CT- Annie Le, 24, Yale Student, Missing 9/8/09 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's how I take this: If they didn't find a body, they would have simply stated "I will say a body has not been found"...instead they stated "I will categorically say a body has not been found". Hope I'm not looking too far into this but the FBI is very concise with the words they choose...they take classes on how to word things in order to stay under the radar to be able to continue investigating crimes. I believe they found something but can't conclude it to be a body just by looking at it, and maybe legally they can't assume the parts are Annie until tested...then again, maybe I'm wrong. For some reason, though, I really think this to be the case...

OT~ Hi sweetie, I haven't seen you in so long it's so good to see you again!

On topic:

I agree with you. Specifically, when we listen to the FBI make statements we have to listen very carefully to what they are saying for the reason you have given.

You still got only the locals covering it on scene. New Haven is not exactly a major market. Trust me, had Geraldo, Greta, Nancy, any of the networks been up there -- it wouldn't have been the same. These are the local guys who have to cover the next town hall meeting and when the FBI comes in they are in awe. No offense to smaller market reporters, I been there.

OK, but the FBI acting so strange and unprofessional???

Jersey*Girl;4150801 I think that parts of a body were found and they have to test it before they can inform it is Annie

snipped

Whose body parts could it be if not hers?

I seriously can not see LE playing with us like this for ANY reason! Maybe I am naive but when LE talks I believe what comes out of their mouth..But it can be all LIES & it is OK? :confused:

I honestly couldn't tell if she was shocked or trying not to smile. Something stinks here folks....I just don't get what that pc was all about.

That's why I asked earlier browneyes, does anyone recall when this presser was scheduled? Was it scheduled in advance...and there was a focus and goal in introducing who was handling Annie's case...etc.

Or was this impromtu?

TIA for anyone that can provide insight.

Well, what if they were men's clothes? That might be Annie's blood on them, and they were hidden in the ceiling to be collected later...And if they haven't found her, then it may take a bit to determine whose blood it is.

Hey Lin, I just thought of something...According to some news agencies, it was the police that were confirming a body has been found. The FBI is involved now and are the one's that worded everything so very carefully. Since the FBI has full jurisdiction over any capital crimes case, they almost never release evidential info unless it can be proven, I guess it's considered premature? Anyway, I wonder if that's the reason for the discrepency? Maybe the reporter confirmed it with the police but then the FBI said no way are they releasing that info and the police should never have done that in the first place...then again, the police never made an official statement...only talked to their contact...hmmm...
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, you just don't do that kind of major backpedaling, so I'm thinking the source leaked prematurely without getting approval. I think they have something very incriminating and that they know for sure that Annie is dead, they've already spoken with her family- it wouldn't just be now that they'd be interviewing them to see if she was a runaway bride...

My problem is, why did they hold that press conference? It seemed to me that they did it in order to say that they had a press conference. They all introduced themselves and said nothing.

They gave a phone number for a hotline. But I can not believe that was the point.
They did not do it in order to make the bad guy nervous and turn himself in...because that press conference would not make anyone nervous.

Can anyone speculate on what they were hoping to accomplish with that performance?

I am very saddened by the news that bloody clothing was found if they found a body or not. What are the chances that bloody clothing stuck in a ceiling would not have something to do with this missing woman in the building where she was last reported to be seen? Evidently, the SA was there which tells me they did find some evidence directly related to this case.

Sources: Bloody clothing found at Yale
New Haven State's Attorney Dearington at scene

Around 12:15 p.m., New Haven State's Attorney Michael Dearington was photographed leaving the building at 10 Amistad St. with New Haven Assistant Chief Peter Reichard.

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_ha...en_bloody_clothing_found_at_yale_200909121535

I don't think they found parts of her body or her body yet. I think they are going to wait until they do DNA testing on the clothing before they will say it is connected to her. They are being overly cautious because of where this took place, imo.

The last thing Yale wants is to admit one of their premier students has been murdered on campus by an unknown person who is still at large. LE, the SA, and Campus police will work to avoid that one. They know Yale does not want bad publicity. We have seen this in other cases with Universities who wield the power financially and in other ways over the local government, imo. I don't think they will admit anything until they have a POI or a suspect in custody and are ready to bring charges. This won't happen until they have her body, imo.

aren't always police. There are janitors and sisters-in-law, and neighbors who hear or overhear or think they hear things, put 2 and 2 together, then phone the press/tv with what they think they know. And if a source has been dependable or accurate in the past, the media will run with it.

Yep, I totally agree. But the dramatic acting looked fake to me. Even my husband said "she looks ridiculous and unprofessional".

Totally fakey. It was insulting. The whole tone of the PC was insulting. "(Smile) Now don't you worry your little minds and get all in a tizzy about this. There's no such thing as monsters."
The only excuse for that press conference is if they think they may have found evidence that Annie is alive and they want to confirm it before informing her family.

That's why I asked earlier browneyes, does anyone recall when this presser was scheduled? Was it scheduled in advance...and there was a focus and goal in introducing who was handling Annie's case...etc.

Or was this impromtu?

I saw that the presser was scheduled around 4:30...or that's when I saw it on the news. Shortly after, posts appeared and it was reported that a body was found. I'm very confused.

Or was this impromtu?

I believe it was planned only AFTER it was reported by so many her body had been found..

WO WO WO WO. MAJOR NEWS NETWORKS? Which one? As far as I can tell this was reported by the FOX affiliate in New Haven and there was a mention early this afternoon in a NY Daily News post that was quickly removed. IF anybody has any other evidence please put it forth.

I got mine from Comcast, but NY Daily News & Fox, CNN started then said nothing more and retracted a bit. I stand by what I said and do believe they wouldn't have reported a body was found if "something" wasn't found. I believe the police were premature in disclosing this information and the FBI countered with their statement of "categorically" saying a "body" has "not" been found. There is still an unsolved murder which took place 10 years ago, at Yale, so maybe they think the cases "could" be linked so they are disclosing information as they deem fit. I have to say, as mad as it makes me as a citizen, I'm glad the FBI is handling it this way. I just wish they would have worded it differently, if this is even the case, to protect the people of New Haven if anything. kwim?

snipped

A statement like this can not be made just cos they feel like being secretive..Am I wrong about that?

Yes, they can, and do it all the time. It is a method to protect them legally from premature disclosure.

snipped

Whose body parts could it be if not hers?

I seriously can not see LE playing with us like this for ANY reason! Maybe I am naive but when LE talks I believe what comes out of their mouth..But it can be all LIES & it is OK? :confused:

Apparently they do animal testing on site - if the body was burned or put into acid, it's possible there might be bone/tooth remains not immediately identifiable as human.

UPDATE: Annie Le has not been found, crime scene discovered in Yale building
Published: Saturday, September 12, 2009
<snipped>
Yale University grad student Annie Le remains missing but bloody clothes and other evidence of a crime scene have been found inside the building where she was was last seen, authorities and police sources said Saturday.

The discovery may dash hopes that Le, whose wedding Sunday has been called off, would be found alive.

Investigators held a briefing on the case at about 5:30 p.m. Saturday. A Yale official said Le's family said they have no reason to believe Le did not want to get married Sunday.

Police sources said the evidence was discovered in a ceiling at the Yale building at 10 Amistad St. where surveillance footage shows Le entering Tuesday morning. She has not been seen since. The building houses the university&#8217;s molecular biology labs.

Article:
http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/09/12/news/new_haven/doc4aac0d0c64dc2839112187.txt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Annie Le - Yale University Press Conference September 12, 2009
September 12, 3:57 PM Salt Lake City Headlines Examiner Marci Stone
<snipped>
CNN aired a live press conference today that included: Linda Lorimer, Vice-President at Yale University, and FBI Special Agent, Kim Mertz, James Perrotti, Yale University Police, Peter Reichard, New Haven Police, and Bill Baldwin.

They have asked that the media to respect the family and their privacy during this time. A rumor had been going around that a body had been found earlier today on the campus, and they stated that a body has not been found. They have conducted hundreds of interviews this week and stated that they are fortunate to have 75 cameras around the building where Annie Le was last seen.

Article:
http://www.examiner.com/x-19632-Sal...University-Press-Conference-September-12-2009
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Search Continues in Missing Yale Student Annie Le Case
3 mins ago
<snipped>
Contrary to published reports of a body and bloody clothing found Saturday, federal, state and local authorities in Connecticut said investigators were still searching for clues to the disappearance of missing Yale graduate student Annie Le of Placerville.

During an afternoon news conference, FBI special agent Kim Mertz said no body had been found in the Yale University's molecular biology labs where Le was last seen Tuesday and the search for the 24-year-old was ongoing.

"I will categorically say a body has not been found," Mertz said.

When asked about the bloody clothing report, Mertz said, "All I will say is that items that could potentially be evidence have been seized. None have been associated with Annie Le."

Where is Annie Le? Search Continues for Missing Yale Grad Student: Cornell Barnard's Report; 9/11/09, 11 p.m.
http://www.news10.net/video/default.aspx?mid=1251351050&provider=topVideo

Article:
http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=66817&catid=2

:angel:

I think he probably said "the Amistad Building" and not "the homicide building."

I played it back over and over and over again - definitely said "homicide" then "Amistad" was said. I personally think is was a mishap that belied what's in his mind of knowledge.

Special report on Annie Le mystery
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRaZCwsUtl4"]YouTube - Special report on Annie Le mystery[/ame]

I saw that the presser was scheduled around 4:30...or that's when I saw it on the news. Shortly after, posts appeared and it was reported that a body was found. I'm very confused.

Thank you browneyes. The reason I have asked is ~ there remains a distinct possibility that this was a planned presser ~ planned in advance, and with a goal of introducing who investigating..etc.

That is something that happens from time to time in different cases. From what I've seen.

Then we have an unidentified source who made the claim that Annie's body had been found shortly before this presser. (I say shortly from what I've been able to figure out so far, I may be off).

So this presser may not have been called to discuss that claim by the unidentified source. But rather was for something altogether different.

My point also was that even though many of us would like information right now this minute...we have to keep consideration that the family of any victim trumps our need for info, in that they deserve to have any information that is going to be released to the public first. Always.

I don't know what to think right now, I can't figure it out. In the next few hours we will know for sure what LE/FBI has to say about Annie's case.

When a situation becomes fluid in that it starts to quickly move, even with leaked information from unidentified sources or rumors, confusion almost always ensues for a period of time afterwards. It's frustrating I know.

Totally fakey. It was insulting. The whole tone of the PC was insulting. "(Smile) Now don't you worry your little minds and get all in a tizzy about this. There's no such thing as monsters."
The only excuse for that press conference is if they think they may have found evidence that Annie is alive and they want to confirm it before informing her family.
Yes, and if they had behaved more professionally, we probably wouldn't be so skeptical about their honesty and motives.

My son just confirmed that they haven't confirmed that those were her clothes, so their words make more sense to me now, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clm79