Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #92

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had fireworks here, regional NSW. There were some last Friday night and some last night.
Not sure how many attended. I didn't.
We haven't had any cases here since April but I think we still have to be careful.
There were a lot of weekend activities with no social distancing from what I can see in the pics in the local paper.

Usually we do have fireworks, but not this year. None of the celebrations are the same. We are still avoiding large gatherings, even though our covid numbers are negligible.

Further info on how some folks are being "so careful" yet get Covid. A friend of a friend (I know) was asked how did he think he got Covid...well he answered "grocery store maybe? We went out to eat just once, a week ago but there were only 3 tables in the place..." ummmmm...indoor dining?
Overwhelming response from people I’ve asked is “grocery store” when it’s very clear from their social media that they had people outside their household “pop over for a short porch visit” or went to eat indoors at a restaurant.

How is it that people think grocery stores are worse than eating indoors at a restaurant or meeting people not in your household outside without masks?

Grocery store - people wearing masks, wiping down carts, decent size aisles, etc?

Getting via contact? Food? Touchscreen?
Or from a person 3 feet away versus 6 feet as you quickly pass by in the aisle while both are wearing masks? Or from an hour ago when someone not wearing a mask and was contagious was inside the store?
Perhaps people lollygagging in the grocery store?
JMO

Last edited:
Feeling some hope today. My parents received their first Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Governor DeWine also announced that on Feb 15 people under 65 with pre-existing conditions (me) would be able to start getting vaccinated.

Well, that sure explains the constant state of chaos that Dr Birx and others were working in.

They didn't even know where those "alternate fact" slides - the ones that downplayed the virus - were coming from, when they themselves were supposed to provide the input. They assume they were coming from the Communications Team, whoever they were.

This is just so absolutely disgusting!
Any other decently competent president/administration last year would have done a better job
We weren’t as important as American citizens as his election hopes
Grrrrr

I was able to make two reservations for Moderna Vaccine in Florida. My husband received his first shot today, and my 81 yr old neighbor is getting her first shot tomorrow. We had an online reservation system and appointments were filled in minutes. They gave him a card noting his vaccination. I was contacted today for a Novavax vaccine phase III trial, and am trying to decide if I should do it. Has anyone here participated in one?

Feeling some hope today. My parents received their first Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Governor DeWine also announced that on Feb 15 people under 65 with pre-existing conditions (me) would be able to start getting vaccinated.
I'm so excited to report that I'm getting my first shot (Moderna) tomorrow morning. Here in NJ, it's age 65 and above, plus 16-64 with underlying conditions. Thankfully, many teachers seems to be able to get vaccinated as well, though it is a bit of a challenge this week finding availability. .

Herd immunity by summer? That would be amazing!

Distributing vaccines to millions of Americans will be a “logistical challenge that exceeds anything we’ve ever tried in this country, but I think we can do that," the president said on Monday.

"I feel confident that by summer we're gonna be well on our way to heading toward herd immunity," or roughly 300 million Americans vaccinated, he said.

I was able to make two reservations for Moderna Vaccine in Florida. My husband received his first shot today, and my 81 yr old neighbor is getting her first shot tomorrow. We had an online reservation system and appointments were filled in minutes. They gave him a card noting his vaccination. I was contacted today for a Novavax vaccine phase III trial, and am trying to decide if I should do it. Has anyone here participated in one?

No, I have not. I will admit, although it may take months perhaps to get mine in line, I doubt at this time I would do a phase III trial as that would mean I could be getting the placebo.

And at this moment in time, I would prefer to know I had one that has been proven. MOO

Dissecting the actual words of "well on our way to herd immunity" means moving forward... and not = to having herd immunity. long way to go MOO. Just look at Israel as an example who at this time has iirc the highest rate per capita of immunizations?

Well, that sure explains the constant state of chaos that Dr Birx and others were working in.

They didn't even know where those "alternate fact" slides - the ones that downplayed the virus - were coming from, when they themselves were supposed to provide the input. They assume they were coming from the Communications Team, whoever they were.

just so that you know, if I look up the Rt for my state today on the internet, I can get, easily 5 widely different values. some will be a week behind; some will be using 7 days or 10 days or 14 day averages. some will be using "cases;" another will be adding in "presumed cases" or they will be using different test stats (rapid or only PCRs). as a non-scientist, I cannot even always find the "fine print" to see how they did the calculations. so throw into this world of new different confusing data, politics and conspiracies and emotions running high and it makes for a real mess, IMO. to be a scientist who is supposed to be answering for other persons' data that you do not know about (!) would be excruciating.

Dissecting the actual words of "well on our way to herd immunity" means moving forward... and not = to having herd immunity. long way to go MOO. Just look at Israel as an example who at this time has iirc the highest rate per capita of immunizations?

Good point. But, it's still exciting to think about!

I agree.
From the link:
"The coronavirus may remain in people’s brains after infection and trigger relapses in patients who thought they had recovered, according to a new study published in the journal Viruses.

In the study, mice that were infected with the virus through their nasal passages developed severe illnesses due to brain infections, even after the virus left their lungs. In humans, this could explain why patients who appear to be over COVID-19 sometimes relapse and die."

If you recall, people cured of Ebola, had reservoirs in their eyes and other places...
Can you get Ebola in your eye?
About one in four Ebola survivors from Sierra Leone suffer from uveitis, or inflammation inside the eye, a condition that can result in vision loss or blindness. The eye now joins the testes as a location where live Ebola virus can be found up to one year post-infection.Jul 17, 2017

Ebola lingers in survivors' eyes -- ScienceDaily

as someone who is pretty old, but not over 65, and without a preexisting condition, it looks as if I will not get a vaccine before April or May. That seems like an eternity away. I have to keep telling myself that if they vaccinate the health workers, first responders, food service and grocery workers, transit people, etc., the frail, the elderly, it will make it safer for me too. Now, however, we have a vaccine shortage and new virus mutations.... people in my state have been up in arms over a big vaccination center that did not schedule second shots when they administered first shots, and their computer system is not set up to do that.... so possibly people's windows for a second shot after first shots will "expire" and they cannot do anything. Maybe these glitches will be worked out by the time I am eligible? seems like one bad situation after another.

just so that you know, if I look up the Rt for my state today on the internet, I can get, easily 5 widely different values. some will be a week behind; some will be using 7 days or 10 days or 14 day averages. some will be using "cases;" another will be adding in "presumed cases" or they will be using different test stats (rapid or only PCRs). as a non-scientist, I cannot even always find the "fine print" to see how they did the calculations. so throw into this world of new different confusing data, politics and conspiracies and emotions running high and it makes for a real mess, IMO. to be a scientist who is supposed to be answering for other persons' data that you do not know about (!) would be excruciating.

Understood! At almost all the Cuomo conferences he states that his STATE figures are different and the reasons why. Yes, confusing to the public at large for sure.

Very unfortunate, but with the United States, it indeed shows that the State does their numbers, local does their own way, and feds do another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298