Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #91

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oregon reports first case of contagious coronavirus strain from U.K., worrying health officials

The Oregon Health Authority on Friday announced a Multnomah County resident with no known travel history tested positive for the variant, known as B.1.1.7. Before Oregon’s case, there were only 88 known infections across 15 states.
——————-

It’s not immediately clear how state officials learned about or confirmed the new strain’s arrival, as only certain coronavirus testing looks for variants in the virus. It’s also not immediately known how many Oregonians who have tested positive have been screened for the variant.

Troubling news out of Australia:
UK variant - in Brisbane they have had an incident where the UK variant spread to 6 other people on the same floor of a quarantine hotel.
Genomic analysis confirms direct spread - all these ppl have the same source of infection despite never being in the same room. All arrived from different countries and tested negative on arrival in Australia.
All acquired the UK variant while locked in their hotel rooms in quarantine. CCTV footage confirms no breach of protocol around PPE etc, no common contact between cases.
Investigation is underway but this implies airborne transmission via air conditioning and that this new variant is incredibly aerosolized.
Doctors warn of missing piece in Hotel Grand Chancellor investigation

They still don't know for sure how the virus transmitted, and possibly may never know.

The good thing is that they seem to have it contained. They immediately moved all other quarantining (covid negative) travellers to another hotel, and no-one else contracted the virus.

Today they have zero new cases of community transmission. They are doing a high rate of testing at the moment. And the quarantined (negative) people are being released, as they have completed their 14 days.

No new local coronavirus cases in Queensland in past 24 hours

Arizona:
The report said the man was wearing a mask.
The problem?
The owner of Teeslanger, Scott Cerkoney, declared his business to be “mask free.”

Argument over Cave Creek store’s anti-mask policy ends with gun drawn on customer | 12news.com
Argument over Cave Creek store’s anti-mask policy ends with gun drawn on customer | 12news.com

I'm from literally the middle of nowhere in Kansas
I was lured to Arizona a couple of years ago by little great-grandchildren, which are hard to resist
But I often feel like I'm living in the wild wild west:/

A story of men and testosterone. How silly to have a "mask free" store. Also silly for a mask-wearer to go into a mask-free store and chest-bump the owner.

You just can't make this stuff up!

Are you sure?

Because I tried to look up the CDC advice about this and I believe it said to go ahead and get the vaccine even if you think you may have COVID.

I wish it was more clear. This is their faq:

COVID-19 and Your Health.

It says go ahead and get it even if you "have had" it but nothing about what to do if the infection is current.

At any rate, I believe the information is collected for contact tracing and public health/vaccine research. I do not think people are denied the vaccine, when it's their turn, if they have a cough or a scratchy throat or whatever.
At my institution, a major university medical center, you can get the vaccine any time after you are over symptoms of Covid. My coworker had her vaccine same day as me. She had Covid over Christmas with a positive test for her and family members. As for getting vaccinated when sick, I had to answer our screening questions on our university app before I could even enter the vaccine administration site. If you answered yes to any questions, fever, typical Covid symptoms, you were instructed to go home and call our Covid employee hotline. No vaccine until you recover.

https://www.nejm.org/covid-vaccine/faq

Should patients who have recovered from Covid-19 receive the vaccine?
Yes, they should receive the vaccine. Some of the people who participated in the clinical trials had evidence of prior SARS-CoV-2 infection (based on a positive antibody test), and the vaccines were safe and effective in this group.

Since re-infection after recovery from Covid-19 is rare in the first 90 days, some people may wish to defer immunization for this long — however, if they wish to be immunized sooner, there is no contraindication. Patients who were treated with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma should wait this long, however. These treatments might inactivate the vaccines, making them less effective. Deferral of immunization for 90 days after treatment with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma is recommended. (Last reviewed/updated on 11 Jan 2021)

Should a patient who was exposed to Covid-19 receive the vaccine in order to prevent the disease?
Currently there are no data to support use of the Covid-19 vaccines acutely to prevent disease after a known exposure to an active case. Since the incubation period for Covid-19 averages around 5 days, it is unlikely that the vaccine would elicit an immune response quickly enough to block infection. As a result, people who have been exposed to Covid-19 should finish their 10- to 14-day quarantine before undergoing immunization. Since some vaccines for other diseases (notably varicella) are effective in preventing infection after exposure, it is possible that this will be a future recommendation for Covid-19 vaccination, but currently it is not. (Last reviewed/updated on 11 Jan 2021)

Should a patient who is diagnosed with Covid-19 shortly after the first dose still receive the second scheduled dose?
The vaccine begins to generate protective immunity 10 to 14 days after the first shot. As a result, it is not surprising that some people have experienced Covid-19 shortly after their first immunization, and they naturally wonder whether they should proceed with the second shot as originally scheduled.

The current recommendation is that people with current infection should wait until they have recovered from the acute illness and are eligible to discontinue isolation. opens in new tab. These recommendations apply both to those who developed Covid-19 before their first injection and to those who developed it after starting the vaccine series. On the basis of this guidance, some people in the latter group may be able to proceed with their scheduled second shot and others will need to wait. Treatment of Covid-19 with either monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma should delay receipt of the vaccine by 90 days, since these treatments could theoretically make the vaccine less effective. (Last reviewed/updated on 11 Jan 2021)

Should vaccination be delayed if a patient has any symptoms or is actively ill?
Vaccination should be deferred in people with acute illness, preferably until after they recover. However, people with chronic diseases and stable symptoms are eligible to receive the vaccine; examples would be people with COPD and dyspnea on exertion or those with inflammatory bowel disease and gastrointestinal symptoms. Many of the participants in the phase 3 clinical trials had underlying medical problems, and although they were not acutely ill, some presumably had symptoms from their diseases — that’s the nature of chronic medical conditions. (Last reviewed/updated on 11 Jan 2021)

Last edited:
Doctor suspended after being accused of intentionally exposing patients to COVID-19
More at link

The Rhode Island Department of Health has suspended the license of a doctor investigators say deliberately exposed patients and staff to COVID-19. Dr. Anthony Farina presents “an immediate danger to the public” and has been suspended from practicing medicine indefinitely until further order of the Department of Health or the Board of Medical Licensure and Discipline for an overall pattern of unprecedented willful misconduct, the department said.
The board’s investigative committee found that Farina, whose primary specialty is internal medicine, exposed staff and patients to COVID-19 after becoming symptomatic with a cough and fever in late November and that he continued to work and see patients even after testing positive days later, while wearing an N-95 mask incorrectly. Farina told the committee that he actually had a sinus infection and didn’t test positive for COVID-19 until Dec. 4, after which he isolated appropriately and wore an N-95 mask when in the office.

Although one witness told the committee that Farina passed the virus on to his employees, the committee did not indicate whether he had done so.The committee also found other alleged violations, including writing prescriptions of controlled substances for immediate family members and creating a hostile work environment.

He has the right to hearing on the suspension. An email seeking comment was left with his attorneys Friday. Farina is listed as the director/president of six medical clinics in the state.

Are you sure?

Because I tried to look up the CDC advice about this and I believe it said to go ahead and get the vaccine even if you think you may have COVID.

I wish it was more clear. This is their faq:

COVID-19 and Your Health.

It says go ahead and get it even if you "have had" it but nothing about what to do if the infection is current.

At any rate, I believe the information is collected for contact tracing and public health/vaccine research. I do not think people are denied the vaccine, when it's their turn, if they have a cough or a scratchy throat or whatever.

No, I'm not sure. I was vaccinated on Wednesday, and I recall being asked questions about covid symptoms at the first step in the process. But I don't have a list of the questions I was asked. I didn't think they would allow a potentially covid positive person to continue at that point, but I may be wrong.

Oregon reports first case of contagious coronavirus strain from U.K., worrying health officials

The Oregon Health Authority on Friday announced a Multnomah County resident with no known travel history tested positive for the variant, known as B.1.1.7. Before Oregon’s case, there were only 88 known infections across 15 states.
——————-

It’s not immediately clear how state officials learned about or confirmed the new strain’s arrival, as only certain coronavirus testing looks for variants in the virus. It’s also not immediately known how many Oregonians who have tested positive have been screened for the variant.

Ugh. Sorry to hear this.

This is another source re: can you get the Covid-19 vaccine while infected or recently exposed
(I don't know that there is one true answer - most information only addresses if you've had Covid-19 and recovered, including this article)

Dr. Chris Ohl, infectious disease expert at Wake Forest Baptist Health Medical Center
Dr. Rebecca Bean, senior vice president of pharmacy at Novant Health

If you had the virus or you are recovering, doctors say you don't necessarily need to wait 30 days.

Rather, you can get the vaccine when you don't have any symptoms, and when your quarantine period is over.

As for when to get the vaccine if you received a monoclonal antibody treatment, you will need to wait 90 days.

How soon can you get a COVID vaccine after having COVID: VERIFY | wfmynews2.com
How soon can you get a COVID vaccine after having COVID: VERIFY | wfmynews2.com

Last edited:
A news release from the State Department about China and how the virus could have been in the Wuhan lab in autumn of last year.

I wish China would just let the WHO investigators in and stop playing games. Here we are -- more than a year into this and we still don't know exactly how it jumped from an animal to a human. We still don't know the host animal. :(

At my institution, a major university medical center, you can get the vaccine any time after you are over symptoms of Covid. My coworker had her vaccine same day as me. She had Covid over Christmas with a positive test for her and family members. As for getting vaccinated when sick, I had to answer our screening questions on our university app before I could even enter the vaccine administration site. If you answered yes to any questions, fever, typical Covid symptoms, you were instructed to go home and call our Covid employee hotline. No vaccine until you recover.

I still think that's to protect the vaccine-givers, after doing a bit more research. Asymptomatic people who have COVID get vaccinated. And, one paper I read about vaccinating people in longterm care mentioned that many of the recipients are unable to answer the questions (although if they'd been coughing, I bet the staff would want to wait).

@dmac55, that's interesting about the monoclonal antibody treatment - those poor people who all got that instead of the vaccine now have to wait, probably so as not to give a double/triple challenge to the immune system.

I can only imagine that, especially in L.A., where 1 in 3 people now has COVID (most of them very recently), lots of asymptomatics are going to be at Dodger Stadium today, getting vaccinated (healthcare workers).

Bumping Dr. O’s latest podcast. I fell asleep and didn’t hear it all, but he said the variants are concerning. I am very interested in what he has to say about this. I’ve taken a break from my variant notes due to the Capitol Riots, but hope to get back to that soon.

Thank you. I'm pretty sure UNC Health would have the same policy. It only makes sense that they would need to go home and stay there for the full quarantine.

I signed up online to be vaccinated, and I believe I had to answer questions about covid symptoms then. But that was more than a week before my appointment, and I don't remember just what questions I had to answer at that point. I'm old so my memory could be better.

Hundreds get COVID vaccine at ‘double secret’ vaccination clinic at state fairgrounds — The State

“South Carolina’s health department held an unpublicized mass vaccination clinic Friday at the state fairgrounds in Columbia that drew hundreds of people who waited in their cars for hours to secure doses of the scarce COVID-19 vaccine.

“We heard about it this morning when a friend texted us to say she had heard that DHEC was running the vaccination program at the fairgrounds for people over 70,” said Jay Bender, an attorney who sometimes represents the South Carolina Press Association and The State newspaper.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member