DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATED: Police: Arrest In Yale Case Unlikely Tuesday
Cause Of Death Expected To Be Released
POSTED: 9:16 am EDT September 15, 2009
UPDATED: 11:11 am EDT September 15, 2009
<snipped>
Police said an arrest is not likely to be made Tuesday in connection with the death of Yale University graduate student Annie Le.

Police sources said detectives have honed in on a suspect in the killing of Le, but that more interviews needed to be conducted.

Sources said the suspect is a Yale employee and works in the lab where the remains of Le were found stuffed behind a wall.

The suspect failed a lie detector test and has wounds that suggest a recent struggle, according to sources.

Le's remains were found in a basement lab of a Yale building on Amistad Street on Sunday, her would-be wedding day. The remains were positively identified as Le during an autopsy on Monday. The medical examiner said the manner in which Le died was expected to be released after 3 p.m. Tuesday.

Video: Police Narrow In On Suspect In Yale Killing
http://www.wfsb.com/video/20921996/index.html

Article:
http://www.wfsb.com/news/20921664/detail.html

:angel:

The woman never knew of his intentions. He would get depressed around Aug. every year like clockwork. So when he started feeling blue it was no surprise to me until he never came back home. He was diagnosed with OCD, Bi Polar, and a few others throughout his life until he met the Dr that properly diagnosed him with PS. He always bit his nails to the extreme. Ya know how some people just gnaw at their nails? He did but he would bite the skin off to. I thought that it was due to the skin getting dried out and chaffing or callusing up so to speak. So I just thought it was part of his OCD. The Dr told me that he was biting off his fingerprints and trying to alter them so he wouldn't get caught. I still don't trust anyone I don't think. I try really hard to overcome my trust issues but its very hard. He will always be in my life b/c I have 2 AWESOME kiddos with him. It is beyond hard to explain to them why I divorced their dad. At this point they ask why I broke up our family. I just wanna scream it out loud sometimes but I can't fathom what that would do to them to hear that. So I carry the burden and probably always will. I watch them like a hawk for signs of PS or anything else that he may have passed on to them. His mother said that he was very much a loner as a kid but she just thought he was shy. He does take a cocktail of medication on a daily basis. He said he would never stop or he would act on his fantasies. I wish he did talk to the TV or imaginary people then I think I could have handled it. But when you find out that your best friend, the person you trust most in the world wants to be Ted Bundy I think it's time to reevaluate the relationship ya know.The Dr said he had a certain type of PS that serial killers and killers in general have. I looked like that chick from the Linda Blair Project with tears and snot pouring off my chin screaming at this poor Dr telling him over and over "You don't know him I do he's my best friend I sleep next to him every night you don't." Before I was told why exactly he had been committed I had talked to some attorneys and a judge that said this Dr couldn't hold my husband unless he was a threat to society. Of course I was screaming this at the Dr as well that I was gonna sue and cussing him so badly. After a while of this going on the Dr stood up and put his finger at the tip of my nose and screamed Lady you don't know who you sleep next to every night! Then he proceeded to tell me the details and asked my hubby to tell about how he was going to kill some poor woman that he had been stalking. I stopped crying and started gasping for air and fell in the seat behind me. It was like someone ran over me with an 18 wheeler truck. The first question I asked was "Is he gonna hurt my children or me?" The Dr said not likely b/c they look at people in a "robotic" way. He said that generally family members are the last ones to get hurt from these types. But anyone on the "outside" of our family circle would be in grave danger of him.

Wow, you are an amazingly strong woman.... :clap: :clap:

No. A lab tech is not usually a student.

I'm basing this off of my local state college. They have several lab techs on their payroll, but they are also students. Do you think it could depend on the college or university and their level of higher education?

Thanks for the welcome, and apologies for the autoclave reference! Like Labrat, they have always been a little scary to me! I think a couple of news agencies reported the finding of "human remains", which sent my already-active imagination into overdrive. I do sincerely hope that I am way off-base on this one. This whole story strikes too close to home - and I am not even at Yale.

Regarding "opportunity" in this case: The suites in our facility are not too large, and have doors with small windows in them. It is possible for one person to work alone and be completely undisturbed. The lab/animal techs may come in and out, but if there was one tech assigned to a particular set of suites, and that tech may have been aware that Annie was the only person *supposed* to be working in that suite.

Even if the crime was not premeditated, I can easily believe that the tech could have assaulted her without raising the attention of other staff (based on the layout of our facility). In this scenario, the body could be left in the suite (possibly behind a rack of cages). Triggering the fire alarm would have provide ample time to clear the facility of staff and permit the tech to hide the body.

As the media have speculated, I imagine the police have a prime suspect and plenty of circumstantial evidence. I'm guessing that they are waiting for bullet-proof forensic evidence, either from the bloodied clothes, or from the body itself. I do hope they can build a strong case.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a lab tech a student???

NO! I posted a long detailed description about the difference between a grad student and a lab tech about two pages back. A student does not earn a salary, a lab tech does...

Sorry for saying this, but it would be helpful for people to read a bit before posting.

Bumping up Labrat's explanation of using Rodent services and Labs.

They would absolutely be required to use the services. This is true in every university that uses animals. As I explained previously it is not permitted to house mice in your laboratory. They must be kept in an animal facility- this is all explained actually on another page of the site that's posted above. You must go to that facility to work with your mice- you can only remove mice from the facility for terminal experiments. If you take them out they can not go back. Animal use is extremely regulated. If anyone violates the rules badly enough, their research projects can be shut down.

This is how it works- There is an entire department in charge of everyone's animals. Scientists must order mice through this department- it assigns investigators space for their animals. People who are going to work with the animals receive training in the proper handling of research animals before they are allowed access to the facility. Yale has multiple facilities in different buildings, as do we. These facilities generally each have a supervisor and multiple animal/husbandry techs. These animal techs are responsible for changing cages, checking food and water every day, room sanitizing, bringing in supplies, cagewashing, autoclaving, euthanizing, housing new animals, etc.

It is a very hot, dirty, physically demanding job which generally does not pay very well. It does not require higher education. These techs would not be visiting research labs, co-authoring papers, etc.

Laboratory technicians work in the research labs. These techs can range from someone who washes glassware and makes solutions all the way up to lab manager. They often provide support to the doctoral students and post docs, but more advanced techs will often have their own experiments to do- these techs are often co-authors of research papers.

Anyone listed in Bennett's laboratory would not be an animal tech- they might work with his animals, but they are not an animal tech.

These are very different jobs.

I saw a pic of LZ with a woman (if it's the same pic you saw) and they are sitting at a bar. If that's what you are talking about, that is not Annie. If you have another pic in mind can you please share?

ETA: Are you talking about this picture? http://www.yale.edu/denglab/pictures/labnews/suhua/lei_hyejin.jpg

Not only is it not Annie, I think that the "LZ" is the female. People are assuming LZ is a male name.

I don't think that has anything to do with anything. I don't know how the name came up in the first place? I checked it out, all the same...(as we are wont to do here;) ) I saw the same picture on another forum, and I don't think it means anything at all.

LabRat & Gene, I deleted my answer. I don't want to mislead anyone. I based my answer off of my local college, not a major university...which maybe could make a difference.

I have read several references to the auatopsy results being released at 3 p.m. EDT, not noon). I think the news folks in Sacramento have it wrong -- the 3-hour time difference and all that.

Also I want to take the opportunity to thank Labrat for her contributions to this board!

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a lab tech a student???

Sorry KR2, I see it is your first post and I do not want to discourage you. But sometimes, the same questions are asked and answered several times in the same thread. Here is my post answering your question:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4159767&postcount=84"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CT- Annie Le, missing from Yale, thread #5 FOUND DECEASED[/ame]

Lab tech and student were confused several times here and I thought it would be helpful to explain it...and I took some time to make the difference clear. I do hope it is clear now and I hope you post some more....

I am fairly new here but not new to forums. My homebase, a forum for the missing, discourages speculation and promotes posting only facts. I deleted the post immediately after I thought about it and the possibility it could be a common name. I am sorry it caused confusion and added to speculation.

need more coffee- going back to my corner to lurk.

No need to lurk, no one here means any harm. I think we all checked it out, all the same...we are google machines here, so if someone throws out ANY name we usually google it. I think we're all guilty of it:)

I am finding more than one person with huge credentials on the net for this name LZ. Please be careful. Lets be fair. LE knows what they are doing.

Yes. Thank you very much for opening up. I am truly sorry for what must have been one of the most devastating things a spouse or anyone really could have to endure.

You seem to have survived pretty much intact if much wiser for the experience.

I'm curious as to how your ex-husband knew this woman? Did you even know her? Does he still harbor an attachment to her?

Your story has an interesting aspect. How many woman (or men) have murderous stalkers and are unaware of it like the woman in your story? And more so, how many of these stalkers, like your husband, are stopped in the nick of time?

Were I the one being stalked and not knowing I had a stalker following me, I would want to know it if the authorities knew. I shudder to think about an instance where the stalker is released from jail/mental facility, was off his meds, etc. and then decided to finish the job... and there you are, not knowing you were ever in danger and could be in danger again.

I don't know who she was. The Dr nor my ex would tell me. I said the exact same thing to the Dr that she should know. If I were wearing her shoes I would want to know just like you said. We should have that right as victims or would be victims. I think I had it pieced together that is was a woman that worked at a gas station on his way to work. I went OVER and OVER and OVER his normal routines to try and figure it out. The only person I came up with, thru my own detective work, was an older (50ish) sweet lady at the gas station. It could very well have been someone that he worked with at the plant tho. I will never know and hate that. I don't know if he still harbors an attachment for her. We only talk when necessary and my skin crawls every time. I can say the other thing that always stood out to me is that in 8 yrs he never hollered at me, not once. I did a lot of hollering tho lol. I just always thought I was the unstable one b/c he could ALWAYS keep his cool and I would get upset about stuff. I would NEVER trust anyone that doesn't have some sort of temper as crazy as that sounds.

Kinda like KC, although she was explosive at home, others saw her as super sweet, funny, energetic, very outgoing, life of the party. I don't think she is PS by any means. I think she has borderline personality disorder or something along those lines. He's very likable like her.

This guy the tech may have had an obsession that she never had a clue about. At least not to the extreme he did. Another possibility is that he was obsessed with someone else in the lab and he saw her as a threat to that relationship as an interference/competitive way with this person. I dunno.

I am finding more than one person with huge credentials on the net for this name LZ. Please be careful. Lets be fair. LE knows what they are doing.

You're right , I tried ''google images search'''. There are many LZ's and LZ can be both male or female

Seems like this reporter knows the name of the suspect and apparently he has no criminal record. If it is right he must be about 24 or 25 years old...

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archives/2009/09/city_yale_learn.php

(The suspect retained a lawyer. He&#8217;s no longer working at Yale. The state&#8217;s judicial website shows only one previous case involving the suspect, who was born in 1985; he was nabbed for &#8220;traveling unreasonably fast.&#8221;)

But that's what I'm finding. From what's online, the Amistad Building is the only research facility of it's kind in America, and within the top 3 in the world, possibly the best in the world. It was set up so that each department would interact with each other, making it easier for the occupants by supplying everything they need in that building, including handlers."Handlers supplied and supervised by the pre-existing Animal Care Department This is what is so confusing b/c alot of your experience where you work differs than how it's handled (or how it's set up) at Amistad Street. Not at all- exactly the same from what I'm seeing From what I'm finding out, the smaller rodents are "housed" right there. They've made it easy for them by giving them animal space in their own building, so they don't have to travel the way Annie did. When I spoke of the departments, it's listed as I found it online from I believe the president of Yale. I see that there's a veterinary clinic at a different location on campus, Yes, because the Animal Care Department is staffed by veterinarians who travel to all the animal facilities, including the one in Amistad, which is part of the Animal Care Department. so that threw me off. But, and this is a big but, the other stuff is to the book with what I keep finding. I know that the animal techs (that I was also considering lab techs, very sorry if I offended anyone) are not part of these research teams. I know they are hired as staff by the university. More specifically, by the Animal Care Department But, this is where it seems to get confusing, they do have staff that remains at Amistad, animal tech staff that is. Yes, employees of the Animal Care Department inside the animal facility in Amistad run by the Animal Care Department I was thinking that each of the 3 departments takes up a certain amount of space, and each would have their own space amoung the animals for experiments. Yes, they would, in the facility under the care and management of the Animal Care Department. Or am I wrong in thinking that? This is where I'm getting that the perp could be narrowed down,Not really, because the animal techs might be assigned to one specific animal room, but would most likely have access to all rooms inside the facility they are assigned to. b/c each area of research has their own designated space. Yes, inside the animal facility run by and staffed by the Animal Care Department Or am I confused all over again.

I have to say, this is the most animated I've been in months! All of you scientists here, I simply cannot thank you enough for every single one of your contributions. While forensics & the intricate nature of pathology concerns me, this dialogue is most interesting! Thank you all so very much for joining Websleuths!

I don't care what they've written in a press release. No one is so special that their animal use will escape the oversight of the Animal Care Department.
Animal use is very, very regulated. There are Federal and State laws and regulations that must be followed. Animal Care Departments are set up to do this. There are research protocols that must be followed, every single lab must have an approved protocol if they are using animals. Violate your protocol badly and your research can be halted. If there are enough violations at an institution all animal research can be halted until the violations are corrected. The USDA, the NIH, and the IACUC are not impressed that your press release says you are the best in the world, even if it is true!

If you go back and look at the Animal Care Dept's info page you will find Amistad listed under one of their supervisors.

Seems like this reporter knows the name of the suspect and apparently he has no criminal record. If it is right he must be about 24 or 25 years old...

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archives/2009/09/city_yale_learn.php

(The suspect retained a lawyer. He’s no longer working at Yale. The state’s judicial website shows only one previous case involving the suspect, who was born in 1985; he was nabbed for “traveling unreasonably fast.”)

Well then this should help us figure out who it is - all we have to do is take the different lab tech names and put them in the state's judicial website to see which has that info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway