Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

If you were offered the Pfizer vaccine in the next 30 days would you take it?

• Yes

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I got vaccinated. I’m 37 and he’s 40. First vaccine I was totally fine. I was a little off the next day. Just felt “woozy” but nothing crazy. Then a week to the day I started having irregular bleeding. It wasn’t a cycle. I didn’t have cramps but this went on for 5 days.

This bleeding has also been reported to be connected to the rare side effect of the vaccines- thrombocytopenia- which is a platelet disorder. If it were me, I would def. get a blood test to check for this!
In this news story she developed vaginal bleeding a few weeks after her vaccine: A few COVID vaccine recipients developed a rare blood disorder | World News,The Indian Express

A Few People Developed a Rare Blood Disorder, Immune Thrombocytopenia, After Getting a COVID Vaccine | Health.com

Darn it! Was going to check Walgreens for mine , it’s a tiny space by pharmacy and I can see how no distancing possible. The walking around store for 15 minutes in case of anaphylactic reaction seems crazy!
I got mine at Walgreens. They had a waiting area for people getting vaccine. It was in the open, adjacent to the pharmacy, but chairs were clearly marked for vaccine recipients only and seating was spaced out to 6 ft. I was in and out in 15 mins, a very easy process.

This bleeding has also been reported to be connected to the rare side effect of the vaccines- thrombocytopenia- which is a platelet disorder. If it were me, I would def. get a blood test to check for this!
In this news story she developed vaginal bleeding a few weeks after her vaccine: A few COVID vaccine recipients developed a rare blood disorder | World News,The Indian Express

A Few People Developed a Rare Blood Disorder, Immune Thrombocytopenia, After Getting a COVID Vaccine | Health.com
Wow! Would it show up at any time (the disorder?) in my blood? I have a gyn appt end of April. I’ll look more into this. Thank you!

Shortly after I posted upthread earlier today, DH and I both received robo-calls from Oakland County Health Department confirming our registrations for the vaccine. We are apparently moving up on the list to be contacted and invited to receive our vaccinations. When our names reach the top of the list, we will be called and/or emailed that we can contact a local facility to receive our vaccines. We will most likely go to our local Rite Aid. We haven't been contacted by Beaumont Health yet but have heard that they are running way behind on getting employees vaccinated, so the public is going to have to wait. Hopefully, we will be contacted by Oakland County Health Department within the next week or so.

I endured a day and 1/2 of side-effects and this morning I awoke to my perfectly "normal" self. Temps back in the 96-97 range. Down from the high point of 101 about 12 hours after the shot. No more chills or body aches this morning.. The second dose of Moderna was no joke, or preferably my immune system worked way beyond what I hoped for. Not feeling well, in this case, was a positive.

My husband has his Pfizer vaccination two weeks ago at our local Walgeens and it went very well. We filled out the paperwork on line and printed it out and brought it with us, there was almost no one in the store in the pharmacy area so social distancing wasn't a problem. We have been going to this pharmacist for about ten years, and she is great, we have gone to her for flu shots, shingles, etc.

On the other hand, I had an appointment for the Moderna vaccine in a hospital setting, a hospital with an excellent reputation and it was the evening, around 6:00 p.m., and it was packed with over 65 years of age people, and many of them would wear masks below their noses, chatting up a storm in the small rooms while they waited their 15 minutes after the vaccine, the whole thing made me really uncomfortable.

So you can't always generalize about one setting or another. I would have rather had an appointment at Walgreens like my husband did, the hospital setting was very stressful, more people, and seniors who seemed to be enjoying their outing and couldn't resist the socializing and didn't apparently understand or know the importance of wearing their masks properly. And the small waiting rooms after the vaccinations did not allow for proper social distancing, and I wondered about the ventilation.

On the other hand, I had an appointment for the Moderna vaccine in a hospital setting, a hospital with an excellent reputation and it was the evening, around 6:00 p.m., and it was packed with over 65 years of age people, and many of them would wear masks below their noses, chatting up a storm in the small rooms while they waited their 15 minutes after the vaccine, the whole thing made me really uncomfortable.

So you can't always generalize about one setting or another. I would have rather had an appointment at Walgreens like my husband did, the hospital setting was very stressful, more people, and seniors who seemed to be enjoying their outing and couldn't resist the socializing and didn't apparently understand or know the importance of wearing their masks properly. And the small waiting rooms after the vaccinations did not allow for proper social distancing, and I wondered about the ventilation.

Sounds EXACTLY like what I went through here at our Retirement Community. Most seniors here just do not wear masks properly if at all. Every situation is an opportunity to socialize, even vaccination clinic- where we had to sit for 15 min was not socially distanced, so I chose a seat far away from everyone, then a lady decided to sit right next to me, I moved and she said "its alright you don't have to move" uhhh...yes I do! LOL...it was one big social time with masks pulled down to talk and chat and laugh, even the person minding the time had her mask pulled down. Sigh. It's like this all the time here. I sometimes feel like I am the weird one.

I got my first shot of the Oxford / AstraZeneca vaccine last Wednesday.
Had a sore arm on Thursday. Also I was a bit tired. Not sure if this was because of the vaccine.

Next shot will be in 12 weeks. The news about the effectiveness of the vaccine is good, it appears to be much higher than the initial 60%

_115622374_more_vaccines_compared_v5-nc.png

Covid-19: Oxford University vaccine is highly effective

I got my first shot of the Oxford / AstraZeneca vaccine last Wednesday.
Had a sore arm on Thursday. Also I was a bit tired. Not sure if this was because of the vaccine.

Next shot will be in 12 weeks. The news about the effectiveness of the vaccine is good, it appears to be much higher than the initial 60%

_115622374_more_vaccines_compared_v5-nc.png

Covid-19: Oxford University vaccine is highly effective
This is interesting. I was just reading on Facebook from Trudeau's page where he's managed to acquire many doses of the AZ vaccine for his Canadien citizens. Most of the comments were complaints about having to settle for the least effective and "reject" vaccine. I have to learn to stop reading comments...they can often be negative, even cruel. And very likely not connected to any facts.

This is interesting. I was just reading on Facebook from Trudeau's page where he's managed to acquire many doses of the AZ vaccine for his Canadien citizens. Most of the comments were complaints about having to settle for the least effective and "reject" vaccine. I have to learn to stop reading comments...they can often be negative, even cruel. And very likely not connected to any facts.

We still are being told by our official Health Authority that the AZ vaccine offers a 60% protection two weeks after the second jab, the second being given 12 weeks after the first. Meaning that I with many others would have to wait 14 weeks!! before we are possibly protected enough or possibly not, there is no info available at the personal level.

I stepped out in the street after the jab thinking I was protected, or maybe it would take a few days, and if the official information is anything to go by, this would not be the case at all.

It is enough to make on see red, of anger.

However, before the jab, I chatted with the doctor's assistant who was about to give me the injection. She told me that they had taken a two-day course about this vaccine. She said it is a very good vaccine and that she and her colleagues get it too. "You only need a boost after 12 weeks!

And there is more.

The news about AZ coming from the UK is completely different and far more positive:

Oxford vaccine more effective than Pfizer jab, new figures show | Daily Mail Online

The vaccine developed by Oxford University and AstraZeneca is stunningly effective at preventing recipients becoming seriously ill from Covid-19, new analysis shows.

It is even better than the Pfizer jab at stopping people getting so sick that they need to be admitted to hospital, Ministers have been told.

A single shot of either jab cuts the chance of needing hospital treatment by more than 90 per cent, ‘real world’ results from the NHS vaccination programme show.

But the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, shunned by millions across Europe because of concerns over trial data, is proving slightly more effective at stopping severe Covid-19 illness than the Pfizer jab.

Its apparent superiority even holds among over-70s, The Mail on Sunday understands, vindicating the UK drug regulator’s decision to approve it for use in older people.

BBM

I trust that more good news will arrive about AstraZeneca before I get my second vaccination in May.

BTW I linked to the DM because the info is available to all, other sources with the same news maybe behind a paywall, but the DM never is.

We still are being told by our official Health Authority that the AZ vaccine offers a 60% protection two weeks after the second jab, the second being given 12 weeks after the first. Meaning that I with many others would have to wait 14 weeks!! before we are possibly protected enough or possibly not, there is no info available at the personal level.

I stepped out in the street after the jab thinking I was protected, or maybe it would take a few days, and if the official information is anything to go by, this would not be the case at all.

It is enough to make on see red, of anger.

However, before the jab, I chatted with the doctor's assistant who was about to give me the injection. She told me that they had taken a two-day course about this vaccine. She said it is a very good vaccine and that she and her colleagues get it too. "You only need a boost after 12 weeks!

And there is more.

The news about AZ coming from the UK is completely different and far more positive:

Oxford vaccine more effective than Pfizer jab, new figures show | Daily Mail Online

The vaccine developed by Oxford University and AstraZeneca is stunningly effective at preventing recipients becoming seriously ill from Covid-19, new analysis shows.

It is even better than the Pfizer jab at stopping people getting so sick that they need to be admitted to hospital, Ministers have been told.

A single shot of either jab cuts the chance of needing hospital treatment by more than 90 per cent, ‘real world’ results from the NHS vaccination programme show.

But the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, shunned by millions across Europe because of concerns over trial data, is proving slightly more effective at stopping severe Covid-19 illness than the Pfizer jab.

Its apparent superiority even holds among over-70s, The Mail on Sunday understands, vindicating the UK drug regulator’s decision to approve it for use in older people.

BBM

I trust that more good news will arrive about AstraZeneca before I get my second vaccination in May.

BTW I linked to the DM because the info is available to all, other sources with the same news maybe behind a paywall, but the DM never is.

The focus at outset is keeping people out of the hospitals in addition to lowering any symptoms for the trials IIRC.

EfficacyCovidVaxChart.png

I don't know if this is the right Covid thread in which to ask, but does anyone know if it's safe to get the vaccine if you currently have a bad case of vertigo? My husband now qualifies to get the vaccine (I don't - he's 8 years older than me) and he has an appointment on Tuesday morning. But he's had vertigo the entire month of February. He gets a bad case like this every 3 or 4 years. He found some head movement exercises online that have helped somewhat. I think he should reschedule his shot, he thinks I am over-reacting (like usual, lol).

I don't know if this is the right Covid thread in which to ask, but does anyone know if it's safe to get the vaccine if you currently have a bad case of vertigo? My husband now qualifies to get the vaccine (I don't - he's 8 years older than me) and he has an appointment on Tuesday morning. But he's had vertigo the entire month of February. He gets a bad case like this every 3 or 4 years. He found some head movement exercises online that have helped somewhat. I think he should reschedule his shot, he thinks I am over-reacting (like usual, lol).

I've read most docs submitted to FDA, and have seen none that have exclusions/warning for vertigo. That said, if you think he is too sick to go out and may fall down/cannot walk due to his issue and his shot requires such a falling risk, yes, I would delay. Egads, falling down and breaking a hip due to trying to walk into a dr. office or CVS etc. when he should not due to vertigo exacerbation... is a consideration. Is he currently in a wheelchair at home due to this condition so he would not have to walk at all for the shot? Wait a bit or get a shot from the car where it doesn't risk falling down and hurting himself?

MOO, ask your doctor as he would know best MOO. Many health plans have free and IMMEDIATE consultations, perhaps yours does?

Last edited:
My husband and I got vaccinated. I’m 37 and he’s 40. First vaccine I was totally fine. I was a little off the next day. Just felt “woozy” but nothing crazy. Then a week to the day I started having irregular bleeding. It wasn’t a cycle. I didn’t have cramps but this went on for 5 days. But the reason it’s odd is that between pregnancies, breastfeeding and my mirena I literally haven’t had a period in 14 years. But I brushed it off. My husband got his vaccine and a week to the day he had facial numbness. That lasted weeks but was fine. After the second vaccine, I got taken OUT! I had every flu-like side effects you could think of abs my symptoms started 6 hours after receiving it. Fever, body aches, headaches, chills, etc. My arm literally felt like a gun shot wound lol. I’ve never experienced anything like it with vaccines! That went on from Friday night to Sunday morning. I woke up Sunday morning feeling 100%. My husband was achy and tired but no other symptoms. Then, a week later, I started with irregular bleeding again. I called my gyn just to have her add it to my chart and discuss and she said she’s been having nurses and patients say the same thing. That after receiving the shot that it messed up their cycles one way or another. This time it only Lasted a few days but odd and worth noting! Makes me think of the articles I read about it causing some issues with fertility. I’m not having anymore kids but I’ll tell you what. I’m not rushing to give this to my kids, either. All in all, I’m glad I got it because we love to travel (we went on 3 vacations since the pandemic started). We go out 3 times a week to dinner. We haven’t really stopped much since the pandemic and so far have avoided Covid. My kids go to a private school so they have been in-person since august. We are safe. Wash hands. Keep our distance from strangers but that’s about it.
Wow, how did you and your husband qualify since y'all are so young? That’s exciting.

I've read most docs submitted to FDA, and have seen none that have exclusions/warning for vertigo. That said, if you think he is too sick to go out and may fall down/cannot walk due to his issue and his shot requires such a falling risk, yes, I would delay. Egads, falling down and breaking a hip due to trying to walk into a dr. office or CVS etc. when he should not due to vertigo exacerbation... is a consideration. Is he currently in a wheelchair at home due to this condition so he would not have to walk at all for the shot? Wait a bit or get a shot from the car where it doesn't risk falling down and hurting himself?

MOO, ask your doctor as he would know best MOO. Many health plans have free and IMMEDIATE consultations, perhaps yours does?

Thanks dixiegirl! He's in his mid-60s and pretty healthy overall (hikes a lot, backpacking, camping, etc) and is still walking on his own, but slowly, taking things easy. We're in a small town and his doctor is beloved around here, but pretty much clueless about some things, IMO. The last time DH had vertigo, this same doctor told him to take some Dramamine and go to bed.

I read something somewhere about dizziness being a possible side effect of the vaccine, but just looked and I don't see that on the CDC site, which is good. Anyway, I probably am over-reacting, but the idea of getting a drive-through shot is a great idea! The 'Epley Maneuver' vertigo exercises DH found online seem to be helping so maybe by Tuesday morning the vertigo will be gone and all my worry-worting will have been for naught (not the first time, ha!).

My husband and I got vaccinated. I’m 37 and he’s 40. First vaccine I was totally fine. I was a little off the next day. Just felt “woozy” but nothing crazy. Then a week to the day I started having irregular bleeding. It wasn’t a cycle. I didn’t have cramps but this went on for 5 days. But the reason it’s odd is that between pregnancies, breastfeeding and my mirena I literally haven’t had a period in 14 years. But I brushed it off. My husband got his vaccine and a week to the day he had facial numbness. That lasted weeks but was fine. After the second vaccine, I got taken OUT! I had every flu-like side effects you could think of abs my symptoms started 6 hours after receiving it. Fever, body aches, headaches, chills, etc. My arm literally felt like a gun shot wound lol. I’ve never experienced anything like it with vaccines! That went on from Friday night to Sunday morning. I woke up Sunday morning feeling 100%. My husband was achy and tired but no other symptoms. Then, a week later, I started with irregular bleeding again. I called my gyn just to have her add it to my chart and discuss and she said she’s been having nurses and patients say the same thing. That after receiving the shot that it messed up their cycles one way or another. This time it only Lasted a few days but odd and worth noting! Makes me think of the articles I read about it causing some issues with fertility. I’m not having anymore kids but I’ll tell you what. I’m not rushing to give this to my kids, either. All in all, I’m glad I got it because we love to travel (we went on 3 vacations since the pandemic started). We go out 3 times a week to dinner. We haven’t really stopped much since the pandemic and so far have avoided Covid. My kids go to a private school so they have been in-person since august. We are safe. Wash hands. Keep our distance from strangers but that’s about it.

Jsizzle - thanks for posting this! I appreciate all the details. My daughter and her husband, 30 and 33, have both had shot one of the vaccine because they are caretakers for their special needs toddler who is considered "medically fragile" and at great risk. My daughter didn't have any issues with the first shot, but I'll share this info about possible irregular bleeding and messed up cycles. Glad to know you and your family are okay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AliceSprings