Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Israel's COVID-19 vaccine boosters show signs of taming Delta

JERUSALEM, Aug 24 (Reuters) - Less than a month into a COVID-19 vaccine booster drive, Israel is seeing signs of an impact on the country's high infection and severe illness rates fuelled by the fast-spreading Delta variant, officials and scientists say.

That is good news- we learn lots of information regarding this virus from Israel

JERUSALEM, Aug 24 (Reuters) - Less than a month into a COVID-19 vaccine booster drive, Israel is seeing signs of an impact on the country's high infection and severe illness rates fuelled by the fast-spreading Delta variant, officials and scientists say.

That's so hopeful. I get my booster today (autoimmune RA). I hope and pray the boosters and the approval of Pfizer (yesterday) starts a positive trend here. I've been watching Israel and what's happening there since they authorized boosters. Fingers crossed.

Instead of listening to internet advice about a livestock dewormer, pay attention to the medical professionals.

The FDA has warned for months that ivermectin can be unsafe and has said that it has “received multiple reports of patients who have required medical support and been hospitalized after self-medicating with ivermectin intended for horses and cows."

View attachment 309994
GettyImages-1232913857.jpg

FDA, other health officials warn about ivermectin as COVID treatment

MO dad who gave 7 of his kids COVID: Nurses ‘can’t even stop to clean up the vomit’
He knew that COVID had claimed the lives of more than 600,000 people in the U.S. alone. But he thought he was too tough to become one of them.
Forget about herd immunity. This is one way to thin the herd.

** Good News for Boosters **

On July 30, it began administering a third dose of the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine to people over 60, the first country to do so. On Thursday it expanded eligibility to 40-year-olds and up whose second dose was given at least 5 months prior, saying the age may drop further.

In the past 10 days, the pandemic is abating among the first age group, more than a million of whom have received a third vaccine dose.

The rate of disease spread among vaccinated people age 60 and over - known as the reproduction rate - began falling steadily around Aug. 13 and has dipped below 1. A reproduction rate of less than 1 means an outbreak is subsiding.

Scientists said booster shots are having an impact on infections, but other factors are likely contributing to the decline as well.

"This is likely due to the third booster shots, an uptake in people taking the first dose and the high number of people who now have natural immunity."

A hospital is giving nurses up to to $40,000 in sign-on bonuses amid a dire nursing shortage

State of the nursing shortage: 7 notes

Tue, August 24, 2021, 11:15 AM

Nursing shortages have gripped hospitals in many states.

As states are gripped by a dire nursing shortage, some hospitals are offering sign-on bonuses of up to $40,000, better benefits, and hefty hourly rates to lure nurses through the doors.

Though a nursing shortage has been looming for years, the pandemic accelerated the number of nurses quitting the workforce and retiring early, as burnout and fear of contracting COVID-19 worsened working conditions.

In Florida, 70% of hospitals are facing critical staffing shortages as the number of COVID cases in the state surge, and there are 23,000 more vacancies in Texas than there are nurses to fill them, according to Becker's Hospital Review.

I think that many people think "they wouldn't have the event/activity/whatever if it wasn't safe".

That cruise lines wouldn't offer cruise tickets if cruises weren't safe, that the former president wouldn't have rallies if attendance wasn't safe, that DeSantis wouldn't outlaw mask restrictions if it wasn't safe to go without masks, that DisneyWorld would not be open if going to a crowded theme park wasn't safe, that bars wouldn't be open to all if going to a crowded bar wasn't safe.

They put a lot of trust in people and organisations who want to somehow profit, regardless of the safety aspect.

I know you're right about that. A lot of people don't pay a lot of attention to the news anymore, and they're not on forums like this one. They just wait to hear if an event is happening, and if it is, they assume it's because it's safe.

Medication names always seem like a bunch of letters chosen at random.

This has bothered me for a long time!! But there is method to their madness... and much of it is just legal.

BUT...there is certainly a propensity to end the drug name in a "a". I'm convinced it just gives the name a nice sing-songy lilt with an "a" ending!!

"Once a name can be shown to be unique from a trademark perspective, it’s still got a long way to go. Companies can easily spend more than a year, sometimes two years, getting through the creative process, the trademark process, and then FDA approval process.

The FDA is getting particularly tough, rejecting about four out of every 10 name proposals, because it wants to avoid medication mix-ups that can lead to dangerous—sometimes deadly—adverse reactions, Budd says. The poster child for brand confusion is Celebrex (a pain medication) getting mixed up with Celexa (an anti-depressant)."

Xconomy: Why Are Drugs Getting Such Weird Brand Names?

I have always thought one contributing factor to patients with mild Covid vs patients with worse symptoms is the viral load.

Like my Doctor got Covid a few months before vaccines were out and ended up in the hospital. I suspect she was exposed to a high viral load going into all those smallish exam rooms and breathing in virus particles for a significant length of time.

But you could have Jane Doe in and out of a crowded place within 10 minutes and she gets a smaller viral load and gets asymptomatic Covid or a mild case of it.

Apparently Delta sheds much more virus into the air, I guess this could be one explanation for the 300 X's increase.

Hesitant Americans get vaccine after Pfizer gets FDA approval

Tue, August 24, 2021, 11:22 AM

It was the Food and Drug Administration's Monday announcement that it has granted full approval to Pfizer and BioNTech for their COVID-19 vaccine that convinced 19-year-old Cailin Magee to line up at a vaccine clinic at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and get the shot.

"I was being ignorant. There's really no running away from it anymore," Magee told CBS News' David Begnaud.

One of those on the fence was 19-year-old Callie Roszell. She had been indecisive about receiving a COVID vaccine for months, but that changed Monday morning when she heard the news about the approval.

"That's what did it for me. And ... it's also going to be required on campus," Roszell said.

After the FDA gave full approval to the Pfizer vaccine, for Americans 16 and up, many employers and universities started issuing ultimatums, telling workers and students to get the vaccine or they cannot return in person.

The Pentagon is moving ahead with a vaccination requirement for all active duty service members.

New York City Public Schools mandated at least one shot for all staff by September 27.

United Airlines, which already announced a vaccine mandate, says its staff must be fully vaccinated by the same date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lisa0457