Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #90

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
'It's So Much Worse Than Before.' Dread And Despair Haunt Nurses Inside LA's ICUs

NPR: ICU Nurses Have Quit Because Of The Stress Of The COVID-19 Surge : Shots - Health News.
'It's So Much Worse Than Before.' Dread And Despair Haunt Nurses Inside LA's ICUs

So how are we as a country dealing with this? Oh, a million people are travelling by air every day for the past five days -- When they are interviewed these mental midgets say cute stuff like " well, Covid will not stop me from celebrating Xmas with my family" or they say they aren't worried about Covid. SMH- ya know what I think? I think when some of these people get sick, they should be asked if they travelled recently, and if they say yes, they should be turned away--Of course that will never happen because good and decent health care workers care about people and would never ever do that.

Santa did stop in Wuhan - when I just looked...

and he got out of there fast!!
traineau0.gif

wuhan.JPG

I saw that too! I thought I learned a lot about geography with COVID, but adding on to my learnings with Santa... who I follow! This is a screenshot from link above.

ETA: Darn, I thought I did a screen shot right when in Wuhan... he was there but I guess I wasn't quick enough.

Another new coronavirus variant found in Nigeria, says Africa CDC

NAIROBI (Reuters) -Another new variant of the novel coronavirus seems to have emerged in Nigeria, the head of Africa's disease control body said on Thursday, cautioning more investigation was needed.

The news comes after Britain and South Africa both reported new variants of the SARS-CoV-2 virus that appear to be more contagious, leading to new travel restrictions and turmoil in markets.

"It's a separate lineage from the UK and the South African lineages," John Nkengasong, director of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) told an online news conference from Addis Ababa.

I'll be home for Christmas? These truck drivers would love to be stuck at home for Christmas

There are an estimated 10,000 trucks backed-up near the port of Dover, the main ferry port for France and the continent.

LONDON — Thousands of truck drivers stranded in the U.K. on Wednesday were offered a faint glimmer of hope they could be home for Christmas after European officials eased travel restrictions imposed in response to the emergence of a mutant strain of coronavirus.

The British military has been called in to help clear the gridlock caused by convoys of trucks snaked on roads near Dover, the main ferry port for France and the continent

Although officials gave the greenlight for trucks to get moving, Raluca Marian of the International Road Transport Union, a world road transport body, told the BBC the logistics of mass-testing would be "a disaster."

Marian warned that 30-minute tests for thousands of drivers may not see lines clear until New Year's Eve.

Last edited:
I'll be home for Christmas? These truck drivers would love to be stuck at home for Christmas

There are an estimated 10,000 trucks backed-up near the port of Dover, the main ferry port for France and the continent.

LONDON — Thousands of truck drivers stranded in the U.K. on Wednesday were offered a faint glimmer of hope they could be home for Christmas after European officials eased travel restrictions imposed in response to the emergence of a mutant strain of coronavirus.

The British military has been called in to help clear the gridlock caused by convoys of trucks snaked on roads near Dover, the main ferry port for France and the continent

Although officials gave the greenlight for trucks to get moving, Raluca Marian of the International Road Transport Union, a world road transport body, told the BBC the logistics of mass-testing would be "a disaster."

Marian warned that 30-minute tests for thousands of drivers may not see lines clear until New Year's Eve.

Dang, now THIS is when we get into economic impact. I wonder how much is food and other perishables etc. . Just normal commerce?... I haven't seen such impact as to trucks before. Dang!

Last edited:
So how are we as a country dealing with this? Oh, a million people are travelling by air every day for the past five days -- When they are interviewed these mental midgets say cute stuff like " well, Covid will not stop me from celebrating Xmas with my family" or they say they aren't worried about Covid. SMH- ya know what I think? I think when some of these people get sick, they should be asked if they travelled recently, and if they say yes, they should be turned away--Of course that will never happen because good and decent health care workers care about people and would never ever do that.
In our clinics our patients have all been asking us, “Where are you traveling for Christmas?” or some variation of, “Cooking for a crowd tomorrow?”

When we remind them that it isn’t safe to travel or attend gatherings, we hear, “No way am I going to give up Christmas with my family” or “We wouldn’t even THINK of giving up our holiday trip to Florida.”

Over and over, every day for the past couple weeks.

What makes this virus even more evil and wicked is that half the population have no symptoms-- so they become super spreaders- and worse, because they have no symptoms they think the virus is a hoax, like the flu, no big deal----so this virus has insured it will be transmitted to more people because of this. That is the truly horrible and wicked aspect of this virus. Those are the people that are travelling and shopping: they feel perfectly fine, think to themselves, what the heck, I feel great-- even though there is a percentage of those people that are carrying the virus and will transmit it to their parents, grand parents, etc.

And each day, right now, it's a great percentage of people with the virus than the day before - nearly everywhere in the world.

This drives up viral loads in the air, especially in any enclosed or indoor space. While it is true that a large volume of air (as in a high-ceilinged place) can help, at this time of year, the air becomes more stratified due to heating, and air lower in the building remains in place without needed circulation.

Grocery stores, airports, convenience stores, gas station restrooms...all with higher amounts of virions right now than a month ago.

So we all stay in our bunkers until late January. I think this surge of COVID is going to exhaust some people. Also, we may well be close to the point where in the US, 10% may have obtained immunity to COVID via infection. Combine that with another 10% scheduled to be vaccinated in the next 2-3 weeks and we will see a drop in infections, if the forces of mercy and health are on our side.

If 20% of us are immune to COVID by February 1, then going out to the grocery store becomes safer. If 40% of American agree to be vaccinated, then by summer, 50% or more of us should be immune - at least until next winter (I'm optimistic).

I just want the crisis in our hospitals to come under control - but I don't see that happening until February.

In our clinics our patients have all been asking us, “Where are you traveling for Christmas?” or some variation of, “Cooking for a crowd tomorrow?”

When we remind them that it isn’t safe to travel or attend gatherings, we hear, “No way am I going to give up Christmas with my family” or “We wouldn’t even THINK of giving up our holiday trip to Florida.”

Over and over, every day for the past couple weeks.
Sounds like every one of my coworkers.

Dang, now THIS is when we get into economic impact. I wonder how much is food and other perishables etc. . Just normal commerce... I haven't seen such impact.

France Relaxes Its Ban on Trucks Entering From Britain

. Here is an example of food commerce being affected

There are fears of Christmastime food shortages in the U.K.

French restrictions were particularly worrisome, given that Britain relies heavily on its cross-Channel commercial links to the continent for food this time of year.

Some 40 countries imposed travel bans on Britain, leaving the island nation increasingly isolated.

73-year-old Jim Gibson of London said during the standoff,

"...and now we’re being told we may have eaten our last lettuce for three months, too, probably.”

For the drivers, it was a grim couple of days, with some complaining about the lack of toilet facilities and food.

British retailers had become increasingly concerned about the blockage at the ports, given that 10,000 trucks pass through Dover every day, accounting for about 20% of the country’s trade in goods.

Andrew Opie, director of food and sustainability at the British Retail Consortium, warned of potential shortages of fresh vegetables and fruit after Christmas if the borders are not “running pretty much freely” by Wednesday.

The problem, he explained, is that the empty trucks sitting in England can’t reach the continent to pick up deliveries for Britain.

“They need to get back to places like Spain to pick up the next consignment of raspberries and strawberries, and they need to get back within the next day or so, otherwise we will see disruption,” he said.

I’m behind and apologize if this has already been addressed. Today Mr co303 got a call from the hospital where he volunteers w/our therapy dog saying he could come in today and get the vaccine. He’s very high risk so while it might not be fair it’s available to him now I’m relieved he has access to it.

I’m high risk too but it will probably be months before I can get the vaccine. Once he gets his second shot, will it be safe for him to go out, live a normal life (while wearing a mask) and come back to the house or is there risk he could bring the virus home with him?

Somehow I assumed we’d both get the vaccine at the same time. Being cooped up is bothering him at least as much if not more than me and I don’t want him to isolate unnecessarily but I don’t want to catch the virus either after self-isolating for most of the year.

We have a rental property that’s currently vacant. Should one of us go stay there until I can be vaccinated too?

Also, the hospital will understandably want him to bring the therapy dog in for visits. Is that safe for the dog, and if she does go for visits do I need to stay away from her until I’m vaccinated?

Sounds like every one of my coworkers.

The hospital I work for expressly forbid any holiday parties, get togethers, gatherings, and sent out several sternly worded emails and notices.

Last week I was working in a different clinic for two days, just helping out. All of the nurses were planning an unofficial get together at a local bar/ restaurant after they got off work. Wink wink, lol lol. They said they were all just going to show up individually, by chance, and be super surprised to see all their coworkers had decided to stop by there at the same time :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, five days later three of the nurses tested positive for COVID and a few others are sick and awaiting results. A representative from employee health stopped at the clinic to interview the other nurses, attempting to track down the source.

The hospital I work for expressly forbid any holiday parties, get togethers, gatherings, and sent out several sternly worded emails and notices.

Last week I was working in a different clinic for two days, just helping out. All of the nurses were planning an unofficial get together at a local bar/ restaurant after they got off work. Wink wink, lol lol. They said they were all just going to show up individually, by chance, and be super surprised to see all their coworkers had decided to stop by there at the same time :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, five days later three of the nurses tested positive for COVID and a few others are sick and awaiting results. A representative from employee health stopped at the clinic to interview the other nurses, attempting to track down the source.

BBM

Here is your pink slip ... Wink wink, lol lol.

I’m behind and apologize if this has already been addressed. Today Mr co303 got a call from the hospital where he volunteers w/our therapy dog saying he could come in today and get the vaccine. He’s very high risk so while it might not be fair it’s available to him now I’m relieved he has access to it.

I’m high risk too but it will probably be months before I can get the vaccine. Once he gets his second shot, will it be safe for him to go out, live a normal life (while wearing a mask) and come back to the house or is there risk he could bring the virus home with him?

Somehow I assumed we’d both get the vaccine at the same time. Being cooped up is bothering him at least as much if not more than me and I don’t want him to isolate unnecessarily but I don’t want to catch the virus either after self-isolating for most of the year.

We have a rental property that’s currently vacant. Should one of us go stay there until I can be vaccinated too?

Also, the hospital will understandably want him to bring the therapy dog in for visits. Is that safe for the dog, and if she does go for visits do I need to stay away from her until I’m vaccinated?

I don't know about your dog, but it's a good question

Re: can people carry/transmit Covid-19 after being vaccinated

"...while the vaccine may prevent you from getting sick, it is unknown at this time if you can still carry and transmit the virus to others. That is why, until more is understood about how well the vaccine works, continuing with precautions such as mask-wearing and physical distancing will be important."

COVID-19 Vaccine: What You Need to Know | Johns Hopkins Medicine
COVID-19 Vaccine: What You Need to Know

RSBM So we all stay in our bunkers until late January. I think this surge of COVID is going to exhaust some people. Also, we may well be close to the point where in the US, 10% may have obtained immunity to COVID via infection. Combine that with another 10% scheduled to be vaccinated in the next 2-3 weeks and we will see a drop in infections, if the forces of mercy and health are on our side.

If 20% of us are immune to COVID by February 1, then going out to the grocery store becomes safer. If 40% of American agree to be vaccinated, then by summer, 50% or more of us should be immune - at least until next winter (I'm optimistic).

I just want the crisis in our hospitals to come under control - but I don't see that happening until February.

To date, documented 1 million vaccinated (I'm sure behind, yet not off more than a million?) out of 328 million population in the US as to so far.

Do I have my math right? I'm not sure I've got this right as I come up with 0.3% so far of the US documented as vaccinated???

10% being vaccinated in the next 2-3 weeks... that would be how many, and how many per day for their first dose??

That give 32 million being vaccinated in the next 2-3 weeks? I don't think so if my math is correct... no way MOO in heck

And jeeeez, when they all start to overlap with Pfizer first/second dose, Moderna first and second dose, etc....

I do hope that the push is not greater than the jabs... and that some are pushed but there wasn't a pull through to get the vaccines in the arms.

COVID-19 Cases, Deaths, and Trends in the US | CDC COVID Data Tracker

Last edited:

I’m high risk too but it will probably be months before I can get the vaccine. Once he gets his second shot, will it be safe for him to go out, live a normal life (while wearing a momask) and come back to the house or is there risk he could bring the virus home with him?

"Based on the limited information available to date, the risk of animals spreading COVID-19 to people is considered to be low."

If You Have Pets | COVID-19 | CDC
COVID-19 and Your Health

(No matter what source I read, they all say similar, that there are alot of unknowns about animals and Covid-19 transmission)
So I just picked one although it's not definitive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member