Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

If you were offered the Pfizer vaccine in the next 30 days would you take it?

• Yes

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you are feeling much better since your shot. That is good. I was disappointed where I had the vaccine (medical center) that they didn't space people far enough apart while we were waiting 15 min after the injection. Kind of a small room and too many patients. I haven't been in a room with that many people since before the pandemic began.
I am really surprised about that. Every vaccine site that I have seen has been very well planned out with chairs spread far apart and socially distant signs and arrows on the floor to indicate one way traffic.

The only sites I have seen though have been inside hospitals, or off-hospital locations but conducted by hospital personnel.

Walgreens
Nothing on the floor, no social distancing, sit in a chair right at the pharmacy pickup counter where people stand in line to get their prescriptions, no cleaning of chair between people, tell you to “walk around the store” for 15 minutes after your shot.

Walgreens
Nothing on the floor, no social distancing, sit in a chair right at the pharmacy pickup counter where people stand in line to get their prescriptions, no cleaning of chair between people, tell you to “walk around the store” for 15 minutes after your shot.
Darn it! Was going to check Walgreens for mine , it’s a tiny space by pharmacy and I can see how no distancing possible. The walking around store for 15 minutes in case of anaphylactic reaction seems crazy!

I am really surprised about that. Every vaccine site that I have seen has been very well planned out with chairs spread far apart and socially distant signs and arrows on the floor to indicate one way traffic.

The only sites I have seen though have been inside hospitals, or off-hospital locations but conducted by hospital personnel.

I was surprised too since this was an outpatient hospital facility--i have to get my 2nd shot there as well, but i think i will try and find a seat away from all those people next time I am there. I really don't understand how hospital personnel can't figure this out any better.

Walgreens

I was thinking that might be the situation in a drug store/pharmacy situation where they are giving vaccines since they don't have much room---walking around for 15 minutes after the shot is a really bad idea.

Thank you for posting this info. I'm trying to figure out what went wrong so it doesn't happen next month. We all know there's very good coverage with ONE dose, so I'm putting all my hope on next month's dose. ( Moderna vaccine, of course).

While what happened really sucks, I think the chances are very good that you will receive enough protection from your second injection. If you were to contract COVID after that second shot, you might simply just have the equivalent of a mild cold, or possibly even asymptomatic infection. Turning a deadly disease into a mild cold would still be a major triumph.

I don't blame you for being extremely disappointed, however.

Darn it! Was going to check Walgreens for mine , it’s a tiny space by pharmacy and I can see how no distancing possible. The walking around store for 15 minutes in case of anaphylactic reaction seems crazy!
I’ve heard from family members that there is more room and social distancing/better setup if it is a CVS with a minute clinic.
JMO

Am I the ONLY person who remembers when injections, especially vaccines, were given at the County Health Department by an RN or LPN, or at one's doctor's office also by an RN or LPN?

Why are supermarkets with Pharmacies and chain drugstores now the place to get something as important as a vaccine injection by a Pharmacist ( they are not taught to give injections in Pharmacy school unless the training is something new)?

My doctor tried to get me to go to the dang Kroger ( grocery store) for a Shingles vaccine. I told him " No way I'm standing in the produce section to get something as important as a shingles vaccine".
Addendum- I'd recently had shingles and received antiviral and retroviral medications. Duh, doc.

I won't even get my annual Flu vaccine from a busy drugstore Pharmacist after seeing how they take phone orders, check people out, then handle paperwork and my insurance card, then prepares the med and my arm and no hands were washed in all that time.
I go to one of our private EMS stations here, and a Paramedic or RN who gives injections day in and day our gives me my vaccine.
We really shouldn't have to settle for anything that could hurt/ kill us as when the goal is for the medication to protect us.

Note- It's not the public's fault. It's another shortcut in our healthcare system, and also a way to keep well people moving quickly through the lines.

I wonder if new moms are taking their babies to the Rite Aid for their immunizations now. It has kept me awake at night, worrying.

I’ve heard from family members that there is more room and social distancing/better setup if it is a CVS with a minute clinic.
JMO
Thank you for response! Unfortunately no CVS in my town
The local health department has had some events in larger locations it’s just a matter of waiting on appointment
My mother had hers at Walmart, she reported good distancing and chairs for waiting spaced far apart, luckily no one allowed them to roam the store in the 15 minutes!!

Am I the ONLY person who remembers when injections, especially vaccines, were given at the County Health Department by an RN or LPN, or at one's doctor's office also by an RN or LPN?

Why are supermarkets with Pharmacies and chain drugstores now the place to get something as important as a vaccine injection by a Pharmacist ( they are not taught to give injections in Pharmacy school unless the training is something new)?

My doctor tried to get me to go to the dang Kroger ( grocery store) for a Shingles vaccine. I told him " No way I'm standing in the produce section to get something as important as a shingles vaccine".
Addendum- I'd recently had shingles and received antiviral and retroviral medications. Duh, doc.

I won't even get my annual Flu vaccine from a busy drugstore Pharmacist after seeing how they take phone orders, check people out, then handle paperwork and my insurance card, then prepares the med and my arm and no hands were washed in all that time.
I go to one of our private EMS stations here, and a Paramedic or RN who gives injections day in and day our gives me my vaccine.
We really shouldn't have to settle for anything that could hurt/ kill us as when the goal is for the medication to protect us.

Note- It's not the public's fault. It's another shortcut in our healthcare system, and also a way to keep well people moving quickly through the lines.

I wonder if new moms are taking their babies to the Rite Aid for their immunizations now. It has kept me awake at night, worrying.

I was trained to give injections of all types as well as draw blood as a medical assistant, gave hundreds to all ages from babies to elderly.
In pediatric offices, cancer clinics and family practices
You’d have never known I wasn’t a RN

It seems to me getting the vaccine at a person's physician's office would be a really good thing to do-

It seems to me getting the vaccine at a person's physician's office would be a really good thing to do-

When I saw my PCP on February 9, she told me that she didn't expect their office to administer Covid vaccinations in the near future. Most doctor's offices are not equipped to store the vaccine at the temperature extremes that are currently required. They have had many, many phone calls from patients and others who are anxious to get vaccinated. They posted a memo on their website indicating that they do not have the vaccine and encourage people to register with their county health department or hospitals affiliated with the medical practice. I would prefer to get my shot at a hospital outpatient facility, but if Rite Aid is available first, I will go there.

Absolutely!!! But, in my area, at least, they kind of smirk about it when they direct people to the grocery pharmacy.

Absolutely!!! But, in my area, at least, they kind of smirk about it when they direct people to the grocery pharmacy.
Over here in the UK, they just wouldnt be able to deliver the vaccines at the pace they are without the mass sites. Our local one is apparently very well organised and set up, run by a pharmacy group. It's in a cinema, which is obviously closed now.

My gp asked me to book an appointment for blood tests but my local surgery is so busy they cannot even offer a future appointment. I had to book at a sister surgery, 30 mins drive away (mine is 5 mins). Its not their fault and I'm glad to have the alternative option. But if they were running vaccines, we'd never get there.

ETA different system though, in that our gp is instrumental in referring us for vaccines and our health records are linked to the online booking system.

When I was getting my Bachelor of Science in Nursing, giving injections was one of the first things we learned, so I don't see it as high up on the list of skills an RN has, in terms of difficulty
I have also as a nurse, taught patients or family members to give themselves injections

To me, more critical is understanding and having knowledge about what it is you are injecting

I use my pharmacist when I can - I just like the ease of it
For the Covid-19 vaccine, that wasn't an option for my tier where I live, but I think it will be soon

My view/experience

My husband and I got vaccinated. I’m 37 and he’s 40. First vaccine I was totally fine. I was a little off the next day. Just felt “woozy” but nothing crazy. Then a week to the day I started having irregular bleeding. It wasn’t a cycle. I didn’t have cramps but this went on for 5 days. But the reason it’s odd is that between pregnancies, breastfeeding and my mirena I literally haven’t had a period in 14 years. But I brushed it off. My husband got his vaccine and a week to the day he had facial numbness. That lasted weeks but was fine. After the second vaccine, I got taken OUT! I had every flu-like side effects you could think of abs my symptoms started 6 hours after receiving it. Fever, body aches, headaches, chills, etc. My arm literally felt like a gun shot wound lol. I’ve never experienced anything like it with vaccines! That went on from Friday night to Sunday morning. I woke up Sunday morning feeling 100%. My husband was achy and tired but no other symptoms. Then, a week later, I started with irregular bleeding again. I called my gyn just to have her add it to my chart and discuss and she said she’s been having nurses and patients say the same thing. That after receiving the shot that it messed up their cycles one way or another. This time it only Lasted a few days but odd and worth noting! Makes me think of the articles I read about it causing some issues with fertility. I’m not having anymore kids but I’ll tell you what. I’m not rushing to give this to my kids, either. All in all, I’m glad I got it because we love to travel (we went on 3 vacations since the pandemic started). We go out 3 times a week to dinner. We haven’t really stopped much since the pandemic and so far have avoided Covid. My kids go to a private school so they have been in-person since august. We are safe. Wash hands. Keep our distance from strangers but that’s about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enthusiastic