Covid-19 Vaccine Development

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What sucks is that some of us may be able to take the vaccine while our SO cannot take the same one.

:(

I know in the larger scheme of things, that could be viewed as a small thing, but...it's absolutely a difficult thing to contemplate.

We are supposed to get our first vaccines tomorrow, and begin giving injections Monday morning at 8:00 am.

Who is the "We"? You, personally? Or your nation. I'm so confused.

California is only getting something like 327,000 doses (enough for 150-154,000 pe0ple) I am not among them, as they are all going to HCW.

We are supposed to get our first vaccines tomorrow, and begin giving injections Monday morning at 8:00 am.
Who is the "We"? You, personally? Or your nation. I'm so confused.

California is only getting something like 327,000 doses (enough for 150-154,000 pe0ple) I am not among them, as they are all going to HCW.
Oh sorry, The healthcare system I am employed by is going to be the first in the area to get the vaccine. Supposed to be shipped today and we are scheduled to begin vaccinating Tier 1 tomorrow morning.

This is the first that I've seen published on the ingredient s of the Pfizer COVID vaccine, I don't see it on the FDA website yet though as to the ingredients. (Article goes into explanation thoroughly on each component)

Here, for instance, is what the US Food and Drug Administration says is in Pfizer’s vaccine:

• Active Ingredient
    • nucleoside-modified messenger RNA (modRNA) encoding the viral spike glycoprotein (S) of SARS-CoV-2
  • Lipids
    • (4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis (ALC-3015)
    • (2- hexyldecanoate),2-[(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide (ALC-0159)
    • 1,2-distearoyl-snglycero-3-phosphocholine (DPSC)
    • cholesterol
    • Salts
      • potassium chloride
      • monobasic potassium phosphate
      • sodium chloride
      • basic sodium phosphate dihydrate
    • Other
      • sucrose
The lipids
The Pfizer vaccine, like one from Moderna, uses lipid nanoparticles to encase the RNA. The nanoparticles are, basically, tiny greasy spheres that protect the mRNA and help it slide inside cells.

These particles are probably around 100 nanometers across. Curiously, that’s about the same size as the coronavirus itself.

Pfizer says it uses four different lipids in a “defined ratio.” The lipid ALC-0315 is the primary ingredient in the formulation. That’s because it’s ionizable—it can be given a positive charge, and since the RNA has a negative one, they stick together. It's also a component that can cause side-effects or allergic reactions. The other lipids, one of which is the familiar molecule cholesterol, are “helpers” that give structural integrity to the nanoparticles or stop them from clumping. During manufacturing, the RNA and the lipids are stirred into a bubbly mix to form what the FDA describes as a “white to off-white” frozen liquid.

Salts
The Pfizer vaccine contains four salts, one of which is ordinary table salt. Together, these salts are better known as phosphate-buffered saline, or PBS, a very common ingredient that keeps the pH, or acidity, of the vaccine close to that of a person’s body. You’ll understand how important that is if you’ve ever squeezed lemon juice on a cut. Substances with the wrong acidity can injure cells or get quickly degraded.

Sugar

The vaccine includes plain old sugar, also called sucrose. It’s acting here as a cryoprotectant to safeguard the nanoparticles when they’re frozen and stop them from sticking together.

Saline solution
Before injection, the vaccine is mixed with water containing sodium chloride, or ordinary salt, just as many intravenously delivered drugs are. Again, the idea is that the injection should more or less match the salt content of the blood.

No preservatives
Pfizer makes a point of saying its mixture of lipid nanoparticles and mRNA is “preservative-free.” That’s because a preservative that’s been used in other vaccines, thimerosal (which contains mercury and is there to kill any bacteria that might contaminate a vial), has been at the center of worries around over whether vaccines cause autism. The US Centers for Disease Control says thimerosal is safe; despite that, its use is being phased out. There is no thimerosal—or any other preservative—in the Pfizer vaccine. No microchips, either.

What are the ingredients of Pfizer’s covid-19 vaccine?

This is the first that I've seen published on the ingredient s of the Pfizer COVID vaccine, I don't see it on the FDA website yet though as to the ingredients. (Article goes into explanation thoroughly on each component)

Here, for instance, is what the US Food and Drug Administration says is in Pfizer’s vaccine:

• Active Ingredient
    • nucleoside-modified messenger RNA (modRNA) encoding the viral spike glycoprotein (S) of SARS-CoV-2
  • Lipids
    • (4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis (ALC-3015)
    • (2- hexyldecanoate),2-[(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide (ALC-0159)
    • 1,2-distearoyl-snglycero-3-phosphocholine (DPSC)
    • cholesterol
    • Salts
      • potassium chloride
      • monobasic potassium phosphate
      • sodium chloride
      • basic sodium phosphate dihydrate
    • Other
      • sucrose
The lipids
The Pfizer vaccine, like one from Moderna, uses lipid nanoparticles to encase the RNA. The nanoparticles are, basically, tiny greasy spheres that protect the mRNA and help it slide inside cells.

These particles are probably around 100 nanometers across. Curiously, that’s about the same size as the coronavirus itself.

Pfizer says it uses four different lipids in a “defined ratio.” The lipid ALC-0315 is the primary ingredient in the formulation. That’s because it’s ionizable—it can be given a positive charge, and since the RNA has a negative one, they stick together. It's also a component that can cause side-effects or allergic reactions. The other lipids, one of which is the familiar molecule cholesterol, are “helpers” that give structural integrity to the nanoparticles or stop them from clumping. During manufacturing, the RNA and the lipids are stirred into a bubbly mix to form what the FDA describes as a “white to off-white” frozen liquid.

Salts
The Pfizer vaccine contains four salts, one of which is ordinary table salt. Together, these salts are better known as phosphate-buffered saline, or PBS, a very common ingredient that keeps the pH, or acidity, of the vaccine close to that of a person’s body. You’ll understand how important that is if you’ve ever squeezed lemon juice on a cut. Substances with the wrong acidity can injure cells or get quickly degraded.

Sugar

The vaccine includes plain old sugar, also called sucrose. It’s acting here as a cryoprotectant to safeguard the nanoparticles when they’re frozen and stop them from sticking together.

Saline solution
Before injection, the vaccine is mixed with water containing sodium chloride, or ordinary salt, just as many intravenously delivered drugs are. Again, the idea is that the injection should more or less match the salt content of the blood.

No preservatives
Pfizer makes a point of saying its mixture of lipid nanoparticles and mRNA is “preservative-free.” That’s because a preservative that’s been used in other vaccines, thimerosal (which contains mercury and is there to kill any bacteria that might contaminate a vial), has been at the center of worries around over whether vaccines cause autism. The US Centers for Disease Control says thimerosal is safe; despite that, its use is being phased out. There is no thimerosal—or any other preservative—in the Pfizer vaccine. No microchips, either.

What are the ingredients of Pfizer’s covid-19 vaccine?
Since you mentioned thimerosal I thought I would take the opportunity to say that thimerosal in the multi-dose vials of the flu vaccine for the 2020/2021 flu season. There is no thimerosal in the single-dose vials.

If you are concerned about thimerosal, you should request a flu shot from a single-dose vial. Many hospitals, physician offices, clinics and pharmacies have both single-dose and multi-dose vials.

The multi-dose vials are most commonly used for flu shot events or locations where many doses will be given in a day or week.

I know that some people aren’t aware that thimerosal is still used in some multi-dose vials of vaccine so I try to mention when I can, for those who want to avoid it.

As Pfizer’s Covid-19 vaccine rolls out, next step is getting people to take it

For months, surveys have shown large percentages of people in the U.S. are reluctant, skeptical or even opposed to taking a Covid-19 vaccine, with concerns ranging from safety to mistrust of drugmakers and the government. Some prefer waiting to see if there are major problems or side effects.

As Pfizer’s Covid-19 vaccine rolls out, next step is getting people to take it

Bottom line:

Out of 70,000 people who received the vaccine in trials there was not even one serious reaction.

People who received the vaccine in the trials were of all races and ages.

Your chance of experiencing a serious reaction from the vaccine are much, much less than your chance of getting very sick or dying from COVID.

Oh sorry, The healthcare system I am employed by is going to be the first in the area to get the vaccine. Supposed to be shipped today and we are scheduled to begin vaccinating Tier 1 tomorrow morning.

According to the ISDH these vaccines are available only to those who are provided a link to register. I'm excited to hear how day 1 goes.

ISDH - Novel Coronavirus: Vaccine Information and Planning

My husband is employed by Pfizer , he is supposed to go to Kallammazoo Michigan right after Christmas. For 6 to 9 months, to help work on Pfizer’s vaccine. It’s 1000 miles away from
Home but as we’ve talked about between us. It’s not something he really
Can or will turn down. To
Many people need it.

All appointment time slots are already filled through Sunday. Ten minute slots, 12 hours a day.

Our phones are ringing off the hook with people wanting to make an appointment for the vaccine.

72 people per day at max then, right. (6 per hour for 12 hours = 72)

???? sites like yours would be needed daily to get to the goal of 50% by mid-year?

The largest I've seen practiced was a post upthread of maximum 1,000 per day drive through.

Numbers per day is going to be interesting to follow... IF IF that is going to be released to the general population by the government.

I wonder which organization will have a dashboard for such? Johns Hopkins or ???? or any at all???

If someone finds such, please share. The number of sites vs. how many per day... I'm wondering how it's done.

I REALLY screwed up math prior, so please correct folks lol.

ETA #3(Calculation below is off..leaving it and correcting in red)
328,000,000/365/2 = If 100% of the United states population of 328 million got the first dose in the first 6 months, how many would be vaccinated per day = 449,315 would need to be vaccinated per day within 2021 to reach 100% of 328 million. 898,630 PER DAY needed if 100% within the first 6 months. And if 50% within those first 6 months, requires back to 449,315/day.

(ETA: Math is an issue with me.ETA!!!! SEE BELOW.. I now think 1,797,260 per day is needed to meet 100% vaccinated by mid year.. the above should be 328,000,000/365 time 2 .. vs. divided by... others please correct). And if goal is 50% by mid year that would mean 898,000 per day?

Will the government release how many have been vaccinated? Has anyone seen a site that has even said this would be available?

ETA: And can someone check my math before the 60 minute edit period so I don't look like a math fool again :p:D

ETA #2: I'm correcting as I think I did wrong. Instead of dividing by two to meet how many within 6 months, I should have multiplied by two.. Correcting now.

ETA #3 - I just cannot be right?? Someone please help as it's being said it can be done by mid year... and I don't see it with the calculations I just did, and knowing what the supply is with the vaccine manufacturers~~~

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^

State health departments are tracking numbers of vaccinations. All sites need to report daily vaccination numbers to state.

All doses need to be accounted for, number given, number discarded, etc.

Also, an accurate count of number who have received dose #1 needs to be maintained to ensure there are enough of dose #2 for all of them.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^

State health departments are tracking numbers of vaccinations. All sites need to report daily vaccination numbers to state.

All doses need to be accounted for, number given, number discarded, etc.

Also, an accurate count of number who have received dose #1 needs to be maintained to ensure there are enough of dose #2 for all of them.

Absolutely agree. But have you heard of what website might be following and documenting. I would have thought this would have been publicized beforehand, yet not seen such.

Looking forward to a site that is doing such posted here. Heck, it just took until LAST WEEK that HHS is sharing with the public the information on hospital utilization.

72 people per day at max then, right. (6 per hour for 12 hours = 72)

???? sites like yours would be needed daily to get to the goal of 50% by mid-year?

The largest I've seen practiced was a post upthread of maximum 1,000 per day drive through.

Numbers per day is going to be interesting to follow... IF IF that is going to be released to the general population by the government.

I wonder which organization will have a dashboard for such? Johns Hopkins or ???? or any at all???

If someone finds such, please share. The number of sites vs. how many per day... I'm wondering how it's done.

I REALLY screwed up math prior, so please correct folks lol.

328,000,000/365/2 = If 100% of the United states population of 328 million got the first dose in the first 6 months, how many would be vaccinated per day = 449,315 would need to be vaccinated per day within 2021 to reach 100% of 328 million. 898,630 PER DAY needed if 100% within the first 6 months. And if 50% within those first 6 months, requires back to 449,315/day.

(ETA: Math is an issue with me.ETA!!!! SEE BELOW.. I now think 1,797,260 per day is needed to meet 100% vaccinated by mid year.. the above should be 328,000,000/365 time 2 .. vs. divided by... others please correct). And if goal is 50% by mid year that would mean 898,000 per day?

Will the government release how many have been vaccinated? Has anyone seen a site that has even said this would be available?

ETA: And can someone check my math before the 60 minute edit period so I don't look like a math fool again :p:D

ETA #2: I'm correcting as I think I did wrong. Instead of dividing by two to meet how many within 6 months, I should have multiplied by two.. Correcting now.

ETA #3 - I just cannot be right?? Someone please help as it's being said it can be done by mid year... and I don't see it with the calculations I just did, and knowing what the supply is with the vaccine manufacturers~~~

My location is not the only vaccination site for our company. Our organization has multiple sites that are scheduling vaccines every 10 minutes/12 hours per day. Next week we are scheduled to receive more than three times more vaccine and we will be doubling the number of vaccination sites.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back