Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #90

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend who went to CANADA for her husband's job months ago is now on lock down again.
They had to stay in a hotel room for 2 weeks when they got there.
She's near Port Elgin, Ontario and the Province has been placed on a 28 day mandatory lock down. They are only allowed to leave for necessities.
She did get a new puppy, so she doesn't mind too much!

MOO

We are not in Canada-- we are in Michigan, but we most likely will not be going to our Florida condo this year- I do not want to be driving across the country with the virus surging. While driving may not be as risky as flying, it is still high risk. You have to stop for gas, for food and to use the restrooms in areas of the country that are hit hard by the virus. No thanks. It isn't easy to stay in Michigan. I hate the cold: i shiver to my bones the entire winter- we haven't been home in the winter for 12 years.
:( I’m hoping you got some warm jammies and toasty socks (I had to order a few things from Target and Amazon)
I hate the 100 degree heat and 90% humidity.

Ok...so still listening.. But do you have a link (ha ha !) to docs who are saying it is more severe. Every podcast out there seems to have to be like a novel... still a happy ending of hope, when it may not really be truth.

Here is one link where it was mentioned / of course I’m not sure how accurate this source is, see comments in red within quote that other reports contradicted this:

“South African doctors have remarked that more patients are younger, and do not always have other conditions that amplify the virus’ effect, but are nonetheless suffering from more severe forms of COVID-19.”“

*of course I’m not sure how accurate this source is, see comments in red that other reports contradicted this / see comments in red at link below:

Africa - Coronavirus COVID-19

Also, I think Dr. O also says somewhere in there that some doctors have made this remark. Jmo, I don’t think he said that it is more severe, but said some doctors are reporting severe illness, iirc. Jmo, would have to listen again to pull quote. Again, it is just now unfolding, so the severity of disease remains to really be seen and studied, imo, as Dr. O mentioned.

Also:

BBC Video: “doctors are reporting more young people who are seriously ill”; also, per Matt Hancock, this new South Africa variant is highly concerning because it appears to have mutated further than the one discovered in the UK.
source

Last edited:
COVID-19: Coronavirus variant confirmed on island of Madeira after Canada also declares cases

The new variant of coronavirus that is spreading through Britain has been detected on the Portuguese island of Madeira.

It follows several countries in reporting cases of the mutation, listed as VUI-202012/01, first spotted in the UK and thought to be up to 70% more transmissible - meaning it can spread much faster.

Authorities on the island have not said how many people are infected, but confirmed it had been "detected in travellers who arrived in Madeira from the United Kingdom".

“Mass vaccination programs began to be rolled out across Europe on Sunday after several countries reported cases of a more contagious variant of coronavirus.

On what some have dubbed "V-Day," Germany, France, Italy, Portugal and Spain began inoculations, starting out with health workers and those most at risk of contracting the disease.

The coordinated vaccination campaign of unprecedented scale in the European Union, home to almost 450 million people is a crucial step in curbing the global pandemic.“

Mass coronavirus vaccination begins for 450 million across Europe

Cases of the more contagious variant of Covid-19 first identified in the UK have been confirmed in several European countries as well as Canada and Japan.

“Infections linked to people who arrived from the UK were reported in Spain, Switzerland, Sweden and France.

BBM:
A couple found infected in Ontario, Canada, had no known travel history or high-risk contacts, officials say.

Japan is to ban most non-resident foreign nationals from entering the country for a month from Monday.“

Last edited:
:( I’m hoping you got some warm jammies and toasty socks (I had to order a few things from Target and Amazon)
I hate the 100 degree heat and 90% humidity.

Winter in Florida is great: temp around 80 and very low humidity. I did buy a couple of heated throws/blankets and that does help alleviate the cold

AstraZeneca: Shot will be effective against COVID-19 variant

“LONDON (AP) — The head of drugmaker AstraZeneca, which is developing a coronavirus vaccine widely expected to be approved by U.K. authorities this week, said Sunday that researchers believe the shot will be effective against a new variant of the virus driving a rapid surge in infections in Britain.

AstraZeneca chief executive Pascal Soriot also told the Sunday Times that researchers developing its vaccine have figured out a “winning formula” making the jab as effective as rival candidates.

Some have raised concern that the AstraZeneca vaccine, which is being developed with Oxford University, may not be as good as the one made by Pfizer already being distributed in the U.K. and other countries. Partial results suggest that the AstraZeneca shot is about 70% effective for preventing illness from coronavirus infection, compared to the 95% efficacy reported by Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech.“

Last edited:
According to the reporter in the above posted “Face the Nation“ video, this week was the deadliest week in the deadliest month for people in nursing homes and long care facilities. :(

Also, per Dr. Gottlieb, younger people receive some immunity from the first shot, but elderly populations really need that second booster. It will be some time before we see a reduction in mortality trends in the elderly population.

Additionally, Dr. G says, as also mentioned by Dr. O and posted above, that the US doesn’t do a lot of genomic sequencing. That which is done is done in private labs, and doesn’t get aggregated to public databases - “this needs to be fixed”. UK sequences about 10% of samples, compared to the US, which only sequences a fraction of one percent - a “better approach“ is needed to systematically sequence and track changes and variants in this virus.

Germany mass vaccination program / Brazil yet to approve a vaccine

The Month Coronavirus Unraveled American Business | A WSJ Documentary

Last edited:
"A 33-year-old woman who reportedly works for Disney bragged in a Facebook post this week that she received the Pfizer BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine reserved for frontline health care workers because of a relative’s connection to Redlands Community Hospital."

"When a Facebook friend inquired how she was able to obtain the vaccine that is not yet available to the general public, she responded that her husband’s aunt is a “big deal” at Redlands Community and had leftover doses that were set to expire."

Disney employee brags relative helped her obtain COVID-19 vaccine meant for health workers – Redlands Daily Facts
Disney employee brags relative helped her obtain COVID-19 vaccine meant for health workers – Redlands Daily Facts

"A 33-year-old woman who reportedly works for Disney bragged in a Facebook post this week that she received the Pfizer BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine reserved for frontline health care workers because of a relative’s connection to Redlands Community Hospital."

"When a Facebook friend inquired how she was able to obtain the vaccine that is not yet available to the general public, she responded that her husband’s aunt is a “big deal” at Redlands Community and had leftover doses that were set to expire."

So unfair!!! I fear that more of this behaviour will be happening already - it is just not making it to the media. These incidents might be the tip of the iceberg.

COVID-19: Life-saving care for non-coronavirus patients under threat due to hospital strain, surgeon warns

A severe shortage of staff to deal with the growing number of patients prompted the health board that runs the largest hospital in Cardiff to tweet an emergency appeal for medical students to step in and work this weekend.

Cardiff and Vale University Health Board tweeted "our critical care department is urgently looking for assistance from medical students or other staff groups who have previously supported with proning patients", and asked for volunteers to begin work on Sunday.

COVID-19: Life-saving care for non-coronavirus patients under threat due to hospital strain, surgeon warns

A severe shortage of staff to deal with the growing number of patients prompted the health board that runs the largest hospital in Cardiff to tweet an emergency appeal for medical students to step in and work this weekend.

Cardiff and Vale University Health Board tweeted "our critical care department is urgently looking for assistance from medical students or other staff groups who have previously supported with proning patients", and asked for volunteers to begin work on Sunday.
:(

Dexamethasone

It remains one of the most dramatically successful outcomes in the battle against Covid-19. A cheap treatment for inflammation was found to save lives of seriously ill patients while a trio of much-touted therapies were shown to have no effect.

It is now estimated that the discovery of the effectiveness of the drug dexamethasone has saved around 650,000 lives across the world ....... “In the UK alone, dexamethasone has already prevented more than 12,000 deaths”

Recovery was set up by Landray and Peter Horby at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic - the world’s largest randomised Covid-19 drugs trial.
So far, Recovery – short for Randomised Evaluation of Covid-19 Therapy – has pronounced on four medicines: azithromycin, an antibiotic; the drug combination lopinavir-ritonavir; hydroxychloroquine, a treatment for malaria and rheumatic diseases; and dexamethasone. Only the last saved lives or aided recovery.

The breakthrough medicines that could change the course of Covid

Dexamethasone

It remains one of the most dramatically successful outcomes in the battle against Covid-19. A cheap treatment for inflammation was found to save lives of seriously ill patients while a trio of much-touted therapies were shown to have no effect.

It is now estimated that the discovery of the effectiveness of the drug dexamethasone has saved around 650,000 lives across the world ....... “In the UK alone, dexamethasone has already prevented more than 12,000 deaths”

Recovery was set up by Landray and Peter Horby at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic - the world’s largest randomised Covid-19 drugs trial.
So far, Recovery – short for Randomised Evaluation of Covid-19 Therapy – has pronounced on four medicines: azithromycin, an antibiotic; the drug combination lopinavir-ritonavir; hydroxychloroquine, a treatment for malaria and rheumatic diseases; and dexamethasone. Only the last saved lives or aided recovery.

The breakthrough medicines that could change the course of Covid

one of my cats is on dexa and another cat is on zithro lol

Dr Anthony Fauci, the head of the US coronavirus taskforce said that he believes the Covid-19 variant detected in the UK must be taken “very seriously” but is not likely to cause more serious illness or be resistant to vaccines.

He said: “Does it make someone more ill? Is it [a] more serious virus in the sense of virulence? And the answer is, it doesn’t appear to be that way.”

Fauci backed the decision by US officials for people entering the US to require negative Covid tests. He told CNN’s State of the Union that the worst for the US was still yet to come in the pandemic.

Australia news live: race on to solve Sydney's mystery Covid cases; NSW police fine North Bondi partygoers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing wonder