management security and police" to manage queues. Signs and cones will be used to show people where to queue, and customers will be let into the shop on a "one in, one out" basis.

Coles will soon implement a similar tactic, announcing in a YouTube video that it will be "limiting how many customers can be in a store, so we may ask you to queue when you arrive".
The video also encourages people to shop alone if possible.

We ask our customers to pre-plan their Easter shopping to avoid the usual Thursday spike in numbers.

Coles and Woolworths to limit number of customers inside their stores

Iowa numbers and news today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 5,065 new confirmed cases for a total of 175,423 of which 106,491 had recovered (+1,134). 19 more were reported to have passed for a total of 1,947. There are 68,932 active positive cases with a 24 hr. postivity rate of 46%. 213 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 1,227 (+19 new daily record). Here are the approximate daily age group increases (2 total short with IDPH numbers): 0-17: 16,481 (+554); 18-40: 75,997 (+2,026); 41-60: 49,681 (+1,482); 61-80: 25,878 (+835); and 81+: 7,344 (+166).
Nov. 13: Over 5,000 new cases, another record-breaking number
Iowa reports 5,065 new coronavirus cases This article has curent hospital data that the IDPH is now including on their covid site since late yesterday. It tells how many were hospitalized for COVID reasons only and how many tested positive for it after being admitted for other health reasons. It also tells % of each age group hospitalized. Also 95 of 99 counties have high positivity rates.
Iowa COVID-19 Information Daily numbers updated everyday at 11:00 a.m.
Iowa COVID-19 Information New hospital data information
Linn County Jail reports additional COVID-19 cases among inmates & staff
NYT Report: Eastern Iowa cities among top COVID-19 hotspots in US
Labor groups file federal complaint against Iowa OSHA
Iowa State Prepares for the End of the Semester as COVID-19 Cases Surge | who13.com
COVID-19 cases climbing at Anamosa State Penitentiary, as state prisons experience outbreaks

Americans likely to attend large holiday gatherings despite COVID-19, survey finds

[A new national survey by The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center finds that although a majority of Americans plan to take precautions at holiday gatherings, such as social distancing and asking those with COVID symptoms not to attend, many will also put themselves at risk. Nearly two in five report they will likely attend a gathering with more than 10 people and a third will not ask guests to wear masks.]

And, local sheriffs are coming out and saying they will not enforce holiday restrictions -- like this sheriff in upstate New York.

With the surge we're seeing now, it's likely a lot of infected people will be spreading the virus on Thanksgiving Day, and sadly, that could mean some of their friends and loved ones won't make it to Christmas this year.

US president-elect Joe Biden is "very interested" in Australia's success at containing COVID-19.

"[Joe Biden] was very interested in Australia's success," said Prime Minister Scott Morrison of efforts to contain the coronavirus.

"And it's obviously the top of his priority list, as he's been saying himself."

Mr Morrison said he would pass on the latest review of Australia's contract tracing measures to Joe Biden's team and to the current US administration.

The US president-elect is interested in Australia's COVID-19 response. This is what the PM sent Joe Biden's team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum