Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #99

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Covid: WHO warns of new 'Mu' variant found in Colombia - and it's already been found in the UK | Daily Mail Online

World Health Organization bosses are now officially tracking another Covid variant named 'Mu'.

The mutant strain — which also has the scientific name B.1.621 — was first detected in Colombia in January.

Almost 4,000 cases have been spotted since then, and it has spread to more than 40 countries.

Nearly 50 cases of Mu have been spotted in Britain so far, and hundreds have been identified in the US.

The WHO's weekly bulletin claimed its mutations suggest it may be more resistant to vaccines, as was the case with the South African 'Beta' variant. There are fears it may be more infectious, too.

But the agency warned more studies would be needed to examine this further, with the WHO having now formally labelled Mu a 'variant of interest'.

JCVI announces only 500,000 immunocompromised Brits should get Covid booster vaccines | Daily Mail Online

JCVI announces only 500,000 immunocompromised Brits should get Covid booster vaccines - despite data from Israel showing big dip in hospitalisations after they were introduced to all over-60s
  • Between 400,000 and 500,000 of most vulnerable Brits eligible for doses, including leukemia, HIV patients
  • JCVI said there was evidence many of these people did not mount a strong immune response after two shots
  • The expert panel has delayed a wider booster programme, claiming it needs more evidence before signing off

Personal experience ...... my DD had her first child 10 days ago. She is a nurse.

She did a ton of research, and was in to have her Pfizer shot as soon as ATAGI gave the go-ahead for pregnant women. She tried to have it earlier, but her hospital wouldn't give it to her without ATAGI approval.

Her outlook was that it was her only chance to give their baby some antibodies, as it is going to be a long time before there is a covid vaccination for little ones.

Baby is absolutely fine and progressing well, my DD is fine too ... and everyone is now protected. Which is very reassuring.
(I was glad that my DD had the vaccines after the first 3 months of pregnancy though, as that is sometimes the dicey time.)

Pregnant women are considered priority vaccination candidates in Australia and NZ, as per this link .....

RANZCOG - COVID-19 Vaccination Information

How exciting! Congratulations, Nana! Is this your first one? Your daughter sounds just like you (super intelligent and thoughtful of others).

School barely started here, in person, and already my neighbor's children are off for two weeks due to quarantine, close contact to a case.

This is just the beginning of another school year down the drain.

I think she'll regret that.

She can always, always go back to nursing. I too know several healthcare workers who are planning a break or have quit (one is working as a teacher at a private PreK-1 school, he was a nurse in the COVID ward for 9 months, couldn't take it any more). He had to live in a trailer in his backyard to avoid infecting his own wife and kids.

My own daughter (nurse), who probably won't actually quit, is tearfully considering it and none of us knows what to do about it (long story, but the only other doctor in the specialty where she works up and quit and has left his patients without anyone to renew prescriptions, so her own clinic is beseiged and the doctor she works for was already thinking about pre-retirement slow-down, and she already manages his caseload of more than 300 patients. Most of them need monthly bloodwork and appointments of some kind. My good friend who is a nurse (in AZ) has retired.

So we need nurses, and there aren't enough, and the ones we have are not inexhaustible, superhuman beings. Working in fast food or Target seems like an actual vacation to many of them.

2 top FDA officials resigned over the Biden administration's booster-shot plan, saying it insisted on the policy before the agency approved it, reports say

Two top FDA officials resign due to Biden authorizing third booster before it has been approved by the FDA.

This is pretty serious.

I think we need new top officials at the FDA, so I think it's overall good that they resigned.

I don't know who Biden is listening to or wants in their place, but if scientists were in charge, those boosters would be available (and people can choose whether to do them - hopefully realizing that another shot of what they already had is not going to harm them. Perhaps he's relying on the Israeli research, which is wonderfully conducted and shows the need for the booster (for Israel, it's all 60+, it's broader).

Nearly always they come to the clinic not wearing a mask. We have to provide them with one, which they wear in the clinic but throw into the trash on their way out the door. So they are sick with COVID, yet not wearing a mask.

Our job has become beyond frustrating.
RSBM

That's unbelievably disturbing.
What happened to thoughtful, considerate, kind gestures we were experiencing everywhere before the pandemic? I remember many at giving and receiving.

So sad to see people becoming more heartless, cruel, barbaric. Those maskless Covid positives not only don't care if they infect others but their actions show their desire to intentionally infect others. Just nasty.

She can always, always go back to nursing. I too know several healthcare workers who are planning a break or have quit (one is working as a teacher at a private PreK-1 school, he was a nurse in the COVID ward for 9 months, couldn't take it any more). He had to live in a trailer in his backyard to avoid infecting his own wife and kids.

My own daughter (nurse), who probably won't actually quit, is tearfully considering it and none of us knows what to do about it (long story, but the only other doctor in the specialty where she works up and quit and has left his patients without anyone to renew prescriptions, so her own clinic is beseiged and the doctor she works for was already thinking about pre-retirement slow-down, and she already manages his caseload of more than 300 patients. Most of them need monthly bloodwork and appointments of some kind. My good friend who is a nurse (in AZ) has retired.

So we need nurses, and there aren't enough, and the ones we have are not inexhaustible, superhuman beings. Working in fast food or Target seems like an actual vacation to many of them.

I think we need new top officials at the FDA, so I think it's overall good that they resigned.

I don't know who Biden is listening to or wants in their place, but if scientists were in charge, those boosters would be available (and people can choose whether to do them - hopefully realizing that another shot of what they already had is not going to harm them. Perhaps he's relying on the Israeli research, which is wonderfully conducted and shows the need for the booster (for Israel, it's all 60+, it's broader).

I am wondering what the harm could be in getting that booster, and if there
is no harm, why is the FDA so upset with the whitehouse recommendation?

I think it can’t be good for careers in the healthcare field.

One of my coworkers, a nurse, keeps saying she is going to resign and go work at Target.

This is what I'm worried about in the nursing home where my mom is--already they're short-staffed, which is worrisome, but the aides are not paid well and if they don't want to get the shot, they'll just find another job.

I think most of the residents are vaccinated, but of course, I don't know. We get bi-weekly updates (they test on Tue. and Fri.) and yesterday, we had three staff test positive and one resident. No names, of course, or whether they're nurses, aides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
everyoneblooms