Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #91

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arizona has adopted the CDC's recommendation that people 65+ be included in the current tier for vaccinations
My county, Maricopa has not

There are state run vaccination sites, and county run vaccination sites
I can only seek a vaccination slot at the state run sites, because I'm under 75years old
By a hair;)

Tomorrow at 9am is when the state run sites open up to 65+ people
So many stories on local news that it is very difficult to navigate or have success whether trying online or by phone
But I'm going to give it a go

ADHS making more COVID-19 vaccine appointments available Tuesday, adults 65+ eligible to register
https://www.abc15.com/news/coronavi...ilable-tuesday-adults-65-eligible-to-register

So if you all could cross your fingers and maybe say "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo" a couple of times at 9am Arizona time...:D

Hi ya'all.

Good news! I was at my 88 year old dad's today and I answered his phone for him and it was his Doctor's office asking him to come in this Wednesday, day after tomorrow, for a Covid shot!

I am so happy they reached out to him. He thought it wouldn't be until at least March and that he would have to call them.

He and I are going to talk this Thursday about any side effects he might have.

Is it ok to post - on this thread - how he is doing ? Or is there a different thread for that?

Thankx

That's wonderful! I hope he has mild or no side effects.

DH and I (both over 75) got our first dose of the Pfizer vaccine last Wednesday and are doing fine. I had a sore arm for a few days, but that was it. We were given an appointment for our 2nd shot.

Since then, the state opened up vaccination for 65+, and now it's almost impossible for people to get an appointment for the vaccine. They keep getting the message that no appointments are available. Very frustrating.

18-Year-Old Dies After Contracting COVID-19 for the Second Time — People

“He was just getting better. He had about a week of COVID-free before getting sick again," Ferrel said.

Portillo, a CEC Early College graduate who launched an online sporting goods retailer called My Journey My Success, first fell ill with COVID-19 months into the pandemic following a business trip to Los Angeles, his uncle Oscar Castillo told Denverite.

Two months after recovering and testing negative for the virus, Portillo came down with a fever after attending a party, according to Castillo.”

Sounds more like a relapse if he had a week of being covid free?
After attending a party....:(

A French tennis player caused a bit of controversy with a tweet about the restrictions. She is now backtracking. She should have stayed home in France. And she should have paid attention to the rules, and been on every advisory phone call that Tennis Australia made.

French tennis player Alize Cornet has pleaded for forgiveness from the Australian people after branding the nation's quarantine measures "insane" in a Twitter post she has since deleted.
Cornet is one of 72 tennis players forced to undergo 14 days of hard quarantine after being on the same flight as a positive case (flight attendant).

Cornet had previously said players were not told that everyone on a flight where someone tested positive would have to isolate and not be allowed outside their hotel rooms to train.
Her comments were contradicted by other players, including New Zealand doubles player Artem Sitak, who said Tennis Australia had laid out the rules in a call with players last month.

French tennis player apologises for 'tactless' tweet as a player tests positive

Bernard Tomic's Girlfriend Getting Death Threats For Hotel Quarantine Video — LADbible

“Bernard Tomic's girlfriend, influencer and OnlyFans star Vanessa Sierra, has issued a call for calm after getting slated in the comments section of a video she posted to her social media account.

Vanessa and Bernard have been forced to spend time in hotel quarantine ahead of the Australian Open to ensure they don't have the coronavirus.

They've been documenting how they're passing the time, with Sierra complaining about how boring it was and that she hasn't been able to properly wash her hair.

"This is the worst part of quarantine: I don't wash my own hair. I've never washed my own hair. It's just not something that I do. I normally have hairdressers that do it twice a week for me, so this is the situation that we're dealing with," Sierra said.”

Try not getting a haircut for nine months.

"This is the worst part of quarantine: I don't wash my own hair. I've never washed my own hair. It's just not something that I do. I normally have hairdressers that do it twice a week for me, so this is the situation that we're dealing with," Sierra said.”

There are people under 70 who have their hair done twice a week and don't wash it at all themselves?

Bernard Tomic's Girlfriend Getting Death Threats For Hotel Quarantine Video — LADbible

“Bernard Tomic's girlfriend, influencer and OnlyFans star Vanessa Sierra, has issued a call for calm after getting slated in the comments section of a video she posted to her social media account.

Vanessa and Bernard have been forced to spend time in hotel quarantine ahead of the Australian Open to ensure they don't have the coronavirus.

They've been documenting how they're passing the time, with Sierra complaining about how boring it was and that she hasn't been able to properly wash her hair.

Try not getting a haircut for nine months.

She 'says' she is getting death threats ... but there are none shown in the article? I am sure that if that is true the police will be onto it - if they are Australian-based threats.

Most people here are just sick of their whinging. We have done a lot to try to be virus-free, we don't need these incomers unleashing the virus on us. Just shut up and do your hotel quarantine like everybody else does.

I saw in a video yesterday that they had even set up a board in (at least) one of the hotel rooms, so (at least) one of the players could practise his tennis shots against the board.

There are people under 70 who have their hair done twice a week and don't wash it at all themselves?

That girl needs to learn how to do her own hair! But I can’t resist giving you a hard time, assuming you are youngish. I know 70 must sound ancient, :D but I think most of us well over 70 (75 year old Baby Boomer here) have always washed our own hair and still do if we are physically able. We are the “forever young generation,” after all! I do have one 83 year old friend who gets her hair “done” weekly, but not other friends in their 80’s and 90’s who have easier hairstyles. Getting one’s hair done may be a generational and/or socioeconomic thing. My Mom who died in 2004 at 92 never washed her own hair, even when young, and had a standing appointment at her hairdresser weekly. But I totally agree with you that it’s really unusual for someone younger than, let’s make it 80, :) to complain because she has to wash her own hair! Did she expect sympathy during a pandemic?

California becomes first state to top 3 million virus cases

Although Gov. Gavin Newsom announced last week that anyone age 65 and older would be eligible to start receiving the vaccine, Los Angeles County and some others have said they do not have enough doses to vaccinate that many people and are first concentrating on inoculating health care workers and the most vulnerable elderly living in care homes.

California’s caseload is also far ahead of other large states. Texas had more than 2 million and Florida topped 1.5 million.

There is evidently something(s) in the vaccines that produces an allergic reaction in some people. But they seem to be an extreme minority of people, as compared to the amount of people who have had both vaccines now.

A Boston physician said he developed a severe allergic reaction minutes after receiving Moderna’s coronavirus vaccine on Thursday, in the first week of the nationwide rollout for the company’s shots. (He is severely allergic to shellfish in his regular life.)
The statement said that Dr. Sadrzadeh “felt he was developing an allergic reaction and was allowed to self-administer his personal EpiPen. He was taken to the Emergency Department, evaluated, treated, observed and discharged. He is doing well today.”
“It was the same anaphylactic reaction that I experience with shellfish,” Dr. Sadrzadeh said.

Federal agencies are investigating at least six cases involving people who suffered anaphylaxis after receiving the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, which contains similar ingredients, during the first few weeks of its distribution in the United States.
A few health care workers in Britain had also experienced anaphylaxis after receiving the Pfizer vaccine earlier this month.

Boston Doctor Reports Serious Allergic Reaction After Getting Moderna’s Covid Vaccine
Dec 31, 2020

Here again are the vaccine ingredients, in case any of them mean anything (allergic) to anyone.
They do say (in the above NY Times article) that all reactions have happened in the 15 minutes or so that you sit around at the vaccine location after you have had the vaccine.

Here are the ingredients in the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, according to the fact sheet from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • mRNA
  • Lipids ((4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis(2-hexyldecanoate), 2 [(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide, 1,2-Distearoyl-sn-glycero-3- phosphocholine, and cholesterol)
  • Potassium chloride
  • Monobasic potassium phosphate
  • Sodium chloride
  • Dibasic sodium phosphate dihydrate
  • Sucrose
Here are the ingredients in the Moderna vaccine, according to the fact sheet from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • Messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA)
  • Lipids (SM-102, polyethylene glycol [PEG] 2000 dimyristoyl glycerol [DMG], cholesterol, and 1,2-distearoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine [DSPC])
  • Tromethamine
  • Tromethamine hydrochloride
  • Acetic acid
  • Sodium acetate
  • Sucrose
Can You Safely Get a COVID-19 Vaccine If You Have a History of Allergic Reactions?

Air quality regulator temporarily suspends cremation limits for LA County amid 'backlog' from pandemic - CNN

Wow. That is sobering. So many bodies to cremate, the county has to let up the limit of air quality. Remember the plume of air pollution over Wuhan last year? That people were guessing was dead bodies being cremated?

Has China ever come clean on their denial about the Covid death rate?

I don't think so. To date, they still haven't permitted the WHO investigation into the source of the virus. Scientists and world leaders are none-too-happy, and I can't blame them.

I don't think so. To date, they still haven't permitted the WHO investigation into the source of the virus. Scientists and world leaders are none-too-happy, and I can't blame them.

WHO are there, in Wuhan. Arrived 5 days ago. Currently still in quarantine, and will be for two weeks - which is normal to us Aussies.
I imagine they will be much more welcoming, once it is not being loudly proclaimed as the "Chyna" virus.

A World Health Organization (WHO) team has arrived in the Chinese city of Wuhan to start its investigation into the origins of the Covid-19 pandemic.
A group of 10 scientists is set to interview people from research institutes, hospitals and the seafood market linked to the initial outbreak.

Covid: WHO team probing origin of virus arrives in China

WHO are there, in Wuhan. Arrived 5 days ago. Currently still in quarantine, and will be for two weeks - which is normal to us Aussies.
I imagine they will be much more welcoming, once it is not being loudly proclaimed as the "Chyna" virus.

A World Health Organization (WHO) team has arrived in the Chinese city of Wuhan to start its investigation into the origins of the Covid-19 pandemic.
A group of 10 scientists is set to interview people from research institutes, hospitals and the seafood market linked to the initial outbreak.

Covid: WHO team probing origin of virus arrives in China

I don't know why they're so touchy. After all, viruses have traditionally been named after the region where they were first discovered, such as the Ebola virus that originated along the Ebola river in the Congo, West Nile virus that was first discovered along the Nile in Uganda, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, because ticks in the Rocky Mountains first carried it.

China's just odd, and their human rights are despicable. They bear a big responsibility for blocking the WHO's attempts to investigate until now (although, I'm glad they finally acquiesced) and the international community should hold them responsible for the deceit, which, undoubtedly caused the virus to spread rather than allowed the world to try and contain it from the beginning. A lot of blood is on their hands for their role in not getting the word out from the get-go.

I don't know why they're so touchy. After all, viruses have traditionally been named after the region where they were first discovered, such as the Ebola virus that originated along the Ebola river in the Congo, West Nile virus that was first discovered along the Nile in Uganda, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, because ticks in the Rocky Mountains first carried it.

China's just odd, and their human rights are despicable. They bear a big responsibility for blocking the WHO's attempts to investigate until now (although, I'm glad they finally acquiesced) and the international community should hold them responsible for the deceit, which, undoubtedly caused the virus to spread rather than allowed the world to try and contain it from the beginning. A lot of blood is on their hands for their role in not getting the word out from the get-go.

In understanding the implications previous naming practices have had, the World Health Organization itself revised its own conventions, even warning media and scientists to do so, as well, in 2015.

"In recent years, several new human infectious diseases have emerged. The use of names such as 'swine flu' and 'Middle East Respiratory Syndrome' has had unintended negative impacts by stigmatizing certain communities or economic sectors," said Dr. Keiji Fukuda, who was the assistant director-general for health security at the WHO at the time.

"We've seen certain disease names provoke a backlash against members of particular religious or ethnic communities, create unjustified barriers to travel, commerce and trade, and trigger needless slaughtering of food animals," he said. "This can have serious consequences for peoples' lives and livelihoods."

Already, Asian Americans have confronted discrimination and physical violence as a result of coronavirus-related racism. A 23-year-old woman in New York City was hospitalized after another woman was alleged to have been punched her in the face as her attackers invoked anti-Asian slurs. In California, an Asian teen was sent to the emergency room after he was bullied and assaulted because of fears surrounding the coronavirus.

Tying ethnicity to the virus has uniquely harmful historical implications for those of Chinese descent. The association between disease and people from China was popularized in the late 19th century "in a historical context of increasing socioeconomic inequality, white supremacy and xenophobia against people who looked different," Choy said.

"The racial scapegoating of Chinese as dirty and diseased incited violence against them and justified their exclusion," she said.

He added that while naming may seem like a "trivial issue" to some, the matter does have serious consequences."

Dr. Tedros covered this in the beginning of the pandemic re reason for naming convention changes.

Progress is why viruses aren't named after locations anymore, experts say - March 22, 2020 Article

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member