Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/who-sends-team-china-coronavirus-1.5451436
gfx-web-map-global-coronavirus-outbreak-feb04.jpg

Officials in Hong Kong are using wristbands to track families that are under Wuhan coronavirus quarantine
''Public health officials in Hong Kong said they plan to use wristbands to track people placed on home quarantine after they returned from China's Hubei province, the center of the coronavirus epidemic.

Those who evade the mandatory quarantine risk being tracked by the police, facing up to six months in jail, and paying a fine of $641, the South China Morning Post reported Monday''.

''According to the report, Hong Kong said it had 500 wristbands ready to use for the at-home quarantines, and that 30 families had been selected to receive the wristbands. Government officials said the wristbands do not use GPS but would be connected to a smartphone required to remain connected in a person's home''

''China gave a rare admission of fault, admitting 'deficiencies' in its response to the Wuhan coronavirus that has now infected more than 20,000 people

Wuhan is scrambling to turn sports stadiums and exhibition centers into makeshift coronavirus hospitals to fight the spread of the virus''

I don't quite understand the point of putting so many beds in stadiums and other buildings. If they need intense medical care, how is that provided in a stadium full of beds? I wonder if it's assumed that most will recover, and the stadium is a form of quarantine.

Leaders of developing countries in Asia have dismissed growing concerns about the coronavirus, despite warnings from health experts that they are the most vulnerable.

The leaders of smaller countries including Cambodia, Thailand and Myanmar have chosen to maintain open borders with China, and downplayed or dismissed concerns over the virus’s increasingly global reach.

A growing list of countries including Australia, the United States, Russia, Japan, Pakistan and South Korea have barred entry to foreigners who had recently visited Hubei, and in some cases the entire mainland.
China’s neighbours downplay coronavirus fears

A nurse working to treat patients diagnosed with the deadly coronavirus has suffered extensive cuts and "scars" on her hands.

According to reports, Hu Pei's wounds to her hands were caused by overuse, particularly the continual replacement of medical gloves, handwashing and the use of antibacterial handwash. Reports described her hands as being "shriveled and scarred".

“Washing hands and disinfecting after a nick on your hands can be very painful,” Hu Pei said.

A series of images shared by China Global Television Network show nurse Hu Pei with hundreds of tiny cuts on her hands. A photo of her face was also shared. According to reports, the images were shared as part of a WeChat social media campaign to support medical staff who had been working long hours in difficult circumstances as the death toll rises.
RUSH HOUR: Nurse suffers injuries from 'days of fighting' coronavirus

I wonder if South America and Africa are not reporting, or if no one from an infected area has travelled to those locations.

South Africa is indeed a member of the World Health Organization, and is required to report as is all their members.

South Africa
and WHO | Alphabetical List of WHO Member States is a list of all countries that are members of WHO

Officials in Hong Kong are using wristbands to track families that are under Wuhan coronavirus quarantine
''Public health officials in Hong Kong said they plan to use wristbands to track people placed on home quarantine after they returned from China's Hubei province, the center of the coronavirus epidemic.

Those who evade the mandatory quarantine risk being tracked by the police, facing up to six months in jail, and paying a fine of $641, the South China Morning Post reported Monday''.

''According to the report, Hong Kong said it had 500 wristbands ready to use for the at-home quarantines, and that 30 families had been selected to receive the wristbands. Government officials said the wristbands do not use GPS but would be connected to a smartphone required to remain connected in a person's home''

''China gave a rare admission of fault, admitting 'deficiencies' in its response to the Wuhan coronavirus that has now infected more than 20,000 people

Wuhan is scrambling to turn sports stadiums and exhibition centers into makeshift coronavirus hospitals to fight the spread of the virus''

So sad that it has come to this, yet it appears that the G7 countries are leading the way with having military operations involved in such. It's just that US, Germany and others that are moving the evacuees to miltary bases are not under media fire. It's outta control in China it appears.. I don't think it can be controlled.

Is the reason that Hong Kong is using wristbands is that they don't have the space to place them as the G7 countries are finding? They don't have a place for them which they are on a military base and cannot "escape"?

As to Wujan using convention centers with beds, that is just awful. But here in the US, what city, realistically, could handle 15,000 ill individuals with a communicable disease. I cannot fathom that there is one in the US. And I cannot fathom another country other than China that could build 2 hospitals (one in 8 days)... Just something that I've been thinking about.

I don't quite understand the point of putting so many beds in stadiums and other buildings. If they need intense medical care, how is that provided in a stadium full of beds? I wonder if it's assumed that most will recover, and the stadium is a form of quarantine.

I have heard that they are flying in medical folks from all over to help, that is what health care folks do in a crisis (and MSM are asking why). But I too wonder what is going to be done in a convention center. I do hope that all are positive to be placed there, as that is a worst case scenario for spreading the virus to those that don't have it. My uneducated guess, positive folks that don't have a place to quarantine in place away from folks. TRAGIC

In the teleconference yesterday, they said again and again and again the goal was to slow it down.

Last edited:
“Researchers at the University of Hong Kong say more than 75,000 individuals could already be infected with the virus, much higher than the official total. Raymond James analyst Chris Meekins believes infections are likely above 100,000.

"Based on the current trajectory of the virus, [the R naught] should be higher than SARS," Huang said.

It's also possible the R naught estimate could decrease or differ, depending on how well other countries contain local outbreaks, according to Marc Lipsitch, a professor of epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health.“
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEOICQx06a2O2dSDgxiCXeuoqGQgEKhAIACoHCAow2Nb3CjDivdcCMP3ungY?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

Seems to me that the latest news is conflicting- some stuff downplaying the virus and others saying its worse than originally thought o_O I guess more time is needed.

News on the virus seems sparse today. I would have thought more US cases would have cropped up by now. Wonder where the updates are for all the cases that have been “pending”? Seems like the CV news has crept to the bottom of the page with the election stuff.

Is the reason that Hong Kong is using wristbands is that they don't have the space to place them as the G7 countries are finding? They don't have a place for them which they are on a military base and cannot "escape"?

As to Wujan using convention centers with beds, that is just awful. But here in the US, what city, realistically, could handle 15,000 ill individuals with a communicable disease. I cannot fathom that there is one in the US. And I cannot fathom another country other than China that could build 2 hospitals (one in 8 days)... Just something that I've been thinking about.

I have heard that they are flying in medical folks from all over to help, that is what health care folks do in a crisis (and MSM are asking why). But I too wonder what is going to be done in a convention center. I do hope that all are positive to be placed there, as that is a worst case scenario for spreading the virus to those that don't have it. My uneducated guess, positive folks that don't have a place to quarantine in place away from folks. TRAGIC

In the teleconference yesterday, they said again and again and again the goal was to slow it down.

I tried to find out how many total hospital beds there are in China and wow.

As of 2018, there were 6.52 Million hospital beds in all of China. I guess the problem is they cant just use any old hospital room and bed to house infected people because of the risk to other patients.

Just found that number of hospital beds staggering. Wow. Graph shows how they increased in number of beds over the years.

China: number of hospital beds 2018 | Statista

For contrast, below is a link that claims the US hospital bed numbers.

"In 1975, there were about 1.5 million hospital beds in the U.S., but until 2017 the number dropped to just about 931 thousand."

Hospital beds number U.S. 1975-2017 | Statista

Last edited:

That information and number for infected/positive, recovered, deceased coincides with the Johns Hopkins site we have been following since the 20th.
Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

A new addition to the one you have is the "suspected" cases category, which I've seen folks wanting to see. Thanks! I've never seen that one before, and wonder where they are lifting that info from as I don't see on WHO or John Hopkins site, not that I doubt it.

Same.JPG

Last edited:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/2nd-case-of-coronavirus-confirmed-in-b-c-1.5451915

A second case of coronavirus has been identified in the Vancouver Coastal Health region of B.C., according to provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry. A woman in her 50s is believed to have contracted coronavirus after a preliminary test came back positive Monday night. The woman had been in contact with family visitors from Wuhan. Vancouver Coastal Health is also following up with the woman's family members.

Concerning numbers considering these are very likely a lot less than the real total.
Yes, I think that is the general assumption, that the numbers are under-reported, at least for Hubei province. The numbers in Hubei are likely much higher.

We've discussed this from a few different angles on the thread....and we will likely keep discussing it.

jmo

Thanks everyone for all the posts. I have been popping in and catching up. There were some "developments" in the G. Stauch case. So I have over there quite a bit. Sorry to derail the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeptemberDaffodil