Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #91

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82 Thread #83 Thread #84 Thread #85 Thread #86 Thread #87 Thread #88 Thread #89 Thread #90

Members' Covid-19 Post-Vaccination Questions & Answers *NO GENERAL DISCUSSION*

COVID-19 and Mental Health

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the new thread @Sillybilly.

I hope it’s okay to bring forward this very important post from the last thread I was just working on:

It is imperative IMO that there is more social awareness about this / bolded in red:

A COVID-related illness is sickening a growing number of children in California

BBM:

“A CDC report from August said that obesity was the most commonly reported underlying medical condition among children with MIS-C. However, two-thirds of the children diagnosed at that time did not have preexisting conditions, the report showed.

Vasquez said that Xitlali had been given a clean bill of health at her checkup in January. After her bout with MIS-C, she has developed Type 1 diabetes, which Vasquez thinks is in part because of an inflammation in her pancreas related to MIS-C.”

[...]

“Health experts say early treatment is key to mitigating the severity of MIS-C. A combination of limited information about the illness, avoidance of hospitals and doctor’s offices amid the pandemic and the fact that initial symptoms often present in the GI tract — similar to the flu — has left some children in the emergency room after mild symptoms turn severe.

“Please do not delay in seeking care for your child if they are ill,” Szmuszkovicz said. “Length of stay is going to be shorter if we can get inflammation under control earlier.””

[...]

““Our kids get sick and we want to treat them with home remedies and Tylenol without knowing that they could die without taking them to the right place,” she said.“

(Link to MIS-C Thread)

Now I know 3 people who have had the vaccine.
A pediatric nurse practioner
A labor and delivery nurse BSN
(Who helped deliver
Georgia's 1st baby of the New Year "Leo" at Northside Hospital in Cherokee County GA @ 00:00.)
A pediatric office manager.
All were literally on pins and needles waiting and wanting to get it!
I have a picture of the nurse (who I know) and the OB, with the proud new parents, but no link so...
Georgia hospitals welcome first babies of 2021
Moo

Jeremy Clarkson (British TV presenter) has had Covid over Christmas. I saw this quote of a quote from his doctor:

'The doctor was very clear' the presenter recalled in his column. 'I'd feel under the weather for between five and 14 days and then I'd either get better or I'd have to go to hospital. Where, because I am 60 and fat, and because I've smoked half a million cigarettes and had double pneumonia, I'd probably die, on my own, in a lonely plastic tent.'

Jeremy Clarkson, 60, reveals he battled COVID-19 over Christmas | Daily Mail Online

Benjamin Wilson, a Louisiana native who lives in the Chinese city where the Covid-19 virus was first identified a year ago, is watching the unfolding crisis back home with disappointment.

"I would be very afraid if I were living in the States," said Wilson, who has lived in Wuhan, the sprawling capital of Hubei province, for almost two decades. "I didn't really think that I would be where I'm at now, worried more about my family than myself."

The contrast between his homeland and his adopted home is stark, the English teacher said. Although he endured more than 70 days of strict lockdown, that at times made him feel almost "imprisoned," being shuttered indoors was a sacrifice that has paid off, he said.
The 34-year-old teacher who has lived in Wuhan since 2009, returned to the city with his family in March after baptizing his infant son in upstate New York.

"Just the feeling of being in Wuhan, it's like it's such a success story in the middle of a horror story," he told NBC News.

Christopher Suzanne, an American, said he "unequivocally" made the right choice to return to Wuhan during the pandemic, as several of his family members in the U.S. have since contracted the virus.
"For the family, it was extremely difficult saying goodbye, not knowing when or how I'd be able to go home and see them again. But the decision in my heart was very easy," he said, eager to return to his wife's family in Wuhan.

Looking at the U.S. from a distance, Suzanne said his American compatriots seemed "so divided," that whoever was in the White House was irrelevant, if people couldn't agree on the basics of whether to wear a mask.

A year since Covid emerged, Americans in Wuhan are afraid again — for the U.S.

"Wow. So brutal.
I think I might have to log off here for awhile. This is just too much."

Sorry @Marysmith --had to cut and paste as the previous thread is closed. But I'm beginning to feel the same way. Added to that, we've know two people locally who have died from COVID (one in their 60's, one in his 50's). Both had wives and kids. So very overwhelming. We live in a rural area and it has just gotten rough here in the past month or so. I feel January will be a tough month :*(

Should an obese individual age 65 or older be vaccinated against Covid if they have Diabetes type 2? What about someone in the same age range of normal weight and good fitness but with coronary artery disease? In the state of TX individuals 65 and older are considered eligible for the vaccine. I know three individuals who meet these criteria and believe I know something. :oops:
ETA: modified to say coronary artery disease rather than cardiovascular disease.

Last edited:
Iowa numbers today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m. today, we had 709 new confirmed cases for a total of 283,144 of which 243,219 are recovering (+1,990). 48 more were reported to have passed for a total of 3,946. 88 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 572 (-3). According to KWWL, there are 35,980 active positive cases with a 24 hr. positivity rate of 34.5%.
Jan. 2: IDPH reports 48 more deaths within the last 24 hours
access Daily case totals updated at 11:00 a.m.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/01/alarm...h-care-workers-are-refusing-covid-19-vaccine/

Brought over from prior thread.

I told everyone this was going to be an issue. We’ve done a terrible job of educating about this vaccine. I don’t know if that would’ve helped, but it’s possible it would’ve helped at least some.

The way I see it, I didn’t personally want to get the vaccine, but it seemed to be the lesser of two evils at this point. And there’s at least part of me that feels like those who choose not to get it are a bit more “on their own” in terms of if they end up getting covid or not.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/01/alarm...h-care-workers-are-refusing-covid-19-vaccine/

Brought over from prior thread.

I told everyone this was going to be an issue. We’ve done a terrible job of educating about this vaccine. I don’t know if that would’ve helped, but it’s possible it would’ve helped at least some.

The way I see it, I didn’t personally want to get the vaccine, but it seemed to be the lesser of two evils at this point. And there’s at least part of me that feels like those who choose not to get it are a bit more “on their own” in terms of if they end up getting covid or not.

Personally, I think that WHO, Dr Fauci, President Elect Biden and many others have done a great job at educating about the vaccines. Perhaps people are not listening .... yet?

Just so people are aware, some are predicting that it will be the second or third week of January that the Christmas spike will show.

Ellison says unlike Thanksgiving, people spend more time together over Christmas and New Years, so while the post-holiday spike may start next week, it will likely last a lot longer than that.

"The peak is going to be the second or third week of January," Ellison said. "I really hope it begins to drop after that but so far we haven’t seen any signals of anything going in the right direction."
Mass. Field Hospital Officials Concerned as Post-Christmas COVID Spike Nears

• December 31, 2020 03:53 PM

Lisa Martin leaves the hospital
"This experience has shown me how loved I truly am," Lisa Martin tells PEOPLE

Her amazing journey includes 59 days on a ventilator, 40 days in an induced coma, and surviving a frontal lobe stroke," Memorial Satilla Health wrote on Facebook.
  • On Oct. 20, Lisa was comatose, her eyes fixed," the post continued. "The hospital called in her family to say goodbye. They decided to give it 11 days before making a decision about removing her from the ventilator that was breathing for her. But God had other plans. On the eleventh day, Lisa broke through the sedatives and began tracking Jeff with her eyes and she moved her hand.

Last edited:
It was a surprise when TX governor announced vaccines would be offered to those 65-74 as opposed to 75 and over as originally announced. People thought it would be a few months before they would be offered the vaccine and hadn’t given it much thought.

I remember those with a history of allergic reactions were cautioned after some allergic episodes but can’t remember much else. I think my acquaintances are all at risk of severe complications if they develop the infection but so far they have successfully isolated. Now they have a chance to get the vaccine but how long will it be effective? It isn’t known if they will acquire immunity or will they simply not have the symptoms but be infectious and possible spreaders? They would like to resume their social contacts but don’t know if the vaccine will facilitate that (and I didn’t know.)

maybe someone else can shed some light.

Personally, I think that WHO, Dr Fauci, President Elect Biden and many others have done a great job at educating about the vaccines. Perhaps people are not listening .... yet?
If this is the case, why do we have people even here not grasping how you can get the vaccine and still test positive for covid a few days later, and this has nothing whatsoever to do with the vaccine working or not?

There are A LOT of people that are still afraid this vaccine can alter a person’s DNA. For a lay person who doesn’t grasp basic cell biology, I can see why this would freak people out. Where’s the education push, the printed material going out to people, posters, commercials, etc etc etc? It needs to be presented on about a 5th grade level. Simple. Straight forward. Easy to understand.

Dr. Seheult @shadowdancer has a new 39 minute video out today.

If You Get COVID 19: Optimize Immune System (Vitamin D, Monoclonal Antibodies, NAC, Quercetin etc.)
Professor Roger Seheult, MD gives practical strategies if you test positive for COVID-19 (or are in contact with someone who tests positive) including: - Use of a pulse oximeter at home to monitor oxygen saturation - Who qualifies for monoclonal antibodies (bamlanivimab, casirivimab, and imdevimab from Lily and Regeneron)? - Vitamins that may boost immune function: Vitamin D, NAC, Vitamin C, Quercetin, Zinc - The importance of adequate sleep (Melatonin discussed) - Core body temperature elevation (the data on hydrotherapy and sauna use) - Isolation strategies at home: ventilation, HEPA filtration, mask-wearing

Last edited:
It was a surprise when TX governor announced vaccines would be offered to those 65-74 as opposed to 75 and over as originally announced. People thought it would be a few months before they would be offered the vaccine and hadn’t given it much thought.

I remember those with a history of allergic reactions were cautioned after some allergic episodes but can’t remember much else. I think my acquaintances are all at risk of severe complications if they develop the infection but so far they have successfully isolated. Now they have a chance to get the vaccine but how long will it be effective? It isn’t known if they will acquire immunity or will they simply not have the symptoms but be infectious and possible spreaders? They would like to resume their social contacts but don’t know if the vaccine will facilitate that (and I didn’t know.)

maybe someone else can shed some light.
The short answer is we don’t know for sure if the vaccine stops a person from transmitting the virus as effectively as it stops a person from developing severe symptoms. There is much talk about how to study this very question.

Honestly? We might get better vaccine compliance in the US if the vaccine only protects the person vaccinated. JMHO.

If this is the case, why do we have people even here not grasping how you can get the vaccine and still test positive for covid a few days later, and this has nothing whatsoever to do with the vaccine working or not?

There are A LOT of people that are still afraid this vaccine can alter a person’s DNA. For a lay person who doesn’t grasp basic cell biology, I can see why this would freak people out. Where’s the education push, the printed material going out to people, posters, commercials, etc etc etc? It needs to be presented on about a 5th grade level. Simple. Straight forward. Easy to understand.
I imagine that most of those people were vaccinated and had their children vaccinated, so why now are they worried that a vaccine will alter their DNA? I don't think that they have any idea of what that means but have just heard it somewhere.

The short answer is we don’t know for sure if the vaccine stops a person from transmitting the virus as effectively as it stops a person from developing severe symptoms. There is much talk about how to study this very question.

Honestly? We might get better vaccine compliance in the US if the vaccine only protects the person vaccinated. JMHO.
Can you not see how, that if it stops people from dying or having long lasting complications is useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xxxooowow