Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

If you were offered the Pfizer vaccine in the next 30 days would you take it?

• Yes

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I understand completely. I take Simponi, Humira made me flare up constantly.
I've read that we are not to take 'live' vaccines w/this type of medicine.
Don't know what constitutes live vaccines???

You never know what, if any, type of reaction you may get w/these new drugs/vaccines.

jmo
COVID is not a live vaccine. There are actually very few live vaccines in use at this time. Chicken pox, yellow fever, the measles-mumps-rubella combo, smallpox and rotavirus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/01/15/trump-vaccine-reserve-used-up/

Vaccine reserve was already exhausted when Trump administration vowed to release it, dashing hopes of expanded access

When Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar announced this week that the federal government would begin releasing coronavirus vaccine doses held in reserve for second shots, no such reserve existed, according to state and federal officials briefed on distribution plans. The Trump administration had already begun shipping out what was available beginning at the end of December, taking second doses directly off the manufacturing line.

Now, health officials across the country who had anticipated their extremely limited vaccine supply as much as doubling beginning next week are confronting the reality that their allocations will remain largely flat, dashing hopes of dramatically expanding access for millions of elderly people and those with high-risk medical conditions. Health officials in some cities and states were informed in recent days about the reality of the situation, while others are still in the dark.

I got my second dose (Pfizer) yesterday. My arm is very sore again, and I’ve had a mild headache today. I have two staff that called in today, one got her second dose yesterday and one got her first dose. The rest of us mostly felt just sort of icky and tired. I had far more very weird/extreme symptoms with the first one, so I’m really hoping this one stays mild.

I had made a 5:50 pm appointment for my mom last night, the last appointment for the day as the vaccination site closed at 6 pm.

As soon as my mom received her shot the pharmacist came in and consulted with the nurses, advising that there were 6 extra thawed vaccinations left over. So the nurses immediately began calling people who had signed up on a waiting list, and advising them that if they could get to the site within 30 minutes they could get their vaccination.

The nurses also mentioned that they had a back up list of employees on duty who were waiting for vaccinations as well. So they were making sure that no vaccines were wasted.

I got my second dose (Pfizer) yesterday. My arm is very sore again, and I’ve had a mild headache today. I have two staff that called in today, one got her second dose yesterday and one got her first dose. The rest of us mostly felt just sort of icky and tired. I had far more very weird/extreme symptoms with the first one, so I’m really hoping this one stays mild.

I've not felt well today--very tired and headachy. If I'd had my first vaccine dose yesterday, instead of a week ago, I'd be blaming my malaise on the shot!

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

I read today that Dr. Fauci was "knocked out" for a full day with chills, fatigue, achy, reaction to his second dose of Moderna vaccine. He was quick to remind people that this was not illness but a side effect of the vaccine. Surveys indicating 70% are having similar effects including headaches.

Covid US: Dr Fauci 'knocked out' after second Moderna vaccine dose | Daily Mail Online

I read today that Dr. Fauci was "knocked out" for a full day with chills, fatigue, achy, reaction to his second dose of Moderna vaccine. He was quick to remind people that this was not illness but a side effect of the vaccine. Surveys indicating 70% are having similar effects including headaches.

Covid US: Dr Fauci 'knocked out' after second Moderna vaccine dose | Daily Mail Online

I wonder if the different brands/manufacturers of the vaccine have different side effects.

I'm expecting that DH and I may have such unpleasant side effects with our second shot on Feb 3. We got the Pfizer vaccine and I had arm pain with the first shot, DH nothing. We are over 75.

Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine

Common Side Effects

The most commonly reported side effects, which typically lasted several days, were pain at the injection site, tiredness, headache, muscle pain, chills, joint pain, and fever. Of note, more people experienced these side effects after the second dose than after the first dose, so it is important for vaccination providers and recipients to expect that there may be some side effects after either dose, but even more so after the second dose.

I wonder if the different brands/manufacturers of the vaccine have different side effects.

I really don't think so but my reason is that I think officials/media have intentionally played down the side effects from the initial vaccine distribution (i.e., Pfizer) to not discourage the public. We've heard very little about the hospitalizations after the earlier vaccines yet they exist.

I'm much more appreciative of Dr. Fauci's approach where his emphasis was to openly and honestly distinguish the difference between illness and side effects. In other words, I think we should all expect to experience the side effects of such an important double dose drug regime -- regardless of the manufacturer. I'm eagerly waiting for my turn that I can finally begin to plan a future visit to my elderly mum. It's been far too long! :)

MOO

Thank goodness no. I may have been caught up in our Philadelphia mess going on.

Source Philadelphia Enquirer. The City dropped their partnership with "Philly Fights Covid" after the non profit failed to disclose they went for profit.

Source whyy.org. The CEO of "Philly Fights Covid" Andrei Doroshin is accused of taking vials of the vaccine and putting them in his personal bag with syringes and splitting from The Philadelphia Convention Center.

The mass vaccination turned away people who waited hours with their printed verified appointments then told to leave as they screwed up the amount of doses. Elderly people who waited for hours were in tears. While volunteer Nurses explained nobody asked for credentials and it was a fee for all with young people not authorized giving eachither shots.

Andrei Doroshin. Drexel Student. CEO. Fishtown gentrifier turned for profit. No thanks. I do not trust anything about this vaccine. Period. JMHO. Not just because of this debacle.

However I do wish everyone the best of health here. Pray the poor elderly folks who waited can get their shot.

I will get it as soon as I am able to!

COVID is not a live vaccine. There are actually very few live vaccines in use at this time. Chicken pox, yellow fever, the measles-mumps-rubella combo, smallpox and rotavirus.

Thank you...good to know.

Clarification may be needed here. One of the vaccines will have a live adenovirus carrier IIRC @margarita25 do you recall which one that is worldwide?

I don't believe any of the vaccines use live virus.

Four COVID Vaccines Compared
This site has a helpful chart of the vaccines. The ones using an adenovirus vector are AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson.

Vaccine Q&A: Vaccines 101, mRNA and Adenoviruses
TA: If the mRNA vaccines are the first, what vaccines might be released next? I’ve also heard some talk about adenovirus vaccines. What are adenovirus vaccines? Are any of them being considered as COVID-19 vaccines?

Koci: Yes. Adenovirus-vectored vaccines are the other technology that has been close behind the mRNA-based vaccines in clinical testing. Of the six vaccines backed by Operation Warp Speed, the adenovirus vectored vaccines are the only other vaccines, besides mRNA vaccines, to make it to Phase III testing. That means, assuming things go well with this phase of testing, they will be the next ones that should get emergency use authorization – probably in January or February 2021.

Instead of hiding Greek soldiers, the adenovirus releases genes.

Like the mRNA vaccines, the main idea behind adenovirus vaccines is to get genetic material that encodes SARS-CoV-2 genes into your cells and get your cells to make the virus proteins. The difference is in how they do this. Where the mRNA vaccine is just the mRNA protected by a chemical shell, adenovirus vectored vaccines use a virus we know is harmless to act as a Trojan horse. But instead of hiding Greek soldiers, or anything dangerous, the adenovirus releases genes that encode the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein.

Adenoviruses are a family of viruses that have dozens, maybe hundreds, of members. Most don’t cause any known disease, or they only cause mild “common cold”-like symptoms. Scientists developed a way to use strains of adenoviruses that don’t cause disease as a delivery system for vaccines. So we’re using one virus to deliver the vaccine against another.

The genes for the protein that we want the immune system to respond to are inserted into the adenovirus genome as DNA. Then the person to be vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2 is infected with this harmless adenovirus. When the adenovirus gets into your cells the DNA is turned into mRNA, causing the cells to make the vaccine proteins, which triggers the immune response. I’ll also point out that when we insert these vaccine genes into the adenovirus, we also remove genes from the adenovirus so that it can’t replicate in the vaccinated person. This is done as an added safety precaution.

Like the mRNA vaccines, this type of vaccine has been around as an idea for a while, and there are several adenovirus-vectored vaccines in phase 1 and 2 clinical trials but none that I’m aware of that are FDA approved and currently being used in people.

Koci: The biggest advantage here is, even though there aren’t any adenovirus-vectored vaccines being used in people today that I’m aware of, scientists have been using this technology in the lab for decades. The process of inserting genes into the adenovirus vectors is routine for a lot of labs. It does involve more steps than mRNA vaccines, but those steps have been optimized so it can still be done pretty quickly. That makes these types of vaccines easy to make a lot of quickly and relatively cheaply. Also, once assembled, adenovirus-vectored vaccines are pretty stable, so they don’t have to be kept at really low temperatures.

One issue that has slowed down the development of these vaccines is all the other adenoviruses out in nature. Many don’t make us sick, and some are unknown to science. Vaccine producers have been trying to find the right adenovirus to use for the vaccine – one that your immune system hasn’t seen before. If the adenovirus carrying the vaccine looks too much like an adenovirus your immune system has seen before, your immune system will attack and destroy the vaccine before it has a chance to do its job. Companies have been working for years to fix this issue. Looking at the early data from the Oxford/AstraZeneca and Johnson and Johnson trials suggests they may have succeeded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elenabarlow