Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #97

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unvaccinated Americans not changing their behavior, report finds (nbcnews.com)

A Kaiser Family Foundation survey finds wide differences in attitudes about the Covid-19 vaccines.

Unvaccinated Americans believe the vaccines are more dangerous than Covid-19, while vaccinated Americans believe the delta variant is worrisome enough that they continue to mask in public and avoid large gatherings. And even though almost 165 million people in the U.S. are fully vaccinated and the delta variant is raging across the country, the percentage of U.S. adults who say they oppose the Covid vaccines has remained unchanged since December, according to a report from the Kaiser Family Foundation.

The survey's findings, published Wednesday, show some of the striking differences between the two groups and the challenges facing public health officials...
Covid will change it for them.

Actual question posed to me at work today: “Do you think Covid is coming back again?” I don’t understand it. No matter what msm a person watches or which newspaper is read or which sm is followed, how can anyone miss the numbers? My SO attended his co-worker’s/friend’s funeral yesterday (the one who passed in July). Another person gone way too soon from this horrible virus.

Is UK testing for antibodies in unvaccinated people?

This is the study that has produced the 92% figure in the UK. It is actually a modelling of what is going on in the UK population, based on samples from a pretty large group of survey volunteers.

It sounds as if unvaccinated people were included in the testing (indicated by their inclusion of children over 2 years old).
Although the results provided are from adults.

Our antibodies and vaccination estimates are based on modelling of the people visited in the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Infection Survey in the community.
  • In England, it is estimated that over 9 in 10 adults, or 93.6% of the adult population (95% credible interval: 92.5% to 94.5%) would have tested positive for antibodies
  • In Wales, it is estimated that over 9 in 10 adults, or 93.2% of the adult population (95% credible interval: 91.7% to 94.4%) would have tested positive for antibodies
  • In Northern Ireland, it is estimated that around 9 in 10 adults, or 90.7% of the adult population (95% credible interval: 87.4% to 93.3%) would have tested positive for antibodies
  • In Scotland, it is estimated that over 9 in 10 adults, or 92.5% of the adult population (95% credible interval: 91.0% to 93.7%) would have tested positive for antibodies
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Infection Survey, antibody and vaccination data, UK - Office for National Statistics

Methods:
We include children over the age of 2 years, adolescents and adults in the survey. Children are included because it is essential to understand the prevalence and the incidence of symptomatic and asymptomatic infection in children.
COVID-19 Infection Survey: methods and further information - Office for National Statistics

Last edited:
“You’ve got to keep em separated!!”

(Offspring lyrics)

Eta:

“But in any case, he contends his lifelong history with Guillain-Barré Syndrome puts him at greater risk for side effects from a vaccination..”

I'm sort of in the same boat as this guy, but I haven't been kicked out of anything. I am all for the vaccine! I have had Bell's Palsy twice - when I was 18 and again in my early 30's. I eventually recovered the first time, but the second time left me with a permanent lazy eye and numbness on the inside of my cheek that will never go away - not to mention the intense headaches that I still have on that side of my head only.

I keep to my small circle and wear a mask, but have not vaccinated (same for flu shots, hepatitis shots, shingles, etc) - I struggle with and pray about it, but the odds on the Bell's Palsy thing are scary. I had Covid back in August, and thankfully made a full recovery.

I am truly grateful for every single person that vaccinates because without risking paralysis, you are my only hope that we reach herd immunity. Thank you all!!

edited for spelling

Actual question posed to me at work today: “Do you think Covid is coming back again?” I don’t understand it. No matter what msm a person watches or which newspaper is read or which sm is followed, how can anyone miss the numbers? My SO attended his co-worker’s/friend’s funeral yesterday (the one who passed in July). Another person gone way too soon from this horrible virus.
Yep, you should have asked if this person was living under a rock.

I'm sort of in the same boat as this guy, but I haven't been kicked out of anything. I am all for the vaccine! I have had Bell's Palsy twice - when I was 18 and again in my early 30's. I eventually recovered the first time, but the second time left me with a permanent lazy eye and numbness on the inside of my cheek that will never go away - not to mention the intense headaches that I still have on that side of my head only.

I keep to my small circle and wear a mask, but have not vaccinated (same for flu shots, hepatitis shots, shingles, etc) - I struggle with and pray about it, but the odds on the Bell's Palsy thing are scary. I had Covid back in August, and thankfully made a full recovery.

I am truly grateful for every single person that vaccinates because without risking paralysis, you are my only hope that we reach herd immunity. Thank you all!!

edited for spelling

I don’t think anyone could begrudge you being unvaccinated. Most have had this jab for the good of society as well as ourselves, and especially for people with valid medical exemptions like you. I’m glad you have a trusted circle of people around you. Stay safe :)

Maybe we should head up there for boosters?

Geeeezzzz...my very thought. Honestly. I' should be in Vermont in a month, and if they still let us in.... I definitely want to track this one. Pleasssse...Canada........keep us informed.

Geeeezzzz...my very thought. Honestly. I' should be in Vermont in a month, and if they still let us in.... I definitely want to track this one. Pleasssse...Canada........keep us informed.

Canada is working on letting in US fully vaccinated citizens on Monday (9th Aug), and other vaccinated foreign nationals on 1st September.

COVID-19: Entering Canada requirements checklist – Travel restrictions in Canada – Travel.gc.ca

There is a little hiccup though ... Canadian Border Forces intend to strike.

A PSAC news release says travelers "should expect long lineups and lengthy delays at border crossings and airports."
“Our members at CBSA have been on the front lines throughout the pandemic, and many have contracted COVID-19 while working”
“Now it’s time for the government to step up for them the way they’ve stepped up for Canadians.”
Canada border travel could see delays due to employee strike

Last edited:
Everyone is asked to show a health card, but if they don't have a health card, or if they've lost it, they can still be vaccinated.

You don't need Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage to get a vaccine in Ontario. The Ontario government announced that people without a health card are eligible for the vaccine.

This includes people with temporary status, such as refugee claimants with Interim Federal Health coverage and international students who don't have OHIP. It also includes people with no status.

The City of Toronto and its community partners continue to support the vaccination of residents without OHIP cards

Residents without OHIP cards can now book vaccine appointments at city-run clinics

Has there been anything in your news...that comments on AMERICANS coming over to get boosters???

Jacksonville hospitals now report more than 260 COVID-19 patients in ICUs

The much more contagious delta variant of the coronavirus continues to rage across Florida, sending another 526 people to the hospital and increasing the state’s record-setting total of hospitalizations to 12,041.

Of those, 135 are pediatric patients statewide.

Florida, Texas hospitals swamped by younger, unvaxxed COVID patients

I live in the county that has been "highest cases per capital" in the country..............
Just outside of Jacksonville.........
I have lost two acquaintances this week, and hear all the helicopters flying patients from my county hospital to Jacksonville every day....

I look at other parts of the country and just wanna say "it is coming to you too" DONT PRETEND. That is exactly what one of my friends/acquaintances was doing --one week before she died.

Jacksonville, FL becomes 'epicenter' of COVID surge, doctor says | firstcoastnews.com

Last edited:
The Delta virus spreading through greater Sydney is proving to be “an epidemic of younger people,” Prof Greg Dore, an infectious diseases doctor with St Vincent’s hospital in Sydney, said.

“It’s an epidemic of younger people, with a large proportion in their 20s and 30s, and we are certainly seeing that in the people we are looking after,” said Dore, who also treated patients during Australia’s first wave of the virus in 2020.

That’s partly due to the higher impact of higher vaccine coverage in older populations, and that’s certainly also the experience of the UK as well.

“No one in intensive care has been fully vaccinated. A small proportion are partially vaccinated. It’s clear full vaccination is having a strong impact on risk of hospitalisation.”

Sydney Covid Delta variant outbreak ‘an epidemic of young people’

Canada is working on letting in US fully vaccinated citizens on Monday (9th Aug), and other vaccinated foreign nationals on 1st September.

COVID-19: Entering Canada requirements checklist – Travel restrictions in Canada – Travel.gc.ca

There is a little hiccup though ... Canadian Border Forces intend to strike.

A PSAC news release says travelers "should expect long lineups and lengthy delays at border crossings and airports."
“Our members at CBSA have been on the front lines throughout the pandemic, and many have contracted COVID-19 while working”
“Now it’s time for the government to step up for them the way they’ve stepped up for Canadians.”
Canada border travel could see delays due to employee strike

i really really thought this would be cancelled ...before now.
i am trying to keep up...so thanks for these articles, South Aussie/down under!!!!!!!!
I am still wagering that entry will be cancelled.............. I would try to cross over a "less populated" entrance....but who knows what will be happening.

Everyone is asked to show a health card, but if they don't have a health card, or if they've lost it, they can still be vaccinated.

You don't need Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage to get a vaccine in Ontario. The Ontario government announced that people without a health card are eligible for the vaccine.

This includes people with temporary status, such as refugee claimants with Interim Federal Health coverage and international students who don't have OHIP. It also includes people with no status.

The City of Toronto and its community partners continue to support the vaccination of residents without OHIP cards

Residents without OHIP cards can now book vaccine appointments at city-run clinics

and they don't keep a record of those people??

We've had some businesses close down, some last year after the first time when everything closed.
Some were chains that closed and not all of them reopened again.

Our Target store closed in October 2020, but I think that was going to happen anyway.

And one small business said they were closing due to retirement, not sure if Covid brought it on or was anything at all to do with them closing.

we have so many businesses that closed - many large retail chains - like entire blocks of stores are empty and boarded up at my local mall

Oh yes the QR codes have been here for ages also.

The NSW Service Covid Login ones rolled out all at the same time all over New South Wales, pretty quickly last year.

It was just me being wary, and holding out and I didn't need to because it was not some way to keep track of us.

QR codes have actually been around for many years, in catalogues, shop windows, real estate mags.etc, plugging one thing or another.
I have used those over the years.

I wonder if they call them by a different name in other countries ?

we don't have it (as a check-in) where I am in Ontario but yes to scan for info etc. has been around for decades - I can't think what it's called here

Our local stores, churches and other gathering places are doing hand written contact tracing sheets (!) and screening at the door. We are rather in the dark ages about this.

we don't have that here at any places I've been to although I still only do grocery pickup and go to the drugstore but nada at any of those places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sazy3