Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #90

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This news article came from Georgia where Santa and Mrs. Claus both tested positive after being part of the town parade, attending the tree lighting and being near dozens of kids.
~~
"I have personally known both 'Santa' and 'Mrs. Claus' my entire life and I can assure everyone that they would have never knowingly done anything to place any children in danger," Parker said. "They have both filled these roles for many years, and bringing joy to children during the holidays is one of the most important parts of their lives."

The Long City Commissioners have decided not to cancel any other holiday-themed events for the remainder of the season.

Parker says that he speaks for the majority of the commission in saying that they plan to move forward with other holiday traditions in order to bring "some sense of normalcy" to the pandemic.
Santa and Mrs. Claus mingled with dozens of kids in a Georgia town. Then the couple tested positive for COVID-19
~~

The lack of responsibility is rather stunning, is it not?

This news article came from Georgia where Santa and Mrs. Claus both tested positive after being part of the town parade, attending the tree lighting and being near dozens of kids.
~~
"I have personally known both 'Santa' and 'Mrs. Claus' my entire life and I can assure everyone that they would have never knowingly done anything to place any children in danger," Parker said. "They have both filled these roles for many years, and bringing joy to children during the holidays is one of the most important parts of their lives."

The Long City Commissioners have decided not to cancel any other holiday-themed events for the remainder of the season.

Parker says that he speaks for the majority of the commission in saying that they plan to move forward with other holiday traditions in order to bring "some sense of normalcy" to the pandemic.
Santa and Mrs. Claus mingled with dozens of kids in a Georgia town. Then the couple tested positive for COVID-19
~~

They missed a great chance to show the community how much they care. Spreading a deadly virus trumps safety in Long County it seems.
JMO

~~

~~

Can people really be that stupid? Unbelievable.

New coronavirus variant appears to emerge in Nigeria, Africa CDC says
December 24, 2020

““The alert about the apparent new variant was based on two or three genetic sequences, he said, but that and South Africa's alert late last week were enough to prompt an emergency meeting of the Africa CDC this week.

The variant was found in two patient samples collected on Aug. 3 and Oct. 9 in Nigeria's Osun state, according to a working research paper seen by The Associated Press.

Unlike the variant seen in the U.K., "we haven't observed such rapid rise of the lineage in Nigeria and do not have evidence to indicate that the P681H variant is contributing to increased transmission of the virus in Nigeria. However, the relative difference in scale of genomic surveillance in Nigeria vs the U.K. may imply a reduced power to detect such changes," the paper says.”

(adding to notes on variants)

I wonder why the Belgian care homes have had such a rough time?

(There are a few countries that I hope Amnesty International investigates)

Belgian authorities “abandoned” thousands of elderly people who died in nursing homes during the coronavirus pandemic and did not seek hospital treatment for many who were infected, violating their human rights, Amnesty International said in an investigation published Monday.

Between March and October ..... “a staggering” 61.3% of all COVID-19 deaths in Belgium took place in nursing homes. The group said authorities weren’t quick enough in implementing measures to protect nursing home residents and staff during this period, failing to protect their human rights.

.... many people died in nursing homes because infected residents weren’t transferred to hospitals to receive treatment.

More than half of the care providers quizzed during the group’s investigation said they didn’t receive training on how to use protective equipment and weren’t sufficiently informed about the virus.

...... systematic testing of nursing home employees in Belgium wasn’t introduced before August, with only one test per month.

Report: Belgian nursing homes failed patients amid pandemic

Last edited:
A rural county battling COVID-19 faces a difficult obstacle: The local Walmart — Texas Monthly

“The laissez-faire attitude in the store stands in stark contrast to the scene down the street. A few hundred feet away, across an empty lot about two football fields wide, a team of doctors and nurses at the Hereford Regional Medical Center are under siege. By any reasonable measure, Hereford, the seat of Deaf Smith County, is in the throes of a humanitarian crisis, one that health experts believe is likely to worsen in the coming weeks.”

(There are a few countries that I hope Amnesty International investigates)

Belgian authorities “abandoned” thousands of elderly people who died in nursing homes during the coronavirus pandemic and did not seek hospital treatment for many who were infected, violating their human rights, Amnesty International said in an investigation published Monday.

Between March and October ..... “a staggering” 61.3% of all COVID-19 deaths in Belgium took place in nursing homes. The group said authorities weren’t quick enough in implementing measures to protect nursing home residents and staff during this period, failing to protect their human rights.

.... many people died in nursing homes because infected residents weren’t transferred to hospitals to receive treatment.

More than half of the care providers quizzed during the group’s investigation said they didn’t receive training on how to use protective equipment and weren’t sufficiently informed about the virus.

...... systematic testing of nursing home employees in Belgium wasn’t introduced before August, with only one test per month.

Report: Belgian nursing homes failed patients amid pandemic

I am not sure that is the entire story. Most people who are in LTC facilities have "DNR" orders, along with an entire list of items that they don't want any further medical intervention. Many people in LTC don't even get flu or pneumonia vaccines. It is a choice.

That being said, some people may have wanted more medical intervention, and were not given the option for treatment, which is part of triage. Medical resources for the ones most likely to survive.

(*starting a new round of notes, trying to understand as a lay person why higher viral load is presently not attributed to increased disease severity wrt the latest variants.)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-safrica-variant-ex/explainer-the-new-coronavirus-variant-in-south-africa-are-concerns-justified-idUSKBN28Z0D
December 25, 2020

“It has also been associated with a higher viral load, meaning a higher concentration of virus particles in patients’ bodies, possibly contributing to higher levels of transmission.

Between 80% and 90% of new cases in the country are carrying the mutant variant, according to health authorities.”

COVID-19: Does the infectious inoculum dose-response relationship contribute to understanding heterogeneity in disease severity and transmission dynamics? - NCBI - NIH
November 25, 2020

““For SARS, higher nasopharyngeal viral load correlated with proximity to the index patient, severity of disease, and amount of virus shed. High nasopharyngeal viral loads correlated with disease severity, poorer outcomes, and mortality also seen in MERS.“

—-

FTR, I am quite concerned about these new variants, and not just these specific variants, but also the ones that could emerge in the future. I hope we are not beginning to echo what happened in 1918. I think these new variants represent a scary potential. I hope they don’t turn out to be more severe. Again, if they don’t, it seems there is obvious potential that it can happen, the more time this virus is prevalent and has time to change.

I am interested in anything that has to do with viral load and disease severity going forward.

Eta:
SARS-CoV-2 viral load is associated with increased disease severity and mortality | Nature Communications
Oct. 20, 2020

Hmmm. So, if the UK and SA variants have higher viral loads, then why aren’t they more severe? Maybe they actually are more severe, idk.

The New Covid Variant in the UK: Questions and Answers - The New York Times
5 days ago — And in preliminary studies, doctors there have found that people infected with this variant carry a heightened viral load — a higher concentration of the virus in their upper respiratory tract.

*ok, so this in the upper respiratory tract...is it higher in the nose too?

Link to part 1 notes, which has some reference on the naseo wrt the first notable mutation, 614G:

Nov. 13, 2020
Study: New Mutation Sped Up Spread of Coronavirus

“Compared to the original strain, people infected with the new strain -- called 614G -- have higher viral loads in their nose and throat, though they don’t seem to get any sicker. But they are much more contagious to others.“

“BBC Video: “doctors are reporting more young people who are seriously ill”; also, per Matt Hancock, this new South Africa variant is highly concerning because it appears to have mutated further than the one discovered in the UK.“
source

IANAD, this is all way over my head. Point is, again, I am very concerned about the potential of these changes in this virus, both present and future jmo. I am worried about the potential for increased overall disease severity, particularly in children. Jmo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member