CT- Annie Le, missing from Yale, thread #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm bringing over my previous post from yesterday where WTNH says the guy in the blue shirt was the second guy taken in for questioning. Gotta love the media.....

Picture of the man in the blue shirt at the below link:
http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_hav...b_200909121120

(snip)
Two agents were seen questioning the man just before 10:30 a.m. Saturday outside the lab where 24-year-old Annie Le was last seen. When they finished talking, the man got in the front seat of the unmarked car and one of the agents got in the back seat. The car then drove away.
About two hours later, around 12:15 p.m., a man in a blue shirt got into a car with a man wearing a New Haven police jacket. That car also drove off.
It was not immediately clear who the men are, and what their connection is to the disappearance of Le.

The caption now says

New Haven State's Attorney Michael Dearington (blue shirt) gets into an unmarked New Haven police vehicle outside 10 Amistad St. Saturday, Sept. 12, 2009.

Eyes,

Professsor Bennett's class was not cancelled, IIRC. It was Robek's afternoon class in Pathology, for which Annie is a TA, that was canceled.

Posters have said they think 9 p.m. Tuesday was early for Annie's roommate to report Annie missing, but I have a hunch this might have happened:

Annie's roommate may have been contacted by one/some of her co-workers, concerned that "no one knew where she was," Tuesday evening and, upon learning that no one had seen her since morning, her roommate called the New Haven police about 9 p.m.

MOO.

Link for Le being TA for Robek?

You must mean - Annie being the ?TA for Robek? This was discussed on thread #1 & 2...the fact was known Annie was to TA a Pathology Class at 2:00PM on Tuesday, we all thought it was Dr. Bennett's class. Last night a blogger finally looked through the schedule and discovered the Path class was Dr. Robek's. To find a link, you would have to go back and find one of the links that talk about Dr. Bennett's call to cancel the class at 2:00 for path. I have no idea where it is...I just know it exists because we have discussed it for hours each day and night. Sorry!

Now that is something I have to question, too. Also...not sure about the steam because in one article I read last night it was mentioned it was set off due to a malfunction in the system and it was being looked at for tampering but didn't suspect it. What?!

Does the FBI and LE realize who they are dealing with in this case?! YALE students who have already proven to be the brightest and the best minds in the country! Sheesh! Doesn't Yale have a Crime Scene Analysis class they could get to work the area? At this point, it would be advisable.

The FBI agent in the presser actually said it was set off by a steam vent turned on by someone. But didn't infer that there was anything nefarious about that. Who set off that steam vent and did the have a legit reason to do so? And what area of the building did that happen?

I'm bringing over my previous post from yesterday where WTNH says the guy in the blue shirt was the second guy taken in for questioning. Gotta love the media.....

Picture of the man in the blue shirt at the below link:
http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_hav...b_200909121120

(snip)
Two agents were seen questioning the man just before 10:30 a.m. Saturday outside the lab where 24-year-old Annie Le was last seen. When they finished talking, the man got in the front seat of the unmarked car and one of the agents got in the back seat. The car then drove away.
About two hours later, around 12:15 p.m., a man in a blue shirt got into a car with a man wearing a New Haven police jacket. That car also drove off.
It was not immediately clear who the men are, and what their connection is to the disappearance of Le.

The caption now says

New Haven State's Attorney Michael Dearington (blue shirt) gets into an unmarked New Haven police vehicle outside 10 Amistad St. Saturday, Sept. 12, 2009.
Hahahahahaha~ Thanks, Suzi~ I sure needed that laugh today. They don't even know who their own SA is or what he looks like?!?! OMG!

I'm sure this isn't exact 'cause there are so many discrepancies in time, so please correct what is wrong. Rough draft done by Eyes4crime (for the purpose of trying to understand the timing of Dr. Bennett's text messages) TIA

Sept. 8th. - Annie leaves belongings in office at Sterling Hall of Medicine

Sept. 8th (10:00am) - Annie walks 3 blocks to the lab on 10 Anistan st. and is on video being let into bldg

Sept 8th -(10:30 - ?) Dr. Bennett was teaching a class Not sure how long it lasted

Sept. 8th (12:00pm) - Bennett e-mailed Schlessinger around noon informing him that Le had not come in to work and no one knew where she was. Annie would not be available to TA her class at 2:00pm

Sept. 8th (1:00am) - Fire alarm is pulled - thought to be triggered by a smoking wire

Sept. 8th (2:00pm) - Annie misses Dr. Michael D. Robek Ph.D., Pathology class; Annie is the TA

Sept. 8th (9:00pm) - Annie is reported missing by her roommate

Sept. 11th - Prof Bennett was questioned regarding the cancellation of his class, and e-mails

EYES questions: Sept 8th 12:00 - Annie's purse and personal belongings were in her office at Sterling Hall. Was Dr. Bennett not aware that Annie had visited her office

AND why would he call Dr. Schlessinger (at noon) about Annie not showing up to TA the Pathology class at 2:00pm? Why was it cancelled so early? I'm not saying Dr. Bennett is guilty of any crime, but there are questions that make the timing of his calls very suspect. mho If anyone can explain how he would know so early that Annie could not TA at 2:00 - I would appreciate it immensely. TIA

That's a great timeline! Dr. Bennett may not have been aware that she had been to her office. We don't know where his office is. If his office is in the same location as his lab (10 Armitage) I can see that he would not be aware. He would have no reason to go to her office if he was expecting her to show up at the lab. In my experience, doctoral students have a great deal of freedom- they're taking classes, teaching classes, have oddly timed experiments, etc. Nobody really questions your whereabouts unless you miss a lab meeting or a scheduled appointment without explanation.

I believe on that class schedule, it said that the 8th was the first day of the class- perhaps there was a meeting scheduled to go over things first, or prep work she was supposed to do. When she didn't show up for that, he knew she was unlikely to show up for the class itself.

It is possible that someone called him looking for her in relation to that class, when they couldn't get in touch with her, and that's what prompted the email.

I believe it was said it ended at 12:00pm. (Not sure where those times originated.)

Thanks. It might have been scheduled to end at 12:00 but did it? Often in the beginning of a quarter or semester classes run short, especially if there is no lab. It could have lasted 1/2 hour for all I know.

That's a great timeline! Dr. Bennett may not have been aware that she had been to her office. We don't know where his office is. If his office is in the same location as his lab (10 Armitage) I can see that he would not be aware. He would have no reason to go to her office if he was expecting her to show up at the lab. In my experience, doctoral students have a great deal of freedom- they're taking classes, teaching classes, have oddly timed experiments, etc. Nobody really questions your whereabouts unless you miss a lab meeting or a scheduled appointment without explanation.

I believe on that class schedule, it said that the 8th was the first day of the class- perhaps there was a meeting scheduled to go over things first, or prep work she was supposed to do. When she didn't show up for that, he knew she was unlikely to show up for the class itself.

It is possible that someone called him looking for her in relation to that class, when they couldn't get in touch with her, and that's what prompted the email.

Thanks! It's a time-line for Bennett...I'll keep it and upgrade it to a real time-line. I'm pretty sure his office is in the Sterling bldg. The same bldg Annie left her purse and phone. He has a team working out of Anistan but his office is in Sterling...I think? lol nothing is for sure anymore.

I recall reading that she was working 10 hour days plus in order to shore up things before the wedding. To me, it indicated she was still planning on going to the class as a TA on Tuesday as it would be part of her normal schedule of things to wrap up. Were they taking a couple of days or a couple of weeks off after the wedding? I don't think this has been addressed yet.

There was no mention of a planned honeymoon and a Sunday morning wedding, imo, is a bit unusual. With both of them in highly demanding positions with school and their work right now, it doesn't seem they were taking time off or changing their schedules to be together after the wedding. There has been no mention how they were going to work the distance between schools after the wedding at all.

sunday weddings: works for jewish faith. they might want to avoid the sabbath for a wedding, as is tradition. so it's saturday nights or sundays.

working in separate citys?: Columbia University to Yale University: should be 1 hour 40 minute train commute from grand central station (NYC) to new haven. lots of folks do that commute. We were in the same situation when we were first married. Commuter grad students. Love your work and know it's temporary. I've been thinking that two grad students might have some flexibility, long weekends, long breaks, etc., that makes all of this work on a temporary basis.

honeymoon: Again thinkin' like a bride. I'd have lots of "stuff" to bring from New Haven to my wedding including my honeymoon bag. But, maybe I'd have already brought everything I needed to NYC, and I was just tying things up at Yale so I could take off for a few weeks.

Thanks! It's a time-line for Bennett...I'll keep it and upgrade it to a real time-line. I'm pretty sure his office is in the Sterling bldg. The same bldg Annie left her purse and phone. He has a team working out of Anistan but his office is in Sterling...I think? lol nothing is for sure anymore.

I know! It's so frustrating! I feel that what little information we have is all garbled, too.

Hahahahahaha~ Thanks, Suzi~ I sure needed that laugh today. They don't even know who their own SA is or what he looks like?!?! OMG!

I'm telling you BE VERY CAREFUL about these media reports. This mistaking the STATE ATTORNEY for a PERP is as bad as it gets. However, tomorrow you will see news coverage change. The weekend is over, the story has gone national, and you will see REAL reporters starting to head up there. Even in the local NYC newspapers they're quoting WTNH, The New Haven Register.

I know! It's so frustrating! I feel that what little information we have is all garbled, too.

well, maybe a little garbled, but ... oh, no, Labrat, this will be very helpful.

Wait until you see what happens to your timeliine over the next few days...
WS will have its' way with it - hope you don't mind a group project!

I'm grateful to finally know when the roomie reported Annie missing. 9 PM.
To me that says ANNIE HAD A HARD SCHEDULE that day. She was leaving town, and she was MISSED by those who knew what she was supposed to be doing and who she was supposed to be meeting long before 9 PM, when someone (the roomie) in her circle was finally moved to call this in.

Do we know who & when someone noticed the purse in her office?

No, I will double check...but I think he is located in the same building as her lab and not Sterling.

sunday weddings: works for jewish faith. they might want to avoid the sabbath for a wedding, as is tradition. so it's saturday nights or sundays.

working in separate citys?: Columbia University to Yale University: should be 1 hour 40 minute train commute from grand central station (NYC) to new haven. lots of folks do that commute. We were in the same situation when we were first married. Commuter grad students. Love your work and know it's temporary. I've been thinking that two grad students might have some flexibility, long weekends, long breaks, etc., that makes all of this work on a temporary basis.

honeymoon: Again thinkin' like a bride. I'd have lots of "stuff" to bring from New Haven to my wedding including my honeymoon bag. But, maybe I'd have already brought everything I needed to NYC, and I was just tying things up at Yale so I could take off for a few weeks.
Thanks, Emma~ I learn something new every day around here. :)

I have just read through this thread, thanks for all the fascinating assessments.

Regarding the items Annie was carrying--is it possible these had some value? If they were exams, for instance, would they have been theft worthy? I hope whatever is was has been scrutinized and accounted for by LE.

Thanks, Emma~ I learn something new every day around here. :)

Now that's true ain't it? And this one's so interesting. But, damn, it's tragic. I can't even read the articles about the wedding plans. Too heartbreaking today.

Now that is something I have to question, too. Also...not sure about the steam because in one article I read last night it was mentioned it was set off due to a malfunction in the system and it was being looked at for tampering but didn't suspect it. What?!

Does the FBI and LE realize who they are dealing with in this case?! YALE students who have already proven to be the brightest and the best minds in the country! Sheesh! Doesn't Yale have a Crime Scene Analysis class they could get to work the area? At this point, it would be advisable.

Here's the pertinent exchange from the press conference transcript (Lorimer is VP and Mertz is the FBI agent.)

UNIDENTIFIED REPORTER: Ms. Lorimer, can you talk about this report of a fire drill in that building at about 6:00 time, and do you believe that was any kind of diversion or has it been confirmed that happened.

LORIMER: From the reports that I have gotten, it was a kind of fire alarm that is not the old-fashioned kind that someone might have pulled. One of the questions I had about this. It was a kind that would be automatically triggered. in this case, the underlying rationale was there was steam that came out of a piece of equipment and steam set it off, I think much in the same way we might have one of the alarm go off in our house, if you're boiling something on the kitchen stove.

UNIDENTIFIED REPORTER: And was it an accidental stream or was it a steam that was caused by a human being?

MERTZ: I believe it was caused by a human being opening up a device that let the steam out.

UNIDENTIFIED REPORTER: By mistake or on purpose?

(CROSSTALK)
http://archives.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0909/12/cnr.07.html

ETA I think where the transcript has the reporter saying "at about 6:00 time," he really said "at about this time." I used to proofread depositions, and that's a common sort of mistake in transcription.

I'm sure this isn't exact due to many discrepancies. Please leave a comment so I can edit...thanks! Rough draft done by Eyes4crime (for the purpose of trying to understand the timing of Dr. Bennett's text messages) TIA

Building #1 - Anton Bennett lab and office (Assist. Prof. Pharmacology Dept.) are both in Sterling Hall of Medicine (333 Cedar Street). Annie left personal belongings, purse etc, in her office in Sterling Hall of Medicine. Annie's 1st stop Tues am.

Bldg. #2 - 10 Anistan Street (Annie's 2nd and last stop)

Sept. 8th. - Annie arrives and leaves personal belongings in office at Sterling Hall of Medicine (333 Sterling). Walks 3 blocks to lab on 10 Anistan St.

Sept. 8th (10:00am) - Annie on video being let into building on Anistan.

Sept 8th -(10:30 - 12:00pm) Dr. Bennett teaching a class, Pharm 528a, Principles of Signal Transduction. 1st class of the new quarter - (could have ended at at a time prior to 12:00). Dr. Bennett's class and the Anton Bennett Lab are both in the Sterling bldg., along with Annie's office.

Sept. 8th (12:00pm) - Bennett e-mailed Schlessinger (Pharmacology Department Chair) around noon informing him that Le had not arrived at work and that no one knew where she was. Annie would not be available to TA her Pathology class at 2:00pm. Class was cancelled by Dr. Schlessinger?? or Dr. Bennett?? (anyone know)

Sept. 8th (12:40pm) - Fire alarm caused people to exit; thought to be triggered by person opening device that let steam out (no report if this was an accident or intentional).

Sept. 8th (late afternoon) - School of Medicine Dean Robert Alpern notified about Le’s disappearance just prior to Department of Pharmacology meeting. Dr. Alpern was briefed regarding the on-going investigation.

Sept. 8th (2:00pm) - Dr. Michael D. Robek's first Pathology class of the quarter was cancelled earlier in the day by Dr. Bennett or Dr. Schlessinger. Annie is the TA for this class.

Sept. 8th (9:00pm) - Annie reported missing by her roommate

Sept. 8th? - Annie's belongings, purse, credit cards, keys, wallet, were discovered early on by Yale University Police.

Sept. 11th - Prof Bennett questioned regarding the cancellation of Robek's Pathology class, and e-mails

EYES questions: Sept 8th 12:00 - Annie's purse and personal belongings were in her office at Sterling Hall. Was Dr. Bennett not aware that Annie had visited her office?

AND why would he call Dr. Schlessinger (at noon) about Annie not showing up to TA the Pathology class at 2:00pm? Why was it cancelled so early? I'm not saying Dr. Bennett is guilty of any crime, but there are questions that make the timing of his calls very suspect. mho If anyone can explain how he would know so early that Annie could not TA at 2:00 - I would appreciate it immensely. TIA

I'm bringing this time-line over with all the changes. Thanks SO much to everyone for helping to get it right. Hope we can make it more accurate. There are many time changes (thanks SS). I can edit for the next 24 hours. If you have something to add please let me know. :blowkiss:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member