CT- Annie Le, 24, Yale Student, Missing 9/8/09 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you think she would not have walked 3-4 blocks carrying papers? What I am more curious about is where are those papers now? Perhaps she was working on some kind of medical breakthrough and someone wanted to steal her research? If she was working with 7 other people in the lab, I wonder when THEY last saw her, and which lab?

Can't imagine students at Yale are much different than anywhere else - most research for a dissertation or otherwise is kept under lock and key, backed up by at least 2 computers, with an extra copy in a vault (lol). Annie must be brilliant and her dissertation topic very timely - lots of competition in that area. She could very well have been the target of jealousy, hatred, racism, etc.

That's what I think too. But media has been reporting she swiped her card to get into the building. I wanted to try to clarify.

Yes, well media never seems to get anything exactly right! Anyway, it looks like the person coming out of the building most likely held the door and let her into the building right then.....since she was carrying something in her hands it would sure have been rude if they did NOT do that.

That's what I think too. But media has been reporting she swiped her card to get into the building. I wanted to try to clarify.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but what if the doors from the sidewalk are open for deliveries etc and they they have to swipe once inside to another set of doors??????

I agree Wiki! As a university student, it is probably not unusual of her to carry papers, and perhaps they were in binders or something, so she may not have been worried about losing any.

It was morning time so I can understand walking three blocks. Your backpack comment makes sense. My question to you though is why your gut thinks this is important? I'm not disparaging, just curious. I'm interested in your extended thought process. Perhaps she left her purse and other belongings at her office because she had to carry all those papers to the lab. Speaking of, did those papers make it to the lab? Obviously we'll have to wait and see.

Can't imagine students at Yale are much different than anywhere else - most research for a dissertation or otherwise is kept under lock and key, backed up by at least 2 computers, with an extra copy in a vault (lol). Annie must be brilliant and her dissertation topic very timely - lots of competition in that area. She could very well have been the target of jealousy, hatred, racism, etc.

I saw the idea floated that there may have been jealousy because she was marrying a man outside of her race from a man that shared her race.

I agree with you eyes about the competition in that environment too.

I also wanted to float another possiblity to go along with those other two, her Fiance, could he possibly have an ex gf or friend (even associate) that is jealous of this beautiful, intelligent and accomplished woman who is going to marry him?

one of the comments at yale daily news said it could have been a cleaning person... fwiw

Not sure if this was mentioned, but what if the doors from the sidewalk are open for deliveries etc and they they have to swipe once inside to another set of doors??????

Once inside, I'm sure there are elevators taking a person to different floors of labs, conference rooms, etc. Seems that without knowing the layout, we are only guessing. Hopefully someone familiar with the building will join us here at WS.

Is there even one report saying Annie was seen in her lab or in her lab coat?

You know, there have been alot of biologists and biochemists that have disappeared or met with foul play in the past decade. Two from Harvard, and one from inside the Salt Lake City airport the lady in the NJ watertank. Not saying this has to do with anything. It just strikes me as odd.

Don Wiley
Now Memphis police are exploring several theories involving suicide, robbery and murder. They also wonder if the disappearance could be connected to his expertise.
Wiley is seen as one of the world's leading researchers of deadly viruses, including HIV and the Ebola virus.
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/11/28/missing.scientist/index.html

Police on Saturday identified a body discovered in the Mississippi River this week as that of a Harvard University biochemist, missing for more than a month. More at link:
http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/12/22/missing.scientist/

Margie Profet
The most striking thing about biologist Margie Profet used to be her unconventional theories about evolution and pregnancy, conceived as she surfed the perilous waters of academe with neither tenure track nor PhD.
Now, more than 15 years after she made headlines as a young scientific “It Girl,” the most striking thing about Profet is how her life suddenly stopped. One day she was at Harvard University and the next day she wasn't. The prodigal prodigy vanished into thin air, disappeared without a trace. More at link:
http://blogs.discovery.com/news_animal/2009/06/scientist-disappears-without-a-trace.html

Yale To Celebrate Opening of New Building for Stem Cell, Cardiovascular, and Immune System Research

Published: October 1, 2007

New Haven, Conn. — Yale School of Medicine on October 5 will celebrate the opening of a new four-story building on Amistad Street to house medical researchers working on cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and the biology and uses of stem cells.

“This laboratory building will be the home of three interdisciplinary research programs that seek to harness the latest discoveries in medical science to the advancement of clinical care,” said Yale Medical School Dean Robert Alpern.

http://opa.yale.edu/news/article.aspx?id=1554

The building is only a few years old and is their newest research facility. Notice that Stem Cell Research takes place in this building. That alone could make the building a target.

What makes me really think she isn't a runaway bride, which maybe I am wrong, is the fact that she was close on her degree, and was working in a lab. I just got in the micro lab at my school, and its like a HUGE deal in the nerd world, and I just can't imagine, working that hard(labs are very competitive) and wanting to walk away from it....

As far as carrying papers on the campus, I don't find it very unusual at all, I know I see people doing this all time, and have juggled quite a few binders/papers myself, and in general, while you should always have your safety guard up, on a campus during the day, I can't imagine anyone being too worried.

Yale To Celebrate Opening of New Building for Stem Cell, Cardiovascular, and Immune System Research

Published: October 1, 2007

New Haven, Conn. — Yale School of Medicine on October 5 will celebrate the opening of a new four-story building on Amistad Street to house medical researchers working on cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and the biology and uses of stem cells.

“This laboratory building will be the home of three interdisciplinary research programs that seek to harness the latest discoveries in medical science to the advancement of clinical care,” said Yale Medical School Dean Robert Alpern.

http://opa.yale.edu/news/article.aspx?id=1554

The building is only a few years old and is their newest research facility. Notice that Stem Cell Research takes place in this building. That alone could make the building a target.

A little more about the building:

http://www.imakenews.com/cure/e_article000932833.cfm?x=b11,0,w

amistad400.jpg

I find the manner in which she is carrying the "papers" to be very unusual. It looks as if she is carrying or cradling something living. My first thought when I saw this pic is she was carrying a baby wrapped in a blanket, before I knew anything about the case.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,549222,00.html?test=latestnews
perhaps it was a research animal, a monkey maybe? It does not look like papers nor does it look like the way a person would carry papers to me.

ETA the picture is the second one you have to click on, sorry I didn't know the link would work that way.

Once inside, I'm sure there are elevators taking a person to different floors of labs, conference rooms, etc. Seems that without knowing the layout, we are only guessing. Hopefully someone familiar with the building will join us here at WS.

Just FYI and FWIW

The layout of the building was calculated to facilitate teamwork,
featuring continuous, open spaces between labs,
faculty
offices grouped together by common research goals,
and conference rooms situated next to the offices.

page 13
http://www.seas.yale.edu/pdfs/bme-news-spring2008.pdf

I find the manner in which she is carrying the "papers" to be very unusual. It looks as if she is carrying or cradling something living. My first thought when I saw this pic is she was carrying a baby wrapped in a blanket, before I knew anything about the case.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,549222,00.html?test=latestnews
perhaps it was a research animal, a monkey maybe? It does not look like papers nor does it look like the way a person would carry papers to me.

ETA the picture is the second one you have to click on, sorry I didn't know the link would work that way.

I agree..

(from your link)

1_62_le_annie_surveillance.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics