Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #90

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we can assume she is Australian ... I'd like to know where the flight came from, as well. I have scoured every article I can find, and listened closely to the TV news about it, and no-one is saying.

The best I can find is this, from Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young .. "Genome sequencing has come back to show that she has this new variant that has been picked up in South Africa, that is thought to be more contagious," she said.
Australia records first case of 'more contagious' South African coronavirus strain in Queensland quarantine

They never tell us where the flights originate, and even if they did we all know that some Aussies are travelling many miles to get to the repatriation flights, as the flights leave from fairly central locations around the world.

One thing is for sure, we are getting MANY more infected people among the incoming repatriated Aussies. And it is scary for us. Which might be why they don't tell us where the flights originate, as there might be a public call to stop the flights.

I tried to "scour" as well...with zero success, so determined it is intentional in their reporting, probably for the reasons you mention. But, do you folks feel confident of the Contact Tracing and Quarantine program you are using? It does seem highly regimented at least.

Remind me....are these mostly people who have been "stranded" in another part of the world for a long time? Are they not required to test negative before getting on the planes? Are the planes your own airlines only, or are they from other ? Just curious. I remain anxious as we learn about the new South African strain.... so this ongoing story in Australia is going to remain interesting to all of us!

I don't disagree on one level.... Countries with universal healthcare have managed programs, distribution and EXPECTATIONS better. However, we have grown up with the knowledge that the US is highly capable of major programs and very complex infrastructures.

The lack of assimilating of tracking, tracing and researching the ongoing disease changes are not because we don't have universal healthcare, but because we have not built the consolidated infrastructure to follow through and be accountable....with anything.

My image of the IKEA furniture being dumped into the States still stands....

Dr Ashith Jha, from Brown University:
"The federal government created Operation Warp Speed to deliver vaccines to states. The amount of vaccine doses shipped to states has been lower than initially expected - dropping from estimates this fall of 100 million in December to recent updates of 20 million by early January - Jha noted, "But this is really not the worst part.

"The worst part is no real planning on what happens when vaccines arrive in states. No plan, no money, just hope that states will figure this out," he wrote.

Dr. Ashish Jha, dean of the Brown University School of Public Health, says he's 'incredibly frustrated' with the slow rollout of the coronavirus vaccines. He blames the federal government for not planning better and working more closely with the states on the "last mile" of getting vaccines into arms.
State health departments, typically underfunded, have been left to administer the vaccines, Jha wrote. There was "no effort" from the federal government to help states "launch a real vaccination infrastructure," he wrote. He suggested that the federal government should have started planning vaccination sites in October or November.

"The real issue is there was never a last mile plan," Jha said in the podcast. "There was never a plan to figure out how do we get vaccines from the states into people's arms."

I think I read that the new bill - that was only just signed - has allocated funds to help the states with vaccine implementation.
As you say, everything seems to be playing catch up. The disorganisation ......

I see Joe Biden on our news this morning, very disappointed with the vaccine rollout. Saying that 20,000,000 are supposed to be vaccinated by the end of December, and December is almost over with only a couple of million having been vaccinated.

I think I read that the new bill - that was only just signed - has allocated funds to help the states with vaccine implementation.

I see Joe Biden on our news this morning, very disappointed with the vaccine rollout. Saying that 20,000,000 are supposed to be vaccinated by the end of December, and December is almost over with only a couple of million having been vaccinated.

Cuomo said his State, (I’m not sure about others), didn’t get the State funding they need, that what they did get was just “three drops in an empty bucket”. I can’t remember if this comment was related to vaccine rollout or not / source.

Last edited:
I tried to "scour" as well...with zero success, so determined it is intentional in their reporting, probably for the reasons you mention. But, do you folks feel confident of the Contact Tracing and Quarantine program you are using? It does seem highly regimented at least.

Remind me....are these mostly people who have been "stranded" in another part of the world for a long time? Are they not required to test negative before getting on the planes? Are the planes your own airlines only, or are they from other ? Just curious. I remain anxious as we learn about the new South African strain.... so this ongoing story in Australia is going to remain interesting to all of us!

Our contact tracing and quarantine system is very, very good. Are we confident in it? As much as we can be ... keeping in mind that the Victorian 2nd wave was caused by a disastrous slip in the quarantine system.

I think that Qantas is running most of the repatriation flights, but I think United may be involved as well. We seem to have United flights still entering and leaving the country (although they could be cargo flights).

No, the Aussies are not required to test negative prior to boarding. (Yes, they have been overseas - either living and working, or visiting - since before this began.)
They are required to be well, and be masked up and socially distanced all the way home and into quarantine. My state premier has been asking for the pre-boarding covid tests, but he was out-voted for some reason ... I think the weak reason was that people might become covid positive during the flight anyway.

Courtesy via @dspdenver

COVID-19 IN COLORADO: COVID-19 variant from U.K. discovered in Colorado

DENVER (KDVR) — A variant of COVID-19 first discovered in the United Kingdom has now been discovered in Colorado.

The Colorado State Laboratory said the person is a man in his 20s who is currently in isolation in Elbert County and has no travel history.

“The fact that Colorado has detected this virant first in the nation is a testament to the sophistication of Colorado’s response and the talent of CDPHE’s scientist and lab operations,” said Jill Hunsaker Ryan, executive director, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

(No surprise here, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I expected to hear this news of US confirmation at any minute.)

No travel history. Has Colorado had good history of contact tracing? Hope so. I hope you will keep us informed.

So...you were waiting for this specific Colorado case to be announced? Or are you expecting to hear lots of US confirmation?
With soooo many cases spread throughout the US, how in hell are we going to isolate this information?

Our contact tracing and quarantine system is very, very good. Are we confident in it? As much as we can be ... keeping in mind that the Victorian 2nd wave was caused by a disastrous slip in the quarantine system.

I think that Qantas is running most of the repatriation flights, but I think United may be involved as well. We seem to have United flights still entering and leaving the country (although they could be cargo flights).

No, the Aussies are not required to test negative prior to boarding. (Yes, they have been overseas - either living and working, or visiting - since this began.)
They are required to be well, and be masked up and socially distanced all the way home and into quarantine. My state premier has been asking for the pre-boarding covid tests, but he was out-voted for some reason ... I think the weak reason was that people might become covid positive during the flight anyway.

Thanks. Valuable information. Please do keep us updated on this case ....

No travel history. Has Colorado had good history of contact tracing? Hope so. I hope you will keep us informed.

So...you were waiting for this specific Colorado case to be announced? Or are you expecting to hear lots of US confirmation?
With soooo many cases spread throughout the US, how in hell are we going to isolate this information?

No, was expecting any minute the announcement confirming that the UK variant is also in the US (I figured the announcement would have come out of LA County, though, since it was announced they were specifically testing for it) / post.

Additionally, as I said previously, the UK variant is probably full blown here, jmo.

DENVER (KKTV) - The new COVID-19 variant discovered in the UK made its way to Colorado.

On Tuesday, the Office of Governor Jared Polis announced a man in his 20s is currently in isolation in Elbert County with COVID-19 variant B.1.1.7. The man does not have any travel history, according to the governor’s office. The variant has sparked concern worldwidebecause of signs that it may spread more easily.

1st case of COVID variant discovered in Colorado

<RSBM>
Additionally, as I said previously, the UK variant is probably full blown here, jmo.

Not only your opinion, but also the opinion of the CDC. The genomic testing in the US is very, very minimal.

Article from a week ago ...
While the variant hasn’t been found in the U.S. yet, the CDC noted that scientists haven’t sequenced the genetic coding for many Covid-19 infections here. The agency said “viruses have only been sequenced from about 51,000 of the 17 million US cases,” so the new strain could have slipped notice.
CDC says new Covid strain in UK could already be circulating undetected in U.S.

Would somebody p!ese explain what more contagious means with respect to
the variant--I mean it is already very contagious- it is pretty vague as to what more
contagious really means

Remember earlier we were talking about the R value. This one has, for instance/example, could have moved the Rt value from .8 to 1.4 as it's more "transmissible" from my understanding. If less than one, the case numbers go down in time. If over one, the case numbers increasing over time.

As a refresher go to this site, and drill down/click on your state to see more of the input--> Rt COVID-19

Scroll down to bottom of page to see more information e.g.
"Calculating Rt
Rt represents the effective reproduction rate of the virus calculated for each locale. It lets us estimate how many secondary infections are likely to occur from a single infection in a specific area. Values over 1.0 mean we should expect more cases in that area, values under 1.0 mean we should expect fewer."

Last edited:
Remember earlier we were talking about the R value. This one has, for instance/example, could have moved the Rt value from .8 to 1.4 as it's more "transmissible" from my understanding. If less than one, the case numbers go down in time. If over one, the case numbers increasing over time.

As a refresher go to this site, and drill down/click on your state to see more of the input--> Rt COVID-19

Scroll down to bottom of page to see more information e.g.
"Calculating Rt
Rt represents the effective reproduction rate of the virus calculated for each locale. It lets us estimate how many secondary infections are likely to occur from a single infection in a specific area. Values over 1.0 mean we should expect more cases in that area, values under 1.0 mean we should expect fewer."

exactly how is it more transmissible? does that mean masks will not provide
as much protection? does it mean when i go to the grocery store, more people
in that store are infected?

Hundreds in Helena get COVID vaccine as phased rollout continues

Seems to be working pretty well in Montana. They have a well defined system.

As opposed to the VA hospital, which is, as usual, a complete cluster. My husband called the VA about getting the vaccine, he was told maybe March or April. The county health department, already has him scheduled for January.

Despite the concern about the new variant, experts reiterated Dec. 21 that the same public health measures preached since the early days of the pandemic could still combat its spread. Mike Ryan, the head of the World Health Organization’s emergencies program, noted that the R-naught in certain places has far exceeded 1.5 at various times, and that the virus was still brought under control. “In some senses, it means we have to work harder,” Ryan said

3 questions scientists are working to answer about the new coronavirus variant

Family blames haircut after couple dies from COVID-19 just 10 days apart

So the sister that worked in a hair salon got a false negative test? Is that what this article is saying?

They did everything right. But after one at-home haircut, a husband and wife died of Covid-19 — CNN

“Mike and Carol Bruno did everything right to avoid Covid-19. They refrained from hosting the big, traditional family gatherings they were used to. They stuck to phone calls and video conferences with family even though they didn't live far away.

But a simple family visit to get a haircut claimed both of their lives. “

“In late November, Bruno's mother, Carol Bruno, came over to his apartment with his sister so his sister could give him a haircut. Prior to the visit, his sister, who works in a salon, had taken a Covid-19 test which had come back negative. She had also quarantined for three to four days — a sign the family took to mean that it was safe to be around her.

His mother, on the other hand, hadn't been out much during the pandemic at all.”

“Throughout the visit, which lasted about 40 minutes, the Brunos wore masks and avoided hugs, Bruno explained. They also made sure their mother sat next to the windows which they had opened as an extra precaution.

A day after the visit, Bruno's sister started displaying symptoms of Covid-19. Mother and son started feeling unwell soon after. “
———-
Aren’t you supposed to quarantine for longer than 3-4 days?

A haircut at home isn’t any safer than going to the salon!

And the mom rode with the sister after being careful for so many months.....
:(

They did everything right. But after one at-home haircut, a husband and wife died of Covid-19 — CNN

“Mike and Carol Bruno did everything right to avoid Covid-19. They refrained from hosting the big, traditional family gatherings they were used to. They stuck to phone calls and video conferences with family even though they didn't live far away.

But a simple family visit to get a haircut claimed both of their lives. “

“In late November, Bruno's mother, Carol Bruno, came over to his apartment with his sister so his sister could give him a haircut. Prior to the visit, his sister, who works in a salon, had taken a Covid-19 test which had come back negative. She had also quarantined for three to four days — a sign the family took to mean that it was safe to be around her.

His mother, on the other hand, hadn't been out much during the pandemic at all.”

“Throughout the visit, which lasted about 40 minutes, the Brunos wore masks and avoided hugs, Bruno explained. They also made sure their mother sat next to the windows which they had opened as an extra precaution.

A day after the visit, Bruno's sister started displaying symptoms of Covid-19. Mother and son started feeling unwell soon after. “
———-
Aren’t you supposed to quarantine for longer than 3-4 days?

A haircut at home isn’t any safer than going to the salon!

And the mom rode with the sister after being careful for so many months.....
:(
I saw that too and thought the same... so tragic and preventable. I’m glad that the son is being transparent though so that hopefully others will learn from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine