Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #91

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One year later reflection:

For those who didn’t wear masks, superspreaded, defied, denied, made a matter of public health political, disregarded scientists, when we all begged...you’ve got blood on your hands. And don’t ever forget it, because we won’t.

Britain Opens Door to Mix-and-Match Vaccinations, Worrying Experts

If a second dose of one vaccine isn’t available, another may be substituted, according to the guidelines.

The US publication reported that UK health officials were allowing patients to be given a second dose that is different to their first.

Fiona Godlee said there was no such recommendation to mix and match.

The UK has approved the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab.

Ms Godlee said the paper's report was "seriously misleading and requires urgent correction".

She said the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) does not make any recommendation to mix and match.

Coronavirus: BMJ urges NYT to correct vaccine 'mixing' article

Australia to trial 'backup' COVID-19 vaccines that can be modified to fight virus mutations

Researchers behind a clinical trial of two COVID-19 vaccines in Australia say they will be able to modify the vaccinations if mutations of the virus occur.

Professor Nolan said the two vaccines being trialled — an mRNA-based vaccine and a recombinant protein vaccine — were more targeted and could be rapidly modified in case of virus mutation.

"This new variant looks like it's much more transmissible," Professor Nolan said.
"Fortunately, it does not yet look like it's going to be a problem for the vaccines.
"[But] if a variant occurs … it's possible the vaccines won't work as well and so it will be necessary to be able to retune the vaccines without completely rebuilding them so that you can adjust to them when mutations occur."

Australia to trial 'backup' COVID-19 vaccines that can be modified to fight virus mutations

Wow. That's pretty cynical - and my experience of healthcare workers is that they are not so selfish as many people we see defying masks (etc) in public.

In fact, I'd say most of them are very caring, but uneducated. And they hear things about this virus that make them think it was hurried through.

BTW, there's a lot of optimism that this is in fact a set of sterilizing vaccines. You are correct that we don't know yet, it seems clear that *some* people are unable to either get or transmit COVID after getting the vaccine (this was demonstrated in the trials in Brazil and Arizona and elsewhere - and I think we'll see the same with the further trials).

I would say that each of us should behave as if we can still transmit COVID (wear masks, social distance, etc) even after vaccination, but there are many reasons to believe that this vaccine, like many others, is sterilizing and not just providing immunity to the person vaccinated.

I would never recommend lying about science. We should not tell people that they are the only ones protect - I don't think selfishness works like that anyway.

What it tells me is that they're talking amongst themselves, and they've been doing so since the virus arrived. I'm reminded again of the fake vaccination of the nurse that was discovered.

But, it's more widespread than that -- the distrust of government in the US is now causing minorities to reconsider getting the vaccine. And, sadly, minority communities are among the hardest hit by the virus.

Members of Congress are sending mixed messages about taking the vaccine.

Spain is creating a list of everyone who refuses to take the vaccine and is threatening to share it with other nations. It's probably a bad idea to advertise that as it will make the skeptical even more skeptical.

In Ohio, fully 60% of nursing home workers refused the vaccine.

I have to wonder how it will go when inmates start being vaccinated? While some jobs may be able to require vaccination, with Title VII exceptions, it will be virtually impossible to vaccinate an inmate who doesn't want to be vaccinated due to the medical rights they're afforded.

We've had poor messaging about the virus from day one, and we can't go back and correct it n0w. Only time will tell if Biden/Harris messaging will convince the currently unconvinced.

Meanwhile, no one can give me any sort of timeline when my elderly mother will get a chance to be vaccinated. Lovely.

Covid in Scotland: Scottish cabinet to consider further measures

The Scottish cabinet will meet on Monday to consider further measures to help tackle coronavirus, BBC Scotland has learned.

The Scottish government also wants parliament recalled so First Minister Nicola Sturgeon can make a statement.

BBC Scotland's political editor Glenn Campbell says ministers are worried by the rapid spread of the new strain of Covid.

Ms Sturgeon said the new variant was "accelerating spread" across Scotland.

She warned on Friday that the next few weeks could be the most dangerous period for Scotland since March in the fight against Covid.

I guess this is too long and too hard for people to listen to (1 min 13 secs) to educate themselves about the vaccines.
And right there on FaceBook.
So many people are doing so much to educate and inform people. But some people are just not looking or listening.

COVID-19 vaccines - will they be safe?
WHO Chief Scientis, Dr Soumya Swaminathan, explains why COVID-19 vaccines are able to be developed so fast

How COVID-19 vaccines are able to be developed so fast?

• A 36-year-old nursing home employee in North Carolina who became so paranoid she believed her three children would be kidnapped and, to save them, tried to pass them through a fast-food restaurant’s drive-through window
  • A 30-year-old construction worker in New York City who became so delusional that he imagined his cousin was going to murder him, and, to protect himself, he tried to strangle his cousin in bed
  • A 55-year-old woman in Britain had hallucinations of monkeys and a lion and became convinced a family member had been replaced by an impostor
  • Beyond individual reports, a British study of neurological or psychiatric complications in 153 patients hospitalised with COVID-19 found that 10 people had “new-onset psychosis”
  • Another study identified 10 such patients in one hospital in Spain
  • And in COVID-related social media groups, medical professionals discuss seeing patients with similar symptoms in the Midwest, Great Plains and elsewhere.
Physically, most of these patients didn’t get very sick from COVID-19, reports indicate.
Then, two weeks to several months later, he said, they “develop this profound psychosis, which is really dangerous and scary to all of the people around them”.

Also striking is that most patients have been in their 30s, 40s and 50s.

Small number of COVID patients develop severe psychotic symptoms

• A 36-year-old nursing home employee in North Carolina who became so paranoid she believed her three children would be kidnapped and, to save them, tried to pass them through a fast-food restaurant’s drive-through window
  • A 30-year-old construction worker in New York City who became so delusional that he imagined his cousin was going to murder him, and, to protect himself, he tried to strangle his cousin in bed
  • A 55-year-old woman in Britain had hallucinations of monkeys and a lion and became convinced a family member had been replaced by an impostor
  • Beyond individual reports, a British study of neurological or psychiatric complications in 153 patients hospitalised with COVID-19 found that 10 people had “new-onset psychosis”
  • Another study identified 10 such patients in one hospital in Spain
  • And in COVID-related social media groups, medical professionals discuss seeing patients with similar symptoms in the Midwest, Great Plains and elsewhere.
Physically, most of these patients didn’t get very sick from COVID-19, reports indicate.
Then, two weeks to several months later, he said, they “develop this profound psychosis, which is really dangerous and scary to all of the people around them”.

Also striking is that most patients have been in their 30s, 40s and 50s.

Small number of COVID patients develop severe psychotic symptoms

That's frightening :eek:

What it tells me is that they're talking amongst themselves, and they've been doing so since the virus arrived. I'm reminded again of the fake vaccination of the nurse that was discovered.

But, it's more widespread than that -- the distrust of government in the US is now causing minorities to reconsider getting the vaccine. And, sadly, minority communities are among the hardest hit by the virus.

Members of Congress are sending mixed messages about taking the vaccine.

Spain is creating a list of everyone who refuses to take the vaccine and is threatening to share it with other nations. It's probably a bad idea to advertise that as it will make the skeptical even more skeptical.

In Ohio, fully 60% of nursing home workers refused the vaccine.

I have to wonder how it will go when inmates start being vaccinated? While some jobs may be able to require vaccination, with Title VII exceptions, it will be virtually impossible to vaccinate an inmate who doesn't want to be vaccinated due to the medical rights they're afforded.

We've had poor messaging about the virus from day one, and we can't go back and correct it n0w. Only time will tell if Biden/Harris messaging will convince the currently unconvinced.

Meanwhile, no one can give me any sort of timeline when my elderly mother will get a chance to be vaccinated. Lovely.

My mom is 94. I hear ya. Meanwhile, 25 year old part time city employees are line jumping here. :mad: I haven't even started making noise about this. JMO

Further restrictions not ruled out, says Varadkar as hospitals under 'extreme pressure'

Ireland

Tánaiste Leo Varadkar said the “explosion of cases” is “very alarming” and that it will not be feasible to end restrictions if Ireland still has a 5-day average of 800 cases per day at end of January.

“If patients continue to be admitted at the rate they’re currently being admitted then we will run into difficulties later on in January,” he said.

Speaking on RTÉ This Week he said it’s not possible to rule out additional restrictions, but that more time is needed to give current restrictions time to work.

He said there is a strong case for leaving current restrictions in place until those most at risk are vaccinated, “even if that means going well into February”.

If this is the case, why do we have people even here not grasping how you can get the vaccine and still test positive for covid a few days later, and this has nothing whatsoever to do with the vaccine working or not?

There are A LOT of people that are still afraid this vaccine can alter a person’s DNA. For a lay person who doesn’t grasp basic cell biology, I can see why this would freak people out. Where’s the education push, the printed material going out to people, posters, commercials, etc etc etc? It needs to be presented on about a 5th grade level. Simple. Straight forward. Easy to understand.

I am not disagreeing with you, but oh how sad sad sad. If you are afraid... GO LEARN SOME THINGS.

Seriously, if people would just TRY to ask themselves "Do I really care about my fellow man as much as myself?", maybe I should learn something--myself.

The 15 year-old movie, Idiocracy, is our new America....

Ha! Video in last hour, Dr. Campbell talks about what to wear for a vaccination and shows off his muscles in a t-shirt for today's video. hahahaha

32 minutes... and he's saying pretty pathetic as to movement of vaccinations in the US and overviews the live tracker etc. And France has only vaccinated 352 people (not thousand... but 352). 10.5% of Israel has been vaccinated and are leading the pack as he works his way around the world as to figures.

ETA oopsie... here is correct link

ETA: There is going to be a joint YouTube tomorrow with Dr. Campbell and Dr. Seheult tomorrow (live??? don't know)... still no information on when it will be. I'll post, or someone else can when we learn before or when it happens.

Last edited:
COVID outbreak: Dozens of San Jose Kaiser employees test positive

SAN JOSE, Calif. (KRON) — A COVID-19 outbreak was reported at a South Bay hospital that infected dozens of employees.

43 staff members at the Kaiser Permanente San Jose Medical Center Emergency Department tested positive for COVID-19 between Dec. 27 and Jan. 1, senior vice president and area manager Irene Chavez confirmed Saturday.

The outbreak is being investigated and officials are using contact tracing to notify and test any staff or patients who were exposed during the time period.

Officials are looking into a staff member arriving into the emergency department wearing an air”-powered costume on Christmas Day. They say any exposure would have been accidental as the person had no COVID symptoms.

“The individual had no COVID symptoms and only sought to lift the spirits of those around them during what is a very stressful time. If anything, this should serve as a very real reminder that the virus is widespread, and often without symptoms, and we must all be vigilant,” Chavez said in a statement.

Although unconfirmed, Chavez says air-powered costumers will no longer be allowed at the facilities.

Emergency Department staff who received a first dose of the vaccine less than 10 days ago would not be expected to be immune to the virus at the time of the exposure.

Health officials say it is important to note that you must receive the two doses of the vaccine to be protected.

Employees confirmed or suspected to have COVID-19 will not report to work.

COVID outbreak: Dozens of San Jose Kaiser employees test positive | KRON4

ETA: “The individual had no COVID symptoms and only sought to lift the spirits of those around them during what is a very stressful time. If anything, this should serve as a very real reminder that the virus is widespread, and often without symptoms, and we must all be vigilant,” Chavez said in a statement.

Although unconfirmed, Chavez says air-powered costumers will no longer be allowed at the facilities.

I can think of 1,000 witty things to say about this, if it weren't so tragically sad & pathetic. Who here among us on this thread would have thought this was an intelligent idea for a hospital during California's worst period of the pandemic, let alone ANY time during the pandemic?

I only wonder if Ms Chavez will get a promotion for this.

Words I never would have thought could all be uttered in the same sentence: Covid-19, Hospital, Air-Powered Costumers.

Chavez's words minimizing and excusing the incident are making me fume
It adds to the perception that if you have no symptoms you're "good to go", hither and yon
I also am not clear why at this point in the pandemic, her hospital's employees would need reminding that the virus is "widespread and often without symptoms"

(bolding by me)
Irene Chavez, senior vice president and area manager of the hospital:
"Any exposure, if it occurred, would have been completely innocent, and quite accidental, as the individual had no COVID symptoms and only sought to lift the spirits of those around them during what is a very stressful time."

Coronavirus Outbreak: Dozens of emergency staff test positive for COVID-19 at Kaiser Permanente San Jose Medical Center | abc7news.com
43 emergency staff at Kaiser Permanente San Jose infected with COVID-19, officials confirm

My view/thoughts
It gives me a headache and a heartache

The CDC's interactive map tracks vaccine allocation and distribution across the US.

Now, the tracker lists the following details for each state: total doses distributed, total doses distributed per 100,000 people, and the number of people who have received their first dose.

It also includes information on how many doses have been distributed and allocated in total, as well as how many doses have been distributed to and administered in long-term care facilities. You can access the map here.

5fee3d259ff41f001883fa0c

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-3_10-24-25.png
    upload_2021-1-3_10-24-25.png
    296.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I’d heard about this particular outbreak on fb but didn’t have a msm link to bring over as it sounded significant even for an ER(I know someone there so was concerned when i read about it )

I had NO idea about the “air powered costume”. Wow that’s. Just wow.

Also, Work has vaxed (first shot) the majority of its employees. I’m happy with that. Surprised a bit honestly. As to the others ....
AFD75BBE-BC91-44C0-9425-83876A64511F.jpeg

I had to look that one up. An air powered costume.
Then I had to look up why that was a danger. Because the costume's fan might have spread covid-infected air droplets around the hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum