Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #90

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the third teacher covid death in the past two pages of the thread. What the heck.

Patrick Key, 53 years old (Georgia)
John Krol, 40 years old (Virginia)
Rosemary Collins, 51 years old (Florida)

I wonder what the toll has been on the teaching profession throughout this pandemic. If anyone is keeping track of it.
I am so against schools being open right now - I’m sorry... and I have a child in elementary school and am a single mother who works full time. I’m also a nurse and got my COVID positive result on December 13th... now my childcare and everything is in jeopardy but if I have to go off work and stay home for a bit I have to. I really don’t want to send my child to school as there are constant outbreaks there and my child is still negative.

I am so against schools being open right now - I’m sorry... and I have a child in elementary school and am a single mother who works full time. I’m also a nurse and got my COVID positive result on December 13th... now my childcare and everything is in jeopardy but if I have to go off work and stay home for a bit I have to. I really don’t want to send my child to school as there are constant outbreaks there and my child is still negative.

I feel the same as you. I have never understood why our most precious resources are not being protected to the max.

I feel the same as you. I have never understood why our most precious resources are not being protected to the max.
Right?! And they are such big asymptomatic carriers! I get that online school is not always a good option for disadvantaged kids but with the money we will save on health care closing schools maybe we could pay for computers and wifi for those that cannot! There are solutions - we just need to be creative.

https://twitter.com/losttocovid?s=21

That is the third teacher covid death in the past two pages of the thread. What the heck.

Patrick Key, 53 years old (Georgia)
John Krol, 40 years old (Virginia)
Rosemary Collins, 51 years old (Florida)

I wonder what the toll has been on the teaching profession throughout this pandemic. If anyone is keeping track of it.

It is the first ever International Day of Epidemic Preparedness.

In 2019 the DRC Ebola epidemic crossed into Uganda.
If we fail to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
But Uganda's preparedness paid off.
Both the Coronavirus and Ebola outbreaks underscore once again the vital importance for all countries to invest in preparedness, not panic.
Just 18 million dollars was spent on preparedness in Uganda, but when Ebola did cross the border to Uganda, they were ready ... and stopped it.
This must be a lesson for the rest of the world.

World Health Organization (WHO) is sharing a COVID-19 update

Last edited:
Long COVID symptoms may include parosmia as people report 'disgusting' smells of fish, burning and sulphur

People suffering from 'long COVID' are reporting a strong smell of fish, sulphur and a sweet sickly odour, as further symptoms of the virus emerge.

The unusual side-effect is known as parosmia - meaning a distortion of smell - and may be disproportionately affecting young people and healthcare workers.

Ear, nose and throat (ENT) surgeon Professor Nirmal Kumar called the symptom "very strange and very unique".

More details at link

Dr. Osterholm did a valuable segment on the UK and SA variants:

“In this episode, Dr. Osterholm and host Chris Dall discuss reports of new SARS-CoV-2 variants from the UK and South Africa and potential implications, additional federal recommendations for vaccine prioritization, further information on vaccines for pregnant women, and the epidemiology of the pandemic heading into the holidays.“

Osterholm Update: COVID-19 |Episode 37: Now Is the Time | December 23. 2020

—-

Eta: My opinion re: his comments on the variants: as a lay person, IANAD, who realizes all this “strain business” is very deep, scientific stuff and way above my head, but is striving to keep up on a basic level, so we can at least have a minimal understand what is happening as it unfolds, and based on my very elementary, initial studies so far, I fully agree with Dr. Osterholm’s assessments, meaning I’ve been thinking the same thing, that the new variants are already likely here. He echoed what I said too about the US’ poor performance wrt genomic surveillance, as compared to the UK. He mentioned the comparison figures at something like US 300ish vs. 3000ish UK.

I highly recommend a listen to the above podcast, jmo.

Geeeeezzz, Margarita.... This is over an hour long..........how do you have time to keep up with all this heavy stuff!!!
But, OK... I am listening....

Post continued from above post, ran out of time.

IMO, in my “Lay Person/Strains for Dummies/Variants 101 Kindergarten- since I’ve never heard about of any of this stuff previously and just trying to keep up / IANAD” opinion, it seems very plausible and scary that this virus could very well/could possibly/ likely mutate into more severe strains/variants/lineages, whatever you want to call them (I am still learning). As Doc T and others said, the more time this virus spreads, the more opportunity it has to change.

Now this reminds me omg of something Dr. O also said:

Remember, these new variants are just now unfolding, so to speak (paraphrasing) - so, basically what he was saying is, we really don’t know how severe these new variants are wrt to level of disease, because it’s unfolding in real time. Again, paraphrasing. He mentioned the “lagging indicator”, that which is similar to how deaths follow hospitalizations.

He said basically we will find out in the coming weeks if these variants could be more severe, and that, as I posted above, some doctors ARE reporting that it IS. Jmo, moo, paraphrasing.

So, imo, bouncing off what he said, when someone says “it is not more deadly”, how can they know? These variants have only recently been identified and it will take some time for them to present if they are indeed more severe, jmo.

Ok...so still listening.. But do you have a link (ha ha !) to docs who are saying it is more severe. Every podcast out there seems to have to be like a novel... still a happy ending of hope, when it may not really be truth.

Many snowbirds flocking south despite Canadian government's plea to seniors to stay home

“In anticipation of the winter travel season, the federal government has issued an online alert to seniors, advising them to stay home during the COVID-19 pandemic. But the message may have little impact on snowbirds who are determined to escape the Canadian winter.”

We are not in Canada-- we are in Michigan, but we most likely will not be going to our Florida condo this year- I do not want to be driving across the country with the virus surging. While driving may not be as risky as flying, it is still high risk. You have to stop for gas, for food and to use the restrooms in areas of the country that are hit hard by the virus. No thanks. It isn't easy to stay in Michigan. I hate the cold: i shiver to my bones the entire winter- we haven't been home in the winter for 12 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lexus24