Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090914/ap_on_re_us/us_missing_yale_student

This says a network of 75 cameras are trained on every door.They must already know who did this.Between the card scans and the video and the clothes,they must have a good idea.

Agreed, MJ deeply saddened by this outcome. From the very beginning alot of us were "baffled" as to why Annie was not recorded leaving the building. Many days to find the bloody clothes and body in the basement. Where cadaver dogs could have picked up this scent DAY 1, University police took upon themselves to try and resolve this quietly (What a joke). Based on all News reports now, the fact the body was placed in the WALL of one of their buildings, that maybe just maybe, State and local police will react more quickly in the future. I certainly don't hope its one of their professors that murdered this wonderfully brilliant student.

I also wonder if Annie was dead before she placed in the wall? Was Annie alive and left in this walls for days..:mad:

A comment regarding my posted time-line: Time-lines help organize my thinking. I usually start a rough one for myself when cases are complicated regarding time and unknowns.

Threads #1 & 2, the discussion regarding phone calls, times, and involvement of certain Profs were discussed by bloggers for pages. The prevailing confusion centered on where Annie's office was vs her lab and how did Schlessinger and Bennett's comments enter into the picture.

Please understand, the time-line was not prepared with guilt of either professor in mind, nor was it orchestrated to perpetrate my own agenda. Unfortunately it was treated as a future subpoenaed document that would determine innocence or guilt; it is nothing more than a simple guideline for our confusion. thanks :crazy:

It would have to have come from something in the hood that gave off enough vapour to escape the hood so if you were going to intentionally trigger the alarm I don't think you would do it in a hood (I don't think they have alarms in hoods). Of course if you put the sash all the way up the hood wouldn't work as well but anyway if you wanted to intentionally trigger the alarm the hood might not be the best place to do it.
I just posted what the fbi was quoted as saying.. .that the steam did come from a laboratory hood. The picture of the hood that I looked up was a "steam" hood...

(posted upstream)

The reason I posted the quote was because it was a lot more detail about what set off the steam alarm than we knew earlier.

eta: sorry that was not a steam hood.... I just did more reading on hoods used for steam and posted it down stream....

Was his spin-off company "Kolltan" mentioned? Supposedly new cancer drug founded by him and being funded millions, just this year.

I'd like to mention something...It may have been founded by him but I have a very sneaky suspicion he knows something's up. There are sooo many ways to get grants to work in your favor, one of them is by faking research or "adding" to the data that was found by someone else. If the data shows that it's probable or promissing, then the more money your research team or university is funded for such causes. If a member of that team finds that something's off and disproves it, the university can lose some of that funding and/or be fined. Trust me, this is just a brainstorm. I do not believe this is political, let me repeat probably not political (subject to change) but it's a scenario worth throwing out there.

I would also like to reiterate that Cancer research, AIDS & HIV, Diabetes are all closely related. As a matter of fact, many scientists and microbiologists sort of believe if a cure for diabetes can be found, then a vaccine for AIDS will be found shortly after. Just sayin'. How do I know this? I learned it at FSU from 1989-1992.

From what we do know, it's been reported that that whole building, especially the area Annie worked in, was digitally secure and monitored. The perp, I would think, would be another student or somebody that was able to pass high clearance to be a maintenance worker in that building. I would "hope" that somebody working in maintenance would have to pass a critical & thorough background check in order to work in that building, less of a check in other parts of the university.

The size of the Lab Hood is scary compared to Annie's small stature!

I think that it was used on purpose to create a 'fog' to allow the person to place the body in the wall without being observed by the video cameras. The steam alarm was triggered by this allowing the perp more time and privacy to commit this horrible murder and attempted cover up.

I hope this monster is caught soon. I can't imagine how uneasy the students at Yale feel right now with a murderer running loose.

I find it pathetic that about 24 hours earlier the FBI agent catagorically denied that a body had been found in the building and about 24 hours later, we get an announcment that a body had been found in the building.

Either the initial reports were a remarkable coincidence or the FBI lady is a liar.

If the latter is true, how do people like this get promoted to positions of authority?

She didn't lie. Her wording was deliberate and careful. They are taught to speak this way, especially if they think the perp could be an insider...insider to Yale (be it student or faculty including maintenance).

If animal research was going on in the building, has anyone looked into the possibility of an animal rights activist doing this?

I just posted what the fbi was quoted as saying.. .that the steam did come from a laboratory hood. The picture of the hood that I looked up was a "steam" hood...

(posted upstream)

The reason I posted the quote was because it was a lot more detail about what set off the steam alarm than we knew earlier.
It's not a steam hood, the model is a XStream hood. It's a play on the fact that what a hood does is sucks the air through it in a stream. What you do is put stuff in a lab hood that you don't want contaminating the air in the lab. So if you are using a noxious chemical or something that smells real bad you can put it in the hood and not be exposed to the vapours. The hood sucks them out an expells them through a chimney on top of the roof of the lab.

It's not something obvious to people who don't use them so like most lab equipment it can be understandably a little confusing. If you look at the picture in the link you posted you'll see the lady is standing outside the hood and working with something inside it. Anyway since the hood keeps air out of the lab I don't think you would use it to purposefully set off an alarm. I don't remember exactly what the FBI woman said at the press conference but I didn't get the impression it was from a lab hood.

She didn't lie. Her wording was deliberate and careful. They are taught to speak this way, especially if they think the perp could be an insider...insider to Yale (be it student or faculty including maintenance).

The Dean of Yale Med School thinks it was an insider:

Robert Alpern, dean of the Yale School of Medicine, where Le was studying for a Ph.D. in pharmacology, said in a telephone interview Sunday night that access to the basement where Le was found is limited to certain people with approved Yale magnetic identification cards, as it is at all University facilities where research is conducted on animals.

“I think that it suggests it was someone who could get into that space,” he said. “It certainly would be extremely difficult for someone from outside of Yale to get into that space. Not impossible, but extremely difficult.”

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/u...-body-found-10-amistad-st-police-suspect-it-/

At that link you can see a photo of the basement where she was found.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-annie-le14-2009sep14,0,4143832.story?page=1

Caixia Lv, 28, a graduate student who lives around the corner from Le, works in the basement quarters of the same research center.

"Many of my friends were warning me that I should be careful because there usually aren't many people in that area and I look so much like Le," she said.

"But it's still not sure what really happened."

Returning from a Sunday morning jog past Le's home, Lv said Yale students had been more confused than scared by the disappearance.

In fact, it had mesmerized many undergraduates on the Yale campus, a vibrant Ivy League world generally oblivious to the city that surrounds it -- until something like this happens.

Thomas Kaplan, editor of the Yale Daily News, said that undergraduates, who had only returned to classes within the last two weeks, were fascinated by the possibilities of a major crime on the grounds of the medical school.

Murder in a secure facility at Yale University is highly unlikely, but here we are faced with the reality. It isn't out of the question to suspect a motive of someone being found out doing something which would jeopardize the program or the research. The stakes are very high in this arena. Students have spent much money and time to be there. If something were to happen which could end their goals and ultimate careers, would it be worth killing someone? People have killed for much less. Academia stems from great passion among great minds.

To me it seems to be about jealousy and rage for some reason. A passionate crime.

Me too! Could it be someone she worked with? I mean, maybe not directly worked with, but somebody that maybe became infatuated with her...or maybe somebody that was jealous b/c they wanted to be part of that team but was instead made part of another? Maybe if they new that Annie's research team was on the verge of something big, they would know there'd be a better payoff, and maybe they were jealous b/c their post would take longer to reach their goals. Again, have no idea, just speculating. For her to be killed so close to her wedding, I can help but think it's somebody she saw everyday, not just in passing, and this person knew her wedding was impending.

http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/pdf/fumehood.pdf

doing some lab hood research. I have found something that may be interesting on page six of this pdf document entitled: "how to select the right laboratory hood system". I was specifically looking for anything related to steam.

On page six there is one type of lab hood called a canopy hood that is, "designed to remove STEAM, HEAT, or ODORS from large bulky equipment such as ovens, STEAM BATHS, or AUTOCLAVES".. if the hood was turned off on purpose the steam from whatever equipment it was venting could have set off the steam alarm.

moo

I'd like to mention something...It may have been founded by him but I have a very sneaky suspicion he knows something's up. There are sooo many ways to get grants to work in your favor, one of them is by faking research or "adding" to the data that was found by someone else. If the data shows that it's probable or promissing, then the more money your research team or university is funded for such causes. If a member of that team finds that something's off and disproves it, the university can lose some of that funding and/or be fined. Trust me, this is just a brainstorm. I do not believe this is political, let me repeat probably not political (subject to change) but it's a scenario worth throwing out there.

I would also like to reiterate that Cancer research, AIDS & HIV, Diabetes are all closely related. As a matter of fact, many scientists and microbiologists sort of believe if a cure for diabetes can be found, then a vaccine for AIDS will be found shortly after. Just sayin'. How do I know this? I learned it at FSU from 1989-1992.

From what we do know, it's been reported that that whole building, especially the area Annie worked in, was digitally secure and monitored. The perp, I would think, would be another student or somebody that was able to pass high clearance to be a maintenance worker in that building. I would "hope" that somebody working in maintenance would have to pass a critical & thorough background check in order to work in that building, less of a check in other parts of the university.

I thought this new venture of his was interesting since he had stole the Imclone patent and wonder what he would do in order to get credit for another drug development.

(posted upstream)

Actually, at the Saturday press conference where that quote supposedly came from, nobody said anything about a steam hood. It's just another instance of the press misreporting.

"LORIMER: From the reports that I have gotten, it was a kind of fire alarm that is not the old-fashioned kind that someone might have pulled. One of the questions I had about this. It was a kind that would be automatically triggered. in this case, the underlying rationale was there was steam that came out of a piece of equipment and steam set it off, I think much in the same way we might have one of the alarm go off in our house, if you're boiling something on the kitchen stove.

UNIDENTIFIED REPORTER: And was it an accidental stream or was it a steam that was caused by a human being?

MERTZ: I believe it was caused by a human being opening up a device that let the steam out."
http://archives.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0909/12/cnr.07.html

I believe you are right. If I am correct in my suspicion that she was working in a basement animal facility it would be likely that Dr. Schlessinger had never, or very rarely been in there. If he has animals, his students and technicians would be the ones to work with them. Also- access is restricted- he would have to swipe in, and how would he explain that? Would he really know where to stash a body in a place he was not familiar with? Believe me, department heads are not spending their time in animal rooms.
It is far, far more likely to be someone who worked in that area every day. Animal care, facilities, or maintenance. Even another student or tech who worked there regularly.

I also believe they already know or have a very good idea who did this.

MOO.

I feel the same way - re bold above! They would have to have knowledge of who was in there from the day before til more than 24 hours after Annie was reported missing. I'm certain they're looking at everyone closely, and I strongly suspect they know something...moo

SNIPPED:

I would think research could be involved somehow - especially if someone had a career on the line. My mother is a chemist. She once had to blow the whistle on someone in the professional world who was falsifying data. Even though she was one of the whistle blowers, it was difficult for her to find another research job immediately thereafter - it was the most recent project on her resume!

Imagine the future of the person actually falsifying the data ... motive for murder.

Tragic Find In Search for Yale Student
Body of 24-year-old Bride-to-be Apparently Found in Wall of University Building Accessible Only to Students and Staff
NEW HAVEN, Conn., Sept. 14, 2009
<snipped>
Just seven months before police found what they believe is Annie Le's body hidden in a Yale University building, the graduate student wrote a magazine article about how to stay safe on the streets around the Ivy League school.

The 24-year-old bride-to-be, who had been missing since Tuesday, apparently met a violent death in a secure Yale building accessible only to students and staff, police said Sunday on what was supposed to be her wedding day.

Police would not confirm reports that another student was being questioned and had failed a lie detector test, CBS News correspondent Randall Pinkston reported on CBS' "The Early Show."

State police found the body in a building in Yale's medical complex, about a mile from the main campus. It was in an area that houses utility cables that run between floors.

Criminal profiler Pat Brown suggested to "The Early Show" that because Le never left the building, "all the evidence is there. The bloody clothing they found, I'm guessing, if it's related to this crime is the perpetrator's clothing and that's why it was stuffed up there in the ceiling tile, which would be fantastic because there would be evidence on that clothing, perhaps DNA from the person, so they'll at least be able to put this creep away.

"But they're going to be looking at people she knew well, somebody she worked with - a professor, another student, somebody who knew her schedule, knew where she was, and that she wouldn't have been afraid of when she was in the lab. And that's why she wasn't aware that she was in any danger."

Jennifer Simpson, a friend of Le's who met her at a summer program at the National Institutes of Health in 2006, told "Early Show" anchor Maggie Rodriguez that she hasn't been able to sleep much since news of her disappearance. "It truly is very, very sad. My heart goes out to John and Annie's family and John's family and all her friends."

The university planned a candlelight vigil at 8 p.m. Monday at the Ivy League school. The Yale Daily News says an e-mail to the Yale community invites participants to "bring a candle and join us in solidarity."

Video: Yale Student's Body Found
Five days after Yale grad student Annie Le went missing, police believe they found her body, Randall Pinkston reports. Maggie Rodriguez spoke with Le's friend and criminal profiler Pat Brown.
[ame="http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5309231n"]Yale Student's Body Found - CBS News Video[/ame]

Photo Essay: Yale Student Found Dead
Annie Le, a promising graduate student, was found dead on her would-be wedding day
http://www.cbsnews.com/elements/2009/09/11/crimesider/photoessay5303665.shtml

Article:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/14/national/main5309172.shtml?tag=contentBody;cbsCarousel

:angel:

You can see the ceiling tiles in the basement...

basement1_jpg_200x1000_q85.jpg

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/u...-body-found-10-amistad-st-police-suspect-it-/

Agreed, MJ deeply saddened by this outcome. From the very beginning alot of us were "baffled" as to why Annie was not recorded leaving the building. Many days to find the bloody clothes and body in the basement. Where cadaver dogs could have picked up this scent DAY 1, University police took upon themselves to try and resolve this quietly (What a joke). Based on all News reports now, the fact the body was placed in the WALL of one of their buildings, that maybe just maybe, State and local police will react more quickly in the future. I certainly don't hope its one of their professors that murdered this wonderfully brilliant student.

I also wonder if Annie was dead before she placed in the wall? Was Annie alive and left in this walls for days..:mad:
They brought in bloodhounds first to find her trail and got the hit on the bloody clothes.Then they brought in German shepherds which, I'm guessing ,were cadaver dogs.I think it's possible that may be why they were searching the landfill.If they got a hit in the basement,but saw no body they would assume it had been moved.It may have taken time to find out about the false wall.
We have a tracking dog [Fred ,in my siggie] for my son with autism.The dogs rarely fail,but the handlers have to use judgement calls at times.JMO.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachel_008