Couple who adopted 12 children shot to death #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
sgt Roy. He's from the Escambia County Sheriff's Department. We all live outside of Pensacola city limits, so no P'cola cops.

That's true. And if you know any ECSD they don't like being called police officers, they're sheriff deputy's!

I was just making it easy on myself. :)

The photos really bring it all home. Those children are so beautiful. The entire family is so loving. This is so devastating. :( Those who did this are pure evil. :furious:

They really do - those pics bring it all home. I don't think my eyes or face have been dry since viewing Melanie's myspace. What an incrediable mother and human being she was.

Another thing that broke my heart even more is one of the older children left a posting a few months back that said something like "I love you, mommy. I don't know how I would ever get through life without you - you are my role model" ....that just broke me.

I hope everyone involved in committing this crime rots in hell.

1) IF this turns out to be a crime committed solely for an anticipated financial gain, such as finding a wall safe full of cash and valuables, then it parallells the famous book and movie " In Cold Blood" exactly, to the letter. So do the cowardly actions of the inept criminals.

2) I want to know why a door leading into the house was unlocked!!!!! No one even had to break and enter. IF these people were as security conscious as they are portrayed, and I believe they were, then is there not a possibility that someone with access to the house, or with former access to a house key and who could have made a copy, etc, is the person who set this up initially?

3) Someone decided on the Billings couple and no other perceived wealthy people. Elderly wealthy in FL would be easier marks and would also be more likely to have liquid assets which we haven't heard about in this case- such as forcibly driving someone to their bank and making them withdraw their life savings, etc.
It does NOT make sense to me to do this in a household with so many living witnesses ( the children) and with security systems which apparently were known to the community.

I still think the unlocked door from the utility room to the outdoors is a factor, and is not accidental. The only possible exceptions I can think of would be if the house is so large that the Billings' didn't have time to check every single door before bedtime every night or if one of the children exited or entered through the door earlier in the day and no one noticed the unlocked door. However, what is the CHANCE that a kid would leave a door unlocked on the very day a heist and double execution was planned???
I think some pieces of the puzzle are still not fitting.
JMO.

Maria

Sumner was stopped for a traffic violation. "Random traffic stop," sheriff says. Had an expired license.
Still working on 6 to 8 (prob 7) suspects, sheriff says. (via PNJ on Twitter)

1) IF this turns out to be a crime committed solely for an anticipated financial gain, such as finding a wall safe full of cash and valuables, then it parallells the famous book and movie " In Cold Blood" exactly, to the letter. So do the cowardly actions of the inept criminals.

2) I want to know why a door leading into the house was unlocked!!!!! No one even had to break and enter. IF these people were as security conscious as they are portrayed, and I believe they were, then is there not a possibility that someone with access to the house, or with former access to a house key and who could have made a copy, etc, is the person who set this up initially?

3) Someone decided on the Billings couple and no other perceived wealthy people. Elderly wealthy in FL would be easier marks and would also be more likely to have liquid assets which we haven't heard about in this case- such as forcibly driving someone to their bank and making them withdraw their life savings, etc.
It does NOT make sense to me to do this in a household with so many living witnesses ( the children) and with security systems which apparently were known to the community.

I still think the unlocked door from the utility room to the outdoors is a factor, and is not accidental. The only possible exceptions I can think of would be if the house is so large that the Billings' didn't have time to check every single door before bedtime every night or if one of the children exited or entered through the door earlier in the day and no one noticed the unlocked door. However, what is the CHANCE that a kid would leave a door unlocked on the very day a heist and double execution was planned???
I think some pieces of the puzzle are still not fitting.
JMO.

Maria

I believe at the presser they said that it was common in this area for doors to be unlocked.

Also, it was still early enough they may not have locked up for the night. I think the security was in great part to help with the safety issues associated with some of the special needs the children have.

Found latest suspect through "informants" and videotapes. (Wal-Mart surveillance and tape from the Billings home.)
Sheriff won't say if the slayings were caught on tape.
Four people in custody. Two "persons of interest" One person expected to be arrested soon. Still looking for one while male.
(via PNJ on Twitter)

Seeking Jana - I understand where you are coming from as far as the doors not being locked, but to be honest - there aren't a lot of these types of crimes committed in this area (I'm a local). As crazy as it sounds (and I don't dare do it), but I know a lot of people who just don't think it's necessary to lock their doors during the day. Also, I think it's been stated that the security cameras weren't installed for the sake of security from outsiders; I think they were installed so that they could keep a safe eye on the children since many of them were disabled.

6-8 suspects? and why???
why this couple? very odd..........

LE will pull cell phone records - but I'm wondering if Lpatrick had a secret myspace or other web page. . .

It appears that, while his aunts and uncles don't think he had mental issues, those who knew him as peers certainly did:

youknowwho on July 13th, 2009 11:15 am

I went to high school with the younger Pat; at the time his last name was Poff. His dad was the sensei at the local Tae Kwon Do studio, and Pat was a star - a third degree black belt and a member of the Junior Olympic Team, if memory serves. But he was an extraordinarily odd kid, and not odd in a funny or charming way. He was odd in a frightening and creepy way. He didn’t have friends, but he wasn’t picked on; everyone was sufficiently weirded out by his mannerisms that they just stayed out of his way.

From Gulf Breeze on July 13th, 2009 11:38 am

YouKnowWho - I grew up with Pat in Gulf Breeze as well and you pegged it! Your description of him as a child and teenager is dead-on. I have been trying to describe him to my co-workers today you did it perfectly. He was always vert odd…very unstable…he weirded me out big time. He lived in my neighborhood and I tried my best to avoid him at all times.

http://www.northescambia.com/?p=9419

I believe at the presser they said that it was common in this area for doors to be unlocked.

Also, it was still early enough they may not have locked up for the night. I think the security was in great part to help with the safety issues associated with some of the special needs the children have.

But keeping the door lock would also be in keeping with the safety issues of the children I would think.

OT I have been going nuts since about 7pm eastern time when I lost all internet due to a storm.I have alot to catch up on.

I realize that some have lamented about LE talking about the precision of this crime, etc.....IMO, here's the reason why they say that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/13/billings-murder-up-to-8-p_n_230946.html

We have a team that enters at the rear of the home and another that enters at the front of the home," Morgan said. "It leads me to believe this was a very well-planned and methodical operation."

Although LE says it was 'precision', the idiots didn't really do their homework, or they wouldn't have done it the way they did.

Why so many participants??????.........IMHO, because they expected a BIG payday!!!!!! It really appears to me this honestly is in line with the plot of 'In Cold Blood.' The criminals most likely had incorrect information that this couple had MUCHO!!!!!! BUCK$ of some sort at their home. Just because they were well off, they THOUGHT they had $$$$$$$$$$$ of some form on the premesis.

I believe G jr. is the MASTERMIND......saying with a {:slap: :rolleyes: :doh:}!!!!!!!

JMHO
fran

We had a big storm earlier this afternoon and I lost both cable and internet for awhile. Cable's back, but I'm on dial-up:(

I have lots to catch up on...I just don't understand why these guys would ambush the Billings home. And, now we have guys from Okaloosa involved in this?

WTH is going on??!

But keeping the door lock would also be in keeping with the safety issues of the children I would think.

OT I have been going nuts since about 7pm eastern time when I lost all internet due to a storm.I have alot to catch up on.

The door could have been open for any number of reasons. Someone could have just gone out and come back in that door, even one of the older kids. They had two dogs that were both inside and outside. It could have been that Melanie hadn't let the dogs back inside yet. One of the older kids could have gone out of the door and Melanie hadn't had a chance to check the doors yet since she would have been busy getting them ready for bed at that time of the evening.

That wasn't a door that was typically used that often so I'm betting one of the older kids went out of it at some point during the day and Melanie did not even realize it was open. It just wouldn't be like her to just leave it open when going to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper