Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #93

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I found interesting is how most of the top-rated reader comments have lost faith in Dr. Fauci.

Well, we know what we can blame that on, don't we. It is such a stark difference to my country's mentality. We admire Dr Fauci very much, as does Israel who has just given him a fabulous award. Just as we admire our own top health officials and scientists who have kept us safe through this pandemic - because we listened to them.

I woke up this morning (Monday) to headlines and a big splash on our morning TV shows. "Fightback against coronavirus begins" "our heroes are being vaccinated" .... as we see our healthcare workers, quarantine workers, and aged care home workers voluntarily lining up to be vaccinated.

Last edited:
With more people being vaccinated, I am beginning to see that "life" is getting back to normal, here in the United States. I received notice that the Kona Triathlon for 2021 is scheduled, and several other races.

I wonder what will happen with the 2020 Summer Olympics that were scheduled in Japan last year?

Are the Tokyo Olympics actually going to happen?

on a less grand scale, these are three things I witnessed lately:

1. three "old guys" in the grocery store, masked but sadly less than 6' apart- discussing when everyone they know will have been vaccinated- they were saying July, and I think they were all vaccinated, just from overhearing their conversation.
2. person on a Zoom meeting I had last week had just gotten her second shot
3. man we know and ran into in a park - more than 6' away from us(!) - works as a support person in a health care facility- fully vaccinated.

Iowa numbers and news for Sat. Feb. 20 and Sun . Feb. 21:
Feb. 20: Iowa reports 560 new COVID-19 cases, 0 additional deaths, and almost 6,000 more vaccine completions 560 new confirmed cases and 1,145 more recovering. 34 hospitalized for a total of 238 (-3).
Feb. 21: Iowa reports 391 new COVID-19 cases, 0 additional deaths, and almost 6,281 more vaccine completions 391 new confirmed cases, 454 more recovering, and no new deaths reported on Sat. or Sun.
38 hospitalized for a total of 229 (-9)
Governor regrets shutting down schools

from the Daily Mail:

Fauci Warns Americans Could Be Wearing Masks Into 2022

"Dr. Anthony Fauci has warned Americans could be wearing masks into 2022 as he said the harsh winter storms experienced across the country this week delayed the distribution of six million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine."

What I found interesting is how most of the top-rated reader comments have lost faith in Dr. Fauci.

I know I don't have a lot of faith in him, but that's mainly because he lied about mask-wearing at the start. I get it that medical personnel needed masks and supply was so short, but I'm not a fan of lying for any reason. I think he could have encouraged us to make cloth masks back then rather than telling us we didn't need them. That still bothers me. Plus, it bothers me that he backed sending funding to China for "gain of function" virus testing after the Obama Administration banned funding it here. So, now when he tells us we might be wearing masks in 2022, I have to wonder about his truthfulness---again.

We're seeing other professional opinions with sunnier predictions, such as the one from Johns Hopkins:
Johns Hopkins doctor thinks COVID will be largely gone by April, half of U.S. has herd immunity

Or, this one:
'We could be approaching herd immunity': Epidemiologist on coronavirus pandemic

I know I don't have a lot of faith in him, but that's mainly because he lied about mask-wearing at the start. I get it that medical personnel needed masks and supply was so short, but I'm not a fan of lying for any reason. I think he could have encouraged us to make cloth masks back then rather than telling us we didn't need them. That still bothers me. Plus, it bothers me that he backed sending funding to China for "gain of function" virus testing after the Obama Administration banned funding it here. So, now when he tells us we might be wearing masks in 2022, I have to wonder about his truthfulness---again.

We're seeing other professional opinions with sunnier predictions, such as the one from Johns Hopkins:
Johns Hopkins doctor thinks COVID will be largely gone by April, half of U.S. has herd immunity

Or, this one:
'We could be approaching herd immunity': Epidemiologist on coronavirus pandemic

I don't believe at the time there were any studies for which Fauci could base his recommendation on making masks. Evidence based is the motto for which many statements are made that make scientists look like, to some, that they are "lying" when facts change and leads to policy or decision or recommendation changes.

The scientific world had tested N-95's, and knew of their proven capabilities. The scientific world had no large studies/they weren't common that were worldwide accepted of using cloth masks, and there weren't standards if home made.

It's a difficult position indeed being a policy maker, especially in a fast moving situation as we had last year (and continues to this day with the newest for double masking).

I still have my package of N95s that I purchased in February last year due to this subject thread at WS.

Had to go in to see my Primary Care doctor this past week. He told me he got Covid two weeks after his first vaccine. His wife did too. Hearing more and more of this. I wonder if people just let their guard down more after they get the jab.

He said he probably got it playing hockey at the indoor ice rink, he wasn't masked in the locker room or when he was on the ice of course. He said their were alot of unmasked players in the locker room.

Had to go in to see my Primary Care doctor this past week. He told me he got Covid two weeks after his first vaccine. His wife did too. Hearing more and more of this. I wonder if people just let their guard down more after they get the jab.

He said he probably got it playing hockey at the indoor ice rink, he wasn't masked in the locker room or when he was on the ice of course. He said their were alot of unmasked players in the locker room.

hockey has been in epidemiologists cross hairs for awhile. I had heard that people suspected close quarters for travel and post game lodging and meals, but now it seems that people are pointing fingers at cold air, heavy breathing and not a lot of air exchange. interesting that your Dr chose to play...

CDC: Indoor sports like ice hockey are high risk for ...
www.bostonglobe.com › 2020/10/15 › metro › cdc-indoo...

Oct 15, 2020 — Indoor sports like ice hockey are high-risk activities for the spread of COVID-19, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and ...

How Risky Are Indoor Sports This Winter? - The New York Times
www.nytimes.com › parenting › covid-19-indoor-sports

Nov 17, 2020 — As a co-author of the Covid-19 interim guidelines on youth sports, ... Recent outbreaks linked to indoor hockey in New England could serve as ... One of the greatest dangers, Dr. Huang said, might be snacks and water breaks.

Why does covid thrive in hockey rinks? Scientists are trying to ...
www.washingtonpost.com › health › 2020/12/04 › hoc...

Dec 4, 2020 — When a youth hockey coach in Texas died in August from covid-19, Steve Bellemore ... “In winter sports, you now add the indoor element. And I ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14