Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #90

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks black widow. We're just opening, closing, repeatedly. Last time open lasted 17 hours, then closed again. We are in California. Getting hard to round up employees when we can open, as there is little to no advance warning.
This morning we were awakened to spot lights shining in our windows at 4:10 am with the sheriff's car driving up and down our telling us to vacate. Fire.
We didn't evacuate, but my car is ready to go. Firefighters made some progress today, but the winds are howling and blowing our direction.
It's going to be a long restless night.
P.S. I asked my husband, what next? Locusts?

Just stopping in to say I Hate this curse of a virus.
I don't disdain it. I don't dislike it... I absolutely HATE this virus!
That's it. I hope all of you are safe as our entire world is in an uproar.
I am so, so sorry.

I wonder if they knew they had COVID or symptoms of? Ugh. I have heard of people who went to work because they have no benefits or sick time and need the money and are possibly positive. Nightmare situation though and just goes to show you how 1 person can infect sooo many!
I agree, but in a first world country, no one should be in that situation.

In the clinic they wear hazmat gear, and sit in separate rooms. In the bar they were sitting together without masks, gowns, face shields, and double gloves.

In a way, I do feel for them. It is so nice to get together with friends, and push away this whole Covid situation.

The isolation, going on almost a year, is a lot for some people. Stay home, don't talk to anyone, and Heaven forbid you go out and have a drink with friends! Without a full PPE containment suit!

U.S. plans to study allergic reactions from Pfizer's Covid vaccine
Monday, Dec. 21, 2020

Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine causing more allergic reactions than expected
Dec. 24, 2020

“Alkis Togias, chief of the NIAID’s Allergy, Asthma, and Airway Biology Branch, told CNBC that “several hundred people” who have a history of severe allergic reactions will be involved in a study.”

Moderna COVID-19 vaccine causes swelling and inflammation in patients who have cosmetic facial fillers
Thursday, December 24, 2020 1:18PM

“The FDA advisory committee reviewing the new Moderna vaccine has noted a specific side effect involving several trial participants who have cosmetic facial fillers.“

[...]

"”In these cases the patients all had swelling and inflammation in the area that was given the filler. A couple of the patients had cheek filler six months prior to their vaccine and one patient had lip filler done two days after the vaccine. All were treated with steroids and anti-histamines and all of their reactions resolved," she said.“

Last edited:
The friends all rode in the same car as my cousin. The way I see it is that each person’s “Bubble” is overlapping, so you are actually in contact with more than just one person. It’s not a large cottage, so I don’t imagine distancing and masks were in effect, since the masks weren’t shown in travel pictures. And obviously it’s her choice and that of whatever friends she visited to decide what they are comfortable with, which is why I would never say anything to her about it. My personal assessment of my level of risk is...if I do this and end up with Covid because I let down my guard, was it worth it? Nope!

I have some acquaintances who would frequently go out for coffee and to save gas, parking spaces, etc., people would frequently give each other rides. Once COVID started, that friendly saving and convenience stopped. When the rate of transmission was low in the summer, I did have one short ride and we masked and I did not touch anything. When the rate of transmission went up in the fall- no more. Neighbors here still talk, but people stay away from each other and cross the street to avoid contact...... the opposite of what used to be friendly. Basically have not been in others' cars or houses since March.... so not sure what your cousin was thinking. Hope that she stays safe.

Another new coronavirus variant found in Nigeria, says Africa CDC

NAIROBI (Reuters) -Another new variant of the novel coronavirus seems to have emerged in Nigeria, the head of Africa's disease control body said on Thursday, cautioning more investigation was needed.

The news comes after Britain and South Africa both reported new variants of the SARS-CoV-2 virus that appear to be more contagious, leading to new travel restrictions and turmoil in markets.

"It's a separate lineage from the UK and the South African lineages," John Nkengasong, director of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) told an online news conference from Addis Ababa.

BBM from above:

"”It's a separate lineage from the UK and the South African lineages," John Nkengasong, director of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) told an online news conference from Addis Ababa.“

*Adding to Notes | SARS-CoV-2: Strains, Mutations, Variants, Lineages:
Live Q&A on the new #COVID19 virus variant with WHO, @covidgenomicUK, and @sangerinstitute experts / Dec. 23, 2020

Are there different strains of the SARS-CoV-2 virus circulating?
June 10, 2020

What is a virus ‘strain’?
When scientists use the word strain, they are referring to a genetically distinct virus lineage, distinguishable by one or more mutations from another strain. Strains may or may not be biologically (functionally) distinguishable from one another and some virologists use the term strain only for the former. Two strains would be biologically different if they elicited different responses from the human immune system, or if they varied in their transmission characteristics.

What are viral mutations?
When a virus infects a cell and begins making copies of itself, it starts by replicating its genetic information, which for the COVID-19 virus is encoded in an RNA molecule. More complex organisms have a variety of “proof-reading” mechanisms to ensure high-fidelity replication; however, these are less developed in RNA viruses where the process is particularly error-prone, leading to a relatively rapid accumulation of mutations over time. SARS-CoV-2 does carry some proof-reading enzymes and its mutation rate is lower than many other RNA viruses, such as influenza virus, norovirus and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
—-

June 15, 2020
COVID-19 Will Mutate — What That Means for a Vaccine

“More infectious

A new study from the Scripps Research Institute in Florida suggests the new coronavirus has mutated into a variant that’s more infectious.

The mutation — named “the D614G mutation” — occurred on the spike protein, the part of the virus that helps it bind and fuse to our cells. The D614G mutation makes it easier for the virus to infect our cells.

The Scripps researchers aren’t the first to identify the tiny mutation on the spike protein.

In March, researchers from the Los Alamos National Laboratory announced they detected the D614G mutation, and that it was likely responsible for most infections reported in Europe and the United States.

In total, the researchers identified 14 strains of SARS-CoV-2 and released their findings to help those working on vaccines and treatments.

That being said, the new dominant strain identified does seem to be more infectious in laboratory settings. Scientists are now trying to understand how the variation behaves in the body — which may be very different from lab settings.”

June 30, 2020
Mutated COVID-19 Viral Strain in U.S. and Europe 10 Times More Contagious than Original Strain | BioSpace

“The mutation does not appear to make the virus any more deadly than it already is, but it does appear to make it significantly more contagious. The original strain in China is dubbed D614, while the one found in the UK, Italy and North America by May is dubbed G614.

July 16, 2020
Second Coronavirus Strain May Be More Infectious—but Some Scientists Are Skeptical

“The paper indicates that a single amino acid change from D (aspartic acid) to G (glycine) on the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein(which such viruses use to grab onto human cells) is the key to how infectious the pathogen is. “The spike protein has a critically important role in the biology of the virus,” says Bette Korber, a computational biologist at the Los Alamos National Laboratory and lead author of the new paper.

Korber and her colleagues came to this conclusion after employing multiple approaches to examine the two strains. First, they performed a statistical analysis that showed how the mutated virus—often referred to as the “G strain”—achieved dominance across multiple continents, outperforming the coexisting original version of SARS-CoV-2, or “D strain.” Then the researchers tested the amount of the virus in individuals with COVID-19 at the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in England. The results showed that the G strain produced more of the virus in the human body than the D strain. But the former did not lead to a higher hospitalization rate, meaning it apparently did not cause more severe illnesses. Lastly, the team members created “pseudotype” pathogens by embedding SARS-CoV-2 spike proteins, containing either D or G amino acids, into other disease-causing viruses...”

Aug. 3, 2020
The six strains of SARS-CoV-2

“Source:
Università di Bologna
Summary:
The virus causing the COVID-19 pandemic, SARS-CoV-2, presents at least six strains. Despite its mutations, the virus shows little variability, and this is good news for the researchers working on a viable vaccine.“

Sept. 8, 2020

“In April, Korber, Montefiori and others warned in a preprint posted to the bioRxiv server that “D614G is increasing in frequency at an alarming rate”1. It had rapidly become the dominant SARS-CoV-2 lineage in Europe and had then taken hold in the United States, Canada and Australia. D614G represented a “more transmissible form of SARS-CoV-2”, the paper declared, one that had emerged as a product of natural selection.“

Oct. 30, 2020
Coronavirus mutation may have made it more contagious

“Source:
University of Texas at Austin
Summary:
A study involving more than 5,000 COVID-19 patients in Houston finds that the virus that causes the disease is accumulating genetic mutations, one of which may have made it more contagious. This mirrors a study published in July that found that around the world, viral strains with the same genetic mutation quickly outcompeted other strains.

A study involving more than 5,000 COVID-19 patients in Houston finds that the virus that causes the disease is accumulating genetic mutations, one of which may have made it more contagious. According to the paper published in the peer-reviewed journal mBIO, that mutation, called D614G, is located in the spike protein that pries open our cells for viral entry. It's the largest peer-reviewed study of SARS-CoV-2 genome sequences in one metropolitan region of the U.S. to date.”

[...]

“A study published in July based on more than 28,000 genome sequences found that variants carrying the D614G mutation became the globally dominant form of SARS-CoV-2 in about a month.”

[...]

“Natural selection would favor strains of the virus that transmit more easily. But not all scientists are convinced. Some have suggested another explanation, called "founder's effects." In that scenario, the D614G mutation might have been more common in the first viruses to arrive in Europe and North America, essentially giving them a head start on other strains.“

RAPID RISK ASSESSMENT
Detection of new SARS-CoV-2 variants related to mink
12 November 2020
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/RRA-SARS-CoV-2-in-mink-12-nov-2020.pdf

“The mutation Y453F”

SARS-CoV-2 mink-associated variant strain – Denmark
6 November 2020

“Since June 2020, 214 human cases of COVID-19 have been identified in Denmark with SARS-CoV-2 variants associated with farmed minks, including 12 cases with a unique variant, reported on 5 November. All 12 cases were identified in September 2020 in North Jutland, Denmark. The cases ranged in age from 7 to 79 years, and eight had a link to the mink farming industry and four cases were from the local community.

Initial observations suggest that the clinical presentation, severity and transmission among those infected are similar to that of other circulating SARS-CoV-2 viruses. However, this variant, referred to as the "cluster 5" variant, had a combination of mutations, or changes that have not been previously observed. The implications of the identified changes in this variant are not yet well understood. Preliminary findings indicate that this particular mink-associated variant identified in both minks and the 12 human cases has moderately decreased sensitivity to neutralizing antibodies. Further scientific and laboratory-based studies are required to verify preliminary findings reported and to understand any potential implications of this finding in terms of diagnostics, therapeutics and vaccines in development. In the meantime, actions are being taken by Danish authorities to limit the further spread of this variant of the virus among mink and human populations.“

WHO / SARS-CoV-2 mink-associated variant strain – Denmark / Nov. 6, 2020

https://www.oie.int/fileadmin/Home/...E_on_Sars-CoV-2_in_Denmark_5_november2020.pdf
Nov. 5, 2020
—-

Nov. 13, 2020
Study: New Mutation Sped Up Spread of Coronavirus

“Compared to the original strain, people infected with the new strain -- called 614G -- have higher viral loads in their nose and throat, though they don’t seem to get any sicker. But they are much more contagious to others.“

Dec. 15, 2020
New coronavirus strain spreading in UK has key mutations, scientists say

“The new variant, which UK scientists have named “VUI – 202012/01” includes a mutation in the viral genome region encoding the spike protein, which - in theory - could result in COVID-19 spreading more easily between people.”

[...]

“As of Dec. 13, 1,108 COVID-19 cases with the new variant had been identified, predominantly in the south and east of England, Public Health England said in a statement.

But there is currently no evidence that the variant is more likely to cause severe COVID-19 infections, the scientists said, or that it would render vaccines less effective.“

Severe COVID variant detected in South Africa, health minister says

“Known as the 501.V2 Variant, it was identified by South African researchers and details have been sent to the World Health Organization, Zwelini Mkhize said in a statement.“

[...]

“The research team, led by Tulio de Oliveira, has shared its findings with the scientific community and alerted authorities in Britain, who have “studied their own samples and found that a similar mutation… was the variant that was driving their resurgence in London,” he said.”

@DrZweliMkhize
Dec 18

Karim: This new 501.V2 variant has become dominant in South Africa. This new variant has 3 mutations. #SARSCOV2MediaBriefing

South Africa identifies new coronavirus strain causing surge in cases

““The evidence that has been collated, therefore, strongly suggests that the current second wave we are experiencing is being driven by this new variant,” Mkhize added.”

New Variant of SARS-CoV-2 Frequently Asked Questions - NICD
Dec. 19, 2020

“Q What is the new SARS-CoV-2 variant?
A This new variant of the virus was discovered through routine genomic surveillance of SARS-CoV-2 performed by a network of laboratories around the country (Network for Genomic Surveillance South Africa, NGS-SA). The new variant has been identified in almost 200 samples collected from over 50 different health facilities in Eastern Cape, Western Cape and KwaZulu- Natal. The new variant is different from the others that were circulating in South Africa because it has multiple mutations (changes) in the spike protein – this is the very important part of the virus that binds to the receptor on the cells inside our body and that is also the main target for many of the antibodies produced during infection or after vaccination. Work is being done to understand what effect these mutations have on the behaviour of the virus and our body’s response to it - particularly whether it makes the virus spread more easily, whether it might lead to more severe COVID-19, and whether the virus can evade our immune response.

Q What is the geographical distribution of this mutation?
A The variant was first identified in Nelson Mandela Bay but has rapidly spread through the rest of the Eastern Cape and to the Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal provinces. Testing in other provinces is being undertaken to understand the extent of geographical spread but it is likely that this variant has spread to other provinces too.”

[...]

Q Is this the same or different to the London variant?
A It is definitely not the same variant, but there are similarities as they both share the same change in the spike protein at the 501 position. What it does tell us is that if we do not control the spread of the virus then it is likely to evolve in similar ways in different parts of the world.”

UK Variant:

“The variant that’s being discussed was first identified in September...” - Alex Azar | source

In the WHO Press Briefing from Monday, Dec. 21, 2020, Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove comments about the UK VUI / source:
  • It has a number of mutations that was identified through genomic sequencing, which is carried out across the country.

• The Variant Under Investigation was reported to WHO on 14th December, following detail analysis that the UK had done in the southeast of England, looking at their epidemiologic surveillance data and their laboratory data, noting an increase in transmission at the end of Nov/Dec, while interventions were in place.

• They did some file genetic analysis and identified this variant, “they’re calling it the “B-117 lineage which includes this mutation at the N501Y site”.
  • She also said the reproductive number went up by .4, increasing from 1.1 to 1.5.

• Also note it was originally referred to as “VUI-202012/01”:
    * From above notes, “Dec. 15, 2020: New coronavirus strain spreading in UK has key mutations, scientists say “The new variant, which UK scientists have named “VUI – 202012/01” includes a mutation in the viral genome region encoding the spike protein, which - in theory - could result in COVID-19 spreading more easily between people.”...“As of Dec. 13, 1,108 COVID-19 cases with the new variant had been identified, predominantly in the south and east of England, Public Health England said in a statement.“
Additionally, the reporter specifically asks if there is a connection between the two new variants from UK and South Africa:

21:00 | Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove:

“So, at the same time, there was another variant that was identified in South Africa, and it has one of the same mutations, this 501Y mutation but a different variant. They have arisen at the same time but it is a separate variant.”

BBC Video: “doctors are reporting more young people who are seriously ill”; also, per Matt Hancock, this new South Africa variant is highly concerning because it appears to have mutated further than the one discovered in the UK.
source

Another new coronavirus variant found in Nigeria, says Africa CDC

"”It's a separate lineage from the UK and the South African lineages," John Nkengasong, director of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) told an online news conference from Addis Ababa.“

Home – Africa CDC

Home – Africa CDC

BBC Video: “doctors are reporting more young people who are seriously ill”; also, per Matt Hancock, this new South Africa variant is highly concerning because it appears to have mutated further than the one discovered in the UK.
source

Last edited:
I sincerely hope everyone here has a good Christmas, whatever that looks like for you. Mine is very different with no extended family visits. I keep reminding myself it is just one year. I am super thankful for each and every poster. You have helped me keep my sanity over the past 9 months. Hoping and praying for a better 2021.

• The United States will begin requiring people flying in from the U.K. to test negative for Covid-19 no more than 72 hours before departure, the CDC said in a late Thursday statement.
  • The CDC said President Donald Trump will sign the order on Friday, Christmas Day. It will go into effect starting Monday.
  • Earlier this week, the U.K. said it identified a new strain of Covid-19 that appears to spread more quickly.

U.S. to require people flying from the UK to test negative for Covid, CDC says

• The United States will begin requiring people flying in from the U.K. to test negative for Covid-19 no more than 72 hours before departure, the CDC said in a late Thursday statement.
U.S. to require people flying from the UK to test negative for Covid, CDC says
This is the same standard used in planned hospitalizations in my area (Houston.) All those admitted urgently are tested at admission.

Would it be safer to test all passengers again before boarding? The tests results wouldn’t be known immediately but any infection that slipped through could be traced.

This is the same standard used in planned hospitalizations in my area (Houston.) All those admitted urgently are tested at admission.

Would it be safer to test all passengers again before boarding? The tests results wouldn’t be known immediately but any infection that slipped through could be traced.

Back in late October, United started pre-flight covid testing in SF airport for people flying to Hawaii. On-the-spot rapid tests that took about 15-30 minutes for results.

I don't know why all airlines are not doing this for every flight. Yes, it would be a pain in the buttski, and it would take longer at the airport ... but until people get themselves vaccinated, why not?

It would (apparently) cost about $250 on top of your airfare. But maybe it would stop people just flying willy-nilly and spreading the virus.

Itching To Travel? Preflight Coronavirus Tests Are Getting Passengers In The Air

The Premier of my state wanted this for all travellers to Australia and brought it up at National Cabinet (meeting of all our state leaders), in hopes that every state would agree. But National Cabinet nixxed the idea, for whatever reason ... I still don't understand why.

To me, it makes sense as an additional measure to prevent people who know they have covid, or are asymptomatic, from getting on planes.

National Cabinet urged to introduce pre-flight coronavirus testing for returning travellers

Last edited:
WHO
10 global health issues to track in 2021
24 December 2020

—-

Africa:

Home – Africa CDC

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Latest updates on the COVID-19 crisis from Africa CDC.
Africa CDC - COVID-19 Daily Updates

“Scientists are still learning about the disease, and think that the virus began in animals. At some point, one or more humans acquired infection from an animal, and those infected humans began transmitting infection to other humans.
The disease spreads from person to person through infected air droplets that are projected during sneezing or coughing. It can also be transmitted when humans have contact with hands or surfaces that contain the virus and touch their eyes, nose, or mouth with the contaminated hands.

COVID-19 was first reported in China, but it has now spread throughout the world.“

Africa CDC Dashboard | Region | All

Cases

Deaths

Recoveries

—-

News – Africa CDC

Statement on new SARS-CoV-2 variant with multiple spike protein mutations – Africa CDC
22 DECEMBER 2020

“ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA, 22 DECEMBER 2020. The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) wishes to raise awareness of Member States regarding the new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, which was reported in South Africa and the United Kingdom over the past week. Africa CDC is closely following up with authorities in South Africa, where the variant was first identified in Nelson Mandela Bay and has rapidly spread through the Eastern and Western Capes, as well as KwaZulu-Natal.

This new variant is defined by multiple non-synonymous mutations in the spike (S) protein. Three of these mutations are located on the receptor-binding domain (RBD) of the spike protein – the most notable being the N501Y mutation on the receptor binding motif that binds to the human Angiotensin Converting Enzyme-2 (ACE2) receptor.

Preliminary analyses from South Africa and the United Kingdom suggest that this new variant may be associated with increased transmissibility and a higher viral load than the previously circulating variants.

However, researchers are conducting further investigations on this new N501Y variant to determine if it is more infectious, more transmissible, or has the potential to cause more severe illness. Research is also being conducted to assess the impact of the mutations on the performance of existing molecular diagnostics, serological assays, therapeutics, and vaccines.”

“On 21 December, Africa CDC convened an emergency meeting of the Africa Taskforce on Coronavirus Response (AFTCOR), where the Network for Genomics Surveillance in South Africa, led by Prof. Tulio de Olivera and Prof. Salim Abdool Karim, shared findings from South Africa. The meeting discussed what is known, what is not known, and what needs to be done about this new variant. The Taskforce recommends the following:

• Africa CDC Institute for Pathogen Genomics (IPG) should immediately coordinate further actions by a continental network of clinical laboratory centres of excellence to enhance surveillance of the new variant virus.
  • Member States should enhance implementation of ongoing public health and social measures to prevent further transmission of COVID-19, including correct and consistent mask-wearing, physical distancing and hand hygiene.
  • There is no immediate need to restrict trade and travel across the continent, because travellers across the continent now require a negative virologic test (PCR or Antigen test) before they can travel.
  • All stakeholders should support and contribute to the rapid sharing of data across the continent.“
—-

“Recommendations to Member States and health authorities

Coincidentally, the news of this variant has come when the continent is also experiencing a second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic. Therefore, Africa CDC advises that Member States reinforce their efforts to increase testing, contact tracing and early treatment of cases while we seek to gain more insight about the impact this new variant could have on testing accuracy, clinical outcomes and vaccine efficacy.

Specifically, we recommend that:

1. Member States increase general awareness of the new variant and take timely measures to monitor, prevent and control its spread.
  2. Public health laboratories and researchers should strengthen collaboration and coordination with national and regional pathogen genomics laboratories in order to conduct genomic surveillance and sequencing of the virus in a timely manner. The Africa CDC IPG, through the Africa Pathogen Genomics Initiative, will support this coordination at the continental level.
  3. Member States should notify Africa CDC immediately if they identify any new SARS-CoV-2 variant.
  4. Member States should enhance community-based surveillance for early identification of hotspots and continue to encourage community members to adhere to public health and social measures for their protection.
  5. Member States and Africa CDC Regional Collaborating Centres should enhance surveillance and cross-border health measures at ports of entry, but there is no immediate need for restrictions on travel and trade.
Africa CDC will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates to Member States and the public as more information becomes available about this SARS-CoV-2 variant.“

Additional resources

Information on the U.K. lineage is available the COVID-10 Genomics UK Consortium Website (https://www.cogconsortium.uk/news/) and on virological.org website (Preliminary genomic characterisation of an emergent SARS-CoV-2 lineage in the UK defined by a novel set of spike mutations)

(- adding to previous notes on strains, mutations, variants)
—-

Landmark alliance launches in Africa to fight COVID-19 misinformation – Africa CDC
Dec. 3, 2020
—-

Democratic Republic of Congo celebrates end of 11th Ebola Virus Disease outbreak
Nov. 18, 2020

WS /
Africa Thread

Last edited:
WHO
10 global health issues to track in 2021
24 December 2020

—-

Africa:
Home – Africa CDC

—-
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Latest updates on the COVID-19 crisis from Africa CDC.
Africa CDC - COVID-19 Daily Updates

“Scientists are still learning about the disease, and think that the virus began in animals. At some point, one or more humans acquired infection from an animal, and those infected humans began transmitting infection to other humans.
The disease spreads from person to person through infected air droplets that are projected during sneezing or coughing. It can also be transmitted when humans have contact with hands or surfaces that contain the virus and touch their eyes, nose, or mouth with the contaminated hands.

COVID-19 was first reported in China, but it has now spread throughout the world.“

Africa CDC Dashboard | Region | All

Cases

Deaths

Recoveries

—-

News – Africa CDC

Statement on new SARS-CoV-2 variant with multiple spike protein mutations – Africa CDC
22 DECEMBER 2020

“ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA, 22 DECEMBER 2020. The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) wishes to raise awareness of Member States regarding the new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, which was reported in South Africa and the United Kingdom over the past week. Africa CDC is closely following up with authorities in South Africa, where the variant was first identified in Nelson Mandela Bay and has rapidly spread through the Eastern and Western Capes, as well as KwaZulu-Natal.

This new variant is defined by multiple non-synonymous mutations in the spike (S) protein. Three of these mutations are located on the receptor-binding domain (RBD) of the spike protein – the most notable being the N501Y mutation on the receptor binding motif that binds to the human Angiotensin Converting Enzyme-2 (ACE2) receptor.

Preliminary analyses from South Africa and the United Kingdom suggest that this new variant may be associated with increased transmissibility and a higher viral load than the previously circulating variants.

However, researchers are conducting further investigations on this new N501Y variant to determine if it is more infectious, more transmissible, or has the potential to cause more severe illness. Research is also being conducted to assess the impact of the mutations on the performance of existing molecular diagnostics, serological assays, therapeutics, and vaccines.”

“On 21 December, Africa CDC convened an emergency meeting of the Africa Taskforce on Coronavirus Response (AFTCOR), where the Network for Genomics Surveillance in South Africa, led by Prof. Tulio de Olivera and Prof. Salim Abdool Karim, shared findings from South Africa. The meeting discussed what is known, what is not known, and what needs to be done about this new variant. The Taskforce recommends the following:

• Africa CDC Institute for Pathogen Genomics (IPG) should immediately coordinate further actions by a continental network of clinical laboratory centres of excellence to enhance surveillance of the new variant virus.
  • Member States should enhance implementation of ongoing public health and social measures to prevent further transmission of COVID-19, including correct and consistent mask-wearing, physical distancing and hand hygiene.
  • There is no immediate need to restrict trade and travel across the continent, because travellers across the continent now require a negative virologic test (PCR or Antigen test) before they can travel.
  • All stakeholders should support and contribute to the rapid sharing of data across the continent.“
—-

“Recommendations to Member States and health authorities

Coincidentally, the news of this variant has come when the continent is also experiencing a second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic. Therefore, Africa CDC advises that Member States reinforce their efforts to increase testing, contact tracing and early treatment of cases while we seek to gain more insight about the impact this new variant could have on testing accuracy, clinical outcomes and vaccine efficacy.

Specifically, we recommend that:

1. Member States increase general awareness of the new variant and take timely measures to monitor, prevent and control its spread.
  2. Public health laboratories and researchers should strengthen collaboration and coordination with national and regional pathogen genomics laboratories in order to conduct genomic surveillance and sequencing of the virus in a timely manner. The Africa CDC IPG, through the Africa Pathogen Genomics Initiative, will support this coordination at the continental level.
  3. Member States should notify Africa CDC immediately if they identify any new SARS-CoV-2 variant.
  4. Member States should enhance community-based surveillance for early identification of hotspots and continue to encourage community members to adhere to public health and social measures for their protection.
  5. Member States and Africa CDC Regional Collaborating Centres should enhance surveillance and cross-border health measures at ports of entry, but there is no immediate need for restrictions on travel and trade.
Africa CDC will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates to Member States and the public as more information becomes available about this SARS-CoV-2 variant.“

—-

Additional resources

Information on the U.K. lineage is available the COVID-10 Genomics UK Consortium Website (https://www.cogconsortium.uk/news/) and on virological.org website (Preliminary genomic characterisation of an emergent SARS-CoV-2 lineage in the UK defined by a novel set of spike mutations)
—-

Landmark alliance launches in Africa to fight COVID-19 misinformation – Africa CDC
Dec. 3, 2020
—-

Democratic Republic of Congo celebrates end of 11th Ebola Virus Disease outbreak
Nov. 18, 2020

They are just saying on our evening news that over 1/4 of covid tests are now returning a positive result in South Africa. Over 25% positivity.

Also, South Korea is battling a huge surge of infections. Many dying before they can get a hospital bed. They are saying the blame lies in complacency, the lack of attention on hospital capacity, and no lockdowns. Also, South Korea has been really slow in signing up for the purchase of foreign vaccines.

Source Ch24 TV News

They are just saying on our evening news that over 1/4 of covid tests are now returning a positive result in South Africa. Over 25% positivity.

Also, South Korea is battling a huge surge of infections. Many dying before they can get a hospital bed. They are saying the blame lies in complacency, the lack of attention on hospital capacity, and no lockdowns. Also, South Korea has been really slow in signing up for the purchase of foreign vaccines.

Source Ch24 TV News
And SK did so well early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members