Could Lee Anthony face charges for obstruction of justice? PART TWO

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, my personal opinion is that it's because Casey told him where the body was, and he, in turn, told the PI's. While HE is under no legal obligation to be a good semaritan, if he was told where the body was, and in turn did not give that information to LE, he could possibly be charged with obstruction.....especially if he knew early on.

JMOO.

I believe the A's use of the word "misconstrue" is to lay the ground rules for reserving the right to change their lies as you catch them in one.

Seems that way to me too. Another thing is Casey started alot of her jailhouse conversations with her parents with the statement "I already told Lee" or "like I told Lee"....like she is trying to validate herself before she makes her statement. I found this a common practice with dishonest folk that I have encountered.

I do not believe there's a benefactor. I think that's hogwash. There was a private person at the start of this who put out a big reward but that's been long gone.

Do you know how the Anthonys bailed out Caylee's mother the second time? Does Lee have connections?

What about Mallory? Do you think she's no longer with Lee or do you think he wouldn't trust her to look after his stuff?

If she has an ounce of common sense, she will stay away from all the Anthonys forever. No way in hell would I ever consider marrying into that family.

And if she is pregnant, she would be wise to keep her child away from that circus.

If the State of Florida did not go after those despicable Couey people in the Jessica Lundsford case, I surely do not see them making any effort towards Lee. They aided, abetted, obstructed and may have participated and Florida did nothing.....

That was outrageous....those ilks should have fried! :steamed:

If the State of Florida did not go after those despicable Couey people in the Jessica Lundsford case, I surely do not see them making any effort towards Lee. They aided, abetted, obstructed and may have participated and Florida did nothing.....

That was outrageous....those ilks should have fried! :steamed:

Two things with Couey, they could not prove that the family knew they were covering a murder/abduction. And the law was suppose to be tightened after that debacle.

Am i behind the times or what here- You mean to tell me that before they can make someone talk in court, you can ask for immunity so they can't convict you of having anything to do with the crime? Is this in all states- Well i think this will be a bad move to do for Lee- because if he says something against himself, this could help Casey. So in other words, anyone can ask for immunity and they get on the stand and say they helped with a crime, the jury cant convict them at all??????? I think this is crazy. So if they dont grant him immunity, he dont have to talk? Cant they make him talk with a supeona?

Am i behind the times or what here- You mean to tell me that before they can make someone talk in court, you can ask for immunity so they can't convict you of having anything to do with the crime? Is this in all states- Well i think this will be a bad move to do for Lee- because if he says something against himself, this could help Casey. So in other words, anyone can ask for immunity and they get on the stand and say they helped with a crime, the jury cant convict them at all??????? I think this is crazy. So if they dont grant him immunity, he dont have to talk? Cant they make him talk with a supeona?

Hi, Charo. If I am recalling correctly, one of the lawyers on NG last night said that in the state of FL, whenever someone is subpoenaed they have a certain amount of immuntiy (he had a name for it, but I don't recall it) that prevents them from being prosecuted against anything that comes out in the testimony given. It does not, however, prevent them from being tried for other crimes associated that there is evidence against them for. It would be in the NG transcript from last night. Hope that helps a little!

:)

Hi, Charo. If I am recalling correctly, one of the lawyers on NG last night said that in the state of FL, whenever someone is subpoenaed they have a certain amount of immuntiy (he had a name for it, but I don't recall it) that prevents them from being prosecuted against anything that comes out in the testimony given. It does not, however, prevent them from being tried for other crimes associated that there is evidence against them for. It would be in the NG transcript from last night. Hope that helps a little!

:)

Yes - it is "use" immunity. What he says can't be used against him. My question? Why is Florida law so screwed up?

Yes - it is "use" immunity. What he says can't be used against him. My question? Why is Florida law so screwed up?

I felt the same way when I first heard about "use immunity." Then I got to thinking about it. Think John Mark Karr, he admitted to involment in the death of JBR. But LE couldn't prosecute, because they cannot prosecute if the only thing they have is a confession. In order to prosecute they must have corroborating evidence. They would be able to use the confession in JMK's case, and not in this case but that is the only thing they lose.

If in this case LA committed a crime like covering up what KC did, then in other states he could take the fifth and not talk about it at all. Which means that info would not come out in the trial.

What they gain is that they do get testimony that explains what happened. In other words LA will have to tell what he found, saw and heard. He may have covered it up at first, but finally he will have to tell. And since he doesn't know exactly what LE knows, he will have to be honest or be subject to prosecution. So they get more info. So if there were some unexplained parts of the case that LA has the answers to LE gets the answers.

If LA attempts to cover for Casey, lies about what he knows or did, or refuses to answer questions he can still be prosecuted. If LE already has evidence of what he did, or finds evidence of what he did- he can still be prosecuted. The only thing they lose is his words, and there is not guarentee that his words/confession would pass any challenges and make it into court anyway. It really is very limited yet gives the prosecution a whole lot.

It does seem screwed up on the surface but it really isn't. It takes away the ability of the witness to take the fifth and refuse to answer. The state acknowledges your right to not have your words used against you, like everywhere in the country, and says fine we won't use your testimony against you. Now answer the flipping question we asked you. It benefits prosecuting Casey and makes no difference in prosecuting the Anthony's if they are guilty of a crime.

I liked my husbands theory after seeing a couple of clips of Lee's attorney. He said that this guy can't be an attorney and it has to be a Borat type stunt where he is just seeing how many interviews he can do and how many times he will be on TV before someone, anyone, figures out that he cannot possibly be an attorney. LOL. With this case, it really wouldn't be shocking would it?

Now that is too funny! You're hubby may be on to something. That guy is a very poor attorney, if he is one!
nananananaaaaaaaa.gif

My personal guess is we won't see any federal charges related to false statements. If the family gets their ducks in a row and cooperates FULLY with the prosecution of Casey I don't think we will see any state charges against them. If Lee knows Casey killed Caylee and has evidence of such, if he turns states evidence for immunity that testimony will be a slamdunk conviction for the state. Keep in mind the penalty for accessory after the fact in Fl is the equivilent amount of time the crime you attempting to cover would earn. Short of the DP, they tried doing that and it got overturned at the supreme court level.

If it comes to light that the Anthony's absolutely knew Caylee was dead and they continued to solicit funds for a "find Caylee" front I do think we may see federal charges there. IF that happens I would expect to see KFN included in a conspiracy to collect funds. KFN being involved I think would actually increase the odds of charges since they are supposedly a legit 501c3 group, public outcry and all.

I believe you hit the nail on the head! Also, as I posted in my forum, Cindy was very involved...by washing the pants, wrong toothbrush, etc. Thus her lawyer recommends immunity so that the prosecution cannot twist or turn this into where she may have obstructed justice on purpose. (I do believe it was not purposeful.) Also, George with retrieving the car with the dead body smell, bringing it home...the gun he had under his wheel well on his vehicle...all these things are "in play" and this is more than probably what their attorney advised. Not too mention...possibly a lot more reasons for immunity that we have not mentioned and/or are not aware, as yet. Also, remember, they both were aware of the stolen checks and monies and did nothing to Casey....and that could possibly come back to haunt them, as well. (Especially the grandma's monies. That is a major crime and they could actually be charged with aiding and abetting for not reporting the crime against the ederly woman...especially if CA is the guardian over the estate, or financial guardian, etc.) Hence...immunity.
As for Lee...well, we all know he and Casey talked code...and he was investigating from her leads/tips. His non reporting of things to the police could well land him in jail. He is not a licensed investigator so anything he happened upon had to be reported. Hence...immunity.

I personally think that Lee despises Casey. No way would he do anything that would cause him to spend anytime in jail because of what she has done.
I think that Lee was just trying to find out the truth to help his parents. I also think that Casey may have told something to Lee and he did relay this to the FBI, maybe not OCSD, but certainly to the FBI. My thought is that he is trying to get his parents to cooperate, and so he hired a lawyer because once the body was found, he knew that their cooperation would be just as important as his. Lee is asking for immunity simply because he is trying to convince his parents its the right thing to do, and to keep that pressure on Casey that the thought of him being charged just may get her to tell the truth.
I truly hope that Lee is the one who stands in court and is able to stick it straight to the heart of his sister for what she has done.
I don't know why I feel this way, or why I think he is so innocent. I guess its because I have a brother, and I would certainly fake it to him, and go right behind his back to do what is right for his daughter and son.

... Lee is asking for immunity simply because he is trying to convince his parents its the right thing to do, and to keep that pressure on Casey that the thought of him being charged just may get her to tell the truth.

part of your quote bolded by me for reference:

I still haven't made up my mind about Lee's role in all this. I do find virtually all his behaviours weird and inappropriate, ranging from rushing over to AL's to collect KC's belongings (why that hurry when he's just learned his niece has been missing for 31 days?), to the very strange jail conversations with her, and the inappropriate High Five - then there's persuading his parents not to take a lie detector test and refusing his DNA test without a subpoena (these are normal procedures for close family members of a murder victim or missing child). Certainly he has some kind of unusual involvement.

part of your quote bolded by me for reference:

I still haven't made up my mind about Lee's role in all this. I do find virtually all his behaviours weird and inappropriate, ranging from rushing over to AL's to collect KC's belongings (why that hurry when he's just learned his niece has been missing for 31 days?), to the very strange jail conversations with her, and the inappropriate High Five - then there's persuading his parents not to take a lie detector test and refusing his DNA test without a subpoena (these are normal procedures for close family members of a murder victim or missing child). Certainly he has some kind of unusual involvement.

I think poor Lee's involvement was that he was duped by Casey, followed up on her bogus leads from their code-speak. Figured out the truth and then clammed up. He should have gone straight to LE when he discovered the truth. Now, he is stuck.

LOL...I'm as confused about this issue as you are....also it was said on NG that *if* prosecution supeonas you, you get automatic immunity....:eek:

So I say, prosecution should not call any A's as witnesses....let the DEFENSE call them, then prosecution can cross-examine them on the stand....right ??

and if the DEFENSE didn't have them as witnesses, seems like this would look bad to the jury (her own family not willing to defend her).....

I personally think that Lee despises Casey. No way would he do anything that would cause him to spend anytime in jail because of what she has done.
I think that Lee was just trying to find out the truth to help his parents. I also think that Casey may have told something to Lee and he did relay this to the FBI, maybe not OCSD, but certainly to the FBI. My thought is that he is trying to get his parents to cooperate, and so he hired a lawyer because once the body was found, he knew that their cooperation would be just as important as his. Lee is asking for immunity simply because he is trying to convince his parents its the right thing to do, and to keep that pressure on Casey that the thought of him being charged just may get her to tell the truth.
I truly hope that Lee is the one who stands in court and is able to stick it straight to the heart of his sister for what she has done.
I don't know why I feel this way, or why I think he is so innocent. I guess its because I have a brother, and I would certainly fake it to him, and go right behind his back to do what is right for his daughter and son.

But this is the same Lee that convinced his parents not to take a polygraph. This is the same Lee that went off on wild goose chases conducting his own investigation. This is the same high-fiving Lee.

Somehow I just cannot figure that Lee despises Casey! :waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member