Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I get you. All you said.

For instance, know that Ebola is really nasty, but I honestly didn’t worry about it. You know because it was in such a remote (mostly) part of the world. Areas that weren’t as heavily populated. And that population were not (for the most part) globe trotting. There was no concern of 5 million plus people exiting from the epicenter of the Ebola virus. And with the other viruses they don’t have the symptom free but contagious aspect.-and well because the response of the Chinese government tells me that I should be worried...

(sorry for this rush post. Busy day - and trying to get dinner ready)

EXCEPT; it DID make it to Atlanta GA. Major populated area. I myself lived on 200 miles to the east.

Heard that China does not want businesses to reopen until mid February. As a small business owner, I can tell you that would put us out of business. We were shut down for a week due to fires and we had to use our savings to keep the doors open.

I think those who are stuck at this point should be worried. It took approx. 6 months to contain SARS. How long will this take? Speaking to the hot spots where transportation and shops are shut down. I hope there is a plan to get any aid for these poor folk.

EXCEPT; it DID make it to Atlanta GA. Major populated area. I myself lived on 200 miles to the east.
Oh right, sorry, yes it did. In that case, the patient was a known to be infected? IIRC, he was a doctor/missionary who was brought in for treatment with a high level of caution.

I remember watching video the day he arrived., I think the whole country watching

Heard that China does not want businesses to reopen until mid February. As a small business owner, I can tell you that would put us out of business. We were shut down for a week due to fires and we had to use our savings to keep the doors open.
It could impact world markets, as other countries rely on products from China.

But, what I'm wondering is if workers will be paid (even if production is shut down)? I've heard it phrased like "New Year's holiday has been extended." I don't know if that means holiday pay or not, but it is a curious way I've heard it phrased.

jmo

Small tip. Had instruction in September on hand washing for school. We were told people wash their hands but many don't wash between their thumbs and pointer fingers. I ran to the bathroom, washed my hands like usual and bam! I realized the nurse was right! Now I make a point to clean those two areas!! Also told to say the alphabet while washing hands to give yourself time to get good and clean. I have gotten a lot less sick at school this year I think. Only 1 sick day!

Small tip. Had instruction in September on hand washing for school. We were told people wash their hands but many don't wash between their thumbs and pointer fingers. I ran to the bathroom, washed my hands like usual and bam! I realized the nurse was right! Now I make a point to clean those two areas!! Also told to say the alphabet while washing hands to give yourself time to get good and clean. I have gotten a lot less sick at school this year I think. Only 1 sick day!
So true. If you don't do it properly then why do it. Just an FYI rings and long nails harbour germs :(

Hey, nobody has shared cookies with me!

I do have.....wait for it.....Corona to share. Seriously, that's what I'm enjoying right now.

jmo
I'll send you a box lol Have one for me. I miss my Pinio Grigio so much but I'm on a strict low oxalate diet. No alcohol at all since last Sept. My life is over as I know it lol Grrrrrrr

Coronavirus outbreak: Some Americans evacuated from Wuhan as death toll rises

“A plane chartered by the U.S. government to evacuate as many as 240 Americans from the Chinese city at the center of the coronavirus outbreak landed overnight in Anchorage, Alaska to refuel before heading for Southern California. It's carrying diplomats from the U.S. Consulate in Wuhan and other U.S. citizens. Before the flight left China there were more than 1,000 Americans stuck in Wuhan.

Other countries have also begun evacuating citizens from China on chartered flights.”

[...]

“More than 100 people in the U.S. were being tested for the disease across 26 states on Tuesday.”

—-

So what happens when they get to Southern Cal? Will they be quarantined or anything? I’m wondering about all the people (of various origins) being evacuated - considering they can be symptomless, how do they know all these people won’t bring the virus back with them?

FTR, I’m just asking- I’m not saying anyone deserves to be stranded there, nor am I stating an opinion on the matter, that we shouldn’t help our fellow citizens. I think this is a fair question considering the circumstances and I’m sure I’m not the only person wondering about this.

—-

ETA: Here is the process:

Americans evacuated from China undergo screening in Alaska before quarantine.

“A chartered plane carrying more than 200 Americans from Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in China, landed in Anchorage shortly after 9:20 p.m. local time on Tuesday, according to flight tracking services.

The 240 passengers, including diplomats and businesspeople, were to undergo medical screening at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, the local authorities said. The plane was also to be refueled before flying to March Air Reserve Base in Riverside County, Calif., its final destination.

Jim Szczesniak, the airport manager, said that the aircraft would be “handled in a remote location” and that medical staff from the United States Centers for Disease Control would check patients in an isolated area. Passengers would remain in a terminal that is not currently being used by commercial carriers or accessible to the public.

“The passengers will be screened and go through the immigration process,” Mr. Szczesniak said. “They will reboard their flight and head to their final destination.”

However, any passengers found to have a cough, fever or shortness of breath in Anchorage will be further assessed by medical experts, according to a statement released by Alaska’s Department of Health and Social Services. If the medical team determines that special care is necessary, it will refer those passengers to a nearby hospital.”

Coronavirus Live Updates: U.S. Evacuates Citizens from Hot Zone, and Death Toll Mounts

—-

Ok, I’m not going to lie, this concerns me a little bit. Again, I’m not saying anyone deserves to be stuck anywhere.

So, to understand clearly, one can receive a valid result via this screening process even if they are symptomless or in an incubation period??

Idk, I’d like to see more about this.

Or not. :eek:

They will check the passengers on arrival into the USA in Alaska. They will only be checking for people who have active symptoms of cold/flu. Those ones will go to hospital to be treated in isolation and tested to see if they test positive for the new coronavirus. I'm not sure how long the test takes to be done and come back?

The rest of the passengers will go to the next phase of travel to California. It doesn't specify exactly what will happen then....will they go into a quarantine center there, or will they be allowed to go home and into isolation at their own homes? But I would certainly expect anyone incoming on these fights to be expected to be isolated for approximately 14 days from their last contact with a known case. So if in 5 days someone starts showing symptoms, then their known contacts have a further 14 days apart from the general population.

I would also expect/hope that the government, if anyone is self-isolated at home, would deliver groceries and medications to their home for them so that they have no reason to go out to the store or anything like that.

But if the govt. has somewhere like a disused airbase that still has serviceable buildings onsite, then it might be that the govt. intends for the passengers to remain there instead of going onto their homes, which could be in various other parts of the country and require further plane travel...which I doubt the govt. would want to happen, therefore military quarters or a hanger might be used for a quarantine center.

People who are in quarantine centers would likely be checked twice daily for symptoms by a nurse, and have blood tests taken during their stay, and before release from quarantine. In this way they might be able to catch some cases before the individual has symptoms, and they'll test before release to ensure the person isn't infected but not showing symptoms, but by 14 days after last contact with a confirmed infected individual I believe the virus ought to show in their blood. (Or saliva tests, or whatever they're using for the testing).

It could impact world markets, as other countries rely on products from China.

But, what I'm wondering is if workers will be paid (even if production is shut down)? I've heard it phrased like "New Year's holiday has been extended." I don't know if that means holiday pay or not, but it is a curious way I've heard it phrased.

jmo

We'll see how China market is impacted as the Chinese Stock Market hasn't been open since last Thursday, and will reopen (still?) after the holiday on Friday. Closed for a week.

A health-security expert says we're in an 'age of epidemics.' We can expect a future outbreak worse than the Wuhan coronavirus.
"Infectious diseases will continue to emerge and re-emerge. I think it's part of the world we live in now," Eric Toner, a senior scientist at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, told Business Insider. "We're in an age of epidemics because of globalization, because of encroachment on wild environments."

''In an op-ed for The New York Times on Monday, science writer David Quammen wrote that the wildlife trade in Asia, Africa, and the US — particularly the kind that happens at dense markets in which live and dead animals are sold in a small space — is partially responsible for the current epidemic.''
''SARS and the H7N9 and H5N9 bird flus also originated in wet markets''

''Wuhan is the most densely populated city in central China, with 11 million people tightly clustered within the city limits. Crowded conditions increases the likelihood that people will transmit infectious diseases, research from the University of Geneva has shown.

Wuhan is also replete with wet markets.

"Poorly regulated live-animal markets mixed with illegal wildlife trade offer a unique opportunity for viruses to spill over from wildlife hosts into the human population.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vingigi