Court Appearances and Canadian Legal Terms

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks, Swedie. Not much in there about why the Judge looks unhappy, just why the Star was unhappy.

Interesting that they only wrote about the public who thought the Star had gone too far and the opinion piece should have been in the Op Ed section instead of the front page. The story reads more like the Star defending itself for being angry about not being able to report yet, than about the Judge being unhappy that they did it.

I don't really see the connection to pre-trial motions either. Maybe I'm missing something.

JMO

(Snipped by me for relevance to response)

What happened in court last month had nothing to do with 28.05 no matter how much you keep repeating it and how dearly held your opinion may be. The proceeding was in front of the trial judge, Stephen Glithero, and noted on the dockets as a "to be spoken to" session. It was described by the Spec as possibly pre-trial motions, which are open to the public. That's why reporters were there and Hank Bosma and a family friend.

Actually, as I recall, the press stumbled upon this hearing quite accidentally when a reporter was attending court to attend to another matter and saw the hearing posted. (I guess she must have alerted other reporters or something?) Clearly the hearing must have involved some significant preplanning because both defendants were present and bothy Bosma Senior and PL would have driven considerable distances to be present at the morning session.. IMO

Actually, as I recall, the press stumbled upon this hearing quite accidentally when a reporter was attending court to attend to another matter and saw the hearing posted. (I guess she must have alerted other reporters or something?) Clearly the hearing must have involved some significant preplanning because both defendants were present and bothy Bosma Senior and PL would have driven considerable distances to be present at the morning session.. IMO

The Spec reporter just happened to check the dockets and saw the hearing. She tweeted about it and various other reporters showed up.

I believe I read that the hearing was called a week earlier.

I doubt Tim Bosma's father considers 15 minutes a considerable distance to drive.

It was an afternoon not a morning session.

I wonder if this information is useful. According to http://www.fasken.com/files/Event/d...9-c476-4141-9e2c-7844fa2b2775/PDF Booklet.pdf a "To be spoken to Court" session relates to one or other party not completing the certification time for trial dates etc. Hardly seems particularly "controversial" or of "significant public interest" but what do I know. MOO.

"To be spoken to" is a general term that covers a lot of ground.

I have no reason to doubt a judge and crown attorney when they say the matters discussed are controversial and of public interest.

Why would they say such a thing if it weren't true?

"To be spoken to" is a general term that covers a lot of ground.

I have no reason to doubt a judge and crown attorney when they say the matters discussed are controversial and of public interest.

Why would they say such a thing if it weren't true?

Why would I suggest statements from a Judge and Crown Attorney are untrue??? It would be rather idiotic of me, would it not, to try to discredit a judge or the courts? Of course there's no reason whatsoever to question the validity of the Judge and Crown Attorney's statements about this hearing. That's precisely why I was trying to find out what is usually meant by "To be spoken to" in legal parlance. You know what? I'm pretty much reached the point of giving up on finding a single question, however benign, that can be posed without receiving a mitt to the chops challenge. MOO. IMHO. :banghead:

The Spec reporter just happened to check the dockets and saw the hearing. She tweeted about it and various other reporters showed up.

I believe I read that the hearing was called a week earlier.

I doubt Tim Bosma's father considers 15 minutes a considerable distance to drive.

It was an afternoon not a morning session.

My mistakes. I don't know where TB's father lives but as I recall it was mentioned somewhere that PL is from the London or Guelph area? I could definitely be wrong on this, too, just as apparently I was wrong about the session time. Thanks for the corrections. I also have no idea whether either or both drove to the hearings, were driven, or were otherwise transported, so there was another probable mistake. I also don't know how the senior Bosma feels about driving or being driven; whether he may consider 15 minutes to be inconsequentially brief or an extended white knuckle experience. My mistake again. All groundless assumptions. Thanks again.

My mistakes. I don't know where TB's father lives but as I recall it was mentioned somewhere that PL is from the London or Guelph area? I could definitely be wrong on this, too, just as apparently I was wrong about the session time. Thanks for the corrections. I also have no idea whether either or both drove to the hearings, were driven, or were otherwise transported, so there was another probable mistake. I also don't know how the senior Bosma feels about driving or being driven; whether he may consider 15 minutes to be inconsequentially brief or an extended white knuckle experience. My mistake again. All groundless assumptions. Thanks again.

Acton, I believe. So about an hour away.

Anyone have any idea how old TB's father is?

I don't see HB as being a helpless, frail, old man who is not capable of driving himself to the courthouse. IMO he has probably drove that route numerous times now, many just for these court appearances and is likely very familiar with Hamilton being as he has lived so close to Hamilton for many years. We are talking about a gentleman who I would imagine spent many of hours driving due to his line of business. MOO.

Timothy Hank Lenard Bosma was born on Aug. 12, 1980. He grew up in a subdivision in Ancaster, where his parents, Hank and Mary, still live.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/05/18/tim_bosma_the_painful_search_for_a_missing_man.html

Re: PL
After two days of hemming and hawing, he hopped in his car Thursday morning and made the hour drive from Acton, Ont., to the Bosma house.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/2878846-tragedy-drew-him-in-and-he-became-family/

Hank Bosma Eulogy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jznxflZsjY8

Anyone have any idea how old TB's father is?

I don't see HB as being a helpless, frail, old man who is not capable of driving himself to the courthouse. IMO he has probably drove that route numerous times now, many just for these court appearances and is likely very familiar with Hamilton being as he has lived so close to Hamilton for many years. We are talking about a gentleman who I would imagine spent many of hours driving due to his line of business. MOO.

Timothy Hank Lenard Bosma was born on Aug. 12, 1980. He grew up in a subdivision in Ancaster, where his parents, Hank and Mary, still live.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/05/18/tim_bosma_the_painful_search_for_a_missing_man.html

Re: PL
After two days of hemming and hawing, he hopped in his car Thursday morning and made the hour drive from Acton, Ont., to the Bosma house.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/2878846-tragedy-drew-him-in-and-he-became-family/

Hank Bosma Eulogy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jznxflZsjY8

What is the father's line of business? Acton, Onario? Wow. What a great chap this PL is. (Good looking guy, too, IMO) Apparently he barely even knew TB. Wonderful. Even amazing. IMO

Absolutely wonder, PL injected himself into aiding the Bosma family. Obviously he felt he had the heart and skill to help a desperate family locate their missing son, father, brother etc. under very suspicious circumstances. Bless his generous, considerate heart. MOO.

According to this article, if you do the math, HB is in his early 60's.

"I couldn't believe it, it's a boy, it's a boy!" Hank recalls with a big grin almost 34 years later. The couple, in their late 20s then, already had two children

Like his dad, a sheet metal worker, Tim loved working with his hands.

http://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/4498479-tim-bosma-the-beginning-and-the-end/

Arthur Gallant @ArthurGallant27 · Mar 20
Noudga case is adjourned. Pre-trial behind closed doors is April 21, next assignment court date is via conference call in May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeSpice