Not open for further replies.
EsBqF1hXUAIPNzO

Just shocking as to timing.

Eric Feigl-Ding@DrEricDing·
9m
Let this injustice sink in... Vaccines administered:
40 million doses: rich countries
25 doses: poor countries. #COVID19

@margarita25, do we have a global link from WHO which states the above information to confirm what numbers are? And timing? I just don't understand the above.

LA County is adding more space to store bodies of Covid-19 victims - CNN
More at link
Los Angeles County, the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic in California, is running out of space to store the bodies of Covid-19 victims and officials are working to create more capacity.

About 900 bodies are currently being held at the Los Angeles Medical Examiner Coroner's Office, which usually has a capacity of 500, according to spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani. She estimates that about 150 of the bodies are overflow from local hospitals that have run out of room.

Since the initial Covid-19 surge last spring, a dozen refrigerated storage units have been on site at the downtown location, bringing capacity up to 2,000 bodies. A dozen more trailers will be in place by next week, along with six refrigerated containers, Ardalani told CNN.

National Guard members have been assisting the coroner's office with transporting and storing bodies, but it is not enough. Ardalani said the office is working with the state to bring in more help.

Man Fined $270 For Breaking Lockdown To Play Pokémon Go

But the biggest surprise of the Oscar season has been the Academy’s announcement that it’s still planning a live, in-person ceremony at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles — though it’s unclear how many celebrities could safety gather in the 3,400-seat venue, or how many would even want to.

Fittingly, this year's Oscars could be the weirdest in their history

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon Dies After Contracting COVID from Patient Getting Lip Fillers

Last edited:
Georgia's Rural Hospitals Grow Frustrated With Lack Of Large Facilities To Send Critical COVID-19 Patients — Baller Alert

Georgia's Rural Hospitals Grow Frustrated With Lack Of Large Facilities To Send Critical COVID-19 Patients

“While Georgia has climbed its way into the top-four in states with the highest positive COVID-19 cases, many local rural hospitals are having difficulty handling overcrowding.

With more cases than beds to contain people falling ill, Miller County Hospital CEO Robin Rau says the recent weeks have been “demoralizing.”

“We had four individuals, dialing, just dialing constantly, hospital after hospital after hospital,” Rau says.

Rau’s hospital is in Colquitt, Georgia, near the Georgia-Alabama border. She says her hospital is full. Now she is trying to find a larger facility equipped with an intensive care unit to take in four patients.

However, there are no open beds in the state of Georgia, or nearby states, to house those in need.

“We have called hundreds and hundreds of hospitals,” Rau says. “There is not a hospital bed within seven states of Georgia to get these patients into.”

According to FOX5, Atlanta, Georgia, reported 5,584 people in hospital with the coronavirus on Jan.15.

And 91% of Georgia’s ICU beds are occupied, Georgia Department of Public Health reports.

“The public doesn’t seem to completely understand,” Rau says. “They’re thinking about COVID in terms of getting it. They don’t understand there is limited help for anything today.”

At least the truth is now being spoken by the CDC. The numbers are absolutely staggering.

With nearly 4,000 American deaths a day from coronavirus (sometimes more) and nearly 400,000 American deaths total (with more to come), we are in the worst months of the pandemic.

"By the middle of February, we expect half a million deaths in this country. That doesn't speak to the tens of thousands of people who are living with a yet uncharacterized syndrome after they've recovered."

I am glad the rules will not be change for the players. Good for the Premier. I understand to them this important however lives are a lot more important. Maybe these players should have quarantine before leaving their country and then again upon entering a new/host country. I know people won’t like I but oh well, it’s one solution.

A French tennis player caused a bit of controversy with a tweet about the restrictions. She is now backtracking. She should have stayed home in France. And she should have paid attention to the rules, and been on every advisory phone call that Tennis Australia made.

French tennis player Alize Cornet has pleaded for forgiveness from the Australian people after branding the nation's quarantine measures "insane" in a Twitter post she has since deleted.
Cornet is one of 72 tennis players forced to undergo 14 days of hard quarantine after being on the same flight as a positive case (flight attendant).

Cornet had previously said players were not told that everyone on a flight where someone tested positive would have to isolate and not be allowed outside their hotel rooms to train.
Her comments were contradicted by other players, including New Zealand doubles player Artem Sitak, who said Tennis Australia had laid out the rules in a call with players last month.

French tennis player apologises for 'tactless' tweet as a player tests positive

Hi ya'all.

Good news! I was at my 88 year old dad's today and I answered his phone for him and it was his Doctor's office asking him to come in this Wednesday, day after tomorrow, for a Covid shot!

I am so happy they reached out to him. He thought it wouldn't be until at least March and that he would have to call them.

He and I are going to talk this Thursday about any side effects he might have.

Is it ok to post - on this thread - how he is doing ? Or is there a different thread for that?

Thankx

EsBqF1hXUAIPNzO

Just shocking as to timing.

Eric Feigl-Ding@DrEricDing·
9m
Let this injustice sink in... Vaccines administered:
40 million doses: rich countries
25 doses: poor countries. #COVID19

@margarita25, do we have a global link from WHO which states the above information to confirm what numbers are? And timing? I just don't understand the above.

(I’ll take a look. Gimme a few, I have ten gazillion windows open. :) )

Hi ya'all.

Good news! I was at my 88 year old dad's today and I answered his phone for him and it was his Doctor's office asking him to come in this Wednesday, day after tomorrow, for a Covid shot!

I am so happy they reached out to him. He thought it wouldn't be until at least March and that he would have to call them.

He and I are going to talk this Thursday about any side effects he might have.

Is it ok to post - on this thread - how he is doing ? Or is there a different thread for that?

Thankx

Please let us know his experience on this thread.
I am sure that we are all very interested. Very happy for him, and for you. :)

This is BS, jmo.

Like I said, my mailman hasn’t seen one stimulus check in the mail.

Stimulus check timeline: When to expect $600 | 9news.com

“What is the timeline for the second round of stimulus payments?

The relief bill says that the Treasury Department has until Jan. 15 to get out the $600 payments, according to The Washington Post and CNET.

If the payments can't be direct-deposited or mailed by then, Americans will have to wait to receive their money when they file a 2020 tax return in 2021.“

Last edited:
Man Fined $270 For Breaking Lockdown To Play Pokémon Go

But the biggest surprise of the Oscar season has been the Academy’s announcement that it’s still planning a live, in-person ceremony at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles — though it’s unclear how many celebrities could safety gather in the 3,400-seat venue, or how many would even want to.

Fittingly, this year's Oscars could be the weirdest in their history

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon Dies After Contracting COVID from Patient Getting Lip Fillers

While his family thinks he "took all precautions" he probably needed a respirator mask to be that close to the mouth of someone who not only had COVID, but was still in the asymptomatic phase, when COVID is often more virulent.

You don't have to go anywhere to get a new strain of Covid. The virus mutates quickly and independently, which is why I question how long any of these vaccinations (developed 4-6months ago) will be effective. But I am getting vaccinated. Although if I have it again in the spring or summer I won't be really surprised.

As viruses go, it's not a rapid mutating virus (flus and common colds are usually worse). But it does mutate at a systematic rate, all on its own, just as every piece of DNA and RNA can do. Here's a recent phylogeny (map of mutant strains of COVID):

auspice

Note that it's the "20" series that's now the most prevalent in the world, while the original "Wuhan" strain is less prevalent/therefore has fewer mutations going on.

That 20 series is the "more infectious" strain that appeared early on (I haven't researched it recently, but it was noted in the French alps and in Northern Italy before arriving by February IIRC in New York.

Then, we have other mutations (more recent) where it's alleged that these mutations also make COVID more infectious (more enduring in the air, more virions exhaled per breath, etc). This isn't known for sure because the social conditions in the places of origin were so chaotic (so many people not wearing masks, people using public transport, etc) that it could simply be an ordinary viral dynamic. Anyway, nextstrain.org is a fascinating place to learn about the virus.

Just rest assured that the vaccines are still effective unless and until more mutations occur in the spike protein encoding part of the RNA. I think there's also good evidence that people who had any previous form of SARS have increased immunity/a milder case with this one.

As viruses go, it's not a rapid mutating virus (flus and common colds are usually worse). But it does mutate at a systematic rate, all on its own, just as every piece of DNA and RNA can do. Here's a recent phylogeny (map of mutant strains of COVID):

auspice

Note that it's the "20" series that's now the most prevalent in the world, while the original "Wuhan" strain is less prevalent/therefore has fewer mutations going on.

That 20 series is the "more infectious" strain that appeared early on (I haven't researched it recently, but it was noted in the French alps and in Northern Italy before arriving by February IIRC in New York.

Then, we have other mutations (more recent) where it's alleged that these mutations also make COVID more infectious (more enduring in the air, more virions exhaled per breath, etc). This isn't known for sure because the social conditions in the places of origin were so chaotic (so many people not wearing masks, people using public transport, etc) that it could simply be an ordinary viral dynamic. Anyway, nextstrain.org is a fascinating place to learn about the virus.

Just rest assured that the vaccines are still effective unless and until more mutations occur in the spike protein encoding part of the RNA. I think there's also good evidence that people who had any previous form of SARS have increased immunity/a milder case with this one.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1351282325926146048

NOTE: It's a 6 part tweet, this is just #1. He has more to say re T cell immunity vs. neutralizing immunity.

Eric Feigl-Ding@DrEricDing
WORRISOME ON *E484* MUTATION—New study from blood of 44 people infected in 1st wave in S Africa was tested against new #SARSCoV2 variant #B1135 (501Y.V2)—found antibodies from **21 of 44 did not recognize** the new B1125 variant—Almost half! #COVID19
https://youtu.be/Ja_tLG8CLAc

............and another tweet

Eric Feigl-Ding[URL='https://twitter.com/DrEricDing']@DrEricDing ·[/URL]
13m
BREAKING—Trump, who once bragged about his “great” travel bans to stop #COVID19, now lifts his restrictions on foreign nationals from UK
, Ireland, much of EU, and Brazil (origins of all the #B117 and #P1 variants, where they are rampant). No peep on Chinaof course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member