Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coronavirus: New York City Eyes First Suspected Case, Officials Say

“Local authorities are unable to test for the virus so they are sending a sample to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for confirmation. Based on the patient’s symptoms and travel history from China, they are taking it seriously. This is the first time that city officials have sent a sample to the C.D.C. for testing.

Another reason the health authorities suspect it is the novel coronavirus: They have tested it for influenza and other common illnesses, and those tests came back negative, health officials said.

The health authorities said the individual is under 40 and is in stable condition. They said they do not expect to receive results from the C.D.C. for 36 to 48 hours, or possibly longer.”

Last edited:
@dotr thanks for the response, but if this site has the info I’m looking for, I’m at a loss as to where it is.
The one I’m referring to has the confirmed cases broken down by severity of symptoms.
X number in serious condition
X number with mild symptoms
Etc,...

I haven’t seen that one I don’t think, but I’ll certainly keep my eyes open for it.

The Geopolitical Consequences of the Coronavirus Outbreak

An interesting read on the economic/geopolitical impact, MOO

I look forward to reading the two articles you posted. :)

While we’ve got you on the line, Dixiegirl, would you mind please checking flights into African Nations during January, since you’re so good with the airplane stuff? :) Tia if you can get to it, if not no worries, it’s just a Global Emergency, no rush or anything jk.

Last edited:
Just reposting this from Dotr for Diggndeeperstill re imports and virus

rbbm
Can I get coronavirus from a package delivered from China?
''Residents at the epicenter of China’s mysterious viral outbreak are quarantined. But their mailed shipments are not. Does that pose a risk?

It’s a legitimate question because we import so many products from China.

But U.S. health officials said on Monday that there is no evidence to support the transmission of the new coronavirus through imported goods.

“In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the Center for Disease Control’s Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said in a Monday morning press briefing.

Even in the worse case scenario — say, a sneezing person packaged your $700 used Apple iPhone 11, bought on Amazon and shipped to your home by air via United Parcel Service or FedEx — isn’t dangerous.''

''To be sure, there isn’t research about the specific resiliency of this virus, because it is so new. But studies show that its cousin viruses, SARS and MERS, only live for few hours on the surface of an object. They are spread most often by respiratory droplets from one person to another.

It typically takes at least three days for a package to get from China to California, according to UPS and FedEx. So the virus wouldn’t be able to survive long enough to get you sick.''

Not exactly PC, imo.
Africa Mobilizes Against Coronavirus As It Spreads to More Countries

''On Saturday, the Democratic Republic of Congo became the latest African nation to ask citizens to avoid travel to China "until further notice".

The government is also "studying the possibility of repatriating citizens presently in China," government spokesman David-Jolino Diwampovesa Makelele said.''

Egypt, Morocco, Ethiopia, Kenya, South Africa, Rwanda, and Mauritius are expected to "enhance screening" because of frequent traffic with China, he said.

- 'Avoid Chinese shops' -

Elsewhere, governments have enacted travel bans or urged people to remain indoors, adding to a sense of alarm.

Fears of an outbreak were rife in Nigeria this week, when authorities shut a Chinese supermarket in the capital Abuja. But they did so to remove expired products.

The southern African country of Botswana announced a suspected case on Friday, also sparking fears.

"The first thing is to avoid going to Chinese shops as much as possible," said Mqondisi Dube, a journalist in the capital Gabarone.

And in the West African archipelago of Cape Verde, locals are rushing to buy fennel because of false claims it heals coronavirus.

In a sign of extreme caution, some governments are also asking Chinese nationals to remain indoors.

Nigeria has urged any person arriving from China to "self-isolate" for at least two weeks, even if they are not ill.

The Chinese embassy in Mauritania has similarly asked its recent arrivals in the West African country to remain indoors for two weeks.

In Mozambique, the government has suspended visas for Chinese citizens and forbidden its citizens from traveling there.''

I look forward to reading the two articles you posted. :)

While we’ve got you on the line, Dixiegirl, would you mind please checking flights into African Nations during January, since you’re so good with the airplane stuff? :) Tia if you can get to it, if not no worries, it’s just a Global Emergency, no rush or anything jk.

Margarita, I wouldn't know how to get information on those January flights sorry.

As to those two articles, the WaPo one was most enlightening as I didn't put together the Russian summit timing in China along with Trump redoing the trade agreement were the days that they were saying "no new infections".

OOOPsie.. no politics Dixie! *self flagellation* ... I'm off to read and not post as I'll get this thread shut down and none of us want that to happen for sure.

As New Virus Spread, China’s Old Habits Delayed Fight

WUHAN, China — A mysterious illness had stricken seven patients at a hospital, and a doctor tried to warn his medical school classmates. “Quarantined in the emergency department,” the doctor, Li Wenliang, wrote in an online chat group on Dec. 30, referring to patients.

GREAT article, thanks! Yes, read the WaPo article about 6 posts above to tie this all in

Last edited:
I saw a video on BBC yesterday - I’m not sure which city it was in, but it showed a mob of persons duct-taping the exterior edges around the front door of a house containing people from Wuhan. They were literally trying to “seal them in” with duct tape.

ETA: I’m thinking maybe it was Hong Kong.

Last edited:
Found it !!
It’s on the World Health Organisation website under “Situation report”

https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...20200201-sitrep-12-ncov.pdf?sfvrsn=273c5d35_2

From today’s report:

SITUATION IN NUMBERS
total and new cases in last 24 hours

Globally
11953 confirmed (2128 new)

China
11821 confirmed (2102 new)
1795 severe (268 new)
259 deaths (46 new)

Outside of China
132 confirmed (26 new)
23 countries (4 new)

Found it !!

https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...20200201-sitrep-12-ncov.pdf?sfvrsn=273c5d35_2

From today’s report:

SITUATION IN NUMBERS

Globally

China
1795 severe (268 new)
259 deaths (46 new)

Outside of China
132 confirmed (26 new)
23 countries (4 new)

I thought it sounded “situation report-y” :)

ETA: Bringing the latest situation reports forward. I commented that these reports are “Jackpot” in the last thread, but forgot to really go over them and check the new ones. Thanks for the reminder.

Situation report - 12
Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
1 February 2020

Situation report - 11
31 January 2020

Situation report - 10
30 January 2020

Situation report - 9
29 January 2020

Situation report - 8
28 January 2020

Situation report - 7
27 January 2020

Situation report - 6
26 January 2020

Situation report - 5
25 January 2020

Situation report - 4
24 January 2020

Situation report - 3
23 January 2020

Situation report - 2
22 January 2020

Situation report - 1
21 January 2020

Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) situation reports

Last edited:

Fans Claim The Simpsons Predicted Coronavirus Outbreak In 1993 Episode – Deadline
''Loyal viewers of The Simpsons believe the animated Fox comedy warned the world about the coronavirus decades ago.

As proof, they’re citing a 1993 episode of the animated series, which featured a storyline about a virus called Osaka Flu spreading through Springfield after residents ordered juicers from Japan.

The episode shows juicers being packed into boxes as one of the workers says, “Please don’t tell the supervisor I have the flu.” He then coughs into the box, sending the virus to the U.S. Once the fancy juicers arrive in Springfield, most of the residents fall ill.''

Found it !!

From today’s report:

SITUATION IN NUMBERS

Globally

China
1795 severe (268 new)
259 deaths (46 new)

Outside of China
132 confirmed (26 new)
23 countries (4 new)

You ROCK! Thanks as I was looking and looking in my history and couldn't find. LOL, it's in my search bar as a favorite link... DUH!

A second set of coronavirus evacuees from the Chinese city of Wuhan are set to arrive in Arrowe Park Hospital to be quarantined tomorrow.

A leaked email from chief executive Janelle Holmes to staff appears to confirm a number of British nationals, who missed the first flight on Thursday, will be arriving on Sunday.

New wave of coronavirus evacuees arriving at Arrowe Park tomorrow
As New Virus Spread, China’s Old Habits Delayed Fight

WUHAN, China — A mysterious illness had stricken seven patients at a hospital, and a doctor tried to warn his medical school classmates. “Quarantined in the emergency department,” the doctor, Li Wenliang, wrote in an online chat group on Dec. 30, referring to patients.

That was such a good read and informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stewsj