GUILTY Costa Rica - John Bender, 44, shot to death, Perez Zeledon, 8 Jan 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/american-charged-in-husbands-costa-rica-death-experts-question-case/

this was update of Aug 22, 2014

""48 Hours" hired Richard and Selma Eikelenboom, a married forensics team known around the world for crime scene analysis. In June, we furnished them with court documents and police photos for review at their Colorado lab. And we brought them to Costa Rica to conduct tests and reconstruct the shooting in the room where John Bender died."

".... a month of review, the Eikelenbooms identified serious flaws in the initial police investigation. Most importantly, they told us, the documents suggest authorities assumed from the start that Bender had been murdered -- and set out to prove it. Investigators also failed to photograph the scene correctly, test the blood stains on the bed sheets or even fingerprint the gun, they said.

And according to the Eikelenbooms, investigators also misinterpreted the evidence they did collect. Contrary to the government's theory, they told us the gunshot wound at the back right of John's head could easily have been self-inflicted. His eyes could have been open at the time of the shot even though they were closed when he was found. And though a bullet cartridge was found about 15 feet behind the bed, it doesn't mean the shooter stood nearby because -- as Richard and Selma showed us -- different ways of firing a pistol can eject the cartridge in different directions, and it could have easily skidded after hitting the smooth granite floor."

Am adding this to the thread simply as it is the ''latest'' I can find on this story.

She's out!! Ann was released Feb 19 2015

She's awaiting third trial

"Patton is staying with her brother, Kenneth, in a condo near Guachipelín, southwest of the Costa Rican capital.

“My only comment is that my sister did not murder her husband,” Kenneth Patton told The Tico Times.

While Ann Patton was released and the previous sentence thrown out, her legal battle is far from over. The court ordered her to surrender her passport, and she cannot leave Costa Rica. She also must sign in weekly with the nearest prosecutor’s office. The Cartago appellate judge ordered another trial – the third Patton will have faced for allegedly shooting her husband to death. There is no double — or triple — jeopardy in Costa Rica.

http://www.ticotimes.net/2015/02/20...rtunity-to-finally-hopefully-get-true-justice

It's strange how little publicity there has been, especially considering the 48 hours episode. That seems to be the one and only article since her release... Nothing on FB or Twitter which was supposedly being updated by her brother.

It's strange how little publicity there has been, especially considering the 48 hours episode. That seems to be the one and only article since her release... Nothing on FB or Twitter which was supposedly being updated by her brother.

The lawsuit has never been mentioned again either Yet it was this particular lawsuit with Silverman which apparent really bothered John and deeply depressed him deeply prior to his death.

I just saw this on 48 hours tonight.

I was just wondering, after her first trial where she was found not guilty why did she stay in Costa Rica? At that point she was free and clear right? Why didn't she leave? If she did leave would she have had to go back there for the second trial or would her being out of the country cancel them even being able to have the second trial?

Also at the end of the show it said her 3rd trial is coming up next month. How many times can this happen in Costa Rica? After 3 is that the final decision or can it just keep going?

They are talking about this now on the 48 hours twitter. If you read the @ replies to @48hours people are responding and giving lots of different theories and opinions.

And now the boyfriend is dead too? He was not an older man. Does anyone know how he died?

Wondered about that too. And I heard in the show that she hasn't left because she now considers it "home". In also curious about her physical state. She clearly had a walker and a medical port and looked frail. The story told last night had enough doubt that I couldn't convict her. Borrow her jewels, yes. Convict her? Nope.

American expat weeps with relief as she's CLEARED of murdering her multi-millionaire Wall Street husband in their stunning Costa Rica hideaway

"A three-judge panel acquitted Ann Patton of a murder charge in the 2010 shooting of her wealthy husband, John Bender, on Monday morning
This was the second time Patton has been acquitted of the murder
Patton claims that Bender, who suffered from manic depression and bipolar disorder, committed suicide in their Costa Rica mansion

Prosecutors said on Monday that they plan on appealing the verdict..."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ungle-mansion-cleared-murder-second-time.html

New 48 Hours on this case. Prosecutors want to try her for the 4th time. She's in the US and hoping they deny extradition.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth
Back