Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #97

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the delta variant more dangerous for children? A growing number of kids are very sick (nbcnews.com)

The surge in pediatric infections worries doctors, especially on the cusp of flu season, saying Covid's potential impact on kids is "beyond what flu would ever do."

The number of very sick children admitted to Children's Hospital New Orleans with Covid-19 has exploded over the past two weeks — from zero to 20.

"I've never seen anything like it," said Dr. Mark Kline, the hospital's physician-in-chief. "We are seeing children fall ill that we just simply didn't see in the first year of the pandemic, before the delta variant came along."

Doctors at Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children Infectious Diseases in Florida have seen similar surges recently. "The last two weeks, cases have continued to increase," said Dr. Federico Laham, medical director for the hospital. "I don't think we have reached our peak."...

Wow... I was getting ready to post one article on this topic, and here you are with 17! :) Thanks!

(qmfr)

Wow... I was getting ready to post one article on this topic, and here you are with 17! :) Thanks!

Just barely scratching the surface, my friend, sadly. That’s just a cursory glimpse of the US.

Meanwhile,

Health care group blasts Gov. DeSantis’ ‘unconscionable’ edict against school mask mandates

“Some Florida school districts are ready to defy Gov. Ron DeSantis’ order that no students be required to mask up to slow COVID-19 transmission.

A national group of health care professionals bolstered that position Wednesday, calling DeSantis’ edict against masks “unconscionable.”

The Committee to Protect Health Care is blasting DeSantis’ orders prohibiting locals from managing the virus. DeSantis’ direction is widely viewed as giving parents the right to ignore any mask mandates that might come from the schools.

“I don’t know what more the Governor could do to make this a worse situation,” said Dr. Mona Mangat, a St. Petersburg allergist and immunologist. “I’m really frustrated because everything the Governor is doing is making it worse. To not let local schools and governments do the right thing to keep people safe is unconscionable.””

Florida school district flip-flops over mask mandate, awaits guidance on DeSantis order

A “Florida school district is “waiting for guidance” after reversing its initial mask mandate due to Gov. Ron DeSantis’ executive order that bans mandates and threatens to cut funding from districts that do not comply.

[...]

“If you’re coming after the rights of parents in Florida, I’m standing in your way. I’m not going to let you get away with it,” DeSantis said. “If you’re trying to deny kids a proper in-person education, I’m going to stand in your way.”

“We were told that the off-ramp was vaccination. Now, we’re told that that’s not going to be the case. And yet, you’re going to have to do masking, you may have to do restrictions and potentially other severe forms of mitigation, which we know will have a devastating impact on so many people’s lives and livelihoods and freedoms. So CDCs policies, by doing this so ham-handedly, by not looking at things like the Brown study, it really shows a callous disregard for the physical, emotional, and academic well being of our children,” said DeSantis.”

Gov. DeSantis Doubles Down On No School Mask Mandates, Says He's Protecting Parental Rights

July 30, 2021

Last edited:
South Carolina Republican congressman tests positive for Covid-19 — CNN Politics

“Rep. Ralph Norman has tested positive for Covid-19 after experiencing mild symptoms, the South Carolina Republican, who is fully vaccinated, announced Thursday in a statement.

Norman was among the group of GOP lawmakers in the House who strongly opposed the new mask mandate and marched en masse from the House to the Senate, where masks were not required, though some still choose to wear them.

Norman's positive test is the second among South Carolina lawmakers just this week and the third reported among members of Congress in less than four weeks. All three members were fully vaccinated and experienced mild symptoms. These three recent cases follow several months without any lawmaker announcing a positive test result.”

Sen Lindsey Graham may have gotten COVID-19 on Sen Joe Manchin's houseboat

“On Monday, Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina announced he tested positive for Covid-19, and GOP Rep. Vern Buchanan of Florida made public on July 19 that he tested positive for the coronavirus.

Manchin later confirmed that a "few" senators were together on the boat, and all present were vaccinated.”

Last edited:
Some earlier articles:

No Longer ‘Hidden Victims,’ Children Are Dying as Virus Surges in Indonesia

Indonesia battles high child fatality rate amid Delta variant outbreak

*FTR, there are other factors which do come into play in other countries wrt child covid deaths, such as malnutrition, other diseases and conditions, access to healthcare, etc., but some children are dying from this disease. My earlier post clearly shows the increase in US pediatric hospitalizations. I haven’t even looked at MIS-C yet, and frankly am scared. If someone wants to update that thread, I would really appreciate it.

I stated months ago that my biggest fear was that this virus would mutate to affect our precious children more severely, and that it would be very hard to watch when it happens. Well, it seems that time has arrived. :(

I’m swamped at work, so if someone can please provide some updates here, I would really appreciate it, thank you in advance:

Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C and COVID-19)

Last edited:
It must also be noted that in poorer nations which do not have access to vaccines, their health workers are dropping like flies. Doctors, nurses, the numbers are horrific.

Additionally, some of them got the Chinese vaccine Sinovac, which has demonstrated itself to have issues, imo.

Quick reference:
Covid-19 Killed 26 Indonesian Doctors in June—at Least 10 Had Taken China’s Sinovac Vaccine

This, again, is just scratching the surface, and there are other factors which may have played a role, reduced access to therapeutics, oxygen, etc., etc.

Last edited:
Arizona-

"An entire class of Tempe third-graders are having to quarantine after possibly being exposed to COVID-19 at school."

AZFamily: Class of Tempe 3rd-graders possibly exposed to COVID-19 now quarantining.
Class of Tempe 3rd-graders possibly exposed to COVID-19 now quarantining

"A group of Arizona doctors plan to hand-deliver a letter to Gov. Doug Ducey declaring their support for school districts that have mandated masked in their schools despite a law banning such mandates."

150+ doctors support Arizona school districts requiring masks on campus | State of Arizona Schools | azfamily.com
150+ doctors support Arizona school districts requiring masks on campus

All people who are not vaccinated should wear masks. All Children are considered "people".

All Children are not vaccinated, therefore, all children should wear masks.

Logic, 101. I guess that many people missed that class.

Texas Republican leader dies of COVID-19 five days after anti-vaccination post

A Texas Republican leader who was hospitalized with COVID-19 died Wednesday, just days after he shared a post on social media questioning the effectiveness of the coronavirus vaccine.

The Galveston County Republican Party said that Scott Apley, a member of the State Republican Executive Committee and Dickinson City Council, had died. While the party did not specify the cause of death, a page that had been set up for Apley and his family said he was admitted to a hospital Sunday with “pneumonia-like symptoms and tested positive for COVID.”

Apley, 45, is survived by his wife, Melissa, who according to the fundraising page has also tested positive for the coronavirus but has not been hospitalized, and their infant son.

Apley had previously vocalized his strong opposition to vaccinations and mask mandates, and
responded to a positive tweet about vaccinations “You are an absolute enemy of a free people."

Texas Republican leader dies of COVID-19 five days after anti-vaccination post

Florida Again:

'There are only so many beds': COVID-19 surge hits hospitals

Florida hospitals slammed with COVID-19 patients are suspending elective surgeries and putting beds in conference rooms, an auditorium and a cafeteria. As of midweek, Mississippi had just six open intensive care beds in the entire state. Georgia medical centers are turning people away. And in Louisiana, an organ transplant had to be postponed along with other procedures.

“We are seeing a surge like we’ve not seen before in terms of the patients coming,” Dr. Marc Napp, chief medical officer for Memorial Healthcare System in Hollywood, Florida, said Wednesday. “It’s the sheer number coming in at the same time. There are only so many beds, so many doctors, only so many nurses.”

Coronavirus hospitalizations are surging again as the more contagious delta variant rages across the country, forcing medical centers to return to a crisis footing just weeks after many closed their COVID-19 wards and field hospitals and dropped other emergency measures.

The number of people now in the hospital in the U.S. with COVID-19 has almost quadrupled over the past month to nearly 45,000 ... And to the frustration of public health experts and front-line medical workers,
the vast majority of those now hospitalized are unvaccinated.

'There are only so many beds': COVID-19 surge hits hospitals

Things have changed so fast!
Delta Surge Wipes Away Americans’ Optimism About Covid, Poll Shows—With Many Expecting Disruptions Through 2022

This marks a significant shift in opinion from June, when a record 89% believed the pandemic was getting better, and only 3% said it was getting worse.

It is also the first time since January that more U.S. adults have been pessimistic than optimistic about the Covid-19 pandemic (pessimism outpaced optimism for most of 2020).
Full article at link.

It’s a real rollercoaster, and it seems it might go round in circles of new mutations and new vaccinations for quite a while yet. I wonder if we’ll get as far as the Omega variant :eek:

Last edited:
I've been to Canada once, skiing, and it was so freaking cold I've never had any desire to go back. Not really sure who goes there from the US. Maybe it impacts commercial trucking for the most part...idk

I like going there and look forward to them reopening. One of my favorite places is Niagara On the Lake, ON. Lots of vineyards, wineries and theater festivals along with a lot of history. The town has a lot of great bed and breakfasts to stay in. It's safe, no crime, a very relaxed environment. Toronto is also great for plays, shopping, etc. Again, very clean, friendly and low crime.

https://www.niagaraonthelake.com/

Canadians are great, friendly people. I like the way they're low-drama, no fuss and sensible about things like providing cradle to grave health care for all their citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee